PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on pruning a rose bush

murrayslandscaping22
03-29-2009, 10:50 PM
One of my customers wants me to do a spring clean up, and he asked me to do a couple of things for him and he also asked me to prun his rose bush and i told him i know how but i really dont know how to at all because i never did it before. If any1 knows how or has some tips on how to plese tell me thanks.

foreplease
03-29-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/pruning-roses-how-to-prune-rose-bushes.html
Happy Sunday

MajesticUSA
03-29-2009, 11:22 PM
This is what I do at my own house... but there are many diffrent methods...

1-Use clean, sharp tools (roses are very susceptible to diseases)

2-Look at the overall plant, but begin pruning from the base of the plant.

3-Prune to open the center of the plant to light and air circulation

4-Make your cuts at a 45-degree angle, about 1/4 inch above a bud that is facing toward the outside of the plant.(never cut any buds off)

5-Make sure it is a clean cut (not ragged)

6-Remove all broken, dead, dying or diseased wood (Any branches that look dry, shriveled or black. Cut until the inside of the cane is white.)

7-Remove any weak or twiggy branches thinner than a pencil

8-If cane borers are a problem in your area, seal the cut with a white glue, such as Elmer’s.

9-Remove sucker growth 1/4 to1/3 the way up from the bottom (depending on height.)

10-Remove any remaining foliage 1/4 to 1/3 way up from the bottom depending on height)

cgaengineer
03-30-2009, 08:14 AM
This is what I do at my own house... but there are many diffrent methods...

1-Use clean, sharp tools (roses are very susceptible to diseases)

2-Look at the overall plant, but begin pruning from the base of the plant.

3-Prune to open the center of the plant to light and air circulation

4-Make your cuts at a 45-degree angle, about 1/4 inch above a bud that is facing toward the outside of the plant.(never cut any buds off)

5-Make sure it is a clean cut (not ragged)

6-Remove all broken, dead, dying or diseased wood (Any branches that look dry, shriveled or black. Cut until the inside of the cane is white.)

7-Remove any weak or twiggy branches thinner than a pencil

8-If cane borers are a problem in your area, seal the cut with a white glue, such as Elmerís.

9-Remove sucker growth 1/4 to1/3 the way up from the bottom (depending on height.)

10-Remove any remaining foliage 1/4 to 1/3 way up from the bottom depending on height)

Its funny you suggest all this and I know your way is the correct way...I cut mine off at the ground and they do fine! I got pissed off last year because of jap beetles and I thought I would kill the bushes by pruning them back severely...well they fought back and are alive and well this year!

murrayslandscaping22
03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys

openbook
03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
I start by removing a couple old large canes that are bigger than a quarter. That will free up alot of energy for new growth.

nysuz
04-01-2009, 11:32 AM
It also depends upon which roses you have. Hybrids are different than the more wild ones. Just remember to leave the top bud outward. That way all your new growth will go outward and leave the inside for airflow. The cut should angle down and away from the bud. And yes you can cut buds off. Every time you prune even 3-5 inches, there are buds in there. But established roses are tough and will survive a bad pruning. I have seen it happen.

yardatwork
04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
I cut mine back no lower than 5 leaf stems in prep for winter. In the spring I let them grow and always cut the dead flowers off to enhance more flowers. However, everything CGA said is the way to do the actual pruning.