PDA

View Full Version : How do you define..."NO SOLICITATION".... ?

Exact Rototilling
03-29-2009, 11:56 PM
I've actually asked a few customers of mine who have these signs asking them if a door hanger or flyer left [but no door knocking] would be offensive to them? Both of them said they had no issue with door hanger or flyers.

What has been your experience?

I'm personally really annoyed by door knockers myself...dogs go nuts barking & jumping etc. :dizzy:

BCFLawnLandscape
03-31-2009, 09:24 PM
I was told by a policeman that Soliciting is anything where you leave your information. Whether it be flyer, biz card or door hanger. This is still considered soliciting. There are also alot of high end towns and townships that are No Soliciting in the entire town! You need to register with the town's police dept. as a solicitor, (no cost to you) and you can be on your way! Hope this helps!!!

gqnine44
03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Every good salesman knows that those signs dont apply to them.

I'm not going to knock on their door (but I dont advertise this way) but I am not afraid of the sign. Who cares if they get pissed? Let 'em sue you if you feel like knockin'.

RickR1818
04-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Actually that cop must be an idiot. Soliciting usually involves door to door or cold calling and actually taking to someone and trying to "sell" them a product. If you leave a door hanger or flier it is technically "Canvassing". You are not actually selling anything. However, in some cities you need a permit to canvass

Carolina Cuts
04-02-2009, 12:20 AM
"Canvassing" = distributing

distributing fliers to advertise and/or entice business = soliciting. I don't like it, but it's true.

Household definations, depending on the residential homeowners "Mood" vary.
Some will complain, others will not.

I had one voicemail left on my phone out of 2500 distributed fliers. A complaint about my postcards. And that's about it, a complaint. My postcards still got out regardless of his b@#$ing at me.

bohiaa
04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Every good salesman knows that those signs dont apply to them.

I'm not going to knock on their door (but I dont advertise this way) but I am not afraid of the sign. Who cares if they get pissed? Let 'em sue you if you feel like knockin'.

Every Good sales man knows these signs mean " WE DONT KNOW HOW TO SAY NO"

that's the way I was taught what it ment..

S.I.
04-11-2009, 12:09 AM
You guys sound like the guys that knock on my door at 8:00 on Saturday mornings. The 'No Soliciting' sign means just that.

Solicit by definition per Websters Dictionary: 1.to try to obtain by earnest plea 2. to entreat; petition 3.to lure; entice 4.to solicit something desired, as orders or trade

By leaving fliers, door hangers, or any other form of advertising you are 'trying to obtain' the business of these people. You are attempting to lure or entice them into hiring you to take care of maintenance on their property. You do not have to knock on the door to be considered soliciting. This is actually illegal (in most places) and can lead to some pretty hefty fines.

I'm not sure why you would want to leave an advertisement at a residence where could possibly pi$$ them off. Write down the address of these places when you are out, and mail the ad when you get home. Respect peoples wishes and privacy.

Gene $immons
04-11-2009, 03:12 AM
I get about one call per 5000 flyers - usually from some old grumpy lady. Just throw the thing away already. Like it really disturbed her. lol

garmel
04-11-2009, 08:37 AM
My mother always taught me not to believe everything I read....I tell people that if they say something about their sign, especially in a business but it usually gets a laugh.

JimmyStew
04-11-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure why you would want to leave an advertisement at a residence where could possibly pi$$ them off. Write down the address of these places when you are out, and mail the ad when you get home. Respect peoples wishes and privacy.

Exactly!!! If they tell you up front that they don't want to deal with you, why waste your time. Its like the idiot telemarketers that keep talking when you tell them no. Do they think arguing with me is going to change my mind???

IN2MOWN
04-11-2009, 01:20 PM
In my city and the surrounding ones soliciting means physically knocking on the doors and trying to talk to someone.

All of them told me that technically flyers or door hangers are not considered soliciting but just in case if you see a sign just to leave the house alone.

Happy Frog
04-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I live in a "no-soliciting" comunauty (private road) and solicitor gets to go but a few doors before they booted out... :laugh:
We have a sign at the entrance and it does not matter if you are registered or not, you'll be shown the exit gate in no time at all...

One day, we had an ice cream truck going in playing its little tune. My neighbor went to told the guy he had no business being here. The poor guy replied that some residents wanted their kids to buy ice cream and gave him a gate code. My neighbor went nuts over it and told him to never, ever come back and the guy was gone in a heartbeat...
My neighbor was so pissed, I was laughing my but off :laugh::laugh::laugh:

gqnine44
04-12-2009, 10:14 AM
This used to be a free country. The idea of a neighborhood banning soliciting of any kind has always bothered me.

