PDA

View Full Version : J. Davis Landscape Contractor - 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey guys, I figured I would start my own thread and post pictures of my equipment and my jobs etc. I'm pretty new to the site, but I have been browsing the great info for quite some time now.

A little about myself..... I turned 21 3 weeks ago and this is my 2nd year officially in business, but have been mowing lawns etc since I was about 10(literally). Now I take classes at Rutgers for Landscape Design and am planning on eventually getting my Landscape Architecture degree. I also have my Horticulture degree from my Community college with an Associates in Business Management. I am an ICPI certified Paver installer and SRW builder through the NHMA. I am in the process of getting my Irrigation license to start intalling sprinkler systems, although I am doing a few now with a licensed plumber on my payroll.

My companies Services include:

-Brick Pavers - patios,walkways,driveways
-Retaining Walls
-Landscape Design
-Landscape Lighting
-Ponds and Waterfalls - Just got into this, have done much yet
-Irrigation Systems
-Fence installation
-Sod/Stone/Mulch
-Weekly Lawn service - only do about 15 accounts, do them by myself on the weekend
-Drainage

Thats about it. I will post some pics of old work I have on my computer in a little while and I will take pictures of my equipment and get them up here tomorrow as well. I haven't gotten my trucks lettered yet, but I am planning on doing it within the next few weeks.

Hope you guys read and enjoy.

good luck to everybody this season!:)

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Here's a retaining wall I did about a year and a half ago.
Railroad ties really suck. But they couldn't afford SRW.
Forgot to take before pictures.....there was an old rotted RR tie wall there

JosephLawnCare
03-31-2009, 09:18 PM
That some nice timber work! dead mans and all!!!! Good job.

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
The stupid fence is in the way of everything....I really sucked to work around it the whole time

DRBLawnBuster
03-31-2009, 09:24 PM
You guys do some very nice work !

stroker51
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Glad to see the deadmen, I just tore out a timber wall that had failed and replaced with SRW, the deadmen were a joke, screws from the front attempting to hold them to the back of the wall, and the longest one was about 2 foot. Needless to say when the wall started falling, due to poor grading and downspouts dumping right against it, the screws pulled out of the deadmen, left them in the hill side and the timbers went their own way. Anyway, look forward to seeing more work, we're about the same age and I always like to see what us younger guys are doing out there.

Mimowerman
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
very nice.... and great to see another successful young business owner! best of luck in 2009 !

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
That some nice timber work! dead mans and all!!!! Good job.

Thank you. The stupid thing took forever. Plus the people working for me at the time were my friends and they really took advantage of it. Showed up late, didnt show up at all etc.... Plus I had hurt one of my hands so I was swinging the sledge hammer driving in the 2' spikes with one hand in the middle of summer......talk about hating your life....lol

Those dead men are in so deep too, at the end of them they have the cross ties on them which are about 3'-6" long. Plus there is a drain at the bottom of the 3/4 clean blue stone. Needless to say I dont think its going anywhere. They homeowners were originally reluctant to hire me because at the time I was about 18 and they didnt think I could handle the job. Now they call me for every little thing, along with all their friends and neighbors....lol

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Glad to see the deadmen, I just tore out a timber wall that had failed and replaced with SRW, the deadmen were a joke, screws from the front attempting to hold them to the back of the wall, and the longest one was about 2 foot. Needless to say when the wall started falling, due to poor grading and downspouts dumping right against it, the screws pulled out of the deadmen, left them in the hill side and the timbers went their own way. Anyway, look forward to seeing more work, we're about the same age and I always like to see what us younger guys are doing out there.

Thank you I appreciate it. Yea deadmen are crucial in RR tie walls. I'll post some more stuff up in a little while, I'm in the process of cleaning this mess of a pile up on my desk here....lol

STIHL GUY
03-31-2009, 09:32 PM
looks good.

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 09:33 PM
very nice.... and great to see another successful young business owner! best of luck in 2009 !

Thanks man, good luck to you too. Nice to see your ICPI certified. Helps me out a ton. I have 4 paver jobs lined up already this year. Starting the first one on Thursday.....

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
looks good.

Thank You Stihl Guy

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 09:54 PM
This was the first landscape Design Job I did, also about 2 years ago. This was when I was first taking my Horticulture classes etc. so looking back on it I would have picked some different plant material. Customer wanted something to hide the side of his front sidewalk that you could see from the street. He didnt want anything that got to large, and wanted some evergreen color.

Again I forgot to take a before picture....:hammerhead:, but the planting bed was originally just all grass.

I used:

-Ilex crenata - Japanese Holly
-Chaemacyparis Pisifera Filifera 'Aurea Nana' - Gold Mop Cypress
-Stachys - Lamb's Ear(had alot of young kids, wanted something soft near walkway)
-Liriope Muscari - Lily Turf
- Lagestromia x Indica 'Razzle Dazzle' - Dwarf Crapemertle
- Huechera - Coral Bells

By the way that is NOT me in the picture, thats one of my buddys who was working for me that summer.

JosephLawnCare
03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
That's alot of clover. They care about the landscape, but not the weeds in the lawn?

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 09:58 PM
A few More....

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
That's alot of clover. They care about the landscape, but not the weeds in the lawn?

I agree....lol, I don't maintain the property, he does it himself. I have since put a flagstone patio in his yard and will be putting a sprinkler system in his backyard along with new sod, I am going to try to talk him into doing the front as well. :)

He's a really nice guy though, one of my first real 'clients' He has helped me get a lot more work and has told everybody he knows about me.

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
I have also since fixed the bed line of this planting bed....I know its kind of jagged in some of the pictures and not clear cut per-say, along with some marking paint. I fixed it the next day, I had to leave to make it to another quick mulch job before it got dark that day.

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Ok one more set of pictures for the night....

This was my very first Brick Paver walkway. Also done about 2 years ago. I had never layed a paver in my life before this job....lol

Again I forgot to take a before picture.....:hammerhead::hammerhead:....I think I get to excited and just dive right in...lol, and by the time I remember its to late

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Just a few more.....

Also, take note...the walkway where it meets the steps looks like it is crooked and sloping to the left but is actually dead level, the board of wood on the riser for the step is all messed up and has since been replaced.

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Ok thats all for now..... At least you could all see my starter jobs, like I said these are kind of old. My newer jobs are not loaded on the computer right now and I will post more up as soon as I have the time along with my equipment and my mason dump I just bought.....Thanks for reading and looking guys....time for a run to the liquor store for a few cold ones before bed, I think I'm gunna watch Role Models again, that movie is funny as SH*T!

Lakewlc
03-31-2009, 10:32 PM
very nice job on the pavers

JDavisLandscapes
03-31-2009, 11:35 PM
very nice job on the pavers

Thank you..

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Her's a few pics of my 2 trucks. Like I said I'm planning on getting them both lettered ASAP, within the next few weeks. As soon as they get done I'll post some new pics up.

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Here's a few more. Have a picture of my trailer there too. It looks like crap now but I'm going to paint it soon. I got it for 300 bucks and have since welded on a new crank and rewired the lights. It can hold a bobcat and pallets of pavers, which is basically all I use it for. Probably gunna get a big sign put on the back tailgate too. Will most likely turn into my lawn crew trailer once I work up enough accounts and get a nicer heavier duty one for the construction crew.

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Here's a few pictures of my second paver job I ever did. It was right at my parents house.....Needed it really bad, and I gave them a really good deal payup. Did the job about a year and a half ago. Forgot to take the before picture with the WAY overgrown birds nest spruce lifting up the walkway, but I do have one of me ripping the stump out with my truck....lol

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I wound up getting rid of the step up by the driveway and making it a smooth sloping transition instead. IMO I thought it would work out better. Plus one less step for someobdy to bust there AS* on. These pics were just taken, so this is about a year and a half after the install itself.

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 03:49 PM
A few more with it wet.....I think it looks cooler like that.

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
We usually put annuals in the mulch bed winding around the walkway but I think I'm going to go with something different this year. Maybe some type of Lily or Liriope.

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 03:53 PM
The reason we have the mulch bed there at all is the stupid Irrigation guy put the box right in the middle of the lawn like 8 years ago. The mulch hides the eye sore. I wish my parents never put the system in, b/c I could put such a much more efficient system in for them now for the cost of the materials. But oh well, the guy actually got in trouble for putting in illegal systems, lol. Well, at least that what my irrigation teacher told me. But he was the former president of the Irrigation association of New Jersey, so I tend to believe him.

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Ok thats it for now, time to go do a few estimates.....

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Here's a larger image of my logo

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 08:48 PM
ok nvm it didnt work....sorry

sunray
04-01-2009, 09:08 PM
very nice work.

DRBLawnBuster
04-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Very nice equipment!!!That green trailer could use a new coat of paint.

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Couldn't agree more! I went and bought the paint about an hour ago, planning on painting it within a week or so. I'm also gunna get a large sign for the back tailgate. For the price I paid for it, I've made soooooooooooooo much money off the darn thing. lol But Paint is definitly coming ASAP. I got hunter green rustoleum for it.

Kennedy Landscaping
04-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Everything looks awesome! I really like your trucks too. Also on the first paver job I think I spy a Toro Snow Thrower in that garage.

tls22
04-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Great work.....looks very good. I will try to stop by 2morrow. Good luck with the season:drinkup:

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Everything looks awesome! I really like your trucks too. Also on the first paver job I think I spy a Toro Snow Thrower in that garage.

Thank you for the kind words......Yea if I remember correctly it was a toro blower...lol....good eye

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Great work.....looks very good. I will try to stop by 2morrow. Good luck with the season:drinkup:

Thank you....you too. Yea feel free to stop by. I'll be there most of the day as long as its not pouring.... Like I said right on Poole Ave. Driveway was just done re-paved with belgian blocks.

:drinkup: <---- I'm all for this right now, trying to drown my sorrows of the Devils 6 game skid with as much beer as I could find in my house......lol so basically I might be kind of out of it tomorrow...lol

Perry Lawn & Landscape
04-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Very nice looking work

JDavisLandscapes
04-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Very nice looking work

Thank you Perry

2brothersyardcare
04-02-2009, 08:41 PM
do you do mowing to?

JDavisLandscapes
04-03-2009, 12:13 AM
do you do mowing to?

