PDA

View Full Version : Terra Lawns Landscaping Pictures

Pages : [1] 2

merrimacmill
04-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, seems to be the new trend on here these days, and I always enjoy looking at everyone else's picture threads. So I thought that I would start my own..

Got a burgundy hemlock mulch delivery today for the spring season. Planning on putting a little dent in it by installing 25 yards on a commercial site this saturday, there is a couple of the trucks snuck in there too...

P.Services
04-01-2009, 04:52 PM
wow! that looks like nice mulch. how many yards is that? what did you pay for it? howabout a close up picture so i can see how its cut?

nice

flatlander42
04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I like your little tractor!

merrimacmill
04-01-2009, 04:59 PM
A picture of the truck right after I got the new plow put on this fall, waxed her up, and took out the sideboards.

A landscape reno we did w/ sod, etc..

Just a random shot from last years fall plantings.

merrimacmill
04-01-2009, 05:02 PM
wow! that looks like nice mulch. how many yards is that? what did you pay for it? howabout a close up picture so i can see how its cut?

nice

Its 80 yards right now. May order a little more. I've got contracts for right around 80 right now and haven't started advertising yet this year so odds are I will be making another order. It is burgundy hemlock color enhanced mulch, cut is nice I will take a closer pic next time I'm there.

JDavisLandscapes
04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Very Nice.....I like the truck

P.Services
04-01-2009, 08:41 PM
thats 80 yards!!!!!!!!!!!!! that looks like 200 to me.

wow that came out of one truck, i think ive been getting the shaft

lawncare18
04-01-2009, 08:52 PM

I agree... I cant believe that all came of one tractor trailer load? Looks like more than 80!!!!

Kennedy Landscaping
04-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Those plantings and sod look great! That looks like some really nice mulch too. But I gotta agree with the others, looks like alot more than 80 yards lol.

merrimacmill
04-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Heres a little reno we did late last summer.. It was a vacant house and they were getting ready to sell and wanted it taken care of. I know the color of the pool ruins the pictures, but what could I do? haha Heres the first Before, During, and After shots taken from the same spot.

deere615
04-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Looking good I can't wait for more pictures, I loved your plowsite pics and videos!

merrimacmill
04-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Looking good I can't wait for more pictures, I loved your plowsite pics and videos!

Thanks, and I have got one last plow video comming. Been working on it for most all of the winter. I just need to get the guys together for some post season group shots..

deere615
04-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks, and I have got one last plow video comming. Been working on it for most all of the winter. I just need to get the guys together for some post season group shots..

haha I can't wait to see it. theres not many people left on plowsite

merrimacmill
04-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Paver walkway, new mulch beds, and new plantings. No new lawn yet though... hahah

JDavisLandscapes
04-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Paver walkway, new mulch beds, and new plantings. No new lawn yet though... hahah

Looks good, I would have just curved the end of the walkway out to match the bed line. It looks a little weird with the top of the walkway being rounded and the end being so square and stiff, especially since you kept the bed line curving

STIHL GUY
04-02-2009, 12:08 AM
looks good. nice trucks

merrimacmill
04-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Heres the picture of myself and a couple of my trucks that was taken for the BOSS Plow website.

merrimacmill
04-02-2009, 12:15 AM

Ya, the truck wasn't even full too. It wasn't a dump trailer though, it was one of those conveyer trailers. Which is what stacked it so high. I would agree though, they were nice and liberal with an "honest yard". Should be though.. I spend enough money over there.

merrimacmill
04-02-2009, 12:23 AM

nice

Heres a kind of crappy close up picture of the mulch taken by my phone. When I was back at the yard dropping off my dump truck I forgot my camera... In my preference it is the perfect consistency. And I looked at many suppliers this year before I went with my usual one.

merrimacmill
04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a new tractor. Its a Kubota L3240 with a cab and all the bells and whistles that goes along with that. Heres some pics.

Kennedy Landscaping
04-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice tractor. That pool looks gross lol

merrimacmill
04-17-2009, 10:45 PM
heres more

deere615
04-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Man that thing is sweet, will that primarily be used for loading mulch etc or will you be taking it to jobs and stuff?

2brothersyardcare
04-18-2009, 05:57 AM
thats hot i like that

nnj18
04-18-2009, 01:50 PM
looks like you're doing very well!! you just started the landscaping last fall, correct? but you have "ins" with the commercial places from plowing, right??

that Kubota looks sic, I bet you really wished you went with a diesel dump now haha

PORTER 05
04-18-2009, 02:15 PM
nice stuff all clean and new. How much was that tractor? Looks like youre doing alot of work, how many guys do you have know? Good luck , keep it up!

Lawn Enforcer
04-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Sweet, you finally made a descsion on a tractor. You've been comtemplating a new one for quite some time now, looks great!

RedMax Man
04-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Nice stuff there buddy. Did the big tractor come from MB Tractor?

Wheres the mowchines. I just picked up a new mower today.

nnj18
04-18-2009, 05:39 PM
also one more question is that your shop and yard or do you rent/share?

merrimacmill
04-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Man that thing is sweet, will that primarily be used for loading mulch etc or will you be taking it to jobs and stuff?

It will be going out to jobs, loading mulch when its not out on a job, and when there is both going on at once, its always a pain in the a$$.

We're putting in a 3 new lawns in the next 2 weeks with her. Lots of loam to spread. The jobs are 15, 22, and 38 yards of loam. So that will be the first real "test" for the new machine. I've got a rake for the back as well.

merrimacmill
04-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Nice stuff there buddy. Did the big tractor come from MB Tractor?

Wheres the mowchines. I just picked up a new mower today.

Yes it came from MB in Plastow, NH. What did you get for a new mower??

merrimacmill
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
looks like you're doing very well!! you just started the landscaping last fall, correct? but you have "ins" with the commercial places from plowing, right??

that Kubota looks sic, I bet you really wished you went with a diesel dump now haha

After years of planning it out, having an perfect image of what I wanted this company to be, and having a good business plan, I started in March of 2008. So it has been just over a year in this now and we seem to have been moving pretty quickly.

merrimacmill
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
nice stuff all clean and new. How much was that tractor? Looks like youre doing alot of work, how many guys do you have know? Good luck , keep it up!

I have 5 employees right now. Started with one right out the gate last april.

GlauberLandscape
04-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Great looking equipment and company! What size bucket is on the Kubota?

merrimacmill
04-19-2009, 01:02 AM
72" 17 CU FT HD woods equip bucket

thanks for the compliments, lots of hard work there as I'm sure you all can understand! haha

Ben's Landscape
04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Nice equipment!! Setting my goals for the future!!! LOL

PORTER 05
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
wow man thats awsome , thats really growing fast 2 new trucks a new mower and new tractor in one year not even , and going from 1 full time guy to 5, you must be in a pritty sweet area , and re-investing alot of youre money, good job!

merrimacmill
04-21-2009, 09:04 PM
wow man thats awsome , thats really growing fast 2 new trucks a new mower and new tractor in one year not even , and going from 1 full time guy to 5, you must be in a pritty sweet area , and re-investing alot of youre money, good job!

Re-investing a lot of my money is what it is all about. I am fortunate enough to be in the position of already having a job and personal income. (our property management company) so therefore I have been able to re-invest most all the income back into growing the business since I don't need it to support myself personally. I always find that there is always a HUGE difference in the businesses built to create a job, and the businesses built simply to build a business... If yanno what I'm saying... But this secenario does make for a unrealistically busy work week.... Often times going into the work "week-ends"..

Thanks for the compliments!

Lux Lawn
04-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Heres a little reno we did late last summer.. It was a vacant house and they were getting ready to sell and wanted it taken care of. I know the color of the pool ruins the pictures, but what could I do? haha Heres the first Before, During, and After shots taken from the same spot.

Job looks real nice, you can actually walk on the sidewalk there again.

