PDA

View Full Version : how much air?

flatlander42
04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
How much air do you think it would take to run this to full length? Like...how big of an air tank?

I have no expirence with something like this, so any help is appriciated!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/14430806_lg.gif

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200349249_200349249

thanks for any info!

CrystalCreek
04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Typically it is not Volume, but PSI. These jacks only use a few cubic feet, but about 150 PSI. Hope this helps.

flatlander42
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks.

I have used air jacks in the shop I worked at years ago, and it seemed like it would burst after every "pump". And I don't remember what kind of psi we were running. That is kinda why I was thinking volume.

Thanks,
Nathan

CrystalCreek
04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Shop jacks as in Truck lifts??? Those use a TON of air. These little bottle jacks do not use as much as those big lifts. Good luck. May I ask what you idea is. I am intrested in knowing.:usflag:

Gravel Rat
04-01-2009, 08:08 PM
CC is right those air jacks require pressure. Essentially the air pressure pushes a plunger that replaces the jack handle.

That air powered long extension jack is usually a replacement on a engine hoists from a manual jack to a air operated jack for a person removing a engine themselves. They can have the air toggle switch in their hand to lift the engine while the other hand wiggles and guides the engine out.

flatlander42
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Well here is my Idea.....

I want to make the front of my trailer dump to the side. I use a Navigator.....and dump the clippings from it on the trailer and scoop it off when needed. And I am getting tired of scooping.

I do not want a normal hyd cylinder and pump with a motor...to much $$

and this cylinder is good for 8ton-waaaay more than enough.

I was thinking I could use a few large air bombs/tanks....but I dont know if it would even be a good idea or not.

That is where my thinking is!

Am I thinking in the WRONG direction?

Thanks

Nathan

Gravel Rat
04-01-2009, 09:17 PM
That idea really isn't going to work the jack won't have enough stroke and your air supply is too small.

flatlander42
04-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Not talking about air supply for a second, I think the 20" of stroke should be plenty...would get it close to a 45degree angle...remember I'm talking about dumping to the side.

I would go and look at my dads grain truck, and kinda scale it down to what size I would need.

How much stroke does a dump trailer/grain truck ect. have?

I am asking these questions to learn, so ANY info is appriciated!
Then I would just have to figure out the air supply, or buy an old log splitter!
Thanks A LOT!

Nathan

hondarancher4435
04-12-2009, 12:22 AM
just put an onboard 12v compressor hooked up to like a 20 gallon tank. i think you have a great idea going and i have thought of the same before. or to make it really easy just get a hydralic ram and just use a hand pump for it.

flatlander42
04-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks Hondarancher...

I still think it is a good idea!
But this spring I am gonna keep my eyes open for a old used log splitter for cheap....that way may end up being cheaper and faster!

Nathan