PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my equipment

ChrisGA
03-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Well went Thursday and bought a 5x10 trailer, Snapper Pro S50X 0.0 hours, RedMax EBZ 5100 blower and GT25N trimmer. Bought them all together and got a good deal on them all. Attached is 2 photos of my trailer and mower. They aint to good but I will get some better ones hopefully tomorrow with everything. Got my first yard to cut tomorrow haha but its my grandma's and im doing it for free but hey its my first yard with the mower !!!

2brothersyardcare
03-30-2009, 07:37 AM
nice man looks nice a nice 1 how much that set u back?

lawnbandit
03-30-2009, 07:56 AM
great new lowballer:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

sslopok
03-30-2009, 09:23 AM
there's nothing wrong with a little competition :)?
Congrats on the purchase.

gunner19
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM

What?
Someone posts some new equipment and that is what you assume?

Wow.

Good luck this year. Looks good.

lawnbandit
03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
if the shoe fits, lol I really dont care. just seeing these guys not paying taxes and not paying ins. workcomp etc... come behind and cut a lawn for 5bucks what the hell go get them tiger.....

ambersLawnmowing
03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
if the shoe fits, lol I really dont care. just seeing these guys not paying taxes and not paying ins. workcomp etc... come behind and cut a lawn for 5bucks what the hell go get them tiger.....

Your a fool, Did he say he didnt have any of that? I didnt read that. If he really was a lowballer he wouldnt have went and bought a NEW mower.. Dont hate because you dont have a new mower.

Nice looking mower man, Best of luck to ya this year. Dont let the haters get to you.

lawnbandit
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
well ask him then lol

ambersLawnmowing
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
well ask him then lol

What are you going to ask everyone if they are legal? You worry about the little things in life and cant see the big things.. Best of luck

Are you legal lawnbandit? Are you solo? where are the pics of your rig?

Green Finger
03-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Chris

Congrats on the mower. Remember the key is you stepped out on faith and bought a mower. Just like EVERYONE ELSE. What ever you choose to charge your customers is between you and them.

We ALL started out at some point with humble beginnings. Just learn and grow brother.

Focus on what is in Front of you and not the junk behind you.

lawnbandit
03-30-2009, 01:31 PM
I have a pic of my neon with a mower in the trunk lol( nice mower just threat your customers good, and plz price your jobs fair, then you can keep growing like the rest of us..And truly I wish you and ever one on here a GREAT season!!!!

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-30-2009, 01:34 PM
well said Green Finger. looks good is this your first ztr. if it is i would get some hours on it before you put it on customers lawns

ChrisGA
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies

As far as the equipment setting me back. Mower $4800 Backpack blower $200 Trimmer $120 Trailer $600 all in one day OUCH

To answer some questions no im not legal nor am I cutting customer's grass yet. Im working on getting legal and shouldn't take me to long I only have 1 customer and its my grandma's yard and im not charging her nothing.

Yes this is my first ZTR I have drove my friends which has a joystick but never one with the two controls and im new to them never drove one before until Thursday. Gonna have to get used to it.

Haha and as far as me being a lowballer. No im not planning on doing that. Besides you are in Michigan lawnbandit it wouldn't affect you anyways.

Anyways thanks guys/gals for the kind words and well wishes. I really appreciate it. Hope everyone has a great summer !

Petr51488
03-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Just a question. Why would you spend close to 4,000 on a mower and not have any accounts to cut?

ChrisGA
03-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Just a question. Why would you spend close to 4,000 on a mower and not have any accounts to cut?

cause im "starting" a lawn care business

KrayzKajun
03-30-2009, 05:13 PM

i was thinking the same thing!

hondarancher4435
03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
yea and everyone on here will tell you that you need to do it the oppsite way. you need customers before you go out blowing money on equipment.

Petr51488
03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
cause im "starting" a lawn care business

You should have bought a used commerical ztr, handhelds, and a bigger trailer for that type of money. You would have also had money left over for advertising so you can get business.

yea and everyone on here will tell you that you need to do it the oppsite way. you need customers before you go out blowing money on equipment.

