PDA

View Full Version : Removing rock and Ivy.

sandman23
03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
I landed a job that includes removing some rock and English Ivy. I have questions on both.

1. There is about 10 yards of white landscape rock (like you see in Fla. 2") that needs to be removed. Any tips on technique or speed? Shovel and wheelbarrow? Rake into snow shovel?

2. I have to remove 800 sqft. of English Ivy. I would just spray it but I am going to plant and mulch. Again, any tips on speed or technique. I have to make sure I get it all so it doesn't retake the bed. I would like to use a brush cutter but I think I need to try to pull it out so as to get the root also.

I figured about 10 man hours for both. Charged $600 for that portion of the job. The rest includes 20yds of mulch, 9 Azaleas, 7 dwarf holly, 20 bales Pinestraw, 2 flats of annuals, and sand the back yard (500 sqft. 1/4 deep). The back yard is Bermuda and thin due to neglect and limited sun. He did not want to spring for new sod and it is not the time to plant seed so we are trying the sand. Total for job $2900.

White Gardens
04-01-2009, 02:40 AM
English Ivy kills off pretty good with one application of Roundup. After you lay the mulch, you might have to come back a month later to spray again.

With the rock, a garden rake and pointed shovel works well for me. 10 hours is cutting it close, but is on target. Any shovel bigger, and it's hard to scoop up.

20 yards of good high quality hardwood mulch I wouldn't put down for less than 80 a yard, so take that into consideration.

sandman23
04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks, I sprayed the Ivy about 10 days ago and will be going out tomorrow to remove. I have not had great results trying to kill Ivy with roundup (glyphosate). I went 4oz per gallon (usually 2oz.) so hopefully I will see good results. We are going to pull out what we can, hoping that it pulls out easy. We have had a lot of rain so the ground should be soft.

I thought a snow shovel might be heavy. I am sure trial and error will show me the way.

I charged $70/yd on the mulch. I am usually between $60-80/yd depending on type of mulch, type of customer, and difficulty of install.

Sweet Tater
04-01-2009, 11:08 PM
English Ivy kills off pretty good with one application of Roundup. After you lay the mulch, you might have to come back a month later to spray again.

With the rock, a garden rake and pointed shovel works well for me. 10 hours is cutting it close, but is on target. Any shovel bigger, and it's hard to scoop up.

20 yards of good high quality hardwood mulch I wouldn't put down for less than 80 a yard, so take that into consideration.

unless you know something I dont (wih is likely, please share the secret) I can prove you wrong on that one, sprayed english ivy 4 times in the fall and dug it up, and the roots that were missed are comming back this year :(

the only way I have found to get rid of english ivy is hand pulling it with persistance, sooner or later it will all go away

White Gardens
04-02-2009, 06:17 PM
unless you know something I dont (wih is likely, please share the secret) I can prove you wrong on that one, sprayed english ivy 4 times in the fall and dug it up, and the roots that were missed are comming back this year :(

the only way I have found to get rid of english ivy is hand pulling it with persistance, sooner or later it will all go away

Couple of situations I've sprayed Ivy I used a brush and stump killer once, and Roundup on another.

I got the same good results, but, the area was highly shaded and dry, so I think the conditions helped considerably.