PDA

View Full Version : Is there a landscaper spanish/english translation guide.

shovelracer
04-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I am looking to brush up on some spanish as 4 years of it in school are long gone. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good translation guide that relates to the green industry. Simple commands and such like, blow the leaves to the woods, grab the rake, place the mulch, etc. Thanks

joshco84
04-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I would make english a prerequisite.

shovelracer
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
If only it were that easy. That would eliminate 35 million people from being potential employees. I will say what I say to my clients when they mention similar things. I would be a heck of a lot more concerned about a the 30 year old american who is OK with $10/hr than I would be about the spanish speaking resident alien running circles around him. Seems there is some sort of relationship to english and laziness and spanish and desire to work. Seriously I dont hire illegals, everyone I hire must be able to speak at least some english. There are times where it would be handy though to speak better spanish. Without turning this into another off topic conversation, about being a pure blooded redneck gasoline drinking american, does something like this exist?

joshco84
04-02-2009, 12:35 AM
I honestly dont know if there is, sorry for the remark.

JDUtah
04-02-2009, 12:50 AM
we live in the USA.. the national language IS english.. we pay enough taxes to teach EVERYONE english... I only hire english speakers.

CALandscapes
04-02-2009, 01:41 AM
One of my English speaking employees has a book called something like "The Contractor's Guide to Spanish."

I'll try to remember to ask him the correct title and where he got it from. If I had to guess, I'd say he got it from HD, Lowe's, or somewhere like Barnes & Noble.

MarkintheGarden
04-02-2009, 01:44 AM
I am looking to brush up on some spanish as 4 years of it in school are long gone. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good translation guide that relates to the green industry. Simple commands and such like, blow the leaves to the woods, grab the rake, place the mulch, etc. Thanks

Yes, there is "Spanish phrases for landscaping professionals" by Jason holben and Dominic Arbini, ISBN0-9659717-1-6.

The ISBN # is all you need to find it. I bought it online, but do not remember where. It helps, but there is a lot of variation in what terms spanish speaking people use.

Adios amigo

bohiaa
04-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Are you going to purchase this book for all your Customers ?

HOOLIE
04-02-2009, 09:11 AM
we live in the USA.. the national language IS english.. we pay enough taxes to teach EVERYONE english... I only hire english speakers.

Isn't Utah like 99.8% white or close to it? :laugh: Probably not much of an issue for you. Around here it helps if you can "comprende".

MarkintheGarden
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM

The English language is an outsourced derivative of latin that was imported from England, this is America where we should speak our native language.

All the tax money in the world does not change the fact that the human race is made up of many cultures who speak various tongues.

wbw
04-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Be able to understand and speak spanish is an asset. You can live your life talking about "how things should be" or act upon how things really are. I mean no offense to the people in the mid west (I grew up there), but you have no idea what the labor market is in other areas of the country. Additionally you should take a serious hard look at the data. I don't have the numbers in front of me but if you search them out I think you will be amazed at the number of Hispanics in the USA today vs. 2000 vs. 1990 vs. 1980. Also look at the future projections. I think you will be shocked. Learning to speak spanish is no different than acquiring any other skill to improve your business and give you an advantage.

joshco84
04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Are you going to purchase this book for all your Customers ?

Bingo, maybe a homeowners guide to communicating with your landscape company.

lawnangel1
04-02-2009, 11:49 AM
We got one for free from treegator back when we ordered a bunch of bags. It comes in really handy.

shovelracer
04-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Bingo, maybe a homeowners guide to communicating with your landscape company.

They only need to know one phrase. "Thanks for the hard work, here's your money."

MyLawnBiz
04-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Google has an excellent FREE translation tool - http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

I use it ALL THE TIME. Schedules are printed in English and Spanish. I use it to send text messages to Spanish speakers. It works great!

ozarkearthworks
04-06-2009, 10:44 AM
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

wurkn with amish
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Am Leonard has some made by tree gator--- pretty much any phrase you can think of English to Spanish and vice versa.

