PDA

View Full Version : Central jersey beware

tls22
03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Hello fellow lawn/landscape member's of Jersey, im here to share a important story. I was at one of my residentials today laying mulch, i have two houses at the end of the streets. My customer across the street came up to me and express some interest in a spring clean up and mulch etc etc. As the conversation went on he ask when i plan to start cutting, i said next week. Then he went on to say there was a guy that knock on the door yesterday saying he will cut the grass for 25 dollars if he got 3 more houses on the street for him. His reply was no, being that i have a great working relationship with this customer and i feel my company does top notch work. I get 65 dollars to cut his lawn a week, many times it has to be double or triple cut each visit. The moral of this story is to please watch out for this sort of law balling attack on business. I'm well aware of the economy and how times are hard, yet i feel this is real crap way of conducting business. If for some act of god my customer excepted his offer, there is no doubt in my mind i would have gotten a call back in May to service the account again. I have pick up many accounts from guys that cut,blow, and go for a minimal charge. Also let your accounts shine and don't be afraid to go the extra mile, it speaks volumes in the end.

Another situation that is running ramped in Monmouth County is the amount of equipment being stolen. Some big time outfits have been getting ripped off. Please lock your stuff up, and make it harder for these scums to steal. Park tons of stuff in front of ur equipment and put locks on ur trailer hitches.
Thankyou For the time, have a great and prosperous green season 2009

Tim A.

Tim's Lawn service.

windsory
03-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Yup I couldn't agree more. I haven't heard about any thefts yet where has it been happening?

DLAWNS
03-31-2009, 01:26 AM
I haven't heard about the thefts either, but it doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the reminder. It's good to be kept on your toes. Good luck to you.

luis@NJ
03-31-2009, 02:11 AM
I've been lucky. I wish i could put an electric fence around my garage. :laugh::laugh:

jsf343
03-31-2009, 01:16 PM
I am on the left coast (Portland) and can attest to both stories you mention.
I had somebody who was VERY bold come into our cul da sac (I am at the back) walked up to my second driveway which is in plain site and well lit (flood light), there is also dogs in each yard around us (but of course not mine) He had bolt cutters, broke the chain (also picked it up and took it with him) walked in and took my backpack blower and hand held blower.

There has been many stories of low ball Joe from many friends who have their own business and I have a few of my own but will not bore you with another story.

moral of the story is do good work, work hard and be honest, and it will pay off... for somebody else.:rolleyes:

be safe, lock your equipment no matter house secure you think you are.

LB1234
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
funny you mention that...

performing a spring cleanup saturday morning and homeowner comes out to say hi. Also to let me know that someone has been going around placing flyers that indicates 25 cuts. We are anywhere from 40-45 on this block. Thankfully 3 of 4 customers on this block have come back...not sure if the 4th has left due to the 25...wouldn't surprise me though, they are strictly a mow, blow, & go customer looking for the best price.

what are you going to do. They want to charge 25 thats fine, go ahead. I can't do that for cost at 25. They way I look at it, once they get going into the season they will realize they aren't going to be making as much as they actually thought. Look at it this way, maybe they will weed out the customers we don't want just shopping for price.

jsf343
04-01-2009, 02:17 AM
wow... I meant "how" secure you are, not house :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::hammerhead::hammerhead:

tls22
04-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Yup I couldn't agree more. I haven't heard about any thefts yet where has it been happening?
Been around the holmdel/hazlet/matawan area. I usually get wind of these stories when i go to my local mower shop. Have a great season and if you ever see my truck around please stop and say hello.

I haven't heard about the thefts either, but it doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the reminder. It's good to be kept on your toes. Good luck to you.

No problem, i thought it would be good for all of us to be aware about these events. Its hard enough to worry about getting enough work line-up this season. I think im good until the end of May. Hopefully June i can go right into trimming. I'm real worried about July and August. Good luck this season. If you ever see my truck around please stop by and say hello.

I've been lucky. I wish i could put an electric fence around my garage. :laugh::laugh:

Lol, That would not be a bad idea. Please be safe and have a great year. If you ever see my truck around please stop and say hello.

shade tree landscaping
04-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Havent heard of any equipment being stolen, bu as others have already said not a surprise! As far as the people low balling, where I am it has been a problem for a while, the biggest problem now is mexicans, central americans, buying an old beat up truck a few old mowers and going into business for them selves. Those are the ones I worry about more that Bob who lost his job at IBM and is now trying to get into lawn & landscaping. They know what they are doing, have a good "hook" into the labor field, and have already been exposed to the work, where as Bob who doesn't know his a*s from his elbow as far as property maintence!

tls22
04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
I am on the left coast (Portland) and can attest to both stories you mention.
I had somebody who was VERY bold come into our cul da sac (I am at the back) walked up to my second driveway which is in plain site and well lit (flood light), there is also dogs in each yard around us (but of course not mine) He had bolt cutters, broke the chain (also picked it up and took it with him) walked in and took my backpack blower and hand held blower.

There has been many stories of low ball Joe from many friends who have their own business and I have a few of my own but will not bore you with another story.

[COLOR="Red"]moral of the story is do good work, work hard and be honest, and it will pay off... for somebody else.:rolleyes:

be safe, lock your equipment no matter house secure you think you are.

I agree with you 100%, that's a great quote you wrote. Its amazing how brave/dumb these scumbags have gotten. Im sorry about the backpack blower, at-least it can be replaced.(Still i don't think that would ease my anger over the situation) Have a great season and be safe.

