PDA

View Full Version : Controling Moles

kirk1701
03-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Had this problem last year but over the winter months the little critters seem to hibernate but this year, not even with the cold temps they didn't take a break :confused:

I haven't had much problem in the front yard and I noticed more in the back they will approach the property line, turn and go back with exception to one area in my back yard which is nothing but weeds I have not done any reseeding there and use the area as a test area for new weed control products before I spray it on my lawn.

Anyhow I've about tried everything short of a lawn chair, a six pack and a .22 cal to get rid of them. I've tried the spring traps which they seem to evaid, the poison worms they seem to think is junk food.

Knowing they go for grub I have applied GardenTech Sevin for grub control to perimeter of property to take away their food so they would go elsewhere. To early to say if that has worked but in case not I want to be prepared if it does fail, what do you recomend?

I have even tried double edge razor blades burried in the mole run :laugh:

Ric3077
03-30-2009, 01:50 AM
I have good luck with Liquid Fence for Moles...works great everytime

betmr
03-30-2009, 02:10 AM
Is this a Joke??? You put a chemical Grub control around the perimeter of your property???What about all the grubs inside your property? And they really prefer earthworms.

kirk1701
03-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Is this a Joke??? You put a chemical Grub control around the perimeter of your property???What about all the grubs inside your property? And they really prefer earthworms.

I only put it around the perimeter because that seems to be the only area I have problems.

Its almost like something was put down to deter them but around the edges is where they are attempting to come in and well, then they turn and go back.

Liquid Fence hu? Thanks Ric3077 I have not heard of it but will google and see what I find.

Ric3077
03-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Liquid Fence hu? Thanks Ric3077 I have not heard of it but will google and see what I find.

http://www.liquidfence.com/mole-vole-gopher-repellents.html
You need to spray the whole yard (front and back and beds too) with this stuff first...then about every 5 weeks you simply do the perimeter. Works good. We have many customers on this program.

kirk1701
03-31-2009, 03:23 PM
You need to spray the whole yard (front and back and beds too) with this stuff first...then about every 5 weeks you simply do the perimeter. Works good. We have many customers on this program.

Thanks Roc3077
Just ordered. :clapping:
1 Liquid Fence Mole Repellent - 1 Gallon Concentrate Mole:167 $39.99 $39.99

Ric3077
03-31-2009, 03:29 PM
No prob, follow the instructions and you will get results

kirk1701
03-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey guys,
Just had to bring this thread to your attention.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=267959

Given my thread with lime questions combined with this thread just made it even that much more funnier :laugh:

kirk1701
04-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Have a question on the clean up process using Liquid fence

Sice it does contain caster oil it don't wash out of the sprayer with just water as normal stuff will. I have tried dishwashing soap which works for the areas I can get to like the tank where I can wash with a rag but elsewhere the dishwashing soap ain't cutting it in the hose so what can I use to cut through the oil?

Ric3077
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Not sure, I usually use the smaller hose attachment bottle...so I never have to clean it...I just hook up to the water and spray, the mixing is done inside the bottle. When finished I just unhook the water and put the bottle away. When the bottle is empty, I refill it with my large jug of liquid fence mole repellent. I might suggest just buying one of these bottles from liquid fence co...or call them and they might send you one free...they did for me...but I bought several gallons of the stuff. Good luck

kirk1701
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Not sure, I usually use the smaller hose attachment bottle...so I never have to clean it...I just hook up to the water and spray, the mixing is done inside the bottle. When finished I just unhook the water and put the bottle away. When the bottle is empty, I refill it with my large jug of liquid fence mole repellent. I might suggest just buying one of these bottles from liquid fence co...or call them and they might send you one free...they did for me...but I bought several gallons of the stuff. Good luck

I have found something else to apply it with, Ortho makes one of those hose end sprayers you put the liquid to be sprayed in it and set the dial to the number of ounces per gallon and just spray. Then, water the area sprayed to soak it in and no clean up :)

However, I got a major outbreak of mole activity just popped up last week and seems to be getting worse everyday. I have done reapplied the liquid fence over the weekend and I just cut the grass today and seems like the moles are just having a dam party in my lawn ;)

We got some rain coming so I'm fixing to reapply the liquid fence again plus put down some grub control buy hell I just did this like two weeks ago and like I said, liquid fence I put down three times already in this location.

