PDA

View Full Version : How to do I get materials in without any access

CK82
03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
I am currently bidding on a job at a home along a lake. The house is 20ft. below the driveway with a straight stairway leading from the driveway. There is a very steep flower bed with bushes and many obstacles next to the staircase. The job will be in need of every kind of material from 50lb+ boulders, decorative stone, and retaining wall block. I will need to bring in and take out material as we go. All of which can be moved by wheelbarrel or a Toro Dingo once at the houses level. I can use the neighbors driveway to bring in the Dingo, but Im positive I could not go up and down there driveway with it more than once. Any ideas or past knowledge on how to get my material down to this job?! Just to get your minds moving, I was thinking of making some sort of a plywood shoot going down the stair case, but 15ft from the end of the stairway is the front door to the house. This could be bad rolling 50lb rocks down it, or any other material for that matter. This would still leave me with getting the material removed up that same shoot. Are there any conveyors that would extend 25ft. or so and are easily maneuvered? Any ideas or info would help!

Thanks,
Chris

Smallaxe
03-31-2009, 11:25 PM
50lbs rocks are nothing. I've seen young girls haul bigger rocks than that on their shoulders. When it is difficult and a hydraulic lift isn't feasible. Use a dolley.

ALC-GregH
04-01-2009, 12:24 AM
This may sound crazy but can you use a boat and bring it in from the lake side? You didn't describe the back of the house. Is the material being use in the front or rear of the house?

Isobel
04-01-2009, 01:04 AM
50# boulders are really not that bad. once you start putting boulders on chutes--that can get really ugly, b/c how are you controlling the speed down the chute.

I would walk things up and down the stairs. Use a dolly if its safe.
If you're talking about lots and lots of materials, consider using a crane. It may seem over the top, but at least it'll be safe.

CK82
04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
There couldnt be any more obstacles at this house I will be working at. There is no access from the back (lakeside) as it is on a bluff which is 20ft.+ to the lakes edge. We will be removing bushes, old stone, exacvating for a retaining wall, and some drainage issues. So a boat would not work. I'm definitely not weak, I realize 50lb "rocks" are easily carried. The only problem is, is that nothing is easy to access as I stated. I trying to look at the project as a whole, and how I could bring in and remove material.

FLCthes4:11-12
04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I have had some jobs like that and it seems that they are always on a lake. Most of the time you just have to man up and add two more labors for each day that you will be on the job just to carry materials.

hardscaper
04-01-2009, 03:10 PM
I am currently bidding on a job at a home along a lake. The house is 20ft. below the driveway with a straight stairway leading from the driveway. There is a very steep flower bed with bushes and many obstacles next to the staircase. The job will be in need of every kind of material from 50lb+ boulders, decorative stone, and retaining wall block. I will need to bring in and take out material as we go. All of which can be moved by wheelbarrel or a Toro Dingo once at the houses level. I can use the neighbors driveway to bring in the Dingo, but Im positive I could not go up and down there driveway with it more than once. Any ideas or past knowledge on how to get my material down to this job?! Just to get your minds moving, I was thinking of making some sort of a plywood shoot going down the stair case, but 15ft from the end of the stairway is the front door to the house. This could be bad rolling 50lb rocks down it, or any other material for that matter. This would still leave me with getting the material removed up that same shoot. Are there any conveyors that would extend 25ft. or so and are easily maneuvered? Any ideas or info would help!

Thanks,
Chris

Try these.

CK82
04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I called my local contractor supply/rental store. They have conveyors. 25-30ft. I think it will work perfect. The transport wheels can be removed and I can set it on top of the stairs. Someone would definitely get injured if we were carrying all the material up and down by hand.

PSUturf
04-01-2009, 11:49 PM
If you need another source I think Aring Equipment on Stoughton Rd has conveyors. Now I'm sure you got the necessary permits for disturbing soil within 200 feet of a Dane County lake, right?

CK82
04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Sounds good I will give them a call as well. I will be checking into the permits as well. I should have known with the city of madison.

Thanks,
Chris

ParkviewNursery
04-02-2009, 04:19 PM
If not look into a barge, thats what i used.....usually had them set pallets for block and brick, and as well as rip rapping the banks. Conveyor belt is going to be tricky to keep your boulders from not falling while going down the hill. Do you have any pics of the site?

CK82
04-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I was thinking of setting them on either small pallets or in large rubbermaid containers. They are going to be much more than 50 pounders. I could carry them but the stairs are pretty steep. There is a spot where I could roll the boulders and they wouldnt do any damage.

BostonBull
04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Crane. We rent ours out for this type of work all the time. safest and fastest way mentioned so far.