Exactly

KCfireman
03-30-2009, 05:52 PM
He's gotta start somewhere! Go big instead of small!

ChrisGA
03-30-2009, 05:53 PM
You should have bought a used commerical ztr, handhelds, and a bigger trailer for that type of money. You would have also had money left over for advertising so you can get business.

Exactly

I have money for advertising. I have it advertised on craigslist and a few local community message boards. Tonight gonna print up some fliers to put up at some boards at local restaurants, convience stores, etc plus im writing an add right now to put in 4 local papers. I also tried to find used ZTR. Alot of folks were selling them on craigslist around here for almost what I bought mine brand new. Exmarks and many other well known brands were going for $3500-$6000 used with many hours. I'd rather spend a few more dollars and get a new one with 0 hours that way it has warranty and I dont have to worry about buying someone else's junk or problems. My mower comes with a 2 year warranty so I dont have to worry about it much as far as fixing problems. Plus the dealer told me that folks who buy equipment they go to the front of the line when it comes to repairs. He told me he takes care of his own customers who buy from him. Just the way I look at it although might not be the best. Time will tell.

Lakewlc
03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
great looking mower.. i would throw some sealer on that trailer tho..

ChrisGA
03-30-2009, 09:43 PM
great looking mower.. i would throw some sealer on that trailer tho..

thanks.
I took the trailer/mower to my cousins this weekend and I stayed the weekend. He told me next weekend he will put some on he has a 5 gallon bucket full.

punt66
03-30-2009, 09:51 PM

What do you people care how he spent his money? He got a good deal and he is ready to go. Thats how i started. With the RIGHT equipment to start with and never looked back.

Petr51488
03-30-2009, 10:39 PM
What do you people care how he spent his money? He got a good deal and he is ready to go. Thats how i started. With the RIGHT equipment to start with and never looked back.

To possibly point him in a better direction.

punt66
03-30-2009, 10:55 PM
To possibly point him in a better direction.
and what direction would that be?

Petr51488
03-31-2009, 12:11 AM
and what direction would that be?

To what i said before. Buy used commercial equipment, save money for advertising, and once you get a few accounts, then go out and buy newer equipment. Mainly waiting on buying new equipment before actually getting any accounts. Let the equipment make you money rather then buying new off the bat and waiting months to pay it off.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for buying new, but only if you have the work to warrant it.

MJS
03-31-2009, 12:26 AM
To what i said before. Buy used commercial equipment, save money for advertising, and once you get a few accounts, then go out and buy newer equipment. Mainly waiting on buying new equipment before actually getting any accounts. Let the equipment make you money rather then buying new off the bat and waiting months to pay it off.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for buying new, but only if you have the work to warrant it.

I think that it's a little bit late for all of these great ideas about buying used and getting customers first. . .

Would I have started that way? No, probably not, but there's no reason to say that he can't start and grow a successful biz this way.

All the best, man. :waving:

punt66
03-31-2009, 06:49 AM
It wasnt in my business plan to buy equipment twice. Buy new, get a deal and have a reliable money maker. Advertise, advertise, advertise. Its not hard to get clients.

ChrisGA
03-31-2009, 10:44 AM
It wasnt in my business plan to buy equipment twice. Buy new, get a deal and have a reliable money maker. Advertise, advertise, advertise. Its not hard to get clients.
I agree with you punt66 I didnt wanna buy residential equipment or used possibly junk equipment only for me to spend most of my time getting it repaired or buying parts.

I do have my first customer ! The lady who lives across from my grandmother is tired of her LCO not doing things right. Just coming in mowing and trimming and collecting money. LCO has been hitting her car with rocks and leaving grass clippings all over the driveway/road/car and she is looking for someone to come cut her lawn and trim some small tree's back. She is meeting with me when ever the weather clears which might be towards the end of the week sense its been raining like crazy. I went to my grandma's earlier today and just glanced at it. Looks like alot of pine straw in the front yard so that will have to be blown and raked so im sure it wouldnt hurt to do a spring clean up. Its an older couple that lives there and I told my grandma to tell her I give 10% off discount on seniors so im sure they will like that.