PORTER 05
04-22-2009, 06:09 PM
ya re-investing alot of the money can be great. You must be pritty busy keeping up with everything, do you have any guys you can leave on a property and do work or do you need to be at each place watching them and stuff? We are also working weekends weve worked the last 10 days straight and im thinking we will also have to put in another sat/sun so by the end of this crazy rush of work i think we will be at work for over 20 days straight with no days off at all. But i sopose thats great i hear every day about guys that have no work and rich ceos that have no job.

merrimacmill
04-22-2009, 06:29 PM
ya re-investing alot of the money can be great. You must be pritty busy keeping up with everything, do you have any guys you can leave on a property and do work or do you need to be at each place watching them and stuff? We are also working weekends weve worked the last 10 days straight and im thinking we will also have to put in another sat/sun so by the end of this crazy rush of work i think we will be at work for over 20 days straight with no days off at all. But i sopose thats great i hear every day about guys that have no work and rich ceos that have no job.

I do have guys that can be left at a job alone, as long as it is simple enough. Like a 10 yard mulch job, they're all set. Mowing, pruning, clean-ups they're all set. But new lawn installs, pavers, 20+ yard mulch jobs, I really feel I need to be there. I would like to hire someone next who has a lot of experience, and hire him as a forman instead of just a worker like I have hired all the others as..

riverwalklandscaping
04-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I was looking at a 35 or 3940 because I am super happy with renting a 3240 a lot lately. My question is assuming you got all the bells ans whistles did you get hydraulics plumbed to the front of the loader? I'm assuming you got the QD bucket, but just curious if you got the hydro up there too? I can't decide if it would be worth it to run stuff like a p/u broom or plow or whatever. Also what rear hydro setup did you go with? Looks great.

merrimacmill
05-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I was looking at a 35 or 3940 because I am super happy with renting a 3240 a lot lately. My question is assuming you got all the bells ans whistles did you get hydraulics plumbed to the front of the loader? I'm assuming you got the QD bucket, but just curious if you got the hydro up there too? I can't decide if it would be worth it to run stuff like a p/u broom or plow or whatever. Also what rear hydro setup did you go with? Looks great.

I do not have the hydros up front on the loader yet. At some point This summer I will be adding the 3rd funtion to the loader for a plow in the winter. Also, I plan to add atleast one remote to the rear.

merrimacmill
05-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Heres some pics of a lawn reno we did recently. Ripped out the old and seeded the new. Also did the raised planting beds a little while back, but the edge got ruined when we tore out the lawn. Once the root structure of the new lawn develops I plan to re-edge the beds.

merrimacmill
05-01-2009, 04:38 PM
heres a couple more

Tyler7692
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Merrimacmill,

I don't know anything about that lawn tear out stuff. Would you mind briefly telling me the steps / tools / and equipment involved?

riverwalklandscaping
05-01-2009, 10:22 PM
looks good, did you coat it with hydroseed or straw mats or bails?

flatlander42
05-01-2009, 10:52 PM
use the harley rake, then the landscape rake to get it all clean, and scoop er into the truck! my guess anyways:)

Merrimacmill,

I don't know anything about that lawn tear out stuff. Would you mind briefly telling me the steps / tools / and equipment involved?

merrimacmill
05-02-2009, 12:40 AM
looks good, did you coat it with hydroseed or straw mats or bails?
Just threw down the seed. I know. Its not to official. But I'm not installing a lawn. I'm SPREADING loam and seed. Most everything I do is sod which is why I have yet to invest in a hydroseeder. Maybe this year I will though.

merrimacmill
07-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Well it has been awhile since I last posted on this. There have been a lot of updates. I moved into my first shop in May, and bought a new enclosed trailer, and a few other things.. Here are a couple cell phone pics of the trailer. It is a 20X8 Pro-X trailer with the landscape package and way to much money in vinyl on the side of it haha.

merrimacmill
07-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Heres the inside of the shop. I just had the lights installed as it came with pretty crappy lights. Its been very nice to have, I can park everything I own inside under lock and key, I have a full tool set there, welder, pallet racks full of plows and salters, the whole deal. I tried my best to get it right at the get go with organization. Its long enough were I can park trailer truck trailer truck front to back. You can't see the other trailer on the black truck in the picture though.

merrimacmill
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Heres a few pictures of a new walkway we just finished up.

merrimacmill
07-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Heres a few more...

nnj18
07-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Looking good man....how many accounts are you up to now? What mowers you have? Still have the babey JD??
Posted via Mobile Device

merrimacmill
07-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Looking good man....how many accounts are you up to now? What mowers you have? Still have the babey JD??
Posted via Mobile Device

We don't do a whole lot of mowing, unfortunately, so I run a couple exmark metros, same thing from the beginning. But I think next year will be upgrade time for that. No, I sold the baby JD, and got a new kubota grand L40 with a factory cab. You can kind of see it in the picture of the shop..

nnj18
07-02-2009, 12:33 PM
We don't do a whole lot of mowing, unfortunately, so I run a couple exmark metros, same thing from the beginning. But I think next year will be upgrade time for that. No, I sold the baby JD, and got a new kubota grand L40 with a factory cab. You can kind of see it in the picture of the shop..

I knew you got the big kubota but wasnt sure if you kept the JD.....what are you thinking of replacing/adding as far as mowers? Staying with exmark even with the crazy high prices they have now??

merrimacmill
07-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I knew you got the big kubota but wasnt sure if you kept the JD.....what are you thinking of replacing/adding as far as mowers? Staying with exmark even with the crazy high prices they have now??

Prob not, my next mower will most likely be a walker.

merrimacmill
07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Heres a couple more pics of the trailer, and some stripes.

ohiogreenworks
07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Everything looks great! :weightlifter:

Bolton
07-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi! Very nice job, very professional! We have a Kubota like yours and it's a wonder. I'm wondering what is the piece of equipement sitting in your trailer, to prepare for sodding. What's the make of it and does it fit the Kubota's PTO? Thanx!!

Anderson

merrimacmill
07-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi! Very nice job, very professional! We have a Kubota like yours and it's a wonder. I'm wondering what is the piece of equipement sitting in your trailer, to prepare for sodding. What's the make of it and does it fit the Kubota's PTO? Thanx!!

Anderson

Its a harley rake. It does a nice job prepping the seed bed. And yes, it fits the kubota very nicely. Its to wide for my trailer though, so it needs to go on a separate load.

rusty_keg_3
07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Thats a $hit ton of mulch, nice truck, and nice work.

pitrack
07-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Everything looks great man, good work.

Heres the picture of myself and a couple of my trucks that was taken for the BOSS Plow website.

what do you mean for the BOSS website, is there somewhere you can submit pictures to them? I have a pretty cool one I could submit.

tstutz
07-09-2009, 11:55 AM
good looking stuff! hope to see more pictures in the future!

merrimacmill
08-24-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm always forgetting to post pictures here. So with that said, heres a project we're doing, retaining wall, patio, 50+ plantings, mulch beds, bluestone stepping pathway, etc.. We just wrapped up the wall today, and have about 4 whole days into the project so far.

RedMax Man
08-24-2009, 10:18 PM
thats going to be nice! is that for the merrimac mill?

Ben's Landscape
08-25-2009, 09:41 AM
WOW that is going to look great once the project is finished. Can't wait to see more pictures

JerseyGreen
08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
I love the dump truck, nice work

doresah
08-28-2009, 01:10 AM
more pictures!!

merrimacmill
08-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Well we finished up the project today by putting in a thermal blue stone slab walkway, installed the sod, installed the mulch, installed the plantings, the irrigation was finished up by the irrigation contractor.

rusty_keg_3
08-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Holy Chit! Thats Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

GravelyGuy
08-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Everything looks awesome. You grew the business very quickly! Where did you learn to do everything?

riverwalklandscaping
08-29-2009, 10:30 AM
lol that old snow fence thing in the back needs to go

oakhillslandscaping
08-29-2009, 10:58 AM
i was lookin at your pics here and on FB and youve really come a long way since just last year congratulations on what you have accomplished and great work keep it up

nnj18
08-29-2009, 12:29 PM
looks good but it needs a bench

merrimacmill
08-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Everything looks awesome. You grew the business very quickly! Where did you learn to do everything?

