PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

dewcanteen
04-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Is it a good idea to put in a french drain as a preemptive move to keep a liner from bubbling? Some soil areas tend to get clayie around here.
On that, how would I run the french drain in reference to the pond? Run it right through the middle under the liner or would I have to (i dont remember the right term for them) put in a few branches coming off the main perforated pipe to cover the entire pond area?

I'd like to keep this a rolling post as more questions come to mind.

Thanks!

Jimmy

landscaperbob
04-01-2009, 07:26 PM
If you build in a way to avoid runoff from getting to your pond you should be ok. Never locate your pond in a depression & grade away from it. I also put riverstone on top of liner (fist size & smaller rock/side by side-not 5" of gravel). Most of my ponds are 3-4' deep & never a problem. Now if your work leaks........ good luck,bob

XStream Aquatics
04-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Here's a step by step way to do it. http://ippca.com/vent.html

dewcanteen
04-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I was watching a youtube video where a guy says he never puts rocks down on the bottom of his pond because the rocks get super nasty after a couple of years and the pond will have to be drained and power washed...true?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I was watching a youtube video where a guy says he never puts rocks down on the bottom of his pond because the rocks get super nasty after a couple of years and the pond will have to be drained and power washed...true?

True! Cleanouts are necessary in the gravel ponds. I think it is the only way to build ponds, but that is my way of building. Others will argue gravel ponds but I try to achieve natural looking ponds.

XStream Aquatics
04-02-2009, 08:23 AM
With or without gravel you'll end up draining the pond for a cleanout. Pressure washer .........................not needed for a cleanout.

dewcanteen
04-02-2009, 01:07 PM
With or without gravel you'll end up draining the pond for a cleanout. Pressure washer .........................not needed for a cleanout.

How far are you from Ft. Campbell?

XStream Aquatics
04-02-2009, 10:01 PM
A long ways ,211 miles.