Yea I do 15 yards a week, I do them all one day a week by myself. Takes me the whole day but its worth it. Eventually when I have enough accounts I'll run a full crew while I do the Designs, Irrigation, Hardscaping etc. Usually when I do any type of Landscape install whether its plant material or sod etc, I wind up landing the account. I really like to maintain my designs b/c I know what look I was trying to achieve and how and when to prune the plants. I would be upset to see my beautiful design I took so much time to draw up and then install get infested with 5 mexicans with gas powered trimmers and turn everything into a bunch of meatballs and hockey pucks......lol

KrayzKajun
04-03-2009, 12:21 AM
you do some great work!!

JDavisLandscapes
04-03-2009, 12:51 AM
you do some great work!!

Thank you very much.......By the way SWEEEEEEET TRUCK!!! I love the new fords. Hopefully in a nother year or to I could get one

SNAPPER MAN
04-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Everything looks good man but easy on the latino comments!!

JDavisLandscapes
04-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Everything looks good man but easy on the latino comments!!

Thanks man.....Yes sorry about that, got a little carried away.

:usflag:

SNAPPER MAN
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
VIVA LA RAZA!! Lmao

blsmonroe
04-04-2009, 11:57 AM
meatballs and hockey pucks? did you happen to have bruce hamilton as a teacher? sounds like something he'd say.

JDavisLandscapes
04-04-2009, 01:13 PM
meatballs and hockey pucks? did you happen to have bruce hamilton as a teacher? sounds like something he'd say.

Haha....yes I did have Bruce Hamilton as a teacher. Taught my Principles and Practices of Landscape Design class......lol, did you have him as well?

JDavisLandscapes
04-04-2009, 01:14 PM
VIVA LA RAZA!! Lmao
haha .

blsmonroe
04-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Ha yeah I had him for landscape plants a few years back. Good teacher.

Are you enrolled in a degree program or are you just taking a few classes? I went to cook for a semester but decided to transfer to middlesex for business. I'm thinking now it might be a good idea to go back and take a few design classes.

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C
04-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Yea I do 15 yards a week, I do them all one day a week by myself. Takes me the whole day but its worth it. Eventually when I have enough accounts I'll run a full crew while I do the Designs, Irrigation, Hardscaping etc. Usually when I do any type of Landscape install whether its plant material or sod etc, I wind up landing the account. I really like to maintain my designs b/c I know what look I was trying to achieve and how and when to prune the plants. I would be upset to see my beautiful design I took so much time to draw up and then install get infested with 5 mexicans with gas powered trimmers and turn everything into a bunch of meatballs and hockey pucks......lol

Hey...Be nice..:nono: You're doing good..dont screw it up...Nice work btw Thumbs Up

JDavisLandscapes
04-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Ha yeah I had him for landscape plants a few years back. Good teacher.

Are you enrolled in a degree program or are you just taking a few classes? I went to cook for a semester but decided to transfer to middlesex for business. I'm thinking now it might be a good idea to go back and take a few design classes.

Yea, I've taken a ton of the classes they offer and am going to transfer over my Horticulture and Business credit from Brookdale to get my Bachelor's in Landscape Architecture. I took the Landscape Plants as well, he was one of my teachers too, along with steve christoph, derron, and allison....

JDavisLandscapes
04-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey...Be nice..:nono: You're doing good..dont screw it up...Nice work btw Thumbs Up

Sorry, I just hate seeing some nice design work getting murdered.....lol

I'll be cool now :cool2:

Thank you for the complements though

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Here's a small paver job I'm currently working on. The darn weather is killing me so its taking longer than I wanted it to, but what can you do. Job is 200 sq. ft total. The guy decided to do the pavers after doing the driveway so I have to work around it which is killing me, but work is work. I got the referral through the paving company I am affiliated with. I worked with them for a long time since I was young, and now they foward me all paver walkway and patio calls they get and we go half on the paver driveways(since they have heavy duty equipment etc.).

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Here's some more.....

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 01:16 AM
more.........

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 01:22 AM
last few for now

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 01:24 AM
I will be saw cutting the concrete sticking out in the backyard, just didnt have my demo saw with me. I tried talking him into doing that as well, but he didnt have the money for it.....maybe down the road

Petr51488
04-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Looking good! Do you rent all the tools for the job or do you own them? (hardscaping stuff). Also, do you have a machine to break up the existing concrete or do you do all that by hand? Rutgers in Newark? or New Brunswick?

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Looking good! Do you rent all the tools for the job or do you own them? (hardscaping stuff). Also, do you have a machine to break up the existing concrete or do you do all that by hand? Rutgers in Newark? or New Brunswick?

Hey Petr...... I own most of the hardscaping tools, plate tamper, wet saw, demo saw..... But unfortunetly I can't afford a tractor yet so I still have to bust out the concrete by hand with a sledge hammer. It stinks, but I'm paying for my mason dump this year, and next year planning on buying a mini skid, like a dingo. I go to the Cook Campus of Rutgers in New Brunswick, NJ.

Where in NJ are you?

Petr51488
04-07-2009, 01:39 AM
I see, i bet the dingo will save you alot of aches and pains though! I'm up near giants stadium.

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Cool, most of my family is up there, in Lynhurst. So i'm usually up there around the holidays, did you go to the landscape trade show up there in the Meadowlands expo center?

Yes the dingo will save me doctor bills in the near future....my back is in pain as we speak. Its tough paying for everything though, I am still in college, its tough. I'm happy to have the mason dump this year though, pressing a button and watching everything just come right out puts a smile on my face. I did some jobs last year where I had to put it in my pick-up and shovel it out of the back of it.....talk about sucking.....

Petr51488
04-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Cool, most of my family is up there, in Lynhurst. So i'm usually up there around the holidays, did you go to the landscape trade show up there in the Meadowlands expo center?

Yes the dingo will save me doctor bills in the near future....my back is in pain as we speak. Its tough paying for everything though, I am still in college, its tough. I'm happy to have the mason dump this year though, pressing a button and watching everything just come right out puts a smile on my face. I did some jobs last year where I had to put it in my pick-up and shovel it out of the back of it.....talk about sucking.....

Yea, i do work in lyndhurst. I'm the next town over. I didn't go to the trade show in the meadowlands though. I'm the type of person that if i see something i like, i have to buy it lol It will bug the hell out of me until i buy it lol You should maybe look into getting a dump trailer. They'll hold alot more then the dump truck and costs you 0 in insurance and very little on maintenance. Check out my setup. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250869 Its a 6x12 dump with 12k axles that can roughly hold 10k lbs. Very versatile.

JerseyGreen
04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
when did you get that f-350 pick up, Last winter I was looking at a truck almost identical in north jersey

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Yea, i do work in lyndhurst. I'm the next town over. I didn't go to the trade show in the meadowlands though. I'm the type of person that if i see something i like, i have to buy it lol It will bug the hell out of me until i buy it lol You should maybe look into getting a dump trailer. They'll hold alot more then the dump truck and costs you 0 in insurance and very little on maintenance. Check out my setup. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250869 Its a 6x12 dump with 12k axles that can roughly hold 10k lbs. Very versatile.

Yes, I completely agree with you. Dump trailers are nice. I really like your setup too. I'm planning on getting one next year and pulling it with my pick-up so I could run two trucks with dirt etc. I looked into it, but really needed another truck because I was having problems when I got really busy splitting up. I was getting sick of dropping my guys off and having to go back to get them etc. So now when things get busy I could work 2 different jobs at once. Plus I got a good deal on the mason dump I couldn't turn it down. payup

Yea at the trade show I was sitting in the mini - excavators wondering how I could pull off making payments on it....lol love the seats and a/c heat in those darn things.....

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 04:37 PM
when did you get that f-350 pick up, Last winter I was looking at a truck almost identical in north jersey

I bought it about 2 winters ago. In Shrewsbury, NJ. I can't wait to get it lettered!

JDavisLandscapes
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM

I forget the name of the road they live off of down there. I think its ridge rd? its right along a little river. Its right off of rt. 3 by a burger king.

Petr51488
04-07-2009, 05:26 PM
I forget the name of the road they live off of down there. I think its ridge rd? its right along a little river. Its right off of rt. 3 by a burger king.

haha yea i think its park ave by the bk. Riverside ave is the road along the passaic river. Whose their landscaper? lol

JDavisLandscapes
04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
here are some updated pictures of the job I'm doing......Its taking a while because of the weather and some other jobs I have going on. Should be done tomorrow.

JDavisLandscapes
04-09-2009, 11:15 PM
I ran out of 6x9 blocks so I need to pick up some more to finish up tomorrow. one of the 2 pallets I got for this job had only 12 6x9's on it! the other one only had like 30 or so. I'll be picking up about 40 more tomorrow and giving them some of the 6x6's back.

Petr51488
04-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Nice Job. I want to learn how to do something like that one of these days.

JDavisLandscapes
04-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Nice Job. I want to learn how to do something like that one of these days.

Thanks.....Its definitly something you should look into! I love hardscaping. Once you know what your doing its pretty easy. Just very tedious and time consuming, if you want to do it the right way

Petr51488
04-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks.....Its definitly something you should look into! I love hardscaping. Once you know what your doing its pretty easy. Just very tedious and time consuming, if you want to do it the right way

I bet. I learn from doing it... so learning in a class won't help me lol. Its not something i want to do for accounts though, just like a personal goal of saying i know how to do a paver walkway. What does something like that cost you to do?, not what you charge the customer.

They have either a large distributor, of the actual plant for cambridge paving stoans by my house. Their actually in lyndhurst too.

PlatinumLandCon
04-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Bottom step.

Also, do you use any edge restraint?

JDavisLandscapes
04-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Bottom step.

Yes I completely agree with you. We actually had a lengthy discussion on this. We decided against it. We weighed the pros and cons of it. It would have made the slope extremely steep along with making a dangerous difference in height from the grass to the walkway, especially near the steps. Plus, the old walkway was at that same height. I know it SHOULD be equal, the technical equation would be 2t + r = 24 - 26 inches. T being the tred and R being the Riser. In this situation it seemed like it would have caused more problems than solving them.

I totally agree with you though, I see it everyday when I come home and it bothers me to no extent.

JDavisLandscapes
04-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I bet. I learn from doing it... so learning in a class won't help me lol. Its not something i want to do for accounts though, just like a personal goal of saying i know how to do a paver walkway. What does something like that cost you to do?, not what you charge the customer.

They have either a large distributor, of the actual plant for cambridge paving stoans by my house. Their actually in lyndhurst too.