Thanks, it has gone pretty quickly, but I think that it has done that because I'm the type that is never happy with anything I've done. So I sit here in frustration that its not growing as fast as I'd like it, but whenever someone gives me a comment like you did, I realize just how fast it has gone.

As to just knowing how to do all this stuff, I just obsess over all this stuff, research all the time, attend classes such as ICPI etc, talk to a lot of other landscapers I know.

But with all that said, I really need to give a lot of credit to the guys that work for me too. A lot of their effort, overtime, and dedication was put into this project to get it done in less than 2 weeks.

deere615
08-30-2009, 06:40 PM
That looks awesome great work

P.Services
10-26-2009, 10:28 PM
hey!!! whats been going on! bring this thing back to life.

merrimacmill
10-27-2009, 12:26 AM
hey!!! whats been going on! bring this thing back to life.

I will soon enough! I don't have any new pictures, I just never remember to take them. But we are in the process of buying 2 more trucks (chevy 1500 crew cab, and a GMC 5500 topkick flatbed), a skid steer (case 85xt), couple new snow pushers, new equipment trailer, and moving into/ setting up a second shop (ran out of room). So there will be plenty of new pictures within the next week or so. Just hang tight!

P.Services
10-27-2009, 12:35 AM
is the 5500 going to be a 4x4? you must make some serious money or you are using another job/family to funnel money into this company.

merrimacmill
10-27-2009, 12:41 AM
is the 5500 going to be a 4x4? you must make some serious money or you are using another job/family to funnel money into this company.

Honestly, I'm really not into the idea of purchasing yet more equipment. Ya, its cool for about an hour, but I hate spending the money. However this is all being purchased by my company to cover our snow removal contracts. It was a lot of leg work, but I got out of residential 100% and this year we are doing all commercials with my main contract being a large Lowes (about 7 acres). I'm running 4 trucks, a skid, and the tractor. So with that said, the purchase of more equipment has become a necessity. Everything is used besides the 5500. Which is an 07 leftover and no its a 4x2. I'm putting a 10 foot boss straight blade on it. This coming winter has been an almost overwhelming jump forward for me, but it just kept falling into place so now its just been a mad dash to get ready for it. I still find the hardest part being finding good employees though! It seems almost impossible.

Lawn Enforcer
10-27-2009, 12:42 AM
I've missed the last few updates, and all I can say is wow. You certainly have a great head on your shoulders to accomplish all you have done. My hat goes off to you! It's good motivation for anyone starting a company.

P.Services
10-27-2009, 12:44 AM
are you in charge of the lowes or are you a sub on it?

merrimacmill
10-27-2009, 12:51 AM
are you in charge of the lowes or are you a sub on it?

Most all the Lowes go through maintenance companies. It seems most of the lowes are going through several different ones, but we are not subbing our equipment on the site to another contractor, it is my contract.

P.Services
10-27-2009, 12:55 AM
i see. i will want to talk to you more in depth about that. did you get my pm?

merrimacmill
10-27-2009, 01:02 AM
i see. i will want to talk to you more in depth about that. did you get my pm?

No I didn't, try sending it again. Or my e-mail if the pm doesn't work. ccorso@terralawns.com

TXNSLighting
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Well we finished up the project today by putting in a thermal blue stone slab walkway, installed the sod, installed the mulch, installed the plantings, the irrigation was finished up by the irrigation contractor.

Man that looks fantastic!

P.Services
11-01-2009, 11:08 PM
where did you go? sent you a pm awhile ago?

PWLandscaping
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
www.merrimacmill.com what is your association with them?

nnj18
11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
www.merrimacmill.com what is your association with them?

I believe he IS the owner.

merrimacmill
01-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Just an update here, I have been over on plowsite and its been months since I have been here. And Picasso, I will reply to your PM soon, just read through it.

Anyways, heres a couple updated pictures. I just picked up a Kubota M7040 a week or so ago for snow removal. I really have no purpose for the machine other than snow so it will sit spring summer and fall. Its a 2010 with a FEL and the hydraulic shuttle shift. It is a turbo model, even though their website conflicts itself and says the M7040 isn't a turbo, mine most definitely is. It is a very nice machine, I have put about 50 hours on it in the last week and a half taking care of a long snow storm we had and I really love the machine.

I got in the 09 L3240 today for the first time since I put those 50 hours on the big machine and it felt like a tiny toy, I couldn't believe how odd it felt. Made me want to trade it in for another M7040! But the smaller machines do have their place.

Z-master man
01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Are you still buying the 5500 that you were talking about now that you've bought the new kubota?

merrimacmill
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Are you still buying the 5500 that you were talking about now that you've bought the new kubota?

Nope, the 5500 was still in the works when the first storm hit, and after that storm I quickly realized that another truck was not the most efficient purchase for my snow removal operation with the account list I currently have and plan to continue to obtain. So I back out of the 5500, now I just need to get my deposit back..

OrangeToys
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
You're the first one I have seen doing some great landscaping jobs with no skids.

merrimacmill
01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
You're the first one I have seen doing some great landscaping jobs with no skids.

I have a skid too, its a Case 85xt. Don't use it landscaping though unless limited space requires it.

ok4me2xlr8
01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
That is a big A$$ pile of mulch in the first picture,how long does it take you to use all that? Also all your equipment looks good.

merrimacmill
01-13-2010, 01:16 AM
That is a big A$$ pile of mulch in the first picture,how long does it take you to use all that? Also all your equipment looks good.

We went through that pile, 80 yards, in about 2-3 weeks. That was the first time I ordered my own bulk mulch pile, it worked very well for us. I plan on doing it again this year, but will be ordering two 100 yard piles delivered at separate times, but if I buy them both at once I will save a substantial amount on the total cost.

cat320
01-13-2010, 09:38 AM
We went through that pile, 80 yards, in about 2-3 weeks. That was the first time I ordered my own bulk mulch pile, it worked very well for us. I plan on doing it again this year, but will be ordering two 100 yard piles delivered at separate times, but if I buy them both at once I will save a substantial amount on the total cost.

Ordering bulk is the way to go long as you have a good enough space to put it and where a 53' tractor can back up to dump it. what co do you get your's from?

merrimacmill
01-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Ordering bulk is the way to go long as you have a good enough space to put it and where a 53' tractor can back up to dump it. what co do you get your's from?

I've tried many mulch suppliers and I find no one has as high quality mulch as landscapers depot in Kingston NH. The burgundy hemlock I got from them is very high quality stuff and doesn't fade at all. Stuff I put down last april is still rich in color and hasn't faded in the slightest. Its great material and my customers all comment on it.

murrayslandscaping22
01-15-2010, 03:06 PM
looks good man i love the black gmc..how old are you u got a nice set-up going

rcslawncare
01-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Very nice picture thread. Cant wait to see more! Post some pics of the current mowing set up as the yards look great!

merrimacmill
01-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Very nice picture thread. Cant wait to see more! Post some pics of the current mowing set up as the yards look great!

Believe it or not I'm just mowing with 2 exmark Metro's. One 48" (gets used 90% of the time) and a 36". I have these in a 22 foot enclosed trailer, and we use all redmax handhelds. I'll get some pictures next week as I'll be around the shop. I am installing a 42' foot long pallet rack system for storing equipment such as plows, salters, snow pushers, buckets, skid steer and tractor attachments, etc. I have a couple 10' wide units right now that are back to back for the plows and salter I had last season, but this year we have much more stuff to store so I need to expand it down the side wall of the shop.

rcslawncare
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Why do you have 2 walk behinds in a 22 enclosed? Do you use it for something else or just a good deal?

merrimacmill
01-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Why do you have 2 walk behinds in a 22 enclosed? Do you use it for something else or just a good deal?

