PDA

View Full Version : Current job and close call with Copperhead.

sandman23
04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Job includes: remove English Ivy from bank, remove rock from beds, install 9 Azaleas and 7 Holly's, Mulch beds, Pinestraw banks, clean property.

Got the Ivy and the rock removed today. When removing the Ivy, we were raking it down the bank and loading it into a wheelbarrow. We found 2 small Brown Snakes maybe 6 or 8 inches and a Black Widow. We played with the small snakes for a few minutes and got back to work. I grabbed a arm full of Ivy and felt something move. I nearly crapped myself and am still a little weirded out by what I was holding. Check it out. A 2 foot Copperhead. Sorry for the snake lovers but we had to kill this one.

The Elements Group
04-01-2009, 09:28 PM
you were fortunate...count your blessings.. Copperhead is a little tougher meat than rattlesnakes ...(seriously)..... i am always a little freaked out when ppl want ivy cleared,
good luck

KrayzKajun
04-01-2009, 09:33 PM
just another day in the life of a landscaper!!

cgaengineer
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Wuss! I caught this one in our neighborhood while walking with my wife. I released him a a local State Park. This catch was on my terms.

sandman23
04-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Wuss! I caught this one in our neighborhood while walking with my wife. I released him a a local State Park. This catch was on my terms.

I guess I am a wuss. I would rather be a wuss and be able to come home to my baby boy than to look like this. This is the result of a Copperhead bite.

cgaengineer
04-01-2009, 09:56 PM
I guess I am a wuss. I would rather be a wuss and be able to come home to my baby boy than to look like this. This is the result of a Copperhead bite.

It was a joke Sandman, thats why I mentioned it was on my terms...no surprises.

sandman23
04-01-2009, 10:11 PM
No prob, just still freaked out about it. I was actually cradling that thing and now have a bad case of heebie jeebies. You are brave. You must have experience handling snakes. Most of the time they don't really bother me but this one got to me.

cgaengineer
04-01-2009, 10:20 PM
No prob, just still freaked out about it. I was actually cradling that thing and now have a bad case of heebie jeebies. You are brave. You must have experience handling snakes. Most of the time they don't really bother me but this one got to me.

I have always handled snakes, I will tell you that my heart was beating when I picked this one up and that I was very cautious. I wont lie and say I was being a badass because I was not, I was simply doing what my father taught me to do at a young age and that was handle snakes carefully and their identification.

I chose to remove him from our area since I knew he would have ended up killed anyway...too many people, houses and mowers around here. Its been a long time since I have seen a poisonous snake around here...even when working as a land surveyor out in the field I rarely saw them. When I was doing NPDES monitoring for our company I would see them from time to time, but 95% of what I saw was non-poisonous, even in swamps.

kirk1701
04-02-2009, 12:34 AM
We'll, was winding down getting ready for bed and should have just stayed out of this tread. :dizzy:

Now I too got the heebie jeebies just from seeing the pics and if I went to bed now I would feel something crawling on me under the covers. :confused:

Needless to say I hate them things.