The job I just posted pictures of costs me a total of about $1,000. $715 for the pavers, $50 for the polymeric sand, $25 for the base material, $40 for the mason sand, $20 to dump the old concrete, $45, for the bags of cement for the edging, about 40-50 bucks in gas, 25 or so for a saw blade. yea i think i just about included everything other than labor and profit of course

JDavisLandscapes
04-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Bottom step.

Yes I use troweled concrete edging. I also put rebar inside the concrete for extra reinforcement per ICPI guidelines. especially on driveways. You MUST make sure you are putting this concrete on top of the OVER extended base(6 inches minimum) that you created compacted to 98% proctor density. You cant put it on top of the screeded sand or anything of that nature or it will be an ineffective restraint. I have seen many of plastic edging fail over time and it is much more expensive. The only time concrete edging will fail is if it is improperly installed. Putting it on the solid base prevents shifting and putting rebar inside of it prevents cracking and pieces splitting off.

Guzman Properties
04-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Very nice work!!! Keep it up and lots of luck!!!

JDavisLandscapes
04-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Very nice work!!! Keep it up and lots of luck!!!

Thank you guzman, good luck to you too this year!

JDavisLandscapes
04-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Will hopefully have the finished pictures up of the last job I posted tomorrow. Plus some pictures of the job we are currently working on...

JDavisLandscapes
04-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Some pics from today. I busted out the camera early then forgot to take some at the end of the day but I had layed almost all the pavers by the time I left today. Thats one of my lazy workers in the pic. He sucked. dont hire friends to work for you

2brothersyardcare
04-18-2009, 05:50 AM
well it loks good b4 the stone

JDavisLandscapes
04-18-2009, 09:10 PM
A few more pics from today

JDavisLandscapes
04-18-2009, 09:13 PM
heres a few more

CALandscapes
04-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Can't believe you remove the concrete by hand, although I'm impressed! :weightlifter:

You'll definitely by VERY happy when you invest in a mini skid; watch how much faster (and easier!) those jobs roll by....

Looks like you're doing well... And nice work, too! :clapping:

JDavisLandscapes
04-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Can't believe you remove the concrete by hand, although I'm impressed! :weightlifter:

You'll definitely by VERY happy when you invest in a mini skid; watch how much faster (and easier!) those jobs roll by....

Looks like you're doing well... And nice work, too! :clapping:

Yea it definitly sucks removing by hand. I have a few patios coming up where I'll be renting either a dingo or regular bobcat. I just didnt want to let my overhead get to high this year so I figured I'd suck it up and do the smaller ones by hand and rent on the large ones. Hopefully this time next year I will be posting pics of my new machine....:)

Thank you for the compliments though, I really like to take my time and do everything the right way, from start to finish. Like I've told some of my customers, I'm not trying to pay for a ferrari or a huge house or anything. Just looking to get my name out there with top notch work and pay off my equipment, although I still like to make sure my wallet is pretty heavy as well....:cool2:

JDavisLandscapes
04-20-2009, 09:22 AM
here's a few finished pictures of that job, I should have the finished pics of the first project I posted soon, I'll be back there to do his landscaping sometime this week

JDavisLandscapes
04-20-2009, 09:26 AM
here's a few more after wet misted the poly sand down

Petr51488
04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Looks great! Is there any way to keep the pavers looking wet like that all the time? Maybe some type of wax that can be applied every year? I think its looks great when its wet.

JDavisLandscapes
04-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Looks great! Is there any way to keep the pavers looking wet like that all the time? Maybe some type of wax that can be applied every year? I think its looks great when its wet.

Yea, there are certain types of sealers that will give it a "wet look" all the time. Sometimes they will make the pavers a little bit slippery though, so you have to be careful.

......This weather sucks! I'm spending the whole day doing design work and estimates, no outside for me today...:)

Petr51488
04-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Yep, same here. I had alot of work lined up for today but will have to push it up till tomorrow. I've been doing estimates and running around today..

Supper Grassy
04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice Work!!

JDavisLandscapes
04-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Nice Work!!

Thanks!

nnj18
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Thats one of my lazy workers in the pic. He sucked. dont hire friends to work for you

tell me about it!!! Nice work btw man!

JDavisLandscapes
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
tell me about it!!! Nice work btw man!

haha yea I think the past 2 years about 7 or so of my friends helped me from time to time. I can honestly say only one of them was good and one was ok. the rest were terrible. They acted like I was paying them to come hang out with me or talk to me while I worked......lol

Thank you for the compliments......Its freakin pouring outside! I hope it stops soon, this weather is getting me really backed up!

CrystalCreek
04-20-2009, 11:36 PM
haha yea I think the past 2 years about 7 or so of my friends helped me from time to time. I can honestly say only one of them was good and one was ok. the rest were terrible. They acted like I was paying them to come hang out with me or talk to me while I worked......lol

Thank you for the compliments......Its freakin pouring outside! I hope it stops soon, this weather is getting me really backed up!

I do feel your pain about the rain.....But its beats the hell out of a Drought. I would rather rain every day instead of dry hay. I'll get off my soap box now.

While I am here, I will say that your work is AMAZING!!!! I wish you lived closer to me cause I would gladly pay you to do my driveway this fall. I cant find anyone I trust, but your work speaks for its self. Maybe I could come work for you and learn than do my own...

Tell me, how do you keep a driveway from settling under the weight of a Very heavy F350 CC diesel. Even my asphalt driveway failed under the weight after a few years. Looks like three inch ruts going up the center.:cry: I was told that a concrete drive must be poured then the blocks layed on top? Does that sound right to you?

02DURAMAX
04-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Looks Great man!!!!

Nice work!!

JDavisLandscapes
04-21-2009, 01:34 AM
I do feel your pain about the rain.....But its beats the hell out of a Drought. I would rather rain every day instead of dry hay. I'll get off my soap box now.

While I am here, I will say that your work is AMAZING!!!! I wish you lived closer to me cause I would gladly pay you to do my driveway this fall. I cant find anyone I trust, but your work speaks for its self. Maybe I could come work for you and learn than do my own...

Tell me, how do you keep a driveway from settling under the weight of a Very heavy F350 CC diesel. Even my asphalt driveway failed under the weight after a few years. Looks like three inch ruts going up the center.:cry: I was told that a concrete drive must be poured then the blocks layed on top? Does that sound right to you?

Yea I agree, although I've been doing more paver work this year than landscape design or plantings, sod, etc so i could work A ok in a drought....lol

Thank you for the compliments. If you ever feel like coming down(or up? fair lawn?) to learn how to do the work I don't mind.

The real way to prevent a driveway from settling is preparing a proper base. It doesnt matter if its asphalt or pavers or concrete, you need a properly installed base for it to survive over time. For pavers you are going to want to install a base of about 12-14 inches. When doing this you must do it in 2 inch lifts with a plate compactor or 4 inch lifts with a vibratory roller. Make sure to wet the Quary Processed stone to 10 percent moisture levels(mist the Q.P. if it is dry) for optimum compaction rates. Also make sure to over extend the base of your driveway at least 6 inches farther than where the pavers will end. You will also need to put Bi-Woven Geotextile fabric in between the sub-grade and the Q.P. base. This prevents the sub grade from eventually migrating into your base and eroding your base from underneath. Sometimes I will even mix in a few bags of portland cement with my base and it really hardens it up. I also make sure to put re-bar inside all of my concrete edging on driveways to prevent cracking. Also using polymeric sand to prevent joint wash out and having to pick weeds out of the paver joints, aka no future maintenance. Use mason or concrete sand as your bedding sand, not stone dust....last but not least you want to use some type of herringbone pattern for a driveway because it holds up better than other patterns when it comes to weight distribution. Make sure the pavers you use are 2 3/8 thick. Do not use any paver larger than 9"x9" because they distribute weight differently and could crack under heavy loads. 12"x12" pavers are actually not technically pavers, they are considered slabs.

I wouldn't recommend pouring a concrete slab then putting pavers on top of it. That really defeats the purpose of pavers. The concrete would still heave through freeze/thaw cycles and cause the pavers to do the same. I have gone on a few estimates where the homeowner has said another guy told them thats what they do for there pavers on driveway aprons, and I have to explain why it doesnt make sense. Its very hard to change their thoughts on this because they hear concrete and automatically think stronger, better, last longer....etc

JDavisLandscapes
04-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Looks Great man!!!!

Nice work!!

Thank you very much Duramax.......let me know how the truck hunt turns out...good luck with everything...:drinkup:

JDavisLandscapes
04-22-2009, 01:48 AM
just bought a zero turn 50" cub cadet today. I got a good deal on it I would have much rather bought a better brand name mower. I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a mower when I only cut 15 lawns a week! I needed something bigger to get my lawns done quicker to focus on my hardscapes and landscape designs. I'll have pictures when I pick it up tomorrow.

A-Land
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Looks like your business is progressing nicely J. Davis. Good work too!

Are you getting into most of these places by referrals now?

JDavisLandscapes
04-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Looks like your business is progressing nicely J. Davis. Good work too!

Are you getting into most of these places by referrals now?

Thank you. Yes I am very pleased with how things are moving along. I just landed two more paver jobs. Both patios. One is 700 sq. feet with an outdoor kitchen and the other one is 750 sq. ft. This plus some small stuff mixed in has us booked to the 3rd week in may right now. Then I am working on a large design/install project after that which will come out to about $25,000....my largest project to date. Then I also have a raised patio coming up with a seating wall with down lighting under the cap stone of the SRW. these two should push us to around 4th of july. I'm pretty excited, but also really exhausted. I am doing a lot of the work/labor, plus all the running around, all the designs, estimates, proposals, paperwork, plus I am still going to school 2 nights a week. Last week I put in a little over 70 hrs and I had to work sunday as well. I am actually planning on adding 1 more guy to get things moving a little quicker on these projects.

About half of my work is through referrals. The other half is from flyers I have handed out earlier in the season or from flyers I hang up on local bulletin boards and stuff. I have about 6 more paver and 2 more landscape design proposals on the table and some of them sounded like they were going to eventually go ahead with it. I am almost not looking forward to getting a call from them because I really have no time to add on any more work.