Well, I bought the walk behinds when I started out coming up on 3 years ago and I was using a 14' open landscape trailer I already had. Last year I decided to upgrade to an enclosed trailer for purposes of keeping oils, parts, tools, string, etc right at our fingertips and not ever having the excuse of "forgetting it at the shop". I also bought it for the advertising purposes, I have very large 8 foot wide logos on the side.

I bought such a big trailer so I could grow into it. I don't plan on running 2 gear walk behinds forever (hopefully moving into a walker this year) and since I keep the trailer inside my shop at all times, it will last many many years so I wanted to make sure whatever I bought would be big enough for down the road. So it is 8 foot wide on the interior as well. The metros have been good to me but the more and harder we use them the quicker they show their wear. Its getting time to move into something more serious. Mowing really hasn't been to much of a part of my business, as much as I want it to be more, it just hasn't happened that way yet. I am going for a big push on it this spring though.

rcslawncare
01-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Very nice, just wondering, but like you, I hate running back to get little stuff that should be with me at all times anyway! Best of luck and you should enjoy that walker if you get one, they sure are nice!

Creative Group Ltd.
01-15-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm always forgetting to post pictures here. So with that said, heres a project we're doing, retaining wall, patio, 50+ plantings, mulch beds, bluestone stepping pathway, etc.. We just wrapped up the wall today, and have about 4 whole days into the project so far.

WOW! Picture perfect outcome! I like the flagstone pathway leading up to the lounge area & the sod & mulch just compliment the total finish Thumbs Up

I will soon enough! I don't have any new pictures, I just never remember to take them. But we are in the process of buying 2 more trucks (chevy 1500 crew cab, and a GMC 5500 topkick flatbed), a skid steer (case 85xt), couple new snow pushers, new equipment trailer, and moving into/ setting up a second shop (ran out of room). So there will be plenty of new pictures within the next week or so. Just hang tight!

LOL, slow down bud! You've got lots of time ahead of u, haha!

-Cre :canadaflag:

murrayslandscaping22
01-16-2010, 12:47 AM
looks good man...how old are you did u say on plow site you 19 cause if you are this is an awesome set up

merrimacmill
01-16-2010, 02:47 AM
looks good man...how old are you did u say on plow site you 19 cause if you are this is an awesome set up

I am 20 years old. When I get on these forums I'm always glad to see all the other young guys getting into this and doing really well. I've been finding that some of the fastest growing companies around are owned by 20 somethings lately..

murrayslandscaping22
01-16-2010, 10:15 AM
i agree with you totally, i am 18 myself and love it and have over 50 lawns accounts thats where i make all my mom snow isnt really as big around here. And i agree with you it seems like a lot of us young guys are doing it pretty big these days keep up the good work and i love the black gmc even tho im a ford guy that would be the only gmc id get aha:cool2:

a&jlandscaping
01-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey guys I am 20 years old also and we have grown fast. It is me and a life long friend and we are both 20 years old and this spring will be the 5 year of landscaping. We do mowing and hardscapes and commercial snowplowing.We have around 100 lawns that we do an have 5 guys working for us. It is good to see that we are not alone.

ColumbiaLand
01-16-2010, 10:24 PM
hey merrimac, That wall job/patio job you did looked good but the geo-grid was installed parallel with the wall which is a big no no. Have you considered getting your ICPI Certification for hardscapes? Send me a pm on plowsite if you interested. We going down to new jersey to get ours in mid february. Let me know Thanks Collin

merrimacmill
01-17-2010, 02:26 AM
hey merrimac, That wall job/patio job you did looked good but the geo-grid was installed parallel with the wall which is a big no no. Have you considered getting your ICPI Certification for hardscapes? Send me a pm on plowsite if you interested. We going down to new jersey to get ours in mid february. Let me know Thanks Collin

Collin ,

I used bi-directional geogrid on that wall, it can go either way. I am already ICPI certified, been level 1 for awhile (coming up on a year) and recently took care of my level 2. I've never been to a NCMA (I believe it is) class yet though. I would like to go to one of those next.

ColumbiaLand
01-17-2010, 08:20 AM
good to know you used bi-directional. Most people have no idea what when they do it wrong and then it collapses two years later. Looks Good Thanks

ColumbiaLand
01-17-2010, 08:20 AM
I just got my NCMA SRW 2 months ago. good class

Frierson
01-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Everything looks great. Cant wait to see more pics

grassman177
01-17-2010, 09:37 PM
i like the lawn and landscape o=pics with the little patio and wall. looks very nice

moores
01-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Just wanted to say great looking work. And just curious on what size Boss plow you have on the dump and how u like the Vplow.

merrimacmill
01-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Just wanted to say great looking work. And just curious on what size Boss plow you have on the dump and how u like the Vplow.

The V plow is a 9' 2" std steel full trip blade. It works awesome, and I love the plow.

srl28
01-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Just wondering if you have any more plowing pics/info? Seems we have a similar set of accounts and style business and I like how you run and equip things. Looking good

merrimacmill
01-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Just wondering if you have any more plowing pics/info? Seems we have a similar set of accounts and style business and I like how you run and equip things. Looking good

I have quite a few pictures of plow scattered all around the place, I will post a few up here, but here is a video I made from last year. My equipment list has changed significantly since this video last year though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlYsn4rYmcc

cmrgrounds
01-20-2010, 11:44 PM
That video is pretty cool.

scagmower
01-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Everything looks great man!!! You really got a solid start, congrats and good luck to you

Z-master man
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
What trailer do you use to haul the smaller tractor and the bigger one?

merrimacmill
02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
What trailer do you use to haul the smaller tractor and the bigger one?

I use a 21 foot 7 ton deck over for most everything. I also have a 14 foot 5 ton landscape trailer that I used for the smaller tractor, it just barely fit. So if the big one is out, I'll pull with the smaller one.

Z-master man
02-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I use a 21 foot 7 ton deck over for most everything. I also have a 14 foot 5 ton landscape trailer that I used for the smaller tractor, it just barely fit. So if the big one is out, I'll pull with the smaller one.

Do you have any pic's of the big tractor loaded on the trailer?

merrimacmill
02-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Ya, here is one. This picture is the day I bought it and was bringing it to the site.

Ben's Landscape
02-24-2010, 06:52 PM
WOW that tractor is a monster on the trailer!! how did the chevy like towing it? It looks great.

merrimacmill
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
WOW that tractor is a monster on the trailer!! how did the chevy like towing it? It looks great.

It does great towing it. Its a 3500 SRW 6.6 duramax. I just get worried going under low bridges and such. Just got to pay attention to clearances.

Z-master man
02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Have you ever towed it with the 6.0?

merrimacmill
02-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Have you ever towed it with the 6.0?

No, not yet. I've only owned it since like Jan 1. I don't really tow with that thing anyways, the visibility sucks to bad.

Z-master man
02-24-2010, 07:44 PM
No, not yet. I've only owned it since like Jan 1. I don't really tow with that thing anyways, the visibility sucks to bad.

ohhh... Well if you ever do would you mind telling me how she does? I've got the say set-up (6.0 with the 6 speed) and I'm just wondering how it'll do pulling that weight.

OrangeToys
02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
what does that tractor even weigh?

merrimacmill
02-25-2010, 12:30 AM
what does that tractor even weigh?

Not all that much. The weight of just the tractor is around 5,500 and then add about 2000 for the loader, and another 800 or so for a snow bucket, and then I have the rear tires filled and I have no idea what those would be, atleast 1000 I would guess though. I would bet, just by feel when trailering, it weighs in similar to my Case 85xt which is a pretty heavy skid. Tractors look at lot more than they weigh. Which is sometimes good, and sometimes bad.