Anyone got any other sugestions?
Just took these today.

Ric3077
04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
In order for the product to work well the ground should be moist before applying...it should also be watered in after applying. It needs to penetrate deep into the soil to get at the worms. Once it coats the worms then the moles will go away due to the nasty taste of the worms.

Ric3077
04-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Also put extra down in current mole affected areas.

kirk1701
04-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Also put extra down in current mole affected areas.

We'll, just reapplied again but guess you could say the part about the ground being moist I did that at the same time I applied the liquid fence. I used the ortho sprayer I talked about above, so it mixes as it goes. Before I put the application of liquid fence down I also put down two bags of GardenTech Sevin: Lawn insect Granules that seemed to work good on the other side of the property so after I appled the liquid fence I watered both in real good and now rain is expected to start in a cople of hours and last over the next four days to wash in real good :)

I also put out my sonic sound things to deter moles, they work for about a week till they get used to them and then the liquid fence and the GardenTech will have started working.

I'll keep you informed.

kirk1701
05-01-2009, 01:28 AM
We'll, still seeing activity in the front where I already applied, plus now I got even more activity in the backyard (same side) :confused:

WTF :dizzy:

Now here's the confusing part, the other side of the property where I always had a lot of mole issues; GONE!!! No activity at all.

So, reapplied LF to that side in the backyard tonight along with a bag of GardenTech and washed both in good and now were getting a good overnight soaking rain.

Any other idea's you can think of besides the LF?
And another question, could moth balls have any effect on moles? Last weekend the neighbor put out mothballs up and down the property line (crazy neighbor don't ask) and suddenly I got moles on my side of the property line??? :hammerhead:

Ric3077
05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
LF is guaranteed...if you are not having any luck get your money back

kirk1701
05-02-2009, 01:21 AM
LF is guaranteed...if you are not having any luck get your money back

We'll Ric3077
After a little research I've come to one conclusion.
Subjective misconceptions are also the root of such remedies as lye, Drano, pickle juice, broken glass, red pepper, razor blades, bleach, moth balls, rose branches, human hair balls, vibrators, ultrasonic contraptions, castor bean derivatives (Mole Med), gasoline and explosives. Although this fun and games approach may relieve frustrations, these and other home remedies have little if any value in controlling moles.
http://www.themoleman.com/control.htm

Just one source and over the years of playing with different baits and watching the moles come and go the article pretty much makes common sence, plus other sources say more of the same.

This article goes on to say what does work:
There are no chemical solutions to a mole problem and trapping is the most reliable method of control. Mechanical traps are environmentally friendly, target specific and they work! Some traps are good, some are not. I prefer the Victor spear type and the Victor scissors (Out-o-sight).

So, off to e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Victor-Mole-Trap-Scissor-Style-New-in-Box-NIB_W0QQitemZ190304395918QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c4f06a28e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Think its a good idea? Seen these used, what results if so?

kirk1701
05-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey Ric3077
Thought I'd stop buy and update this thread with the results of the victor mole traps. :cool2:

I don't know if moles have a sence of dange like dogs but uhhhh, since I put the traps out they have not been back around. :rolleyes:

One on each side of the yard

Now I have tried the spring loaded cheap traps you get from Lowes and the moles set them off but I never killed one with it but these traps I gotta say so far so good. :)

Ric3077
05-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Hey Ric3077
Thought I'd stop buy and update this thread with the results of the victor mole traps. :cool2:

I don't know if moles have a sence of dange like dogs but uhhhh, since I put the traps out they have not been back around. :rolleyes:

One on each side of the yard

Now I have tried the spring loaded cheap traps you get from Lowes and the moles set them off but I never killed one with it but these traps I gotta say so far so good. :)

Whatever works...as long as they are gone that is the goal. Good job!

kirk1701
05-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Whatever works...as long as they are gone that is the goal. Good job!

Exactly, their back in my rotten neighbors yard which is hilarious :laugh:
and to think she put moth balls out :dizzy:

In case you missed this thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=271380&page=2