JDavisLandscapes
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Here are some pics of my new mower. Yes I know its not the top of the line model or some fancy pantsy zero turn. Please remember I mow 15 properties a week. This is more than enough for me. I can now add a few more and be confident I could get them done in one day. I needed something to get my lawns done faster because I need to spend most of my time on my paver and landscape projects. This thing will help a lot! Got it for $3,200 with 0% financing and no payments for the first 6 months. Will have it pay for itself for before I have to make a payment. Down the road I will look into nicer mowers (Exmark, Walker, etc) but I need a darn skid steer or dingo first before I break my back!!

mkwl
04-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Looks good man! Do you keep your trucks in your driveway overnight? I'm having a real issue by me, my truck "should" have commercial plates on it, but I can't have anything commercially registered parked in my driveway overnight-:nono: damn borough ordinances.

How do you like Rutgers? I looked into their program, but opted to go to where I am now (SUNY-Cobleskill BT Landscape Contracting), and love it! Tough for work though- have to travel about 3 hrs just to get home!

JDavisLandscapes
04-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Looks good man! Do you keep your trucks in your driveway overnight? I'm having a real issue by me, my truck "should" have commercial plates on it, but I can't have anything commercially registered parked in my driveway overnight-:nono: damn borough ordinances.

How do you like Rutgers? I looked into their program, but opted to go to where I am now (SUNY-Cobleskill BT Landscape Contracting), and love it! Tough for work though- have to travel about 3 hrs just to get home!

Yea right now everything has been kept in my driveway. I will be moving my mason dump and trailer to the yard I will be keeping them in(big yard by my house where about 10 companies keep there equipment...plus the paving company i do work for) I will still keep a lot of my equipment in my shed and garage though for safe keeping until i get an enclosed trailer. and i will obviously be bringing the pick-up home because it also doubles as my daily driver for the time being.

Yea I do like rutgers, learned a ton there. I am taking my time though, want to drag out my health care plan under my parents as long as possible.....lol.....where are you exactly going right now? haven't heard of it, but it does sound pretty cool!

mkwl
04-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Yea right now everything has been kept in my driveway. I will be moving my mason dump and trailer to the yard I will be keeping them in(big yard by my house where about 10 companies keep there equipment...plus the paving company i do work for) I will still keep a lot of my equipment in my shed and garage though for safe keeping until i get an enclosed trailer. and i will obviously be bringing the pick-up home because it also doubles as my daily driver for the time being.

Yea I do like rutgers, learned a ton there. I am taking my time though, want to drag out my health care plan under my parents as long as possible.....lol.....where are you exactly going right now? haven't heard of it, but it does sound pretty cool!

Sounds good to me- same here- I have most of my still at my parents house- they're not thrilled to have it there, but it works for now.

Nice, yeah health insurance is expensive (like every other insurance lol). I'm at the State University of New York at Cobleskill- College of Agriculture and Technology for a Bachelors in Landscape Contracting- I love it! Covers all design, construction, business and everything else about the landscape industry in one program- learning a ton!

jiggz
04-23-2009, 10:59 AM
good work.. good luck this season.. Im in Jersey and was thinking abouttaking some classes hows the rutgers program been treating you?

JDavisLandscapes
04-25-2009, 11:51 PM
good work.. good luck this season.. Im in Jersey and was thinking abouttaking some classes hows the rutgers program been treating you?

Its good, I really like it. I've learned a ton. I would recommend it

JDavisLandscapes
04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I had a terrible day today. Seriously everything went wrong. I started the paver patio job in Wall Twp. which is pretty far from my house, about 45 minutes. The plan was to get down there about 7-730 and get rolling. Wound up having to run an fuel up, dump some fill dirt from another job and run to the bank so we didnt pull up to the house till about 8:45, showed my guy what to work on, locating irrigation pipes etc. Had 2 places that rented equipment in the area. They were both closed when i got there! I wound up having to drive 20 minutes to rent a bobcat. Got back to the job around 10:15. Took the fence down and got to work. There were irrigation lines(thankfully funny pipe) and drainage pvc pipe EVERYWHERE! The concrete was strong and about 5 inches thick.

I finished loading up the first truck load about 11:30 and drove to the recycle center to dump it. I went to go dump and I had a ton of large pieces in the back. Of course the big pieces get stuck and wedged between my tailgate. The guy had to yank it out with the big CAT excavator. Took about 20 minutes. On my way out I got on the scale, paid, and told the guy I'll see him in a little while because I had about 3-4 more loads to run. He proceeds to tell me that they are closing in 3 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to jump off a cliff. :dizzy: I tried the 1 other recycle center within a 20 minute or so radius and they were closing in an hour.

Now I had just rented a $380 bobcat for the day so i could load all this crap up without having to kill myself(patio is about 650 sq. ft.)

So to make the best of this lost cause of a day I still loaded my dump- up again and filled my trailer up, and dumped the rest of the concrete in the driveway. I also excavated most of the patio and dumped that in the driveway as well. It was the most I could make of having this machine I was paying all this money for. But now I have a ton of concrete on my trailer that I will have to unload by hand. Also about 2 more dump loads I will need to load by hand off the driveway. On top of that another 2 dump truck loads of fill dirt I removed. :dizzy: I would love to rent the machine one more day but then I will seriously be cutting this job close. It was already going to be a pretty tight job.

The whole day began at 6 AM and ended at 8 PM. I'm really starting to expect stuff like this and have kind of gotten used to it. The plan was to have the job finished on thursday when the homeowner gets back from his business trip. Now I'll be lucky to be done by next weekend!:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:dizzy:

JDavisLandscapes
04-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Here's some more pics

JDavisLandscapes
04-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Some more pics

JDavisLandscapes
04-26-2009, 12:24 AM
these are the ones I can't even look at. it makes me want to cry

tls22
04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
At least u salvage the day......Jim your going to have days like this is business........just remember it happens and you have to make the best of what u have. Cant wait to see the finish job

JDavisLandscapes
04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
At least u salvage the day......Jim your going to have days like this is business........just remember it happens and you have to make the best of what u have. Cant wait to see the finish job

Yea I know, no doubt about it. But I just needed to vent to people who would actually understand the situation. My girlfriend could really care less....lol

Yea I'm looking foward to the finished product as well. This is the job with the outdoor kitchen. I'm just not looking foward to tomorrow morning and all that concrete!

nnj18
04-26-2009, 06:07 PM
damn man that sux! on a job that scale shouldnt another $380 not really affect profit/loss to badly? also wouldnt it have been better to get a tri-axle for 1/2 day so that you could've focused more on working then dumping?

JDavisLandscapes
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
damn man that sux! on a job that scale shouldnt another $380 not really affect profit/loss to badly? also wouldnt it have been better to get a tri-axle for 1/2 day so that you could've focused more on working then dumping?

Yea I would still make decent money if I rented again, I'm really debating it. It would take a chunk out of my profit though. The recycle center is only about 4 miles from the job, so I figured instead of renting a tandem, it would be more cost effective to make runs with my mason dump. If was any larger or if the recycle center was a lot farther away, I would have definitly hired a larger dump truck for the day.

Oh well, I will update you guys on the situation tomorrow night....if I could still move that is....

JDavisLandscapes
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
here's some updated pictures. Had to work by myself today, both my guys couldn't work, had final exams all day. So I went down to the job and got rid of all the concrete and finished all excavation. Also ran 2 tons of crushed concrete back to the job to start setting the base first thing in the morning. Plate tamped most of the base and started figuring out how im going to re-do the drainage pipe work. All in all it was a pretty productive day considering I was alone. Pavers being delivered at 9 AM tomorrow and I'm hoping to have the base completely done and some sand screeded out and maybe even some pavers layed by the end of tomorrow. I will have some help tomorrow which will be nice.

JDavisLandscapes
04-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Here's just a few more

JDavisLandscapes
04-28-2009, 11:27 PM
some updated pics.

JDavisLandscapes
04-28-2009, 11:32 PM
I even had some time to wash my truck today....first time its been washed all season....

Petr51488
04-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Looks great! Quick question. Is there anything that i can put down/spray on pavers to keep that moss crap from growing in the cracks without staining it? An account of mine needs some cleaning up in the pavers in some spots. Anything you can recomend?

normower
04-29-2009, 04:13 PM
JDavis where do you get your hand tools from?

JDavisLandscapes
04-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Looks great! Quick question. Is there anything that i can put down/spray on pavers to keep that moss crap from growing in the cracks without staining it? An account of mine needs some cleaning up in the pavers in some spots. Anything you can recomend?

I'm assuming its on the north side of the house. I would make sure they have polymeric sand in between the paver joints, the kind that hardens when it gets wet. I guess a paver sealer would help as well, but I'm not to sure about that, haven't done much work with any sealers. If they don't have polymeric sand I would blow the old sand/dirt out of the cracks and sweep in the polymeric sand. Its inorganic so nothing grows in it.

JDavisLandscapes
04-29-2009, 08:23 PM
JDavis where do you get your hand tools from?

I get all my rakes and shovels and stuff from either lowes or home depot. Just make sure to buy the heavy duty kind. Personally I like Rigid tools, they last a while.

tls22
04-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Jim looks great.....the truck also looks nice all washed up:drinkup:

JDavisLandscapes
04-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Jim looks great.....the truck also looks nice all washed up:drinkup:

Thanks tim, of course it has to rain right after I wash it though...lol

Forgot to take updated pics of the job today guys......got a little less than half the pavers laid, ran the gas line and electrical lines. Hopefully will have the rest of the pavers laid tomorrow and then go friday and make all the cuts and lay the border in. Plan is to be done by saturday afternoon. I still need to re-do all the drain pipes under the walkway. I need to head over to home depot right now actually......

shild
04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Been looking at your work--nice job! It looks like you've used stone dust as a top layer on some and sand on others, is there a reason to choose one over the other?

etwman
04-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Its good to see the beginnings of a company. Let me make a few suggestions for you that will help you some.

1. Before you stone stuff in extend all the downspouts so that water won't have to drain accross all patio. That's one of the first things I look at on a new build.

2. Make sure you extend 6" past the edges of your pavers with stone or they will toe nail down after while.

3. Use a geo textile woven soil separation fabric between your subgrade and stone base. Its cheap, good insurance, and will save you in the long run. You can buy a 12' x 532' roll of it for $400.00.

4. When your pavers arrive, for a few more bucks have them bring a tailgator. They can go right around the back and position them close to the walk for you. They less you have to move material the more efficient you'll become. If you can lay right off a pallet that's money!

5. Be careful on overloading trucks and trailers. This is extremely easy to do in hardscaping. If something happens going down the road on an overloaded truck/trailer a good attorney will take you for everything. Begin to look into at least a F-550 or larger if you are going to do this on a routine basis. With larger jobs you can set up and tear down a job site so much faster.