OrangeToys
02-25-2010, 12:42 AM
I would think the 6.0 would pull that, just not as easy or fast as the 6.6
I think the max towing for the 6.0 is like 13k? Not possitive.
Posted via Mobile Device

merrimacmill
02-25-2010, 01:29 AM
I would think the 6.0 would pull that, just not as easy or fast as the 6.6
I think the max towing for the 6.0 is like 13k? Not possitive.
Posted via Mobile Device

14,500 I think. Ya, it would do it. Just not as easy as the 6.6 will.

merrimacmill
03-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Getting ready for spring. I hauled my equipment off site, the smaller L3240 was the last one along with the 10 foot pusher. Also, some of doing the service intervals on the tractors. 50 hour service on the M7040 and the 200 on the L3240

merrimacmill
03-29-2010, 12:42 AM
a couple more..

Lawn Enforcer
03-29-2010, 12:47 AM
So do you have any work for the M7040 in summer? If not, ship it out to Minnesota, I have plenty of work for it!:laugh:

merrimacmill
03-29-2010, 12:57 AM
So do you have any work for the M7040 in summer? If not, ship it out to Minnesota, I have plenty of work for it!:laugh:

Besides maybe loading mulch if everything else is busy, no, I have no use for it. I am on the list for roadside mowing with the highway dept, in which case I would purchase a large batwing rotary mower for it. But who knows how long it will take for any of that to pan out. Financially, its fine for me to have it sit all summer as that is what I planned on when I purchased the machine. But it just really bothers me to have a piece of equipment, especially one that expensive, just sitting all summer... Also, if we have a job large enough to require another piece of equipment, it might see a little bit of action. But I cannot see needing more than the 85xt and L3240.

merrimacmill
03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
And one more of all the machines fully serviced, and ready to go.

deere615
03-29-2010, 11:52 PM
they are are so squeaky clean and shiny!

Z-master man
03-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Did you ever get enough video to make a whole one?

ajslands
03-30-2010, 08:52 AM
^ their is a preview on YouTube. It's nice, can't wait till the actual one comes out, hey btw merrimac, how'd that time lapse go?
Posted via Mobile Device

A.Landscaping
03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
That some good looking Chevys with Boss plows! You can never go wroong with a Boss. Good looking work!

Lawn Enforcer
03-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Besides maybe loading mulch if everything else is busy, no, I have no use for it. I am on the list for roadside mowing with the highway dept, in which case I would purchase a large batwing rotary mower for it. But who knows how long it will take for any of that to pan out. Financially, its fine for me to have it sit all summer as that is what I planned on when I purchased the machine. But it just really bothers me to have a piece of equipment, especially one that expensive, just sitting all summer... Also, if we have a job large enough to require another piece of equipment, it might see a little bit of action. But I cannot see needing more than the 85xt and L3240.

I get what you are saying here. I would like to purchase a skid for snow, but I just don't want to pay the money for one and not use it much in summer since I don't do much landscaping. Plus I have a buddy with an excavating business who has a T250 and gives me a killer rate for dirt work and such, it makes it hard to justify a purchase.

merrimacmill
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM
I get what you are saying here. I would like to purchase a skid for snow, but I just don't want to pay the money for one and not use it much in summer since I don't do much landscaping. Plus I have a buddy with an excavating business who has a T250 and gives me a killer rate for dirt work and such, it makes it hard to justify a purchase.

I'm in the same boat with a hydroseeder. I've had two guys try to sell me their hydroseeders in the last year but I just can't justify one since whenever I need hydroseeding done, there is a guy who sprays 10,000 square feet for me for 400$ flat rate. I could hardly do it myself in just costs alone for that amount of money.

merrimacmill
03-30-2010, 03:19 PM
^ their is a preview on YouTube. It's nice, can't wait till the actual one comes out, hey btw merrimac, how'd that time lapse go?
Posted via Mobile Device

unfortunately, I never got a chance to do the time lapse. I did get enough footage to do a video. I am also having a professional video made for advertisement purposes, while the ones I make are always just for fun and for the guys on the forums.

Lawn Enforcer
03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm in the same boat with a hydroseeder. I've had two guys try to sell me their hydroseeders in the last year but I just can't justify one since whenever I need hydroseeding done, there is a guy who sprays 10,000 square feet for me for 400$ flat rate. I could hardly do it myself in just costs alone for that amount of money.

Exactly. You would need to do a lot of work to justify it. I still don't have enough snow accounts to even justify a skid, hopefully soon.

Z-master man
04-06-2010, 09:59 PM
unfortunately, I never got a chance to do the time lapse. I did get enough footage to do a video. I am also having a professional video made for advertisement purposes, while the ones I make are always just for fun and for the guys on the forums.

Did you ever make the 2009/2010 movie?

CSL&L
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Keep up the great work!

oakwdman
04-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Things gettin goin for you guys yet? Any plans for new additions this yr?

merrimacmill
04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Things gettin goin for you guys yet? Any plans for new additions this yr?

Yup, we've been going. Just hired another guy today, and the calls have finally started rolling in. I was getting a little nervous for a bit, but I think the 18 something inches of rain in march killed the early callers.

I am planning the purchase of a new Kubota ZG227 or ZG327, I just haven't decided if the 60" deck will be to big or not. Most likely it will be the ZG227. I just really like the layout, and design of their machines. People keep asking me "well why not an exmark?" and I just say, why not a Kubota? I have bought over 80 grand of that company's products in the less than a year, I think I can call myself a Kubota guy now. Not to mention, the fluids are all the same, and I buy pretty large quantities of their super UDT fluid, $1000 worth at a time, and its orange to match everything else! The ease of service is an important thing to me as my fleet grows, and now I have a mechanic on staff to take care of everything for me. I want things uniform since I have began to stock parts for everything from trucks, plows, tractors, mowers, and handhelds. Breakdowns are becoming less and less of an issue for us. Knock on wood!

merrimacmill
04-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Well, haven't had time for an update in awhile. And I also keep forgetting to take pictures. But here are a couple. I just picked up a new Wright Stander rapid height mower 52" deck. Also, a picture from a brush removal and new lawn job with the L3240 that ended up having quite a bit of poison ivy in it. The M7040 pulling stumps. Then part of the fleet in the car wash stalls getting cleaned after.

P.Services
04-30-2010, 12:04 AM
what happend to that turf in the first pic? it looks like a herd of wildebeest trampled it!!

merrimacmill
04-30-2010, 01:21 AM
what happend to that turf in the first pic? it looks like a herd of wildebeest trampled it!!

Ya, that lawn is pretty bad. We weren't there to mow, we were doing the mulching. It started sleeting out about halfway through, so at the end of each mulch job we mow to get rid of any wheel barrow lines in the grass. That picture is before we started to mow.

teamgreendude
04-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Nice new stander I have a 52'' 23hp and may be getting a grandstand or a kubota diesel ztr, I thought you were going to buy the zg227/327. The camp I'm hiking at this weekend has kubota mowers/tractors and a case 85xt that's very similar to yours. Have you also thought about getting a leaf loader for leafs this fall ?

merrimacmill
04-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Nice new stander I have a 52'' 23hp and may be getting a grandstand or a kubota diesel ztr, I thought you were going to buy the zg227/327. The camp I'm hiking at this weekend has kubota mowers/tractors and a case 85xt that's very similar to yours. Have you also thought about getting a leaf loader for leafs this fall ?

I was going to get a kubota zg227 but I decided the stander might be a better option as most our accounts are rather small yards.

I do have a leaf loader for the dump truck already. I only use it in the fall though. Its a trac vac one. Not the best unit ever, but I found it new at a steal.

teamgreendude
04-30-2010, 08:16 PM
I was going to get a kubota zg227 but I decided the stander might be a better option as most our accounts are rather small yards.