MortonLawn
03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
I agree with you punt66 I didnt wanna buy residential equipment or used possibly junk equipment only for me to spend most of my time getting it repaired or buying parts.

I do have my first customer ! The lady who lives across from my grandmother is tired of her LCO not doing things right. Just coming in mowing and trimming and collecting money. LCO has been hitting her car with rocks and leaving grass clippings all over the driveway/road/car and she is looking for someone to come cut her lawn and trim some small tree's back. She is meeting with me when ever the weather clears which might be towards the end of the week sense its been raining like crazy. I went to my grandma's earlier today and just glanced at it. Looks like alot of pine straw in the front yard so that will have to be blown and raked so im sure it wouldnt hurt to do a spring clean up. Its an older couple that lives there and I told my grandma to tell her I give 10% off discount on seniors so im sure they will like that.

your first customer, and you're already talking about giving out discounts. :dizzy: best of luck to you.

Petr51488
03-31-2009, 04:14 PM
your first customer, and you're already talking about giving out discounts. :dizzy: best of luck to you.

i agree. The only types of discounts i do is for my good accounts, which is mainly all of them. In most cases if theres extra garbage, or a limb that isn't excessive i'll clean it up without billing them. I don't think i've ever given any type of discount. What i would do is offer her maybe a free mowing for a referal, or for each referal. Word spreads fast with good work but also works vise versa.

punt66
03-31-2009, 05:06 PM

Dont listen to them. You are off to a good start. You did the right thing except the trailer. Should have gone a bit bigger on the trailer because you will want to get other equipment and a bagger and so on. But you can upgrade that later. If you would like some advice and have any questions PM me anytime you want and i would be happy to help.

ambersLawnmowing
03-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Dont listen to them. You are off to a good start. You did the right thing except the trailer. Should have gone a bit bigger on the trailer because you will want to get other equipment and a bagger and so on. But you can upgrade that later. If you would like some advice and have any questions PM me anytime you want and i would be happy to help.

I agree with everything punt66 said. I started with a new mower, and didnt have any work for it besides my yard. I didnt want to buy a used mower and then a few months later buy another one. That doesnt make much sence to me. Also getting work before you have the equipment is putting the cart before the horse. As for the trailer, i have found that you never have enough room on them no matter how big they are, but i still would have gone 12-14 long In the last 2 years i have bought 4 trailers for more room. As for discounts, Lets explain that the word Discount can be taken a few ways. Discount is a word used to draw people in. It doesnt mean that you will get a bill,and the person providing service is losing money. If i go to bid a job and know that it is a senior citizens home i mark it up a little and then "Show" a discount.

RLS24
03-31-2009, 07:46 PM
gotta start somewhere.....he'll learn. I personally wouldn't want the burden of having equipment debt like that without knowing how much business I was going to have and if I was going to be able to pay it back. But hey, nothing wrong with starting out with the right stuff thats for sure!

ChrisGA
03-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Yea I wish I could have bought a larger trailer but wanted to start small and basic. I wanted a 6x14 dual axle but dont think my v6 jeep would pull that around to good. But if business goes good maybe next year I can work on getting a different trailer and a better vehicle. I really want a enclosed though so I'll probably work on that.

But as far as senior discounts. I know of alot of seniors out there are struggling from week to week. I know at times my grandmother struggles financially. She draws disability and a pension but still cant make ends meet some months. So she at her age of 71 has to go clean houses to make ends meet. And im sure there are many others like that. So thats why I came up with the discount. Senior citizen's are special people. If I can save someone $10 than thats great. Yea I take a loss but I know in the back of my head that that $10 may or may not help a senior than a small loss is ok in my opinion. Alot of times a senior is tossed aside and put on the back burner in today's world. Now if I come rolling up in a nice $300K house I might show the discount like amberslawnmowing said but I wont actually give it. But if I roll up to a old lady's house and it looks like she needs it then I'll use my judgement and give her one.

