PDA

View Full Version : Spring cutting thick clove AOS DIESEL

nosparkplugs
03-30-2009, 11:44 PM
The diesel now has 35 hours on her zero trouble to date. This is a 128 unit or house complex. We just took over the lawn maintenace so the spring growth was thick. The deck height was set between 1 1/2" to 2" depending on objects in the ground or the topographics of the complex. The pics are one pass, the clove was so thick it did require some double cutting in some places

Again I cannot stress to those wondering why so much power??? that you can never have enough power, the Cat diesel did lug down in the thickest of clove, I was mulching it, or I would slightly open the ACS. also I have no mulch kit. when I would open the ACS chute the diesel had enough torque to hit the sideing with grass clippings. I am using the Gator Fusions they seem to work the best vs the Gator mulchers, so I might hold off on the X blade set-up for now, I was working on. The diesel is still sipping fuel even when lugging. I filled it up today and my calculation are still at .66gal/hr. I can almost bet that even in the thickest of grass the fuel economy will not change much. The Cat diesel runs cool about 195 until you get in the very thick grass then it will go up to 200, and stay there all day. Over the last ten years of running ZTR's this AOS diesel is buy far the best diesel or ZTR for that matter on the market. The productivity, and cost savings BB has is simply amazing.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/SPRINGCUT3.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/SPRINGCUT2.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/SPRINGCUT1.jpg

4.3mudder
03-31-2009, 12:04 AM
I want one of those bad boyz, they bad azz. Especially with the cat.

lgyardservices
03-31-2009, 12:27 AM
why are you trying to cut it so short if it's that overgrown?

retrodog
03-31-2009, 01:54 AM
why are you trying to cut it so short if it's that overgrown?

Most people I know cut really low on the first cut of the season.

laird006
03-31-2009, 07:30 AM
do the ag style tires help against tearing turf? i really have to watch my bb lightning on that cause the hydros are pretty touchy.

djagusch
03-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Up here we would never cut it so low. What was the starting height of the grass? In the pic it looks like 3 to 4 in the high spots. Reason I ask is the discharge seems clumpy (third pic) and grass build up/clump on the tires (2 pic).

MortonLawn
03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Up here we would never cut it so low. What was the starting height of the grass? In the pic it looks like 3 to 4 in the high spots. Reason I ask is the discharge seems clumpy (third pic) and grass build up/clump on the tires (2 pic).

probably cut early in the morning, grass might be wet, that might be why you see all that build up.

lawncare010
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
having a little trouble going in a stright line were u drinking

JShe8918
03-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Looks like it did a good job. My turf tiger just swirls that stuff around and doesn't cut it for some reason. I like the bad boys alot but listen at this.

I was talking to a dealer in monroeville last week about the bad boy mowers and he said at this time he has stopped selling bad boy because the new ones are going to be loads better. He said that they are changing the gas tank locations lowering the seat around 7 inches and on the cat models are trying to change the motor location and some belts and pulleys. He said the diesels never bog down BUT instead the belts can't keep up so they just burn them up. He said the new models should be out in a few months. He said no set date. But that would be awesome. Then again i don't know how reliable the dealer is with his information but he seemed to know quite a bit about everything. Including this he doesn't sell.

GracesLandscaping
03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
thats a bad azz mower!!!!! i really like the looks of them!

retrodog
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Looks like it did a good job. My turf tiger just swirls that stuff around and doesn't cut it for some reason. I like the bad boys alot but listen at this.

I was talking to a dealer in monroeville last week about the bad boy mowers and he said at this time he has stopped selling bad boy because the new ones are going to be loads better. He said that they are changing the gas tank locations lowering the seat around 7 inches and on the cat models are trying to change the motor location and some belts and pulleys. He said the diesels never bog down BUT instead the belts can't keep up so they just burn them up. He said the new models should be out in a few months. He said no set date. But that would be awesome. Then again i don't know how reliable the dealer is with his information but he seemed to know quite a bit about everything. Including this he doesn't sell.

I haven't heard any of this, and don't have any problems burning up belts except one time I ran over a huge tree stump in the ground and it knocked my belt off (didn't know it), after cutting a little while, I smelled something burning....the belt had came off the pulley and was caught underneath it :hammerhead:. We just got a load of the "new ones", and the front forks are better, the spindles, and the hydro tank is black cast iron now, it looks much better. 7 inches is a heck of a lot to lower the seat, I don't see how moving the gas tanks would make that happen.

nosparkplugs
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
I would agrue this AOS Diesel model at the core level should be left alone I would not hesitate to purchase another exact year model. Just like anything their will always be end-users whom will complain about something. I have not seen any issues with the belt slipping no matter the conditions I have put the BB in. Like Retro said I too have hit some objects that I could not see until it was too late, one time it was a tent spike, the AOS diesel just bent the spike, and shoot it across the ground, their was no belt slipping or burning. I have to disagree on the belt burning issues IT IS FALSE.