I do have a leaf loader for the dump truck already. I only use it in the fall though. Its a trac vac one. Not the best unit ever, but I found it new at a steal.

what hp is it ?

merrimacmill
05-01-2010, 01:35 AM
what hp is it ?

16 horsepower model. Can't remember the specific model number. I wouldn't buy one again.

deere615
05-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Nice mower congrats, I love mine just gotta take it easy trning likes to tear up grass but they are so fast and leave an awesome cut

Z-master man
05-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Any updates, new pic's, or video?

TG Lawn Care
05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
How much does a job like this bring in? I'm very new to the game and need help mastering the science of quoting a price.

merrimacmill
05-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Got a couple update pictures here. First is excavation of a small walkway we did the other day, the other is the walkway before poly sand, next is a little landing we did in front of the house which was still in progress at the time of the picture.

More exciting though, I finally have finished re-painting my case skid steer. Its a 2002 85xt, I put the new graphics on it though. For the case guys out there, I know I put the graphics on the arms backwards. I realized that after I stuck them on and happen to drive by a new case machine an hour later. I was initially all stressed about it, but I think it looks fine either way. I'm still waiting on the inner graphics that say Case.

deere615
05-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Skid looks Nice, did you build the trex deck or just the patio below it

bobcat48
05-15-2010, 08:30 PM
That skid looks really nice.

merrimacmill
05-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Skid looks Nice, did you build the trex deck or just the patio below it

Just the patio below it. It was just a quick half day thing we did for an existing customer.

merrimacmill
05-16-2010, 12:58 AM
And I went in today and absolutely could not stand the fact that the decals were backwards on the loader arms, ended up tearing them off. I need to order more now, my mechanic and myself spent so much time on this machine painting it, I dont want it ruined by having the decal backwards.

P.Services
05-16-2010, 01:12 AM
I don't get what's backwards? It looks like case to me?
Posted via Mobile Device

merrimacmill
05-16-2010, 01:16 AM
I don't get what's backwards? It looks like case to me?
Posted via Mobile Device

The part that goes towards the back of the machine that is tapered is supposed to go to the front towards the pin by the grab handle. But instead the dark part with the sharp corner is in front. I put them on the wrong sides since I didn't have a computer with me to look up a picture, and they were not marked left or right hand sides. At the end of the road I drove by a newer 465 I believe it was, and saw it done the right way. just google case skid steer and you will see.

P.Services
05-16-2010, 02:06 AM
You should have given it a few more days and then you woulda relized youy didn't care that much.
Posted via Mobile Device

merrimacmill
05-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Here is my first video advertisement for online use. I hired a marketing guy to do a new website, design print ads and hand outs, videos, photography, the whole deal.

This is the first video that has been completed so far. There will be a gallery on the new site of several of these types of videos.

http://vimeo.com/11941160

merrimacmill
05-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Sry, I cannot figure out how to embed it.

Z-master man
05-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Nice promo video! I love it.

Z-master man
07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
How come almost all your videos dissapeared of YouTube? Is the video still coming?
Posted via Mobile Device

merrimacmill
07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Keep forgetting to update, heres a few recents.

merrimacmill
07-19-2010, 11:01 PM
another...

merrimacmill
07-19-2010, 11:12 PM
We have been doing a lot of paver installations these days, and I will post a few more pics when I'm on the other computer that has them. I have began preparing for the upcoming snow season, I just bought a 2nd Kubota M7040 with a 10 foot pusher and will be picking that up from the dealer this wednesday or thursday. I'll be sure to post pictures of the twins when I get it back to the shop.

Z-master man
07-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Just wondering since you had said the first 7040 just sits most of the summer. Why buy another one? Why not buy another truck to plow with or something?
Posted via Mobile Device

NarNar
07-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Well, seems to be the new trend on here these days, and I always enjoy looking at everyone else's picture threads. So I thought that I would start my own..

Got a burgundy hemlock mulch delivery today for the spring season. Planning on putting a little dent in it by installing 25 yards on a commercial site this saturday, there is a couple of the trucks snuck in there too...

That's a nice size pile. How long did that project take?

NarNar
07-20-2010, 01:14 AM
We have been doing a lot of paver installations these days, and I will post a few more pics when I'm on the other computer that has them. I have began preparing for the upcoming snow season, I just bought a 2nd Kubota M7040 with a 10 foot pusher and will be picking that up from the dealer this wednesday or thursday. I'll be sure to post pictures of the twins when I get it back to the shop.

That's a nice looking paver job there! Great job. What is the dimension on that project and how much would you bill for something like that?

We are looking into doing pavers also.

merrimacmill
07-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Just wondering since you had said the first 7040 just sits most of the summer. Why buy another one? Why not buy another truck to plow with or something?
Posted via Mobile Device

A lot of people ask me that. I esp get the "why a tractor? why not a loader?" question.

There is not a comparison for a truck vs. tractor for snow removal. Different accounts require different types of equipment, and my particular situation required another tractor. And yes, the 2 M7040's sit all summer but that is ok. I budget for them to sit all summer, so it really doesn't matter to me, I bought them specifically for snow and nothing else. And considering my first one has gone through a whole winter and now only has 84 hours on it, I will have them a VERY long time. I only really use the dump truck, and skid steer in the summer.

merrimacmill
07-20-2010, 03:25 AM
That's a nice looking paver job there! Great job. What is the dimension on that project and how much would you bill for something like that?

We are looking into doing pavers also.

I believe that one was a 13X18 if I remember correct. We billed for our time and materials on that job. :rolleyes:

bobcat48
07-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Looks nice.

propertymanagement2010
07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
you should add some curves to those patios and walkways....

merrimacmill
07-20-2010, 03:33 PM
you should add some curves to those patios and walkways....

I would love to, but the homeowner wants what they want and in those instances, it was square or straight.

merrimacmill
07-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Here is the twins. The new M7040 is the closest in the picture without the new graphics yet.

OrangeToys
07-24-2010, 08:15 PM
How do you like them? I'm looking at getting a 50-60hp it will be my first one to buy. What all do you get used for?
Posted via Mobile Device

merrimacmill
07-24-2010, 08:20 PM
How do you like them? I'm looking at getting a 50-60hp it will be my first one to buy. What all do you get used for?
Posted via Mobile Device

I liked the first one so much I picked up a second one. For my specific uses, they work great. Mine are used only for snow. I put a 10 foot pro-tech snow pusher up front and thats it. I found them to be to big for landscaping, and the gear drive transmissions are horrible for that as well.

prolawnservice1
07-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Keep up the great work!!! Good Luck.

Lawn Enforcer
07-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Congrats on your purchase! :weightlifter:

Jelinek61
07-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Awesome pair of tractors, keep up the good work

ColumbiaLand
07-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Keeping the smaller tractor for landscaping work?

merrimacmill
07-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Keeping the smaller tractor for landscaping work?

Nope, since I got the Case 85xt, I haven't used the small tractor once. So I traded it in for the M7040

ColumbiaLand
07-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Nicely done, let me know if you want that small pusher it needs to go. I have no room to store it as of tomorrow when the arctics arrive so it will be outside! Thanks Collin

merrimacmill
09-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Been awhile for an update, so I thought I'd put up a couple more pictures.

A week or two ago we just picked up a brand new GMC 3500 with a Reading service body for my mechanic. It has a 8' 2" Boss Vxt plow to go along with it. We've been slowly rigging it up with all the tools, warning lights, etc.. I am switching over to white trucks. All of a sudden everyone else around here has red trucks and green lettering and it drives me nuts.

murrayslandscaping22
09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
looks good man i love your enclosed, im just wondering, how much do u pay for ur shop if you dont want to post it on here can you pm me.

bobcat48
09-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Real nice new truck.

merrimacmill
09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
looks good man i love your enclosed, im just wondering, how much do u pay for ur shop if you dont want to post it on here can you pm me.

