PDA

View Full Version : Updated- Help ASAP!

MC Handy Man
04-02-2009, 01:58 AM
I have a big job, I need your advice.

I have the opportunity to clean parking lots. The lots are in apartment complexes that are operated under a real estate management company. They are located here in Minnesota. There are about 25 lots. I am unable to visit each lot and see their dimensions and degree of debris. The properties are spread across Minnesota and there is one in North Dakota. Most locations contain 2-5 of the properties within a half hour drive. But again the locations are spread across the state. The lots will also have to be striped. I own one BR600 back pack blower at this point. I will either have to rent a stripper or the real estate company will buy one and I will use it.

I will have one other guy with me and I will pay him at $10.00 an hour. I have a trailer that I will load the debris into. I will have lodging to look at as well. I am setting all my work to be done within two weeks of the start date. I will have housing for 3 of the nights. Not knowing what the sizes of all these lots are I am thinking about a flat rate of $235 a lot.

$235x25lots= $5875

Am I selling myself short? I am a college student and at this point $5875 looks damn good. Grant it after the overhead this amount will go down.

I would like to get this job, maybe it is to high?
I know this is a really big job and I am a small operation.

If I get this job, I will have other opportunities with them in the future.

so please, please help me with this. I need help with my bid and equipment I should be using. Give me any advice possible.

Thank you for your time, Marcus:drinkup:

newtostone
04-02-2009, 02:41 AM
I dont do lots but I think your very low just what my gut is telling me. How can you even come up with a number when you dont know how large the lots are? The company has all this info. and if they tell you they dont they are trying to take you.

keepcuttin
04-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Seems way too low..

1. Will need at least a walkbehind blower to go with BP
2. How long will it take you to do each lot?
3. any disposal fees?
4. how much paint will you need?

You need to figure out what your costs will be and how much you need per hour. Will this lead to more work from this company?

Dont let that figure make you think you would be rich, you could end working for $8 an hour when it is all said and done, know your costs... good luck

Isobel
04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I would never give an estimate without seeing every property. Even if they are spread out all over the place. Take a day or two off and go see them.

MC Handy Man
04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I am going to pulp up the properties on Google earth and speak with the client about other factors. By push behind are you speaking of a billy goat blower?

Is it ever common for a contractor to ask for a deposit? My funds are limited at this point and I would Rather buy than rent any equipment, the stripper I believe I will just rent though.

This is my first large job. I have done two parking lots before and the lines only needed some touching up so I simply used an erousal stripper stripper. Do you think I should just invest in a commercial stripper? I could see growing this service over the next few years.

Give me some more advice!!!!!

Isobel
04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Absolutely ask for a deposit! We usually go with a 35% deposit, but some contactors go as high as 50%.

I wouldn't invest in anything yet. see how this project goes, and if they are interested in a yearly contract.

fyi: A Striper is used for parking lot lines. A Stripper you pay for at the end of the day... :drinkup:

MC Handy Man
04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Absolutely ask for a deposit! We usually go with a 35% deposit, but some contactors go as high as 50%.

I wouldn't invest in anything yet. see how this project goes, and if they are interested in a yearly contract.

fyi: A Striper is used for parking lot lines. A Stripper you pay for at the end of the day... :drinkup:

Alright, so I should ask for at least 35% deposit.

Could you possibly expand on the FYI point? I don't quite understand this. Thank you

Isobel
04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
the fyi point is to correct a misspelling you made a few times.

ask for a deposit that wil cover your material costs, as well as some of your labor. For me, i've found 35% works well. What works for you depends on your expenses.

MC Handy Man
04-02-2009, 05:05 PM
the fyi point is to correct a misspelling you made a few times.

ask for a deposit that wil cover your material costs, as well as some of your labor. For me, i've found 35% works well. What works for you depends on your expenses.

LOL man that is one of the few times I have ever actually laughed my azz off online. LOL man I get it now... A stripper is what I buy at the end of the day lol. Ok striping- for the use of painting lines in a parking lot:laugh:

Isobel
04-02-2009, 05:17 PM
LOL man that is one of the few times I have ever actually laughed my azz off online. LOL man I get it now... A stripper is what I buy at the end of the day lol. Ok striping- for the use of painting lines in a parking lot:laugh:

awesome! glad you got it :laugh: