PDA

View Full Version : Having mulch delivered

Jmill88
03-31-2009, 01:48 PM
I am just starting out this year and only have a small 5 X 10 trailer. I have a customer that needs 10 yards of mulch installed. How many of you have mulch delivered to the site? Do they just dump it in the driveway/side of the road? Do customers complain about this? Like I said, I'm new and need some advice. Thanks

Sweet Tater
03-31-2009, 02:07 PM
I have never had mulch delivered, but did some dirt, make sure you put down a tarp, it makes cleanup a whole lot easier, and dont leave it long or you will kill the grass under it

JacksonLawns
03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
I have had it delivered before and was able to tell them where I wanted it (left/right side of driveway). I have not experienced it but have heard that the dark dyed mulches can stain concrete. Again, that is just something that I have been told over the years.

JeffNY
03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
I had it dumped in part of the driveway, it was big enough to be out of the way, and DEF put a tarp down. You can put it in the lawn as long as you don't leave it there more than a day er so.

RLS24
03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
I have topsoil delivered all the time. If the job site is a good distance away from the place I get mulch, and I need more than one truck load then I would have it delivered. I'm actually doing this with a job in a couple week. The place is giving me a deal on delivery too because I am getting soil and mulch so they said they will just pull a dump trailer with my mulch behind the the dumptruck with the soil and can dump it all at once. works out good for both of us!

Isobel
03-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Just tell the driver where you want it dumped. The client should understand that the [pile is only there for a short time.

GreenAcresLandscaping
03-31-2009, 06:35 PM
I was in your shoes 2 yeas ago and i found that for the 10-20 delivery charge it is much easier to have your local commercial yard to deliver it. $20 isn't worth the time or gas.

GreenAcresLandscaping
03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
I was in your shoes 2 yeas ago and i found that for the 10-20 delivery charge it is much easier to have your local commercial yard to deliver it. $20 isn't worth the time or gas.

punt66
03-31-2009, 07:28 PM

Delivery fee is a non issue. Its always best to work the mulch out of the truck because there is less bending and smaller mess of the clients property. Also if you dont finish you bring the mess home or if there is too much you dont have to load it back up. I would never dump on my clients property but to each his own.

Jmill88
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
I think I'm going to just put a tarp down first and have it delivered. I would have to take at least 3 trips, which is not worth it. With the tarp, I don't think the cleanup or mess will be that big of a deal. Thanks for the feedback.

punt66
03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
I think I'm going to just put a tarp down first and have it delivered. I would have to take at least 3 trips, which is not worth it. With the tarp, I don't think the cleanup or mess will be that big of a deal. Thanks for the feedback.
how much mulch do you need? With wood sides and a 3/4t or larger truck you can bring in 5 yards a load.

david shumaker
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
I have it delivered. I'd rather make less money than have to pick up mulch all the time. If it's just a small area, I just buy it by the bag.

yardatwork
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
They will dump it where you tell them to...you should be there for delivery. However, go get the mulch yourself and haul it on the trailer. I have a 6'4" x 16' trailer and I can haul 6 yards of mulch on it. You could probably get about 3-4 yards on yours and then charge a small delivery fee per trip.

TimNNJ
04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
just pass the delivery charge onto the client...add it into the price

LB1234
04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
We dump in the driveway, street, or leave it in the dump trailer. We also powerwash (if needed) the driveway once we are done. Generally speaking, if its more than one load on the trailer (11 yds) then we have delivered. As others have mentioned it isn't worth your time or effort to drive back and forth and put unnecessary wear/tear on the truck.