6. When demoing a concrete walkway check into dumpsters. I've never been a big advocate in putting concrete in my trucks. It beats them to death. Often times you'll be surprised how inexpensively you can get a dumpster on site do get rid of concrete. If they don't charge you too much to leave it there you can get rid of all your paver scraps at the end as well.

7. Most importantly, make sure you charge what you need to in order to make money to build your company. Don't do it so cheap that you have nothing left at the end of the year. Know the costs to operate your company.

Efficiency is key in this line of work. Work smarter not harder. The less you have to move the same materials around the quicker your project will go. Often times I don't have pavers/block delivered until the day we lay them.

Good luck with your season.

JDavisLandscapes
04-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Been looking at your work--nice job! It looks like you've used stone dust as a top layer on some and sand on others, is there a reason to choose one over the other?

Yea the first few jobs were from a few years ago before I took my ICPI courses. They reccomended using mason or concrete sand because it drains better and doesn't hold water. Ever since I've used sand.

Thank you for the compliments

JDavisLandscapes
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=etwman;2962677]Its good to see the beginnings of a company. Let me make a few suggestions for you that will help you some.

1. Before you stone stuff in extend all the downspouts so that water won't have to drain accross all patio. That's one of the first things I look at on a new build.

2. Make sure you extend 6" past the edges of your pavers with stone or they will toe nail down after while.

3. Use a geo textile woven soil separation fabric between your subgrade and stone base. Its cheap, good insurance, and will save you in the long run. You can buy a 12' x 532' roll of it for $400.00.

4. When your pavers arrive, for a few more bucks have them bring a tailgator. They can go right around the back and position them close to the walk for you. They less you have to move material the more efficient you'll become. If you can lay right off a pallet that's money!

5. Be careful on overloading trucks and trailers. This is extremely easy to do in hardscaping. If something happens going down the road on an overloaded truck/trailer a good attorney will take you for everything. Begin to look into at least a F-550 or larger if you are going to do this on a routine basis. With larger jobs you can set up and tear down a job site so much faster.

6. When demoing a concrete walkway check into dumpsters. I've never been a big advocate in putting concrete in my trucks. It beats them to death. Often times you'll be surprised how inexpensively you can get a dumpster on site do get rid of concrete. If they don't charge you too much to leave it there you can get rid of all your paver scraps at the end as well.

7. Most importantly, make sure you charge what you need to in order to make money to build your company. Don't do it so cheap that you have nothing left at the end of the year. Know the costs to operate your company.

Efficiency is key in this line of work. Work smarter not harder. The less you have to move the same materials around the quicker your project will go. Often times I don't have pavers/block delivered until the day we lay them.

Good luck with your season.[QUOTE=etwman;2962677]

hat you very much for your input etwman, I've looked at your thread quite a bit. almost looking to go in the same exact direction as your business, but it seems like our businesses had a little bit different beginings(yours seems to originally be lawn maintenance, I started with hardscape landscape, picking up maintenance as it comes)

1. We are re-routing the drain on the side of that house under the sunroom and out around the side of the house. I should have done it already you are right but lucked out with no rain. Planning on doing it tomorrow.

2. Over-extending the bases is one thing I always do. Usually I go even a little more to give me some room to play around with the curve to make it exactly the way I want it.

3. I have honestly been slacking in this dept. this year. I will always use it in clay soils and driveways and aprons, but haven't been using it much on walkways or even the patio I am doing now.....I completely agree with you though, keeps the base seperate and no migration. Plus the bi-woven ones add strength to it as well.

4. Again I completely agree. The forklift on the guys truck missed fitting through the backyard by about 8 inches or so. This is something I have also been trying to get better at doing.

5. Yes I need to watch it. I never load my trailer up, I just didnt want to mess up the guys driveway. I loaded into the dump the next day, never even moved the trailer like that. But I do need to watch the dump, I'm gunna run her to the ground quick! and being 21 and just finishing school I dont have the cash to get another one or to get it fixed YET.

6. Another good point. I am friends with a guy who owns a big dumpster company by me, I use him to get rid of old wood and railroad ties, etc.

7. Of course. I'll be honest, there are some jobs when I short change myself, but not by intend. usually because of unforseen problems/delays or miss estimating labor somewhat. I am usually pretty spot on though. I have even been using a pecentage time based depreciation method on all my trucks and large equipment which is working nicely. plus I usually add on a fudge factor at the end to help out any screw ups.

thank you very much for you input. I look foward to talking with you and getting more valuable advice.

JDavisLandscapes
04-30-2009, 10:37 PM
here's some new pics from the job....we are getting there. Ran the new pvc drain pipes today too. they run all the way to the front of the house and out to the street. They are located in the corner of the lowest spot of the patio. you can also the the gas and electric lines sticking out ready for the outdoor kitchen.

JDavisLandscapes
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
just a couple more

Rcgm
04-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I have done my fair share of pavers in my 16 years of business. I have seen some very bad jobs and some good ones. I will give it to you GREAT work. You guys truly do some nice jobs.I would say you got the nack.Keep it up hope you have a great year:)

Brad

JDavisLandscapes
04-30-2009, 11:32 PM
I have done my fair share of pavers in my 16 years of business. I have seen some very bad jobs and some good ones. I will give it to you GREAT work. You guys truly do some nice jobs.I would say you got the nack.Keep it up hope you have a great year:)

Brad

Thank you very much Rcgm. I really try to do the best I possibly can on every job. I'm not just trying to get in and out to get a quick pay day. I would much rather spend an extra day or 2 and make it last forever and look beautiful. That is what gives your company a good reputation and lands you more and more work. Not to mention larger and larger work as well :cool2:

tls22
05-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Its good to see the beginnings of a company. Let me make a few suggestions for you that will help you some.

Good luck with your season.

Wow this guy def knows what he is talking about.....nice write-up......very informative.....Nice pics Jim...you do very good work

JDavisLandscapes
05-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Thank you tim......Thumbs Up

Should be back in the area next week, we'll have to meet up for some lunch somewhere.......I'm doing a patio right off of llyod road by the school and the old swim club toward the end of the week. and I'll be in Fair Haven by Red Bank Regional in the begining of the week.

Yes ewtman knows a lot. I'm lucky to be getting such good advice.

Took a few more pics from today, have to get my camera out of my truck first....will post em later guys

S&MLL
05-03-2009, 05:23 AM
Looking good or getting there at least.

1. Hopefully you are abiding by all rules and regulations in the great state of nj.

2. Always double check your rise on steps. Some of your pictures look against code.

3. Do you ever get zoning permits?

4. Did you bring an ec and plumber in? Hopefully that uhf is in conduit.

5. On any job of that size you should have more then an extra $380.00 in the budget.

6. Just as said before that mason dump looks WAY overloaded. Concrete is very very heavy.

7. $380.00 a day is pretty expensive for a s175. I can bring to you an s250 and operator for the day for $400.00

8. If you had a little bit bigger of a machine use forks. They pick up slabs very nice. Saves a lot of time/labor.

9. I know everyone needs work but that is no reason to work for free. I don’t know your exact figures but HOPEFULLY that 20grand does not include any appliances for the kitchen. Otherwise you might be working for free.

10. An electric jackhammer can do 5 inch concrete slabs pretty nice….. Sure beats a sledge hammer.

11. Hopefully any landscape lighting you do is subbed out. NJ is pretty strict. And the electrician unions down there will turn you in. What brand of under cap lights do you use? Please stay away from the big box store junk. Landscape Lighting is an art that very few in this area can even begin to understand. It takes a lot more then classes at Rutgers to install and maintain professional grade outdoor lighting.

12. Also I see you have posted addresses on here of your clients. Hey your not the only one, but I would stay away from that. I would never hire you again if you posted my address on the internet.

13. I like your Task Force trowels hahaha I have those too.

14. Keep up the good work and do not by any means sell yourself short. Feel free to pm me with any questions you might have. I would hate to see your company shutdown due to not complying with the codes around here. Zoning is tough and building permits will leave you headaches for days.

15. I’m in Homdel a few times a year for concerts. Maybe I will see you there.

JDavisLandscapes
05-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Looking good or getting there at least.

1. Hopefully you are abiding by all rules and regulations in the great state of nj.

2. Always double check your rise on steps. Some of your pictures look against code.

3. Do you ever get zoning permits?

4. Did you bring an ec and plumber in? Hopefully that uhf is in conduit.

5. On any job of that size you should have more then an extra $380.00 in the budget.

6. Just as said before that mason dump looks WAY overloaded. Concrete is very very heavy.

7. $380.00 a day is pretty expensive for a s175. I can bring to you an s250 and operator for the day for $400.00

8. If you had a little bit bigger of a machine use forks. They pick up slabs very nice. Saves a lot of time/labor.

9. I know everyone needs work but that is no reason to work for free. I donít know your exact figures but HOPEFULLY that 20grand does not include any appliances for the kitchen. Otherwise you might be working for free.

10. An electric jackhammer can do 5 inch concrete slabs pretty niceÖ.. Sure beats a sledge hammer.

11. Hopefully any landscape lighting you do is subbed out. NJ is pretty strict. And the electrician unions down there will turn you in. What brand of under cap lights do you use? Please stay away from the big box store junk. Landscape Lighting is an art that very few in this area can even begin to understand. It takes a lot more then classes at Rutgers to install and maintain professional grade outdoor lighting.

12. Also I see you have posted addresses on here of your clients. Hey your not the only one, but I would stay away from that. I would never hire you again if you posted my address on the internet.

13. I like your Task Force trowels hahaha I have those too.

14. Keep up the good work and do not by any means sell yourself short. Feel free to pm me with any questions you might have. I would hate to see your company shutdown due to not complying with the codes around here. Zoning is tough and building permits will leave you headaches for days.

15. Iím in Homdel a few times a year for concerts. Maybe I will see you there.

Hey S&M, thanks for the reply. to answer a few of your questions:

1.) Yes. I always try to abid by every rule and regulation in NJ that I have knowledge of.

2.) Against code? Do you mean not being the same height? Other than that I am not aware of any other codes in referance to risers

3.) Yes, on almost everyone of my jobs, whether large or small, we get permits.

