PDA

View Full Version : help my 2003 c4500 needs tires (suffolk NY)

cmlandscapeconstruction
03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Can anyone help me find the least expensive tires for my 2003 c4500. i currentely have michelin XDE M/S (REAR )225/70r19.5 need 4.
michelin pilot XZA (front) 225/70r19.5 need 2.
thank you in advance chris

Dirt Digger2
03-31-2009, 02:54 PM
get the rears recapped

Gravel Rat
03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
For the rears go with Ohtsu I'am finding the recapped 225/70R19.5 tires are not the greatest. I have all Michelin casings and caps done by Bandag.

For steer tires I hate to say it but don't buy the cheap tires you will have nothing but problems. One they won't ride as nice and wear as good.

I wouldn't run Michelin pilot they are actually a RV tire you would want to use the XZE Rib. You can't get the XDE anymore michelin discontinued that tread design on 225/19.5 tires the replacement tread pattern isn't as good.

The Ohtsu tires are good enough for drive tires they are a overseas import made by Sumitomo tire. It is what I'am going to go with on my F-450.

What ever you do is don't buy Goodyear 19.5 tires I have heard lots of complaints. Bridgestone is okay I'am currently trying Toyo M-109z so far I'am happy with them they are wearing good on the steer axle of my truck.

I thinking about the Toyo M-608z for drive tires but I hate to see the price but still cheaper than Michelins.

South Florida Lawns
03-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Have you looked into Kumho tires? From what I hear they have some good tires and are cheaper than other brands.

Gravel Rat
03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Hankooks are fine I haven't used them in 19.5 sizes. For drive tires you can use pretty much anything but for steering control don't buy the cheapies as I meantioned.

The 225s have such a short sidewall so a tire that doesn't balance out good or has wobbles you will really feel it. If you are used to Michelin Pilots you will notice and cheap tire. Michelin Pilots like I said are mainly for RVs so they have a softer rubber and a nice handling tire but not really the best for a 4500 used as a dump or any kind of work truck that sees heavy loads and lots of miles.

CrystalCreek
04-01-2009, 12:06 AM
For the rears go with Ohtsu I'am finding the recapped 225/70R19.5 tires are not the greatest. I have all Michelin casings and caps done by Bandag.

For steer tires I hate to say it but don't buy the cheap tires you will have nothing but problems. One they won't ride as nice and wear as good.

I wouldn't run Michelin pilot they are actually a RV tire you would want to use the XZE Rib. You can't get the XDE anymore michelin discontinued that tread design on 225/19.5 tires the replacement tread pattern isn't as good.

The Ohtsu tires are good enough for drive tires they are a overseas import made by Sumitomo tire. It is what I'am going to go with on my F-450.

What ever you do is don't buy Goodyear 19.5 tires I have heard lots of complaints. Bridgestone is okay I'am currently trying Toyo M-109z so far I'am happy with them they are wearing good on the steer axle of my truck.

I thinking about the Toyo M-608z for drive tires but I hate to see the price but still cheaper than Michelins.

Some read the Bible at night, others read magazines or good books, but GravelRat reads tire pamphlets:laugh::laugh: This is good information. I was just wondering what bad things you have heard about 19.5 Goodyears. I have a buddy that uses them and seems happy? I was thinking of using them, but now im not sure. By the way, just busting you nuts man. When you work in a trucking long enough, I guess you pic stuff up.

Gravel Rat
04-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Actually a friend of mine just got a new 5500 Chevy the truck came from the factory with Goodyears. He said they are horrible they handle like crap and wobble.

I myself never had any luck with Goodyear tires.

Yes I know a little bit about tires. I do a little research before I slap down a grand for tires. A 225/70R19.5 tire in my area for a Michelin is about 390-400 Canadian each :dizzy:

srl28
04-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Ive got a 2004 c4500 4x2 and just got 4 rear drive tires. Had goodyears and got Westlakes now. Theyre imports but have the same tread design and pattern basically. Were about 600 cheaper all together. Done well so far but only have about 2k on em.

ConstSvcs
04-01-2009, 12:51 AM
I've been using these with great success.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/transport/themes/construction/regional/regional_en.html

Drive: HDR
Steer: HSR

Purchased 4 drives and two steering tires for $2600 mounted and balanced. Solid feel on the steering tires and my FRR puts a lot of weight on the HSR's. Very happy with the HDR drivers as well.