PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bed Edger or New Brown Bed Redefiner?

Going Commercial
04-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I am looking for opinions from people who have used the new brown bed redefiner machine that came out in late 2008. This is a new machine, NOT the original full size bed edger with a redefining rotor blade. This machine is about 90 lbs and sells for about $1500 compared to the full size bed edger that sells for $2300.

I was supposed to demo this redefiner today but the distributor who sells them to the local dealers stiffed me today. No dealers have the redefiner in stock yet. Thank you!

bam
04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
the redefiner is a good machine. a few years back we ran the bigger, more cumbersome edgers, they created alot of mess, and were a pain to maintain.

last year we started using the redefiner. It works well on most sites, cutting a nice crisp edge. Once you get the hang of it, there is little debris leftover, considerably less than running a "big" edger.

Brown also builds a strong machine. It has double belts to engage the blade and the frame is strong and durable.

Pro-Lawn Landscape
04-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Bam,

Will the redefiner still work in creating new beds? I know a guy selling the a Brown 781 because he replaced it with the new Brown Redefiner. I was initially leaning towards the BlueBird Bed Bug, but was discouraged when I found out it only perform edging and cable trenching for invisible pet fences. I was interested in the 781 cause it is not as big as 991 but is more versatile in it's capabilities (tree stump grinder) etc. Can you please share your expertise and recommendation. I saw a member post pictures of the "redefinition of an existing bed edge" done by him soon after he purchased it, and I was not impressed, My Half-Moon Spade/Edger does better than that, but it is obviously more labor intensive. Can anyone advise their thoughts???

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Trenchblade
04-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Bam,

Will the redefiner still work in creating new beds? I know a guy selling the a Brown 781 because he replaced it with the new Brown Redefiner. I was initially leaning towards the BlueBird Bed Bug, but was discouraged when I found out it only perform edging and cable trenching for invisible pet fences. I was interested in the 781 cause it is not as big as 991 but is more versatile in it's capabilities (tree stump grinder) etc. Can you please share your expertise and recommendation. I saw a member post pictures of the "redefinition of an existing bed edge" done by him soon after he purchased it, and I was not impressed, My Half-Moon Spade/Edger does better than that, but it is obviously more labor intensive. Can anyone advise their thoughts???

Thanks in advance for any responses!

you guys should check out The Trenchblade before you drop the cash on a dedicated bed edging machine.

addictedtolandscaping
04-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I saw the redefiner last week when I picked up my new 991. It isn;t a bad looking machine, has very similar design but is significantly lighter. You are able to stand up and consistently see what you are working on, not leaning back so much.

1wezil
04-02-2009, 12:17 PM
:waving::):waving::)

fordnut
04-02-2009, 06:12 PM
need to check out the echo bed redefiner I got one about a month ago. works just like a big machine. A lot cheaper than a big machine,600.00.

Going Commercial
04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I got to demo the machine today. Besides it being brand new, the machine kept stalling constantly even when idling. I was not impressed with it even when we got it to run. I will be checking out the full size bed edger soon. The rep only had the redefiner, which he did not know how to run.

addictedtolandscaping
04-02-2009, 09:58 PM
The Bed Edger 991 left over from last year just cost me 2160 out the door.

1wezil
04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Does anybody have a picture of the redefiner ?:clapping:

Going Commercial
04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Addicted, where did you buy your 991 from? I would probably go with the 781 if they had one.