4.) Yes, the homeowners electrician ran the 10-2 wire and my plumber ran the gas line. Both are incased in 2.5" schedule 40 piping. You can actually see the top of the 90 degree elbow in the picture. Plus all fittings were primed and glued

5.) Yes, it would still have been a managable job but I decided against renting again.

6.)Yea it was pretty full, I try not to run it that heavy but I was just trying to get as much concrete in their while I had the bobcat on the job. less concrete on the guys driveway too. Trust me, ask my back, it know how heavy concrete is....lol

7.) Yes, I agree. I was pretty upset on the price but I was really out of options. 2 other rental companies in the area were closed.

8.) Yea I picked up most of those slabs with the bucket. I worked for an asphalt paving company for a while when I was younger and have gotten to be a pro at lifting slabs with just a bucket.

9.) 20 grand? I'm not sure what your taking about here. But the whole set-up was purchased by the homeowner. appliances and all.

10.) Yes it sure does. I'm planning on getting one as soon as my wallet allows me too.....until then I get a free workout without paying for a gym membership :laugh:.....gotta look on the bright side.

11.) I use cast lighting products. I have also used intrical lighting products. I really enjoy adding landscape lighting to any of my landscape/hardscape designs. It really puts it over the top. Trust me I have taken my fair share of landscape lighting classes. I'm not the solar runway lighting type of guy your thinking of. I'm a big fan of silhoutting, shadowing, down-lighting, and even reflection lighting. I'll have to get some pictures of a lighting job I did on my old bosses house. Came out beutiful. The one side of his house is pretty bare, so we shadowed the Amelanchier Arborea onto the siding and broke up the hard horizontal lines. It really adds so much character to the house. I also lit up the landscape in his backyard behind the pool and you can see the reflection in the pool.

12.) yes you are absolutely right.....wasn't thinking :hammerhead:

13.) Haha those things are bad a$$. I always seem to lose it like 15 times a day though....I think I need to get a few more

14. Thank you I am really trying to keep everything running as smoothly as possible while turning in a nice profit. Paying off all my equipment now so I could cut my overhead in half by next season. This will allow me to purchase some sort of machine, either a mini skid or regular skid. Most jobs I will be the highest bidder or close to it. When meeting with a client I go over EVERYTHING and throw out design ideas and other things I know other contractors aren't thinking. I want to show the homeowner I know what I'm doing and I have gone to school for this. I want them to know they are i good hands with me. plus a lot of my jobs are references or referrals so I already have my foot in the door.

I've been so busy lately I'll be lucky if I catch a concert at PNC this year. If I do i'll drop you a line and see if your going too.

Thanks for all of your input and I'll be sure to PM you if any questions may arrise.

JDavisLandscapes
05-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Just a few updated pictures. The rain is killing me. On more long day left of cutting and putting in the edging and the poly sand. Can't do any of this until it stops raining.....The outdoor kitchen is being delivered at 10 AM monday morning. Hopefully it doesnt rain monday so we could finish and move on to the next job.

JDavisLandscapes
05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
just 2 more..

S&MLL
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Thank you for answering all my questions. I will have to check the national building code but unless grandfathered in the max for a step rise is 8 inches. I will have to double check on that for you though. That 8 is from the sill plate to the surface of your tred.

etwman
05-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Overlay your pavers out to the edge of the sand on one side, start with the outside. Mark your radius with some whips. It'll take a couple of you to do this. If you don't have whips go to a sporting good store, buy a $50 tent, and take all the whips from it.

Score the entire radius with a chop saw DRY with a 12" blade. Then go back and cut the pavers in place with a chop saw, wet if you want. This will take some practice to get good at it, especially the inside radius. I'd overlay the outside first and cut that first. Take those scraps and move them to the inside and do it again, using as many of those scraps up as you can. Drop your border in and your set. This whole process should take no more than 2 hours. My guys call it that money cut. A 14" blade on an inside radius will be a handful, go with a 12". The only time you'll need 14's is for block.

This is a hot topic on this forum but this is my opinion and its worked well for us. A wise friend of mine told me 6 years ago don't ever take the paver to the saw, always take the saw to the paver. It will make you very efficient once your good at it.

JDavisLandscapes
05-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Thank you for answering all my questions. I will have to check the national building code but unless grandfathered in the max for a step rise is 8 inches. I will have to double check on that for you though. That 8 is from the sill plate to the surface of your tred.

Ahhh. I never knew that. Thank you for the info, I will have to be more careful.

Good luck this season and hopefully this rain stops sometime soon!

JDavisLandscapes
05-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Overlay your pavers out to the edge of the sand on one side, start with the outside. Mark your radius with some whips. It'll take a couple of you to do this. If you don't have whips go to a sporting good store, buy a $50 tent, and take all the whips from it.

Score the entire radius with a chop saw DRY with a 12" blade. Then go back and cut the pavers in place with a chop saw, wet if you want. This will take some practice to get good at it, especially the inside radius. I'd overlay the outside first and cut that first. Take those scraps and move them to the inside and do it again, using as many of those scraps up as you can. Drop your border in and your set. This whole process should take no more than 2 hours. My guys call it that money cut. A 14" blade on an inside radius will be a handful, go with a 12". The only time you'll need 14's is for block.

This is a hot topic on this forum but this is my opinion and its worked well for us. A wise friend of mine told me 6 years ago don't ever take the paver to the saw, always take the saw to the paver. It will make you very efficient once your good at it.

I actually just bought the whips. planning on using them on this job for the first time. Thank you for the info, this is honestly the one phase of the job I do need to speed up. and my stihl saw has a 12" blade so I guess that will help. As soon as the rain stops I will be sure to let everybody know how it turns out.

Petr51488
05-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Looks great. Its suppose to rain almost all week!

nnj18
05-03-2009, 08:40 PM

really? im screwed....shyt....work looks really good!!

JDavisLandscapes
05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
really? im screwed....shyt....work looks really good!!

Thank you Jared!

Yea if its seriously gunna rain all week I'm going to be WAYYYYYYYY behind.

Right now im only WAYYY behind...lol

JDavisLandscapes
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM

Thanks Petr.....yea this rain really sucks

nnj18
05-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Thank you Jared!

Yea if its seriously gunna rain all week I'm going to be WAYYYYYYYY behind.

Right now im only WAYYY behind...lol

yeah man np and I'm totaly with you I have 50yds of mulch to do, two spring cleanups plus mow all my lawns haha

CrystalCreek
05-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Fellas, let me not remind you all that this rain is a blessing as a drought would SUCK!!!! I will take some rain over dry conditions any day. Your work looks great and maybe the sun will shine over your job for a few days. I will continue to enjoy that cloud that follows me:laugh: Keep the good work coming.

JDavisLandscapes
05-03-2009, 11:42 PM
yeah man np and I'm totaly with you I have 50yds of mulch to do, two spring cleanups plus mow all my lawns haha

Yea man good luck. Make sure to do the mulch and clean-ups when its raining. Save the maintenance for the little bit of sunshine were going to have this week.

I have to finish the patio I have pictured and finish a small retaining wall. I also have to do a paver landing and apron on a driveway this week because the asphalt paving company wants to do the job this week sometime. Then start a 900 sq. ft patio by next monday...I really hope this rain holds out somewhat.

JDavisLandscapes
05-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Fellas, let me not remind you all that this rain is a blessing as a drought would SUCK!!!! I will take some rain over dry conditions any day. Your work looks great and maybe the sun will shine over your job for a few days. I will continue to enjoy that cloud that follows me:laugh: Keep the good work coming.

haha yea keep the rain with you man. I need some sun!

Petr51488
05-04-2009, 02:01 AM

Farmers almanac says wet season this year. Once a week rain is perfect. Last year i know it rained alot at night which kept things green for a while. Sunny during the day, rain at night=nice lawns lol

S&MLL
05-04-2009, 02:50 AM
Hey jersey guys whats up with the very long signatures? Pete I dont remember your signature on plowsite being a mile long

JDavisLandscapes
05-05-2009, 10:40 AM
a few pics of the outdoor kitchen setup. none of the appliances are hooked up yet.

Petr51488
05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey jersey guys whats up with the very long signatures? Pete I dont remember your signature on plowsite being a mile long

haha that because i only have my snow stuff on there. On this site all the lawn related stuff is up.

JDavisLandscapes
05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Here's a few more pics of the patio. Its basically done just need to go back and make some repairations. I am also doing a new planting along the house with endless summer hydrangea's etc. Probably wont get to put the plants in until next week because I have to get going on my next job(paver apron that needs to be coordinated with the paving company).

I dont like the soldier course on the 3 foot wide walkway. It is half the size of the walkway between both borders. I had explained this to the customer before hand and told him we should make the walkway 4 foot but he wouldnt change his mind. So 3 foot it was. Made it look as good as I possibly could. I didnt want to go with a sailor course b/c it wouldnt pop enough on the larger part of the patio, but would have made the walkway look way better.

JDavisLandscapes
05-10-2009, 10:32 PM
A few more and a before picture

A-Land
05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I agree on the soldier course, but your work looks great Jim. Was wondering when you would be getting back to us!

Keep up the good work!

JDavisLandscapes
05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
I agree on the soldier course, but your work looks great Jim. Was wondering when you would be getting back to us!

Keep up the good work!

Thank you Boston! Sorry it took me so long to get the pics up....been running around a lot.

JDavisLandscapes
05-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Here's a few pics of the current project. Doing a paver apron after they overlay the asphalt driveway. I will have some pics of the patio (from the previous pics) up soon after we do the landscaping around it. We actually finished the paver landing by the deck in the photos but i forgot to take the finished pics.

JDavisLandscapes
05-14-2009, 11:46 PM
here's a couple more plus another small walkway we are doing. Only like 50 sq. feet......lol

JDavisLandscapes
05-21-2009, 12:34 AM
here's a few pics of the job in wall landscaped. We put curbing in along the patio with 6x9 pavers on the side.

Been too busy to update my other jobs and take a lot of pics. We worked 43 hours so far this week and we are only 3 days in! 15 hours monday 15 hours tuesday and 13 hours today......CRAZY!

JDavisLandscapes
05-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Here's our current project. 1000 sq. foot patio. VERY tight access. Rented a dingo. the thing broke twice, slowed things down a lot. It cleared the fence opening by 2 inches. Should start laying the pavers tomorrow. We finished the stone base today, didnt take any pics. Will try to get some tomorrow.

JDavisLandscapes
05-21-2009, 12:43 AM
just a couple more

JDavisLandscapes
05-21-2009, 12:48 AM
more......

scagtiger
05-21-2009, 12:52 AM
work looks top notch!

