PDA

View Full Version : Perplexing me....bed edging equipment

Lasko's Lawn Service
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I've got a lawn service that is naturally branching out into more and more landscaping. We've always hand cut new and existing bed edges, but it's just plain ol getting old. Time is definitely becoming and issue as we do more landscaping.

My problem is, I'm kinda caught in between at this point. I don't really have the amount of business here to justify a 2000 dollar machine yet and my landscaping jobs aren't always consistent so I can't line up a bunch and rent a machine for a day.

My question is, can I purchase a straight edger for a stihl weedeater and fix a blade like a trenchblade to it and expect to cut a deep quality edge. Or will these trimmer attachments only redefine an old edge.

I've also thought of buying and inexpensive smaller edger like a craftsman machine and putting a blade on it.

I'm not gonna take the plunge and buy a Brown edger yet, I've got too much cost into equipment this year, so I'm only looking of ideas that work with this situation.

Any ideas, questions, or suggestions would be great appreciated.

mowinginva
03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
We use a Stihl fs130 w/ the edger attatchment and it will cut a new edge up to about 5 in. It works quite well.

arcadialady
03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
I have been thinking along the same lines for this season. I did see the craftsman edger at the rental shop and I am willing to pass along the $35.00 charge to the customer as it will save them $ in the longrun by cutting labor cost for the "step and kick" method!

KGR landscapeing
03-31-2009, 06:31 PM
If you do more then 5000ft per spring youll need a bed edger and look at it this way its an investment. cause guess what it dosent just die or disapeer after one season.

Mimowerman
03-31-2009, 08:18 PM
you got to spend the $ to make it !!! I typically purchase something , then go out there and use it ... if you can't afford new , try getting a used unit?

Trenchblade
04-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I've got a lawn service that is naturally branching out into more and more landscaping. We've always hand cut new and existing bed edges, but it's just plain ol getting old. Time is definitely becoming and issue as we do more landscaping.

My problem is, I'm kinda caught in between at this point. I don't really have the amount of business here to justify a 2000 dollar machine yet and my landscaping jobs aren't always consistent so I can't line up a bunch and rent a machine for a day.

My question is, can I purchase a straight edger for a stihl weedeater and fix a blade like a trenchblade to it and expect to cut a deep quality edge. Or will these trimmer attachments only redefine an old edge.

I've also thought of buying and inexpensive smaller edger like a craftsman machine and putting a blade on it.

I'm not gonna take the plunge and buy a Brown edger yet, I've got too much cost into equipment this year, so I'm only looking of ideas that work with this situation.

Any ideas, questions, or suggestions would be great appreciated.

The Trenchblade will make a new edge, it just takes a little more work the redefining an existing edge. On the prices and ordering page of out site you will fing some pictures of the type of trench that the trenchblade will make. Those pics are just some trenches i made out back from our shop in the ground where there was not any trenches before. obviously the harder the ground is the harder it will be to make the trenches, same goes with a shovel. only thing is that you cant put a Trenchblade on a string trimmer, only an edger.

Drew Gemma
04-01-2009, 09:26 AM
we have used a bed shaper for 4 years now and all we do is change the oil, plugs, filter and we have replaced the belt last year for the first time. Great piece of equipment.