PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of this price for mulching?

ktfinch2000
04-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I have a large mulching job to price out. I have to spread 20yrds of mulch in multiple large flower beds. My partner and I will be using a small john deer tractor with a small bucket to spread the mulch. All the beds have stone edging and have been cleaned so basically I just have to spread the mulch. I get the mulch for 36yrd delivered. I plan on giving the customer a price of $1250 materials and labor. Is this to low or to high of a price? Thanks in advance.

dcl25
04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
I usually double the price of the mulch times the quanity, that price includes mulch/labor. Hope this helps.

Ramairfreak98ss
04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I usually double the price of the mulch times the quanity, that price includes mulch/labor. Hope this helps.

true, a hair low but $62/yrd you should be fine.

we pay nearly half that for mulch and still get $60+ generally in nj area fyi

LB1234
04-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a large mulching job to price out. I have to spread 20yrds of mulch in multiple large flower beds. My partner and I will be using a small john deer tractor with a small bucket to spread the mulch. All the beds have stone edging and have been cleaned so basically I just have to spread the mulch. I get the mulch for 36yrd delivered. I plan on giving the customer a price of $1250 materials and labor. Is this to low or to high of a price? Thanks in advance.

Mulch than costs me 16 per yard picked up and an additional 50 for delivery I get 70 per yard installed. So, for me your price would be very low at that purchase price. With that said, no one knows your business but yourself and your partner.

running some quick numbers....

$1250 job total, 775 (not sure what tax is in RI) material costs leaves 500 for two people. Assuming no rental fees for the machine or other material costs, 2 man-hour travel time, 10 man hours to spread mulch/cleanup job that would be a total of 40 per man-hour netted. Low IMHO for mulch installation.

ktfinch2000
04-01-2009, 05:34 PM
thanks guys I was thinking to try to do a set price of 60 a yard plus materials and this will include edging and cleanup. Typically I would be spreading by wheel barrel and rake but the customer offered to let us use his tractor if I could take some off the price. I was at $1450 but dropped it due to using the tractor.

LB1234
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM
thanks guys I was thinking to try to do a set price of 60 a yard plus materials and this will include edging and cleanup. Typically I would be spreading by wheel barrel and rake but the customer offered to let us use his tractor if I could take some off the price. I was at $1450 but dropped it due to using the tractor.

u may want to rethink including the cleanup and edging. Edging can be timely depending how you are going to do it and whether or not its been performed in the past. Wouldn't want to see you lose your shorts.

suggestion...be careful of your liabilities utilizing his machine.

FYS777
04-01-2009, 08:49 PM
u may want to rethink including the cleanup and edging. Edging can be timely depending how you are going to do it and whether or not its been performed in the past. Wouldn't want to see you lose your shorts.

suggestion...be careful of your liabilities utilizing his machine.

Yes I would get something in writing about useing the tractor and running it on the lawn, or to that effect. and rethink the edging, man that is a lot of edging???

ktfinch2000
04-01-2009, 11:01 PM
there is actually no edging on this job because all the beds are surrounded by cobble stones. i already did a spring clean up so it would be priced just for putting the mulch down.

FYS777
04-02-2009, 01:57 AM
there is actually no edging on this job because all the beds are surrounded by cobble stones. i already did a spring clean up so it would be priced just for putting the mulch down.

# 5 post you said this would include edgeing and clean up, make up your mind. thanks

ktfinch2000
04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Sorry I was talking about future job pricing @ 60 hour labor, edging, and cleanup.

bigw
04-02-2009, 05:39 PM
wow 20 yds installed for $1250, i should sub you out to do my mulch jobs and sit home and collect the extra $450.00 because i would be at $1700 for that job. I charge $100.00 per yrd installed up to 10 yrds and then i drop to 85 per after 10 but thats me..good luck you shouldnt have a problem landing the job at that price!

yardatwork
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
On average it takes me 1.5 hours to spread 1 yard of mulch. That's pitch forking it into a wheelbarrow, walking to the beds, and dumping/pitching/spreading it in the bed. I would charge $1200-$1400 just for labor on 20 yards of mulch.

ktfinch2000
04-02-2009, 09:12 PM
thanks for the help guys

LB1234
04-02-2009, 11:27 PM
On average it takes me 1.5 hours to spread 1 yard of mulch. That's pitch forking it into a wheelbarrow, walking to the beds, and dumping/pitching/spreading it in the bed. I would charge $1200-$1400 just for labor on 20 yards of mulch.

