PDA

View Full Version : sandstone wall C & H LAWN/LANDSCAPING

scagmower
03-31-2009, 01:28 PM
we built 3 of the retaining walls yesterday, in one day with a four person crew!!!!! but i thought they turned out pretty good. From now on all post all my picts on this thread. let me know what you guys think. Just a little about myself we do work in southern IN doing residential and commercial serving about 80 clients, I have 4 full time employees. Im only 19 yrs old too, and everything you see is what i bought and own.

scagmower
03-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Under TELL YOUR STORY THREAD, theres a thread floating around called 19 and growing!!!!!! with some picts of my equipment, and employees check em out!!

Skimastr105
03-31-2009, 04:48 PM
walls look pretty nice - the drain tile on that second one is hideous!!! Why did you leave it like that? Is there something I can't see in the pic?

kl680
03-31-2009, 06:19 PM
I think I see why they were done so quickly that thing could fall down with a stiff wind

Swampy
03-31-2009, 06:32 PM
looks good but in the first picture the 2nd from the top you have some bigger stones in there that should have been placed in the bottom rows.

scagmower
03-31-2009, 06:45 PM
I think I see why they were done so quickly that thing could fall down with a stiff wind

hey buddy i like to see u blow that thing over, each walls got 8 bags of concrete in them, oh and if you cant notice each wall has been gauge, and sloped 1- 1/2 inches every three ft. back so its not falling over anytime soon, also i offer a 5 yr warranty on retaining walls which alot of other companies that do crappy work wont do. I stand by every bit of work i do

:nono:

scagmower
03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
walls look pretty nice - the drain tile on that second one is hideous!!! Why did you leave it like that? Is there something I can't see in the pic?

yeah i just did what the customer wanted, he wanted it gradely cut down like a trough that went into his pond, the pond was way down but i think he wanted the culvert running down farther into the pond so things wouldn't errode

Skimastr105
03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
icic. seems like the stone on the banks would prevent erosion, but i guess the customer gets what the customer wants. lol

scagmower
03-31-2009, 06:54 PM
looks good but in the first picture the 2nd from the top you have some bigger stones in there that should have been placed in the bottom rows.

i see what your saying but in alot of the books ive read, and just a few other professionals that ive got alot of advice from have told me to put a capstone on top or heavier stone on top with a 1 1/2 in slope every three inches going into the ground. But it dont matter let me know what you guys think

scagmower
03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
icic. seems like the stone on the banks would prevent erosion, but i guess the customer gets what the customer wants. lol

yeah if it was my choice i wouldve cut it off, haha but he wanted it that way lol oh well he was happy with them

Swampy
04-01-2009, 12:02 AM
i see what your saying but in alot of the books ive read, and just a few other professionals that ive got alot of advice from have told me to put a capstone on top or heavier stone on top with a 1 1/2 in slope every three inches going into the ground. But it dont matter let me know what you guys think

Well I said that cause that is what I just learned in one of my build classes at college. With heavier stone on top will tend to buckle between the layers with thinner stone in the middle at least to me it does. I'm not going to say I'm the smartest person in the room but I'm majoring in Landscape Horticulture and following another major in Civil Engineering. I'm in the process of writing a paper about flaws of using natural stone vs. prefab block.

But back setting and pitching it backwards that much is a little excessive for my area but I don't know anything of yours so I can't really say to much.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
04-01-2009, 09:13 AM
do you have a licence yet

scagmower
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
just another retaing wall. was about 7 ft tall and about 80ft in width. 4 person crew we did it in a little over 40 hrs.

scagmower
04-02-2009, 01:32 PM
do you have a licence yet

Yup totally legal in the state of Indiana, My dad has a exavating/construction business so hes helped me out with all that kinda stuff. All trucks are DOT approved too!!!!!!!:cool2:

2brothersyardcare
04-02-2009, 07:35 PM
nice work man

kl680
04-02-2009, 08:37 PM
That may be totally legal and the customer may like that but building a wall like that with sandstone is not very logical. Sandstone will eventually start to flake off and fall apart and your wall will have large holes. :hammerhead: You may have a cant to it but I don't think there is one level layer in a 10 ft. span, it looks like someone had their child take leftover stones and build a wall. You said there was 8 bags of cement in the last one, why would use cement and not mortar unless you are trying to create a cement wall with a bad veneer finish. You may want to think about quality and not quantity.

scagmower
04-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Well I said that cause that is what I just learned in one of my build classes at college. With heavier stone on top will tend to buckle between the layers with thinner stone in the middle at least to me it does. I'm not going to say I'm the smartest person in the room but I'm majoring in Landscape Horticulture and following another major in Civil Engineering. I'm in the process of writing a paper about flaws of using natural stone vs. prefab block.

But back setting and pitching it backwards that much is a little excessive for my area but I don't know anything of yours so I can't really say to much.

hey man thanks for the advise, and comments i appreciate your interest

scagmower
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM
That may be totally legal and the customer may like that but building a wall like that with sandstone is not very logical. Sandstone will eventually start to flake off and fall apart and your wall will have large holes. :hammerhead: You may have a cant to it but I don't think there is one level layer in a 10 ft. span, it looks like someone had their child take leftover stones and build a wall. You said there was 8 bags of cement in the last one, why would use cement and not mortar unless you are trying to create a cement wall with a bad veneer finish. You may want to think about quality and not quantity.

ok where are u from? Sandstone is a extremely popular for wall building in our area. Also i meant mortar, not cement! and yeah using block is going to be a alot sturdier, however have you ever heard of the customer wanting something , not the way you want it, your working for the customer! its what he wants! This isnt made to look perfect. Its not commercial, its character, and thats what this customer wanted with his log home, oh and there were 8 bags of mortar in the back of the wall on each one. also it was guaged and sloped back so its not falling over. All tell ya what in five yrs, which i offer a warrenty on each wall i do. All send a picture just to u in five yrs to prove you wrong that it will hold up. :cool2: I dont see to many companies out there offering warrenties on there work!!! i wouldnt offer one if it wasnt going to hold up

Kennedy Landscaping
04-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Looks pretty good. Have fun this season

riverwalklandscaping
04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
yikes thats a tall loose stone retaining wall..

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
04-03-2009, 09:06 AM
how deep is your compacted base/ how deep did you bury base. I can't tell from the pic. looks like its sitting on the ground. Also any drainage or gio gride/ tie backs?

M RASCOE&SONS
04-03-2009, 11:13 AM
just another retaing wall. was about 7 ft tall and about 80ft in width. 4 person crew we did it in a little over 40 hrs.
that wall looks like its about 4 or 5 ft tall and more like 200 ft wide and been standing for many yrs .

blake1012
04-03-2009, 01:29 PM
do you have drainage behind that big wall?

scagmower
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
that wall looks like its about 4 or 5 ft tall and more like 200 ft wide and been standing for many yrs .

yeah its old rock wall we repaired, redone a 40 ft section out of it. and no its taller than me and im 6'2 so closer to 7 ft

scagmower
04-03-2009, 09:58 PM
do you have drainage behind that big wall?

yeah we ran into some old drains, but we just repaired a 40 ft section of the wall.

scagmower
04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
how deep is your compacted base/ how deep did you bury base. I can't tell from the pic. looks like its sitting on the ground. Also any drainage or gio gride/ tie backs?

no its not sitting on ground, theres pea gravel, and its dug down about 20 inches or so. we just fixed a 40 ft section out of probably close to a 200 ft wall. i recommended tie backs but they said it wasnt necessary.

STIHL GUY
04-03-2009, 10:37 PM
looks good

scagmower
04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
just a few picts off the phone, were working 6 days a wk, which is overwhelming but good i guess. we just started mowing all 80 clients last wk