And anyone who calls to complain about a flier on their door deserves a few more.

Jon11
04-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I agree with your clients, I don't mind flyers on my door, but knocking really pisses me off (I took the time to put that no soliciting sing up for a reason)... I am probably too paranoid, but when some random person knocks on my door I answer with a glock in my hand behind my back.

Happy Frog
04-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I agree with your clients, I don't mind flyers on my door, but knocking really pisses me off (I took the time to put that no soliciting sing up for a reason)... I am probably too paranoid, but when some random person knocks on my door I answer with a glock in my hand behind my back.

+1
Never, ever, open your door to a stranger without a mean to defend yourself and your home. :hammerhead:

Lawn Pawn
04-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Have an engraved sign on the front door that says......

Absolutely no salesman or soliciting without an appointment.

So.....a knock on the door one day... open the door to see a peddler standing there. I look at my sign... then back at him not saying anything. And he says..... I'd like to make an appointment.

Just shook my head and closed the door.

Lawn Pawn
04-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Many many years ago..... a young 18 maybe ..... gentleman.... came to the door and was very very pushy..... aggressive.... and persistent!!! I was very polite but firm in saying sorry but not interested.

As he walked away he said under his breath... you stupid Fu.....r.

Felt like ripping him a new one with a claw hammer!!!!!!! But went inside and called the company he was representing, and gave them a piece of my mind. Maybe did no good... but I felt better. Always think of the old people parasites like this swindle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMK
04-19-2009, 06:27 PM
You are right on S.I.

Best way to NOT get business is going into a no soliciting neighborhood with your flyers. Especially when you leave them on mailboxes or somewhere else & they start blowing all over the neighborhood.

1styear
05-09-2009, 05:30 AM
I will share this little trick that I learned by accident doing something that I thought was pretty ballsy.

I obtained my best customer by driving past two expensive metal no soliciting signs and another few keep out signs posted on both sides of the driveway which is easily 350 yards long and knocking on the front door. I kept thinking about those two big NO SOLICITING & PRIVATE PROPERTY KEEP OUT signs that must have cost a fortune and was thinking to myself... Oh crap I really shouldn't be doing this.

First thing I said was, I saw your no soliciting sign and I realized this is probably a really bad idea but I was already speeding down your driveway and thought I should tell you who I am and what I am doing here instead of just leaving and looking suspicious.

So now whenever I see the no solicit sign I just knock and say the same line instead of driving it is "cutting through your yard"

Sometimes the honesty catches people off guard and it helps build repore instantly. They say, "what are you selling?" If they do not ask just move on. I have never had anyone get mad at me yet. (I will report back when they do and say how it went)

They don't really get mad when you act like you've already done something wrong and know it and are confessing right of the bat. It's weird, must be a psychological thing.

FourTrees
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
There is no form of advertising that does not upset some people. Many cities consider door selling and leaving fliers as separate forms of advertising. Some cities require separate lisc. for each.

I have caught people in there yard (NO SOLICIT sign clearly visible) as I was taking a flier to door. Said "just delivering this flier for our Lawn Care company". They asked for details, sold them our services. I have been called back by many people that have sign, but I left flier anyway. Sold services to a number of people with sign.

I do not like having to answer door and speak with a solicitor, I have a sign on my home.

I have a sign on my home as I just said and I do not mind it if someone leaves a flier I can respond to if I am interested in service.

LouisianaLawnboy
02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I live in a "no-soliciting" comunauty (private road) and solicitor gets to go but a few doors before they booted out... :laugh:
We have a sign at the entrance and it does not matter if you are registered or not, you'll be shown the exit gate in no time at all...

One day, we had an ice cream truck going in playing its little tune. My neighbor went to told the guy he had no business being here. The poor guy replied that some residents wanted their kids to buy ice cream and gave him a gate code. My neighbor went nuts over it and told him to never, ever come back and the guy was gone in a heartbeat...
My neighbor was so pissed, I was laughing my but off :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't think you can make a ice cream truck leave off of public roads, but if they are privately owned and maintaned roads that is a different story.

Exact Rototilling
02-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for resurrecting this thread almost a year later...:D

This last last November I did my biggest flyer run in history solo for snow removal. When I saw "NO SOLICITATION" I was FRANKLY split 50/50 on if I left the flyer for snow removal. Turns out one became a snow customer...."Hey Glad you left the flyer despite my sign". The other was an angry scribbled flyer left on my windshield along with a restricted call to my biz line ....all the rest no reaction.