Might not be the best "business plan" but atleast I will feel a little better about helping someone out ???

STIHL GUY
03-31-2009, 09:44 PM
nice rig. best of luck this year

punt66
03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Yea I wish I could have bought a larger trailer but wanted to start small and basic. I wanted a 6x14 dual axle but dont think my v6 jeep would pull that around to good. But if business goes good maybe next year I can work on getting a different trailer and a better vehicle. I really want a enclosed though so I'll probably work on that.

But as far as senior discounts. I know of alot of seniors out there are struggling from week to week. I know at times my grandmother struggles financially. She draws disability and a pension but still cant make ends meet some months. So she at her age of 71 has to go clean houses to make ends meet. And im sure there are many others like that. So thats why I came up with the discount. Senior citizen's are special people. If I can save someone $10 than thats great. Yea I take a loss but I know in the back of my head that that $10 may or may not help a senior than a small loss is ok in my opinion. Alot of times a senior is tossed aside and put on the back burner in today's world. Now if I come rolling up in a nice $300K house I might show the discount like amberslawnmowing said but I wont actually give it. But if I roll up to a old lady's house and it looks like she needs it then I'll use my judgement and give her one.

Might not be the best "business plan" but atleast I will feel a little better about helping someone out ???

What are your plans? Full time? Mowing only?

JosephLawnCare
03-31-2009, 10:12 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh: That is some funny chit right there!!

ChrisGA
03-31-2009, 10:59 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: That is some funny chit right there!!

haha I know I got a chuckle out of that myself.

My plans are going at it full time if possible
Gonna offer mowing ( trimming/blowing off of hard surfaces ) Mulch/Pine straw installation, spring/fall yard clean up ( leaves, pine straw, sticks, limbs etc ) and at the moment considering getting a Stihl hedge trimmer and offer hedge/bush trimming.

Im looking to expand some on the services. I wish I knew about fert/seeding etc. I never done it when I worked with my friend.

But just got a good lead. My moms boyfriend's brother works for a large multi county relater. I bet he has 20+ rental homes and 50+ homes for sale at any time. His brother gets all the time people asking if he knows anyone who mows lawns that they want someone to mow all the time so he is gonna pass out some of my business cards and give them to relater.

Petr51488
03-31-2009, 11:32 PM

Werent you the one telling me before about how i shouldn't tell him how to run his business, or what is it any of my business what he does with his money? Your doing the same thing now. "You did the right thing except the trailer". I said you did the right thing except the mower. Don't listen to him chris!! lolol

Just because i don't do business the way you do, or the other way around, doesn't mean you should tell this guy not to listen to anyone. Its an online Forum where you will have thousands of ideas and comments. Read it all then pick and choose how you would like to run your business. Your telling him yes, i'm telling him maybe. Simple as that.

And chris, yes, your off to a good start. Good Luck with that contact you have. That can get you from zero accounts to a few days worth of mowings! Do good work and go the extra mile. Some people do notice the nice things you do after a while. Like i said, good work goes a long way. People talk and thats how business spreads.

salosenior
04-01-2009, 02:20 AM
Good luck and don't take too many on for free, someone got to pay for gas...............

punt66
04-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Werent you the one telling me before about how i shouldn't tell him how to run his business, or what is it any of my business what he does with his money? Your doing the same thing now. "You did the right thing except the trailer". I said you did the right thing except the mower. Don't listen to him chris!! lolol

Just because i don't do business the way you do, or the other way around, doesn't mean you should tell this guy not to listen to anyone. Its an online Forum where you will have thousands of ideas and comments. Read it all then pick and choose how you would like to run your business. Your telling him yes, i'm telling him maybe. Simple as that.

And chris, yes, your off to a good start. Good Luck with that contact you have. That can get you from zero accounts to a few days worth of mowings! Do good work and go the extra mile. Some people do notice the nice things you do after a while. Like i said, good work goes a long way. People talk and thats how business spreads.

When i say dont listen to them its to say dont listen to the negativity and the confrontational BS your doing again. This is one of the few new startup guys i have seen that are not full of attitude and are willing to invest in proper equipment to get started. I like to see it because i know he will do well.