SouthernLandscapeMgtAB
04-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Great question. This is a critical skill to develop; especially in our industry. Below are two resources that I looking into using. Anyone had any luck with the CDROM programs like Rosetta Stone (http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=austinbrcom-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B001AFFZM2&md=10FE9736YVPPT7A0FBG2&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr)?

Workplace Spanish for Home Builders & Contractors (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1930134134?ie=UTF8&tag=austinbrcom-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=1930134134)

Just Point and Communicate! for General Contractors Builders and Supervisors: The New English/Spanish Communication Tool for the Workplace (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1585810061?ie=UTF8&tag=austinbrcom-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1585810061)

IN2MOWN
04-10-2009, 09:24 AM

To bad its not the official language.

Times are changing. My 6 year old son is being taught basic spanish words in Kindergarten already.

I never took it till I got to highschool.

As far as the original question goes...have you thought about buying Rosetta Stone? If you took 4 years of it then you should be able to catch on again pretty quick with a good program like that.

EagleLandscape
04-10-2009, 08:47 PM
"Spanish Phrases For the Landscaping Professionals"

by: Jason Holben and Dominic Arbini (you can buy this book through PLANET).

I keep the thing in my truck and read it when I can.

or...

www.freetranslation.com

Kicik your Grass
04-11-2009, 12:04 AM
143908 backhoe

143909bobcat

TPnTX
04-18-2009, 09:33 AM
I got one from the local equipment dealer. They have an online company you may be familiar with www.mowpart.com
call the number on that ws and ask them to see if they have any at the brick/mortar sales counter. Maybe they will sell you one through the .com

its a good book and has a tutorial for speaking spanish. I still suck at it.

Metro Lawn
04-19-2009, 03:01 PM
LOL You no habla english... you no worka for me!!!!!

MOWPART_SCOTT
04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Click here. http://www.mowpart.com/p415971/Spanish-phrases-for-landscapers/product_info.html :drinkup:

Lawnworks
04-23-2009, 11:45 PM
They only need to know one phrase. "Thanks for the hard work, here's your money."

I like it! It is frustrating having a spanish speaking crew leader. Learning spanish is an invaluable asset in this industry. Spanish one of the few things I halfway learned in highschool that I use everyday.

Stillwater
04-24-2009, 02:16 AM
I like it! It is frustrating having a spanish speaking crew leader. Learning spanish is an invaluable asset in this industry. Spanish one of the few things I halfway learned in highschool that I use everyday.

Invaluable asset? not where I am, and I would never have hired a non English speaking crew leader, come on,,, that's ******ed period. While a bilingual crew leader well that is smart. moreover I require spoken English and have made absolutely no exceptions since 1979 I will not tolerate a language spoken I do not understand on my job sites by people employed by me.

?Question? Why do you higher people you can't understand especially a key man like a crew leader you should at min require a 75% understanding of English by a key man like a crew leader for the sake of safety.

?Question? Why is HE not learning English? Where is HIS English book?

TPnTX
04-25-2009, 10:00 AM
"eh man are you highering"

what is that phonics? lol gest goking with you.

MOWPART_SCOTT
04-27-2009, 05:07 PM
I would love to comment but hey... I cant! all i can say is...:usflag: the book is just something we ran across and have it for sale to anyone who maybe interested... and from what i have heard its a really good book. But your right where is his english book?

P.S.
Huct on Fonix wurked fer me!:drinkup:

txgrassguy
04-27-2009, 08:07 PM

Glad to see you paid attention in school.
The USA has neither a national language nor an official language.
What the USA has is a assemblage of these several states wherein English is the PRIMARY spoken and written language.
The fact that you only hire English speaking employees may actually constitute discrimination if you are not careful should you have a State or Federal contract.
I'd suggest perusing the US Dept of Labor's website.
Or not - after all it is a free country. For how much longer I don't know.

About the translation guide, the one poster who mentioned the translation service through the internet seems to work for my secretary.
As for me I picked up enough Spanish to be fairly communicative although I'll look for the AM Leonard guide - that sounds like a helpful tool.