My attraction to the BB has been the tough simple design, and brute power. The operator seat may seem high, but that does not effect the hillside stability of the AOS diesel, if you look at how wide the machine is it'as clear it holds hills like a billy goat. I have a church with some very steep hills I will be mowing later this week. Will post them pics. Rained out today

I cut these apartment lower because it is at the request of the owners, and in the contract to be no longer than 2". Also the clove was very wet, and thick their was some clumping, the clumps were almost pulvirized to a gooy soupy liquid state

djagusch
03-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I cut these apartment lower because it is at the request of the owners, and in the contract to be no longer than 2". Also the clove was very wet, and thick their was some clumping, the clumps were almost pulvirized to a gooy soupy liquid state

If that's what they ask for I guess. Also I thought about the pic this morning. Be care with the windows. It's a window alley. I normally don't run a discharge chute so I'm always looking for windows.

JShe8918
03-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Like i said. In my defense, "i am not sure of this dealers knowledge." last year my choice of mowers came down to the scag turf tiger 27 61 lc and the 35 cat bad boy. And i love my scag but i wish i had gone with the bad boy. I went out looking to price the bad boy and he said he wasn't interested in selling an AOS diesel model due to them working on redesigning and started throwing lots of stuff out there. Just what he said. I am not trying to spread untrue rumors. i figured these things to be true but retrodog is a dealer as well and has not heard anything so..... we will all just have to wait and see.

nosparkplugs
03-31-2009, 04:31 PM
My response was not directed towrads you, and I don't doubt your local dealer saying those comments about the AOS design. I guess for you it was enough to steer you away from the AOS diesel. Personally if you spent any seat time on the AOS diesel you would realize the modifications are really not necessary.

My AOS threads are to show how the big diesel performs, and has brought my business a whole new level of productivity while maintaing a modest budget.

Like i said. In my defense, "i am not sure of this dealers knowledge." last year my choice of mowers came down to the scag turf tiger 27 61 lc and the 35 cat bad boy. And i love my scag but i wish i had gone with the bad boy. I went out looking to price the bad boy and he said he wasn't interested in selling an AOS diesel model due to them working on redesigning and started throwing lots of stuff out there. Just what he said. I am not trying to spread untrue rumors. i figured these things to be true but retrodog is a dealer as well and has not heard anything so..... we will all just have to wait and see.

JShe8918
03-31-2009, 04:34 PM
He was all about selling me the AOS cat 35 and even the 28 last year in april when i went in but this year he was all against it.... The main reason i didn't go with it is because the dealer is an hour away as opposed to 20 minutes.

nosparkplugs
03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
I have always run a mulching plate or discharge cover, and only side discharge when it wide open area's with no people, or property around.

I really like the ACS chute design, unlike the bolt on mulch plates, you can go from total blocking to slight opening, anything in between, this is why the discharge chute side tire is plastered with grass clippings I would open the ACS chute cover about 1/4 to 3/4" or enough to get some of the wet clove out , keep in mind I have no mulch kit, just Gator Fusions, and even at 1 1/2' to 2 it is able to mulch the grass clippings efficiently with no need for side discharging.

My experience is you cannot mow these types of accounts without a mulching plate, ACS plate or rear discharge deck option. Even with those options, and a careful operator windows do get broke. A rock was deflected from under the deck bounced up, and broke a window last week(once a year shoot/break for us) while mowing along another complex I maintain luckily the building was under renovations.

I also have several church's with pre-schools & schools, and those folks mandate some type of discharge blocker in the contract. This is per the Church's insurance underwriter for the schools

If that's what they ask for I guess. Also I thought about the pic this morning. Be care with the windows. It's a window alley. I normally don't run a discharge chute so I'm always looking for windows.

South Florida Lawns
03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Neat looking machine there, can't beat a little Perkapillar. What kinda RPM's it running when its in those conditions? There was a Ferris at the local cat dealership not too long ago getting an overhaul, that thing would roast off the chevron tires like it was nothing. What size deck is on that BB?