My shop is two bays totaling 2400 square feet and I pay $900 a month including electricity.

murrayslandscaping22
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
My shop is two bays totaling 2400 square feet and I pay $900 a month including electricity.

damn thats a steal man

cubedmack
09-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Man, you are very inspirational with your work and progress. Keep it coming! Guys like you and other on this site make all of us want to strive and be very successful.

Buddy Buds
09-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Awesume business. What are the percentages of the different services. Snowplowing, hardscapes, maintenance, installs?

Graveslawncare
11-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Love your company man, you're doing some really good-looking projects.

One thing I noticed- in post #175, the pic of the guy compacting the base for the patio- that doesn't look like the right grade of rock for an aggregate base under a paver patio. I'm just going off the picture, but it doesn't look like there are enough fines in it for it to compact properly and it looks like there are too many big rocks. Again, I'm just going off the pic, and I know you are ICPI certified, but that just caught my attention. It just didn't look the way a compacted aggregate base usually looks when the right material is used. Anyways, ignore me if I'm wrong lol.

Love all your equipment. I'm a chevy/GM guy myself as well. You have some really great trucks, I love the dump. You must be doing really well to be able to buy a brand new truck for your mechanic to use. Those are the kind of trucks I will get for irrigation service when my company gets to that point. I'm guessing the truck is for him to come visit you on job sites when things go awry with equipment?

I'm gonna leave this post at a short story before it turns into a novel lol. Congrats on all the success! And post more pics!!!

merrimacmill
11-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Love your company man, you're doing some really good-looking projects.

One thing I noticed- in post #175, the pic of the guy compacting the base for the patio- that doesn't look like the right grade of rock for an aggregate base under a paver patio. I'm just going off the picture, but it doesn't look like there are enough fines in it for it to compact properly and it looks like there are too many big rocks. Again, I'm just going off the pic, and I know you are ICPI certified, but that just caught my attention. It just didn't look the way a compacted aggregate base usually looks when the right material is used. Anyways, ignore me if I'm wrong lol.

Love all your equipment. I'm a chevy/GM guy myself as well. You have some really great trucks, I love the dump. You must be doing really well to be able to buy a brand new truck for your mechanic to use. Those are the kind of trucks I will get for irrigation service when my company gets to that point. I'm guessing the truck is for him to come visit you on job sites when things go awry with equipment?

I'm gonna leave this post at a short story before it turns into a novel lol. Congrats on all the success! And post more pics!!!

Hey, thanks for the compliments. The base material you see him compacting is 1.5" stone. The sub base would not compact at all as it was all just muddy clay and would rebound like a sponge when we would attempt to compact it. It went down at least 2 feet as well. And I am not going to excavate several feet for a patio. So what I always do in this situation is to excavate the sub base about a foot and a half and put in 6-8 inches of 1.5" stone, and then put the gravel pack (.75" to fines) in after that, and so on. I also use woven geotextile in this application to separate all layers.

We are getting stuff ready for winter and we did just buy a brand new skid steer that we are picking up this coming week that I will post pictures of. We also have a photographer coming to take fleet photographs this week.

Graveslawncare
11-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Makes complete sense, and of course is what you're supposed to do in that situation. I was 99.9% sure you would have a reason for whatever was happening lol I just had to ask.

A band new skid? Good grief, you are one lucky man lol. Did you get another Case or did you go with a Bobcat or something else this time?

merrimacmill
11-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Makes complete sense, and of course is what you're supposed to do in that situation. I was 99.9% sure you would have a reason for whatever was happening lol I just had to ask.

A band new skid? Good grief, you are one lucky man lol. Did you get another Case or did you go with a Bobcat or something else this time?

Its a New Holland L175 with the pilot controls and all that stuff. I needed it for a new snow account this year.

merrimacmill
11-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Heres some pictures of us starting to get the stuff ready for snow a couple weeks ago. Its a process to take all the equipment down from the pallet racks and then go through every hose, cutting edges, fluid, etc.. But we are getting closer, hopefully having it all set by this week.

Graveslawncare
11-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow that's awesome man. I know there is lots of money in snow.

I live in Nashville, TN, and we don't get a whole lot. Last year we had a big storm, but we can never count on snow for sure like you guys can. I have been offered to bid on several good-sized commercial snow contracts for this winter, but I don't have nearly the equipment I would need to make it happen, and I definitely don't have the money to invest in that stuff not knowing if it will even snow. I would like to be able to play those odds one day, but it will have to wait til my company is making a lot more money and I can take the chance. Still, I feel like I'm missing out when I see you northern guys gearing up for winter :cry:

bobcat48
11-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Looks good.kool stuff.enjoy your winter man.

merrimacmill
11-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Wow that's awesome man. I know there is lots of money in snow.

I live in Nashville, TN, and we don't get a whole lot. Last year we had a big storm, but we can never count on snow for sure like you guys can. I have been offered to bid on several good-sized commercial snow contracts for this winter, but I don't have nearly the equipment I would need to make it happen, and I definitely don't have the money to invest in that stuff not knowing if it will even snow. I would like to be able to play those odds one day, but it will have to wait til my company is making a lot more money and I can take the chance. Still, I feel like I'm missing out when I see you northern guys gearing up for winter :cry:

Ya, I see what you mean. I didn't even know that you guys got any snow at all down there. If you want to be big into the snow removal, snow plows on your existing landscape trucks and using subcontractors who have heavy equipment is the only way to do it. I will only put equipment on a site that is seasonally billed so I know I can cover my expenses. Or at least have a retainer to pay the bills if it doesn't snow.

All the equipment was going to be brought to the snow sites this week, but I got a job for my tractors moving and placing some large 1000 pound hay bales around for a emergency beach erosion project starting tomorrow and going into next week. The local island beach here has been eroding away (several feet each storm I believe), one house actually fell over onto the beach. So I will have to hold off bringing the equipment out to the snow sites until mid next week.

I'll be sure to get and post a lot of pictures of the beach erosion project, it should be a pretty cool and new experience for us.

merrimacmill
11-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Here is a few pics I grabbed on my cell phone today from the beach project. The beach is eroding away very fast, and one house has actually fallen off the dune, onto the beach. We are taking these large hay bales and wrapping them in snow fence, and then we will be placing them in a trench on the beach, then many hundreds of yards of sand will be brought in to put on top.

Yesterday was just prepped the hay bails and unloading off the trucks.. We got another 70 to go tomorrow (or today I should say). I think the more interesting pictures should come when we are placing them on the beach..

merrimacmill
11-20-2010, 03:53 AM
a few more

merrimacmill
11-20-2010, 04:02 AM
and heres some unrelated pictures from when we pulled the engine in my camaro the other night in my home garage. I've been working on it as a rolling restoration for years now and its time for the original 327 to be rebuilt and the engine compartment restored and painted, its really the last thing that the car needs. I started the disassembly, but only got so far.

kevin16856
11-20-2010, 07:55 AM
What is your connection to Merrimac Mill?

merrimacmill
11-20-2010, 08:26 AM
What is your connection to Merrimac Mill?

Its an office building my mother and I own and operate.

kevin16856
11-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Excellent property.

Graveslawncare
11-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Looks like tools on the top of the cart and a bunch of liquor on the bottom? Lol

flatlander42
11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Those bales are on their last leg....Suprised they don't crumble before you can get the fence on them!

I suppose there is no reason to use fresh bales....just to burry them.

merrimacmill
11-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Those bales are on their last leg....Suprised they don't crumble before you can get the fence on them!

I suppose there is no reason to use fresh bales....just to burry them.

We got a bad load that time, sent most of them back. We have been getting much better product the last few days. We are finishing this job up tomorrow, it ended up being a lot bigger of a job than we expected though. It went from something around 20 bales to well over 100 bales..

merrimacmill
11-23-2010, 07:34 PM
here is a few more

flatlander42
11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Wouldn't the Bales and the Wood only last so long? Has this been done before? Seems like a very temporary fix.

merrimacmill
11-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Wouldn't the Bales and the Wood only last so long? Has this been done before? Seems like a very temporary fix.