A-Land
05-21-2009, 12:53 AM
What did you guys excavate the soil with?

JDavisLandscapes
05-21-2009, 01:01 AM
work looks top notch!

Thank you.

JDavisLandscapes
05-21-2009, 01:04 AM
What did you guys excavate the soil with?

We took it all out with the dingo. It was the only thing that fit. Took out 6 trucks of dirt. FULL trucks. Dumped 2 loads of stone in the driveway and backed the dump up to it and made a ramp out of the pile for the dingo so it would reach to dump straight into the truck.

greatinmulchbeds
05-21-2009, 10:29 PM
hey your work looks great...your getting some nice jobs, once your pavers are in and your ready to compact them what do you put over the pavers so the plate tamper wont ding them all up?

JDavisLandscapes
06-02-2009, 07:38 PM
hey your work looks great...your getting some nice jobs, once your pavers are in and your ready to compact them what do you put over the pavers so the plate tamper wont ding them all up?

I use cardboard flats.....broken down large cardboard boxes. I worked at shoprite at nights in high school so i just stop in there and pick up as many as i need.

JDavisLandscapes
06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Some updated pics of the jobs were doing.

JDavisLandscapes
06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
New project we are doing

nnj18
06-02-2009, 08:32 PM
work looks good, question though...since you just do installs why do you have a light duty trailer? Why not get like 12,000lb skid steer trailer? I see them on craigslist all the time for around $3kish and it'd last a lot longer for you.

JDavisLandscapes
06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
work looks good, question though...since you just do installs why do you have a light duty trailer? Why not get like 12,000lb skid steer trailer? I see them on craigslist all the time for around $3kish and it'd last a lot longer for you.

Thank you for the compliments

Yea I agree with you. I got the trailer I have now for 300 bucks from my friends dad so I couldnt pass that deal up. I actually get a ton of use out of it, plus I use it to pull my mowers around when I send my guys out on maintenance days. It holds 3 pallets of pavers too, although thats REALLY pushing it.....lol.

The plan of action now is to pay off all my equipment and trucks by the end of this year and purchase a large dump trailer and a skid steer for next season. I will also be buying an enclosed trailer to serve as my portable shed for all tools which I will be able to leave on the job-site. It will also double as a huge billboard. I am planning on getting this in the fall if everything goes right.

Trucks should be lettered soon, and i just ordered 35 shirts which should be here sometime this week.

nnj18
06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
yeah can't pass up that for $300! and I thought you did strictly install work. I just bought 20 new shirts and handed out 11 already haha

JDavisLandscapes
06-02-2009, 09:09 PM
yeah can't pass up that for $300! and I thought you did strictly install work. I just bought 20 new shirts and handed out 11 already haha

lol....ain't that a b*tch!

For the most part I do installs but I do cut 15 lawns a week. My original plan was to do them on the weekends by myself but I have gotten so busy that I showed one of my guys the route and send him with one other guy every friday to cut them, so I could focus on finishing these patios and whatnot. Its working out well though. I just add a lawn here and there when the oportunity arrises, I don't go out looking for accounts.

Hows the season treating you so far. the weather was weird today down by me it was a t-storm one minute and 85 and sunny the next....lol

nnj18
06-02-2009, 09:32 PM
lol....ain't that a b*tch!

For the most part I do installs but I do cut 15 lawns a week. My original plan was to do them on the weekends by myself but I have gotten so busy that I showed one of my guys the route and send him with one other guy every friday to cut them, so I could focus on finishing these patios and whatnot. Its working out well though. I just add a lawn here and there when the oportunity arrises, I don't go out looking for accounts.

Hows the season treating you so far. the weather was weird today down by me it was a t-storm one minute and 85 and sunny the next....lol

hahaha atleast people are wearing them though, people tell me all the time how they saw someone wearing one of my shirts...I dont give them out to anyone though, friends and family.

Oh gotcha that makes sense.....ehhh this year has been pretty slow, I have like 45 maintenance accounts that I do thursday/fridays.....other then that theres not much going on here, monday-wensdays I do hedge trimming/mulching and maintenance on the equipment. Lots of people holding off here or price shopping.

Today was a good day though, changed all the filters on the truck and mowers and signed 3 new maintenance accounts and a 10yd mulch job.

JDavisLandscapes
06-02-2009, 11:31 PM
hahaha atleast people are wearing them though, people tell me all the time how they saw someone wearing one of my shirts...I dont give them out to anyone though, friends and family.

Oh gotcha that makes sense.....ehhh this year has been pretty slow, I have like 45 maintenance accounts that I do thursday/fridays.....other then that theres not much going on here, monday-wensdays I do hedge trimming/mulching and maintenance on the equipment. Lots of people holding off here or price shopping.

Today was a good day though, changed all the filters on the truck and mowers and signed 3 new maintenance accounts and a 10yd mulch job.

Yea same here, planning on giving them out to friends and family.... 45 accounts is nice though, steady cash flow. I'm sure the other work will pick back up as well. Well, good luck with the rest of your season and hopefully it stops raining half the week every week, I'm getting sick of it. Then its nice all weekend so I get stuck working saturday and sunday......lol

nnj18
06-03-2009, 02:57 AM
Yeah I know the rain is a killer.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDavisLandscapes
06-04-2009, 05:53 PM
The rain has given me time to upload some more pics that I haven't followed up with the finished pictures of.

This first one is the one I also did the walkway in pavers a few picutres back.

JDavisLandscapes
06-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Here's another one we are still doing the apron on as well. We demoed the asphalt at the bottom and dug it out yesterday, pavers should be in during the next few days. The back side of the driveway I have the finished pics of. Pavers were wet and dirty. I didnt have time to clean them off for the pics. I will when I get time.

JDavisLandscapes
06-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Here is one of the apron before we ripped it out. Never took a pic after the demo.

JDavisLandscapes
06-09-2009, 09:05 AM
A few updated pics of one of our jobs

JDavisLandscapes
06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
great job!! good looking solid timber...great

Thank you Darth!

flairland
06-09-2009, 11:33 PM
All your work looks awesome! Looks like the beginnings of a successful hardscape company. Quick question, what do you use to level your base, and set your screed bars? String line, laser level, or?

nnj18
06-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Looking good man!
Posted via Mobile Device

slamjamrockinman
06-10-2009, 02:25 AM
I have to admit, your work is top notch! I would think you have been doing pavers for years by looking at your work. Nice job man, keep it up!

JDavisLandscapes
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
All your work looks awesome! Looks like the beginnings of a successful hardscape company. Quick question, what do you use to level your base, and set your screed bars? String line, laser level, or?

Thank you for the compliments.

I use both a string line with a line level on it and a laser level. On the small jobs usually just a line level is sufficient. On the large area jobs a laser level really comes in handy.

JDavisLandscapes
06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Looking good man!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you. I finished that job and another one today but I forgot my camera. I will take pics when I go back to pick up the check.

JDavisLandscapes
06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
I have to admit, your work is top notch! I would think you have been doing pavers for years by looking at your work. Nice job man, keep it up!

Thanks! Hope everything is going well for you this season and best of luck the rest of the way!

JDavisLandscapes
06-10-2009, 07:33 PM
My shirts came in yesterday. I'll have to take a pic and post them when i get a chance.

JDavisLandscapes
06-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Here are the shirts. The pics aren't great, but you get the idea. Just something to make me and my guys look more proffessional on the job-site. I am DEFINITLY going to make the phone # larger next time. I realize to late and they were already printed. But overall I'm happy.

You could also see my drawing board in the background. There is a 25k project in the works under that shirt....lol

JDavisLandscapes
06-12-2009, 12:02 AM
a couple quick pics of the finished paver job. It was raining and the lady there is really annoying so I just snapped a pic or 2 and left before she saw me to talk my ear off. I'll get some better ones once the driveway gets paved.

nnj18
06-12-2009, 12:04 AM
White shirts are a very bad idea man hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

JDavisLandscapes
06-12-2009, 12:14 AM
White shirts are a very bad idea man hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea I know I figured that. My next batch is gunna be tan and black. I'm gunna get some collared shirts for my estimates etc. and some sweat shirts too.

nnj18
06-12-2009, 01:50 AM
I use green with white lettering...hides dirt well and stands out.

Personally I'd ax the services list and just put like "A landscape construction co" or "hardscape and landscape design"

Ppl don't have time to read it all + its kinda small
Posted via Mobile Device

JDavisLandscapes
06-16-2009, 10:06 PM
I use green with white lettering...hides dirt well and stands out.

Personally I'd ax the services list and just put like "A landscape construction co" or "hardscape and landscape design"

Ppl don't have time to read it all + its kinda small
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea I'm gunna have to change it up next time. It was just something quick to have some shirts. A lot of them are for family friends that wont be getting very dirty.

JDavisLandscapes
06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Here is the finished apron. I know the pics aren't great when wet. I will have to get some more pics when I go back for the check.

JDavisLandscapes
06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
just a few more

AdvancedLawns
06-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Nice Work!

etwman
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Just a side note. Be careful with wetting your poly sands. You can oversoak them real quick and dilute your polymers, thus producing weeds and washouts in the next year. We use a 3 gallon backpack sprayer, mist it once with water, wait 10 minutes and do it again. Do this four times. The pavers barely need to be damp. The sands will set up perfectly. Once you wash the polymers out the sand has to come out and it needs to be done again.

In addition, there are some bad poly sands out there. Techna seal makes one of the better ones, that's all we use. I never understand guys going cheap with poly sands, you're talking a difference of $10 a bag. What's it going to cost is well worth the cheap insurance. RG on the patios, HP on driveways and big gap pavers.

Looks good otherwise.

PlatinumLandCon
06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Just a side note. Be careful with wetting your poly sands. You can oversoak them real quick and dilute your polymers, thus producing weeds and washouts in the next year. We use a 3 gallon backpack sprayer, mist it once with water, wait 10 minutes and do it again. Do this four times. The pavers barely need to be damp. The sands will set up perfectly. Once you wash the polymers out the sand has to come out and it needs to be done again.

In addition, there are some bad poly sands out there. Techna seal makes one of the better ones, that's all we use. I never understand guys going cheap with poly sands, you're talking a difference of $10 a bag. What's it going to cost is well worth the cheap insurance. RG on the patios, HP on driveways and big gap pavers.

Looks good otherwise.