So sometimes it takes you longer than an hour and half to spread one cubic yard of mulch? Thats a really, really long time. Why so much time? I would think that you should easily be taking you less than 1hr per yard by hand.

borwicks
04-03-2009, 12:34 AM
What a great question....I think today Iam going to bid all mulch jobs at $125 installed. I have no idea what my operating cost is so I ll charge that and hope Its ok....really....you need to know your operating cost, how much you or your helps time is worth, profit margin, etc.....

yardatwork
04-03-2009, 08:59 AM
This is just an overall average. We do some places in under and hour, but some place we have to park curbside and walk a good distance to the mulch beds, some beds have a good deal of shrubs throughout, or lots of annuals that take time to spread mulch around. Spreading a yard of mulch that is sitting beside the bed...easily an hour or less, but there are other variables to factor in when figuring out the overall time.

FYS777
04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
depends on what type of bark mulch you are spreading to, here if its above 7 yards I'll call the bark blower truck in, lots cheaper for customer and less hassle for me.

borwicks
04-03-2009, 02:31 PM
My dump trailer will hold 20-22 yards of mulch. Dyed Mulch runs $24 per yard plus tax. I get enough jobs lined up or 1 big job make one trip to the yard. round trip to yard and 1st job site including load time no more than 1 hour.
I just did a bid for a HOA doing the strip out on the street. will take right at 20 yards. It can be done with no wheel barrow, we can drive along the strip and pitch it out.

I did this 2 years ago with out my dump trailer took 4 trips to the yard....and all day. 8.5 hours. Took 30 yards total. I bid the job at $1850 gross. I had $770.40 in material cost, labor cost was $120, my other costs were around $85.

Today I turned in the bid at $$$$what do you think same cost on materials...

borwicks
04-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Sorry the last line was not clear. what do you think I would have turned the bid in at today? Using 20 yards instead of 30 ,,,,the first time it was bare ground, this is a recover.

Holleys Landscaping
04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Mulch than costs me 16 per yard picked up and an additional 50 for delivery I get 70 per yard installed. So, for me your price would be very low at that purchase price. With that said, no one knows your business but yourself and your partner.

running some quick numbers....

$1250 job total, 775 (not sure what tax is in RI) material costs leaves 500 for two people. Assuming no rental fees for the machine or other material costs, 2 man-hour travel time, 10 man hours to spread mulch/cleanup job that would be a total of 40 per man-hour netted. Low IMHO for mulch installation.

How much are you paying for mulch! $770 seems way too high. I get it for $16.50/yd and @ 20yds that would be $330 not $770! Correct me if im wrong. Thanks

LB1234
04-05-2009, 09:47 PM
How much are you paying for mulch! $770 seems way too high. I get it for $16.50/yd and @ 20yds that would be $330 not $770! Correct me if im wrong. Thanks

read the original posters comments...those are the numbers I was attempting to run to help show he may be undercharging...again I'm making assumptions here. He said mulch cost him "36yd delivered" Well...twenty yards multiplied by 36 dollars per yard and an assumed 7% state sales tax (that's here in jersey) would give you $770.40 total.

Agreed, that price per yard is high of course assuming its not cedar mulch...that is some expensive mulch.

Holleys Landscaping
04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
read the original posters comments...those are the numbers I was attempting to run to help show he may be undercharging...again I'm making assumptions here. He said mulch cost him "36yd delivered" Well...twenty yards multiplied by 36 dollars per yard and an assumed 7% state sales tax (that's here in jersey) would give you $770.40 total.

Agreed, that price per yard is high of course assuming its not cedar mulch...that is some expensive mulch.

I missed that about the $36/yd. Your calculations seem right now. But he really needs to find a different supplier for his mulch.

jay albers
04-05-2009, 10:35 PM
im in the pocono area andthe cheapest i can find is 25.50 a yard. Any ideas how to get pine mulch up here? Id be the only guy in town with it! But can't crunch the numbers to go to fl and get it.

LB1234
04-06-2009, 12:40 AM
im in the pocono area andthe cheapest i can find is 25.50 a yard. Any ideas how to get pine mulch up here? Id be the only guy in town with it! But can't crunch the numbers to go to fl and get it.

You can have it for free from some of my clients. Just come in and rake out there lawns/landscape beds every few weeks in the fall and spring.

FYS777
04-06-2009, 01:10 AM

are you talking pine straw, I rake up and take to dump about 40 yards of needles in the spring and same in fall clean-ups, wont some come get um.....:laugh::laugh: