PDA

View Full Version : Question on drainage correction

CK82
03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
I have a customer who has some leakage (8ft.) around his foundation. The house is built on a hill with quite a few houses up the hill from it. All of the rainfall and drainage from those houses end up going downhill towards my customers house. Along with grading to make some sort of a small berm (spelling?) I was thinking of securing and chaulking a section of pond liner around the chimney as well. Has anyone ever used pond liner or similar to help keep rainfall from soaking in, or around a foundation? Any insight would be great.

I know its difficult to picture, Im just asking in general for drainage/leak correction.

Thanks,
Chris

CALandscapes
03-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Try polyethylene sheeting (be sure it's 6 mil).

It's made for this applications such as this, as well as it's much cheaper than using a pond liner.

Here's a link to it at Homedepot.com :

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=polyethylene%2Bplastic&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Smallaxe
03-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Will this cause the water to go away more readily rather than soak in? Or is it just to keep it from leaking in until it gets deeper? Water will not be stopped only rerouted.

CK82
03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
I am going to re route things as best as possible. The liner is supposed to not let any rainfall directly soak in around this area but rather drain further away from the area that leaks (base of a chimney).

CK82
03-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the link to the polyethelyne.

betmr
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
I have a customer who has some leakage (8ft.) around his foundation. The house is built on a hill with quite a few houses up the hill from it. All of the rainfall and drainage from those houses end up going downhill towards my customers house. Along with grading to make some sort of a small berm (spelling?) I was thinking of securing and caulking a section of pond liner around the chimney as well. Has anyone ever used pond liner or similar to help keep rainfall from soaking in, or around a foundation? Any insight would be great.

I know its difficult to picture, Im just asking in general for drainage/leak correction.

Thanks,
Chris

Consider a French drain, a little ways uphill from your customer's house? Take that water and route it around and below his place.

I don't know if trying to put flashing on the chimney or divert the water away from the house. If your trying to divert the water away from the house, a French drain is the right thing to do. If it's a basement or crawl space it will be much drier. If you put something like flashing on the chimney, the water is going to just soak down under it. The idea is to get it away.

PSUturf
04-02-2009, 12:01 AM
The French drain might not work if the ground is frozen and you get a sudden snow melt or heavy rain. Whenever possible, try to solve water problems by correcting surface flow.

CK82
04-02-2009, 12:03 PM
The slope of the house as well as the houses built around it is somewhat steep. The customer has an unfinished basement and I dont think the water problem is very bad at this point. I think installing a "true" French drain (no soil and seed over the top will work well. I am going to grade the flower bed away from the house and make a sort of a trough to flow into the French drain.

betmr
04-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Use the PVC pipe with 2 rows of holes faceing down, line your ditch with filter fabric and back fill with gravel to surface. Water has to go in ditch, into pipe and where ever you send it. I don't care for the perforated pipe, as the holes get clogged over time, The PVC w/the holes faceing down, the solids go down & hydrolic presure moves the water up into the pipe and away. Same like a curtain drain at foundation footings.

White Gardens
04-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I did this job last fall.

Since completion we've had large amounts of rain of several days this last winter. So it's been tested and works.

The owners were originally having water in their basement, and now it's dry.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=253922

CK82
04-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the post! I actually looked at your post prior to this job. Looks good. Did you add topsoil over the parts in the lawn and flower bed?