Absolutely correct, I noticed the foam on the road first thing. You gotta be real careful man, really take your time wetting poly sands because its easy to butcher it. Otherwise curves and cust look good.

JDavisLandscapes
06-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Looks good otherwise.

Yes you guys are both absolutely correct. There was some concrete dust on top of the new blacktop driveway and I had to clean it off. I wasnt happy because in turn some of the water ran onto the apron which we had just misted down. Not very smart :hammerhead: but if I did it before the poly sand the pavers would have gotten wet and I wouldnt have been able to do the sand at all. There wasnt a ton of water on it, but certainly enough to cause some foaming.

Live and learn

JDavisLandscapes
06-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Absolutely correct, I noticed the foam on the road first thing. You gotta be real careful man, really take your time wetting poly sands because its easy to butcher it. Otherwise curves and cust look good.

Thank you platinum.

Yea next time I will have to be more careful with the H20.

JDavisLandscapes
06-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Here are a few pictures of a project we will be starting in about a month or so. We are putting in 400 ft. of PVC fencing, Irrigation system, Sod, New landscape Design, Paver Walkway, Runng 10-2 wire for lighting system next year. 6-7 Quercus Rubra's will be taken down by a tree company and I am contracting out the driveway to get redone.

Here are some of the before pictures of the property.

JDavisLandscapes
06-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Here is the first draft of the new design I came up with. It is not the final copy by any means.

etwman
06-20-2009, 05:23 PM
This of course is totally personal preference but I think I would serpentine that walkway a little more, flair it out at the end closest to the driveway and where it comes into the house. It'll soften it up more. Place a bed on the other side of the walkway (closest to the driveway). Put a Red Bud or Milky Way in there with some uplighting. Run a string of Lirope up the side of the walkway so you could put some pathlights in there. Just my two cents, there are 100 ways to do this. Looks good though.

S&MLL
06-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Who does your lighting work J?

Petr51488
06-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Looks great, but why in the world would someone want just the end of their driveway paved like that? I think it looks hideous. Not your work, but just asphalt and pavers like that..

I have a customer who has a pretty large paver driveway and weeds/moss are growing in them. Will roundup do the trick? or will it ruin the pavers? Any ideas on how to stop it? All this rain we have been getting isnt helping either.

Petr51488
06-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Also, does the polymeric sand need to be applied every 10 years or so? or is it a 1 time deal? What can i suggest that they do?

orlawncaresvc
06-20-2009, 10:56 PM
hey jdavis, you do awesome paver work. i really like it. we don't do much hardscaping. one so far, but i would like to ask you a question if you don't mind? on some of your paver work i notice you lay out something to make it look shiny of glossy. is that some type of clear? i would really like to know what it is and would i be able to lay it out on my existing paver job? thank a lot.

Dunlaps LawnCare
06-23-2009, 11:08 AM
verry nice work

JDavisLandscapes
06-24-2009, 12:05 PM
This of course is totally personal preference but I think I would serpentine that walkway a little more, flair it out at the end closest to the driveway and where it comes into the house. It'll soften it up more. Place a bed on the other side of the walkway (closest to the driveway). Put a Red Bud or Milky Way in there with some uplighting. Run a string of Lirope up the side of the walkway so you could put some pathlights in there. Just my two cents, there are 100 ways to do this. Looks good though.

Thank you for your input etw. I will definitly take it into consideration and I am surely going to flare the walkway out a little bit more. I just don't want to over do it with plant material because it isnt a huge property by any means. I might put something like red bud on the opposite side of the walkway to prevent people from walking on the grass and create some enclosure and defined space near the end of the walkway.

JDavisLandscapes
06-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Who does your lighting work J?

We do most of the lighting work. It is all low voltage. But I do know an electrician that I could contact if need be.

JDavisLandscapes
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Looks great, but why in the world would someone want just the end of their driveway paved like that? I think it looks hideous. Not your work, but just asphalt and pavers like that..

I have a customer who has a pretty large paver driveway and weeds/moss are growing in them. Will roundup do the trick? or will it ruin the pavers? Any ideas on how to stop it? All this rain we have been getting isnt helping either.

I agree. Its popular by me because people have these HUGE driveways that would be 30k + to do in all pavers. So they go with a 2k apron instead and blacktop the rest. not my taste though, but if thats what they want, thats what they'll get....lol

JDavisLandscapes
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Also, does the polymeric sand need to be applied every 10 years or so? or is it a 1 time deal? What can i suggest that they do?

I would suggest powerwashing the sand out of the joints and redoing it with polymeric sand. If done correctly it would solve their problem plus help create a stronger interlock.

JDavisLandscapes
06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
hey jdavis, you do awesome paver work. i really like it. we don't do much hardscaping. one so far, but i would like to ask you a question if you don't mind? on some of your paver work i notice you lay out something to make it look shiny of glossy. is that some type of clear? i would really like to know what it is and would i be able to lay it out on my existing paver job? thank a lot.

Thank you for the kind words. What you see in the pictures is just water I used to wet the pavers to activate the polymeric sand.

There are sealers that will give the pavers a wet look all the time. They are not cheap but do look nice if thats the look you are going for. You could do it on any paver job if it has had a few months for the pavers to cure.

JDavisLandscapes
06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
verry nice work

Thank you Dunlap

JDavisLandscapes
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Here's a wall we took down yesterday. We are doing more work in the yard, possibly even a patio.

JDavisLandscapes
06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
After pics. Its not finished though. we are installing shrubs and cleaning up some more. Just got rid of the concrete so far.

JDavisLandscapes
07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Have some finished pics of the large patio I did a little while back. We put in sod and stone around the patio to complete it.

Here is one before picture

JDavisLandscapes
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Here is a landscape design and install we did the other day. 68 plants total. Thats including all emerald green arborvitaes along the right side of the driveway as well.

JDavisLandscapes
07-07-2009, 03:35 PM
more before pics

JDavisLandscapes
07-07-2009, 03:39 PM

JDavisLandscapes
07-07-2009, 03:44 PM
more......

JDavisLandscapes
07-07-2009, 03:47 PM
last ones.

JDavisLandscapes
07-07-2009, 03:49 PM
We'll be starting a raised patio in the next few days. I will post before pictures when I have a chance. I also bought a new plate compactor. I'm waiting for it to be delivered. It goes in foward and reverse and compacts with 7000 pounds of centrifical force.

JDavisLandscapes
07-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Here's my new plate compactor. Just came in this morning. Can't wait to use it tomorrow.

JDavisLandscapes
07-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Here is our next job

JDavisLandscapes
07-14-2009, 11:27 PM
couple more from 2day

Junior M
07-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Who's skid and equipment trailer?

A-Land
07-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Jim what did you pay for the mason dump and how many miles? Looks like it's in damn good shape!

rusty_keg_3
07-15-2009, 02:49 AM
Nice work, good luck, keep the pics commin.

rusty_keg_3
07-15-2009, 02:52 AM
Wow, i looked at more of your work, you make some sweet stuff....

growinggreen
07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
you do great work...keep it up

JDavisLandscapes
07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Who's skid and equipment trailer?

Its the paving company I am affiliated with skid and trailer. I rent it out from him for the day for a good price plus I learned how to drive a skid on that machine about 10 years ago. So to say I could handle it well is an understatement. It also has a clam bucket, which is nice. I might buy it off of him since he has a new one that he runs instead.

JDavisLandscapes
07-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Jim what did you pay for the mason dump and how many miles? Looks like it's in damn good shape!

it has 125,000 miles on it. I bought it with 122,000 for $5,500. It has been the best thing I've bought so far. I love it. Can't wait till I get a second to paint it and letter it up. For now its making me money plus I use it 6 days a week so no time or need for it now.

JDavisLandscapes
07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Wow, i looked at more of your work, you make some sweet stuff....

Thank you very much rusty.....thanks for taking the time to look at my pics man.

JDavisLandscapes
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
you do great work...keep it up

Thanks growing green.

good luck the rest of the season!

A-Land
07-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Hows the big job going Jim?

JDavisLandscapes
07-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Hows the big job going Jim?

Hey A-Land,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you guys. I keep forgetting my camera. We are done with the retaining wall(other than the caps) and will be putting in the patio on monday. I took today off because its my girlfriends birthday and were having a family and friend barbeque at her house today.

Other than that I've been tyed up on this stupid little fix-up that we are doing on a paver driveway. I sent 2 of my guys over there with the powerwasher to clean it up and blow the weeds out of the joints etc. They wound up putting the high pressure nossle on and making swirls throughout this guys driveway. Then they also went to clean off the garage door with the nozzle and blew a small hole into his garage door! Long and short, the door was old, but I gave him money to help replace it and had to spend a whole day repowerwashing the driveway to get the swirls out....So I wound up losing about $300 bucks on the job, but the guy is really nice and he is a mailman, so I know I will get some work from him through referals.

I promise I'll get you guys some pics up ASAP. The job is around the block from my girlfriends house so maybe I'll stop there on my way and get some updated pics. Time to get both trucks oil changes and organize my pile of recepits I have sitting here.....lol

We are also starting anothe paver job right after this one. Its not very big, 300 sq. ft, but it should loork pretty cool when its all said and done.

A-Land
07-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Jim you seem to have plenty of work lined up! Everything referrals at this point? You've been going pretty steady the entire year.

JDavisLandscapes
07-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Jim you seem to have plenty of work lined up! Everything referrals at this point? You've been going pretty steady the entire year.

Yea, for the most part refferals. The next job I actually got from the flyers I walked around and put in mailboxes in march....lol.

And we have an add coming out in The august Savvy Shopper magazine.....I will try to upload the proof onto here. I haven't finalized it yet, I need to make a few changes.

JDavisLandscapes
07-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Let me know if that link works for you. If it does and you have any input that would be great.

Thanks

A-Land
07-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Yea, for the most part refferals. The next job I actually got from the flyers I walked around and put in mailboxes in march....lol.

And we have an add coming out in The august Savvy Shopper magazine.....I will try to upload the proof onto here. I haven't finalized it yet, I need to make a few changes.

What were you doing at the beginning of the year? You didn't have many candidates for referrals yet.

JDavisLandscapes
07-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Yea, it was a little slower, but I had the refferals coming in from the Paving company I used to work for, which helped a lot. They are a big name around here and people think "Paving" must be pavers to, so they call them and they send them stright to me which is nice. All they do is asphalt and belgian blocks.