On this last run....when I saw a "NO SOLICITATION" sign ...as crazy as this sounds I basically left it up to gut instinct if I should leave the flyer or not basically 50/50....only saw one sign that said "NO SOLICITATION OF ANY KIND"....skipped that one.

I'm really leaning towards hiring out some PT marketing and solicitation work this spring subcontract - when I'm too busy to market myself. Customer service experience....up to speed on quotes,...let me get back to the owner ASAP on this....customer service experience. Bonus for sign ups for just aeration bigger bonus for seasons lawn service. I prefer to do all my own marketing but.....oh well..:walking:

echeandia
02-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Putting door hangers on door knobs is not soliciting. It is generally considered "Distributing Handbills" under most state law. Soliciting is attempting to sell a good or service to a person directly or over the phone. Many places only permit direct soliciting with a permit. We leave door hangers at all the houses on our target neighborhoods.

Happy Frog
02-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I don't think you can make a ice cream truck leave off of public roads, but if they are privately owned and maintaned roads that is a different story.

Private property, private road which is privately maintained.
We control who can get in and for what purpose... :dancing:

Lawn Man Dave
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I never care when I find someting on my door, it is when people knock that drives me nut's. At both entrances to my subdivsion and for my parent's subdivision who have the same sign's people still come knocking and when you mention the sign's they just say they did not see them and still try and sell you something then go to the next house.

One company comes about once a year trying to sell this "really good cleaner". The first year the guy decided he wanted to show me how good it was by cleaning a spot on one of my wheel's...... the fried me...... last year a girl came and walked into my garage were I was working on one of the car's with my wife and said something like "so who is the boss when it comes to money". long story short I told her I would pass and did not have the money (really did not) then she tried to sell me a sample kit for $20, still said no and she aslo said that I had to pay her and that her partner in a black Tahoe (saw it earlier) would be back with the product and that my cop neighbor and his neighbor orderd some........ At one point I told her how the last guy decided to clean part of one of my wheel's and not ask an dit drove me nut's.... she then cleaned part of the shoe I was wearing and one of the wheel's haha. Told me how dirt will just run right off of it....... The sport on the shoe stayed clean for a few day's but I was not working in them...

That Tahoe...... I was working out in the garage the rest of the day and never saw it...... sorry, not going to give someone my money and trust them to come back with the product and as ussual they were in the area just for that time frame and could not come back...

Once two girl's came trying to sell carpet cleaning, no uniform's nothing, apparently it was also a pay now and we come back type thing....... they asked to come in and show me what their "chemicals" can do......... I passed.

timbersnake
01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
When I started reading this I had to agree with one poster that ...really?? People dont you realize that ALOT of companies out there this is how they survive by putting flyers out. We NEVER put them in a mailbox because that is illegal, but we do put flyers on post (not illegal) and have for over 20 years.
As for the gated community, if one (only one has too) resident gives you the code then you are in fact allowed to enter their royal kingdom(..rolling eyes) However they can in fact change the gate code to deny you access. Check the law.

: To Mr Frog.. dont you feel big and grown up you ran off the ice cream man by Intimidation not by law. But just think you kept that man from making a living. Good job.

This is a common problem... One person tries to make the "Executive decision" for everyone. Not EVERYONE in the neighborhood minds getting an advertisment and the proof is in the over 20 years of research.

I hope everyone here has a God filled day and forgive me for ranting here.

Oasis-Outdoor
02-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a no soliciting sign posted by my front door. I have always had more than enough business through word of mouth and biz and phone number on my business truck. Personally, if I distributed hand bills I would skip the houses with the no soliciting signs. I put mine up for several reasons. Our home was burglarized and as posted in a previous thread, some of these fly by night cleaner sales are just casing your house for a burglary. I also wanted to discourage the Jehovahs Witnesses. That did work. Their van unloaded across the street and I watched them from a remote window. I saw one of them look at my porch from the sidewalk, and did not approach. I just dislike doing business at the front porch. I guarantee if you ever get burglarized, you will come to "defend" your property, especially the front door!

inzane
02-03-2012, 02:46 AM
the only thing that gets me a little ticked off is when people put their flyer and/or biz card in a plastic bag with some rocks and toss it in my driveway. that to me shows that the person is lazy, and i wouldn't want to hire them to do anything. i always get alot of those here all year.

i always walked up and put the flyer on the door. if they had a NO SOLICITING sign, i just passed them over.