Oh it most definitally is a temporary fix, it has been done in another part of the beach back in June. It has held up great so far. Much better than any other method. I'm really not sure what the long term plans for it are. Recently the dredged the river and deposited something like 120,000 cubic yards of sand on the beach, its now mostly all gone. 2,500 cubic yards that they added separately was washed away in one storm.. This project I was involved with was funded by the homeowners with the more severe situations of erosion.

I didn't design this idea, just helped to carry it out and assemble the hay bales.

flatlander42
11-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm sure it would be a tough problem to figure out. Definately interseting. Thanks for the answers!

rob640
11-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Awesome thread, nice work. I know this is off subject but, how do you like ur metros? im undecided between metro or tthp. would perfer tthp but like the price of the metro. How have they been working out for you?

barney14
02-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Keep coming with the pics.

RPM90
02-15-2011, 08:56 PM
what are the specs on your pallet racks? what is the hight of them? and how long are the? any updates?

merrimacmill
02-18-2011, 03:09 PM
what are the specs on your pallet racks? what is the hight of them? and how long are the? any updates?

They are 10 feet high, with 2 new units being 12 feet. Most are 10 feet wide, with one unit for my snow pushers being 12 feet wide.

merrimacmill
02-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Here are my fleet pictures right before the equip all went out to our winter snow accounts for the season.

This year I really plan on going through the equipment and making it all match. I plan on getting at least 3 trucks painted white this year, and applying my new logo to everything. I really want to get a more uniform look going.

merrimacmill
02-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Here is my new logo, I have had it done for awhile now but just haven't had time to get it applied to anything. I dropped the "lawns" because I have never once heard anyone call us "Terra lawns" its always "oh ya, I've seen the terra trucks around.." or "is this terra?" Also, lawns is what I started out focusing on, but is hardly my focus now. I feel this will allow me to be a bit more broad in our services.

merrimacmill
02-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Picking up a brand new New Holland L175 fully loaded with a Snow Wolf 8' blade. I wish I bought I bought it for winter use this year, we have put about 200 hours on it since December when I took it home.

merrimacmill
02-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Kubotas pushing

theguynextdoor
02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
The new skid look sick. Also, the logo is very simple and modern = perfect. Looking good.

2brothersyardcare
02-18-2011, 05:24 PM
not to be rude but why didn't you buy a used loader instead of the two kubutas

merrimacmill
02-18-2011, 05:32 PM
not to be rude but why didn't you buy a used loader instead of the two kubutas

1. I have a warranty on them.
2. I can trailer them myself instead of hiring that out to a lowboy.
3. They just fit my application.
4. I bought one and used it for a season, then decided to trade my smaller machine in on a matching kubota. They were not bought at the same time, meaning I didn't drop the 90k at once.
5. If my one loader goes down, I'm screwed. If one of my kubotas goes down I'm still plowing.
6. 3pt hitch capability, I plan on adding an ebling at some point on one and a snow blower on the other.
7. They are smaller, which means I can service all of the smaller lots I have within a couple miles of the large account they are on. These will fit in the parking lots and a loader wouldn't. I do A LOT of plowing of smaller places all down the same road as the larger account, most of which are plowed with those at one point or another.

Thats 7 reasons, and I'm sure I could come up with more.

bobcat48
02-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Very nice fleet and loaders,skid steers i like it all,also great lookin logo.

2brothersyardcare
02-19-2011, 04:44 PM
1. I have a warranty on them.
2. I can trailer them myself instead of hiring that out to a lowboy.
3. They just fit my application.
4. I bought one and used it for a season, then decided to trade my smaller machine in on a matching kubota. They were not bought at the same time, meaning I didn't drop the 90k at once.
5. If my one loader goes down, I'm screwed. If one of my kubotas goes down I'm still plowing.
6. 3pt hitch capability, I plan on adding an ebling at some point on one and a snow blower on the other.
7. They are smaller, which means I can service all of the smaller lots I have within a couple miles of the large account they are on. These will fit in the parking lots and a loader wouldn't. I do A LOT of plowing of smaller places all down the same road as the larger account, most of which are plowed with those at one point or another.

Thats 7 reasons, and I'm sure I could come up with more.

that makes since i did not mean that to e rude, i thought that they were on that one lot

Jpeg lawn maintenance
02-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Just took About an hour looking through your thread. Everything looks fabulous I am 20 also almost 21 and you are an inspiration. Although I wish I knew how to do the walkways and walls like you do. I just dont know where to learn that without doing on the job training. I know you have read it 100 times but Your works looks awesome and Threads like this push me even harder. Good luck this spring !! :waving:

bmac32
02-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Threads like this push me even harder. Good luck this spring !!

same thing with me too :usflag:payup:weightlifter:

merrimacmill
05-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Here is a link to a trailer to the documentary we were featured in along with 4 other companies this winter. Pro-Tech snow pushers sponsored it, and hired a film company to come out to us and film us. It will premiere at the SIMA symposium this year, we are all very excited about it. The first guy they show is my mechanic and friend that works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWE3dJ30iSA

merrimacmill
05-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Here are a few pictures from this year. I keep forgetting to grab pictures of our jobs, but here are a few I got with my phone.

Got a 450 sq ft or so patio with walkway, firepit, and retaining/sitting wall we are installing. We also have a nice driveway installation coming up as well I'll be posting pictures of.

deerewashed
05-28-2011, 01:47 PM
new komat. pc27?

merrimacmill
05-30-2011, 12:52 PM
new komat. pc27?

No, its just a rental. Although a mini ex is on my list to get. I just don't currently need one on enough of a basis to justify it yet. When I do purchase one I will want one a bit bigger too, a 5 ton machine.

jplawnmaint
05-31-2011, 11:23 PM
how was dealing with AGMG this past winter? I have heard mixed reviews from this past winter and I'm wondering what your experience was like. Nice pics too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guzzo856
06-01-2011, 09:14 AM
first time checking out your thread, looks great. Im 18 and good to see succesfull young ppl on here. I would like to get into doing pavers like you do, it looks great

merrimacmill
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Here are a few pictures from todays work. Got the fire pit in, and the patio about 95%.

RLS24
06-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Colin, are you still doing lawn maintenance, or trying to phase that out and just do installs?

Krafty
06-02-2011, 12:24 AM
How are the tracks on your skid?? I have an almost identical 85xt... I love the machine but man is it pretty much usless in the mud!!

merrimacmill
06-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Colin, are you still doing lawn maintenance, or trying to phase that out and just do installs?

In terms of maintenance, I've moved to mostly only commercial with hopes of being all commercial. My last resi properties are just the ones that we have done since day 1 of my company.

merrimacmill
06-02-2011, 04:56 PM
How are the tracks on your skid?? I have an almost identical 85xt... I love the machine but man is it pretty much usless in the mud!!

They are ok, they are the Prowler steel tracks with rubber pads. I also am using the airless tires from them. They work pretty good for their intended use. Take about 1/2 hour to put on for the first time. My only complaint is that the tires will spin inside of them sometimes, its never created a problem, but I would just prefer that they didn't.

Also, I feel they rip the site up way worse than regular tires do, but the site I'm on now is ALL clay so I'm dealing with wet/muddy conditions days after a rain event. I tried taking them off onsite because I felt they were tearing the place up too much, but the machine would not even move after that.

jplawnmaint
06-03-2011, 10:11 PM
how was dealing with AGMG this past winter? I have heard mixed reviews from this past winter and I'm wondering what your experience was like. Nice pics too.
Posted via Mobile Device

?
Posted via Mobile Device

MJS
06-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Very nice work, the wall and the patio look awesome!

I put several fire pits just like that last year on an installs, it seems to be the new hip thing to do on patios I guess. Looks great tho.