PDA

View Full Version : Top Dressing machines. Which one?

fl-landscapes
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Looking at three top dressers and wondered if anyone owned one and would have some input.

earth and turf self propelled works with a conveyor and brush. Drops the material like a drop spreader. Has reverse. Anyone know the price? 10cubic foot hopper. 10.5 hp motor

Ecolawn 11.5 cubic foot hopper. Don't know if it has reverse. Has the conveyor and also a rotary type spreader below. Don't know if that is good or bad. Does it make it tougher to keep uniform coverage and avoid overlap? 5.5 hp motor. $5400 Does this machine have reverse?

Met-r-matic more similar to the earth and turf and has the same conveyor and brush set up so it works like a drop spreader. $7200 I think is the price. Has reverse. Looks pretty nice. But worth the xtra $$$$$??

fl-landscapes
06-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Three months and no replies??? Not even from maybe a site sponsor who sells top dressers. Well here it is, I bought my new earth and turf 100sp and it is awesome!

dave k
06-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Nice machine, why is there a need for a top dressing machine in Fl. with sandy soil? Its like people who wants to aerate in Fl. sand.....

fl-landscapes
06-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Nice machine, why is there a need for a top dressing machine in Fl. with sandy soil? Its like people who wants to aerate in Fl. sand.....

Think you answered your own question. Improve sandy soil.

dave k
06-22-2009, 07:55 PM
So you will be top dressing with organic or topsoil?

Than that makes sense, here in Ga. most people topdress with riversand to smooth the yard.

How do you like it so far?

fl-landscapes
06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
So you will be top dressing with organic or topsoil?

Than that makes sense, here in Ga. most people topdress with riversand to smooth the yard.

How do you like it so far?

You got it, adding organics to improve the sandy soil on st. augustine lawns. I see some of your old posts and you do some nice work on bermuda and I can see why you would wonder why I was adding sand to sand. Top soil compost sand mix after aerating and verti cutting. I love the machine so far even though I haven't used it much. I don't know why there arent more bermuda lawns down here but I'd like to start changing that and then I could also use the machine to level bermuda lawns. The aeration gets the compost down in better to the roots and thatch area.

dave k
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks on the Kudos, I used to live in Apopka and Deltona, my wife is a native Miami girl, been up here for 15 years now.
Send some pictures when you get a chance.
My e-mail is: davek@bellsouth.net
I think the insects are the main reason Fl. doesn't have much in Bermuda lawns, but you being in No. Fl. I wouldn't think that would be a problem.
Dave

fl-landscapes
06-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks on the Kudos, I used to live in Apopka and Deltona, my wife is a native Miami girl, been up here for 15 years now.
Send some pictures when you get a chance.
My e-mail is: davek@bellsouth.net
I think the insects are the main reason Fl. doesn't have much in Bermuda lawns, but you being in No. Fl. I wouldn't think that would be a problem.
Dave

will do. I am actually in sw florida

Pistol
06-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Just curious - how much did you end up spending? What type of accuracy are you getting putting down compost?

fl-landscapes
06-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Just curious - how much did you end up spending? What type of accuracy are you getting putting down compost?

Seems like a very accurate spread. I'll know more when I have used it a bit. Tax an all came to $6800

phasthound
06-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Seems like a very accurate spread. I'll know more when I have used it a bit. Tax an all came to $6800

I've had mine for a year. It is a great machine, easy to use, maneuvers well, dispenses material evenly, built to last! I use it exclusively for compost. Even chunky wet compost is broken up & evenly spread with no mess. This machine was designed for topdressing sand on golf courses. This means it can handle the weight. I built up the sides and am able to more than double the amount of compost for each fill up.

fl-landscapes
06-25-2009, 07:07 PM
I've had mine for a year. It is a great machine, easy to use, maneuvers well, dispenses material evenly, built to last! I use it exclusively for compost. Even chunky wet compost is broken up & evenly spread with no mess. This machine was designed for topdressing sand on golf courses. This means it can handle the weight. I built up the sides and am able to more than double the amount of compost for each fill up.

That's great I'm looking forward to putting some miles on mine. I will be spreading mostly compost as well. I remember someone posted some pics of it with sides built up. If that was yours could you post them again so I can take a look. I can't find the old post or pics. Thanks

kevin16856
06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
What do you use for compost/Sand mix?

fl-landscapes
06-07-2010, 03:25 PM
What do you use for compost/Sand mix?

Soil so sandy here on the coast I usually just go straight compost

kevin16856
06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Where do you buy your compost?

kevin16856
06-08-2010, 05:32 AM
I am starting a new company with my son and will be talking with Florida Potting Soil Inc re their 90/10 topdress mix, and my question is, do you use that much sand? We are from Cape Cod, and aeration, slice seeding, and topdressing are done everywhere, but I don't see much of it on the Treasure Coast, from Vero Beach to Martin County. To me, it looks like an untapped market. I talked to your topdresser manufacturer yesterday, and he said compost only in my area works well. I am interested in your thoughts. By the way, I am a Republican.

speedster
06-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Sorry don't mean the thread crap but I'm not familiar with top dressing machines. I have a very bumpy lawn. Would a top dressing machine be the preferred method for filling the lower spots or would it be more appropriate to just regrade? Can you rent top dressers at rental shops?

fl-landscapes
06-08-2010, 07:39 AM
I am starting a new company with my son and will be talking with Florida Potting Soil Inc re their 90/10 topdress mix, and my question is, do you use that much sand? We are from Cape Cod, and aeration, slice seeding, and topdressing are done everywhere, but I don't see much of it on the Treasure Coast, from Vero Beach to Martin County. To me, it looks like an untapped market. I talked to your topdresser manufacturer yesterday, and he said compost only in my area works well. I am interested in your thoughts. By the way, I am a Republican.

A republican from cape cod. I am actually from Hull, MA, not to far from where you were. It is an untapped market for sure. If you can find a way to market it properly, network with landscapers who dont do it etc...I think you should do ok. Good luck.

kevin16856
06-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Do you know of any other source for compost?

fl-landscapes
06-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Do you know of any other source for compost?

nothing on your side of the state.

smassengill
11-16-2010, 09:10 AM
If you don't mind. How much did this machine end up running you?

edit: sorry didn't look hard enough. I found the price