PDA

View Full Version : Remove gravel from lawn?

All Seasons Landscaping
03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
I have a new place, and it looks like the people that did the landscaping didn't do a great job. There are bare spots in the lawn, and there's gravel and small rocks in several areas (and not from plowing). My question is, what's the best way to take care of that. Should I get the gravel up first, and if so, what's the best way on a good sized lot. Or should I just lay some top soil down over it?

Here's a pic, showing what it looks like:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/supaphly42/rocksinlawn.jpg

betmr
03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
I would like to help you, What is a good size lot? How big?

All Seasons Landscaping
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Approximately 3-3.25 acres of lawn, though it's not all like this.

betmr
03-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Approximately 3-3.25 acres of lawn, though it's not all like this.

That IS a good size lot. I suggest you go to the bare spots first, w/a leaf rake get what gravel you can into piles and remove, scratch up the bare soil and add some top soil to level out, and sow some cool season seed mix, For your area, I would put down something w/ majority Kentucky Blue Grass varieties, mixed w/ Endophyt enhanced rye, for sunny spots and Creeping type Fescues for more shady. Personally I do not care for Tall Fescue, blades are large and it clumps. Chewings and Red Creeping Fescues have finer blades, and spread. Rye grass also tends to clump. I would say the little clumps in your picture are probably Rye Grass, But I don't know that for sure. KBG spreads out to fill the bare spots, is hardy in cool areas, It's one of the most traffic tolerant. That is for the bare spot repair.

If you need to renovate your lawn, this is going to be No easy task on a lawn that size, and is really best done in the fall, Late August, Early September.

If you were going to do this, my first suggestion would be to buy, or go to a library, and get a good book on lawn care, Even Ortho has a good one at the Home D***. And read all you can to get an understanding of what it entails.

Let me say one more thing, if any of the work you are going to do, consists of tilling, do a soil test first, then when you till, you can incorporate any amendments to your soil at that time. Pay the extra couple dollars to have them Analise the soil type, so you can add anything you need at time of roto-tilling.

Come fall, you may be able to run a De-thatcher over it a couple of times, to loosen up and expose the soil, and over seed. Hope this helped some...I'll be lookin' out

Mimowerman
03-31-2009, 08:21 PM
for the gravel I would recommend a power broom .... just got mine today for the same situation.... works wonders!