Petr51488
04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
When i say dont listen to them its to say dont listen to the negativity and the confrontational BS your doing again. This is one of the few new startup guys i have seen that are not full of attitude and are willing to invest in proper equipment to get started. I like to see it because i know he will do well.

What are you talking about? I all i said to the guy is that he should have went with a used mower?!?! I'm sorry if that was confrontational or negative. I'm done with this thread because you pretty much allready killed it with your childish comments. Good Luck Chris and post some pics of your equipment as work picks up.

punt66
04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
What are you talking about? I all i said to the guy is that he should have went with a used mower?!?! I'm sorry if that was confrontational or negative. I'm done with this thread because you pretty much allready killed it with your childish comments. Good Luck Chris and post some pics of your equipment as work picks up.

Childish? After he buys equipment you go on to tell him he did it all wrong. Yes go away, good idea.

Petr51488
04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Childish? After he buys equipment you go on to tell him he did it all wrong. Yes go away, good idea.

Yep, cuz you said the same thing. "You did everything right except the trailer".
My words... You did everything right except the mower. I think your ******ed because i never said he did it ALL wrong. Just the mower part.

punt66
04-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Yep, cuz you said the same thing. "You did everything right except the trailer".
My words... You did everything right except the mower. I think your ******ed because i never said he did it ALL wrong. Just the mower part.
Oh now i am retarted? And i am childish? Reread your posts genius. I thought you were leaving?

punt66
04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Chris, this is a perfect example why you need to be carefull who you take advice from on this site.

Petr51488
04-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Chris, this is a perfect example why you need to be carefull who you take advice from on this site.

Yes, be very careful. Be very very careful lolol

cgaengineer
04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
A larger trailer maybe better, but I also use a 5x10 and its plenty big for me. I also own a 6x12 but prefer the smaller and better built 5x10. As far as the mower being new...I would prefer to have a new mower if I only had the money to buy one mower. It would really suck to buy a used mower and have a hydro pump or motor go out the morning or afternoon before a few cuts and either have to cut with a 21, or rent a mower from a dealer.

Nothing like buying new and having a warranty, access to a loaner and peace of mind.

Good luck to you fellow Georgian. There is plenty of burned out hard packed clay lawns around here for all of us.

lawnbandit
04-01-2009, 11:15 PM
well I think a commercial mower would be better.Just my thought as far as the trailer 5x10 is just fine. he still bough a nice mower not trying to kick it, I just see this more like a new craftsman weed whip or a used good shape stihl weed whip which one would you want? doesnt really matter. he has a great start and I'm sure he'll do fine....:waving: we can all keep learning and growing and this site is meant to help us all doent always have to be nice.....

ambersLawnmowing
04-02-2009, 01:38 AM
well I think a commercial mower would be better.Just my thought

Snapper Pro is a commercial mower

ChrisGA
04-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Snapper Pro is a commercial mower

Yes snapper pro is commercial. The S50x I have is not " top of the line " commercial compared to the exmarks, scags, etc. but its a low dollar entry model in my opinion. It has a 19hp Kawasaki engine so the motor is a decent brand as well.

Update:

Going tomorrow to put in 2 bids. Both are right across from each other. One is a definite take and the other I have to work on it a little bit. Both should be easy cuts long flat even yards. Both wants a bi-weekly cut:hammerhead: and one wants a spring clean up in her yard it has twigs all over leaves/pine straw and has not been cut this year. Plus wants her bushs/limbs cut back on the edge of her property. Should be interested. Also going tomorrow to put up some fliers and I ordered some business cards earlier so im ready to rock. Still waiting hearing back from the insurance company for a liability quote. And Monday morning going to apply for a business license and apply with the state for my sole proprietorship. Does anyone know if I need to register for my sole proprietorship first before I get my business license with the county? Im thinking I do but im un-sure.

ChrisGA
04-16-2009, 06:35 PM
A few more

Some of my equipment and 2 of my tow rig