Tim A.

tls22
04-01-2009, 08:51 PM
funny you mention that...

performing a spring cleanup saturday morning and homeowner comes out to say hi. Also to let me know that someone has been going around placing flyers that indicates 25 cuts. We are anywhere from 40-45 on this block. Thankfully 3 of 4 customers on this block have come back...not sure if the 4th has left due to the 25...wouldn't surprise me though, they are strictly a mow, blow, & go customer looking for the best price.

what are you going to do. They want to charge 25 thats fine, go ahead. I can't do that for cost at 25. They way I look at it, once they get going into the season they will realize they aren't going to be making as much as they actually thought. Look at it this way, maybe they will weed out the customers we don't want just shopping for price.

Agree 100% with you! Once the grass gets going and it's wet a clumpy, it will chase them away. I bet that customer will call you back then. If its a mow/blow customer im sure its not a big lost. Have a great season and be safe. If you ever see my truck around please stop and say hello.

tls22
04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Havent heard of any equipment being stolen, bu as others have already said not a surprise! As far as the people low balling, where I am it has been a problem for a while, the biggest problem now is mexicans, central americans, buying an old beat up truck a few old mowers and going into business for them selves. Those are the ones I worry about more that Bob who lost his job at IBM and is now trying to get into lawn & landscaping. They know what they are doing, have a good "hook" into the labor field, and have already been exposed to the work, where as Bob who doesn't know his a*s from his elbow as far as property maintence!

Lol, your definitely right about Bob. Like you said i doubt Bob has the work ethic to keep up with this line of work. The Mexicans have been doing that for some time here also. Those guys are usually good for 2-3 lawns a season that i pick up from them.(Being they where doing a half-ass job) Yet they do know the business well, but i doubt its 100% legit. I wonder if they all have driver license also? Last year i guy ask me to give a quote on His lawn. So i walk around and come back and tell him 40 dollars. He starts shaken his head and was like my guy last year did it for 20. The only problem is getting him here to come cut it.(lol) He also stated he does not have the equipment i have. I responded to him by saying if he is doing it for 20$ dollars it would be in ur best interest to go find him(The customer also wanted it done every other week) and when you do find him tell him to call me. I will ask him to do my whole route for 20 bucks, and i will sit at home and eat bon bon's all day. (lol) Have a great season and be safe, If you ever see my truck around please stop and say hello.

Tim A.

shade tree landscaping
04-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Im sure that the majority don't have drivers licenses, or insurance or pay taxes! I cam across someone like you described with you 20 a week guy, mine wanted 1.5 acres for 40 a week! Had one today call about an estimate and wanted to know if I could go 10 lower a week, b/c thats what they were expecting to pay. So after explaining that I try to keep prices as low as possible but I have alot of overhead, explained machines, trucks, insurance, payroll ect, she said she would have to discuss it with her husband and they would let me know, had a few other estimates they had recived. Husband calls back not 5 min later and says done deal on the estimated price, and put me down for a clean up and mulch! Goes to show that alot of these people are just trying to see how firm on your price you are, and are looking to get something for nothing.

TLS22 where are you out of in Monmouth cty, whats your comp name?

tls22
04-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Im sure that the majority don't have drivers licenses, or insurance or pay taxes! I cam across someone like you described with you 20 a week guy, mine wanted 1.5 acres for 40 a week! Had one today call about an estimate and wanted to know if I could go 10 lower a week, b/c thats what they were expecting to pay. So after explaining that I try to keep prices as low as possible but I have alot of overhead, explained machines, trucks, insurance, payroll ect, she said she would have to discuss it with her husband and they would let me know, had a few other estimates they had recived. Husband calls back not 5 min later and says done deal on the estimated price, and put me down for a clean up and mulch! Goes to show that alot of these people are just trying to see how firm on your price you are, and are looking to get something for nothing.

TLS22 where are you out of in Monmouth cty, whats your comp name?

That's a real good approach to a potential customer. Allot of customer just think we have a lawn mower and a Mexican working for Penny's. This is far from the truth. The only business i know where prices go up to have a business, yet prices for jobs go down. Like you said you have the draw the line somewhere.

I work out of the Holmdel, hazlet, colts neck area. The name of my company is Tim's Lawn service. I'm guessing you work out of the Freehold area(from the web link) That's a great area to service, allot of nice properties there. have a great season.

shade tree landscaping
04-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I was dieing to ask the customer if when she goes to the gas station, has them fill her car up, they say its 40, does she turn around and say well I thought it was going to be only 30...

ill keep an eye out for you, I do a good amount of work in colts neck, yes obv I am based in freehold, website gives it away. Hope you have a good season as well

tls22
04-01-2009, 09:41 PM
I was dieing to ask the customer if when she goes to the gas station, has them fill her car up, they say its 40, does she turn around and say well I thought it was going to be only 30...

ill keep an eye out for you, I do a good amount of work in colts neck, yes obv I am based in freehold, website gives it away. Hope you have a good season as well

Lol...that's great. I'm glad you got the lawn in the end, and for the price you wanted. Yeah definitely stop if you see me or w/e, i will keep a look out for ur truck. Have a great season and be safe:drinkup:

(sorry guys for my text abbreviation's, i need to get away from this dam AIM messenger)

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm out of Hazlet and haven't seen or heard of anything stolen recently. Most of my work is in Holmdel and Middletown, and Rumson. I also run the brick paver division for Roadrunner paving Co. and we had our bobcat stolen a few years back.

tls22
04-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm out of Hazlet and haven't seen or heard of anything stolen recently. Most of my work is in Holmdel and Middletown, and Rumson. I also run the brick paver division for Roadrunner paving Co. and we had our bobcat stolen a few years back.

Yeah the last i have heard of anything stolen was the middel of March. I hope the scums are done with the area. Roadrunners did my parents driveway, it came out great. You guys do good work.