PDA

View Full Version : Think I killed the lawn

kirk1701
04-02-2009, 11:45 PM
HELP!
My beautiful lawn I seemed to have just FUBARED big time and hoping someone can tell me if this is permanent.

I sprayed the side of the yard using Spectracide Weed Stop® plus crabgrass killer to control crabgrass, mint and chick weeds coming up in new grass. By new grass I mean I planted last November, mowed last nov. and mowed 4 times so far this spring so its new to me but matured.

I used this Weed Stop last year, same bottle in fact and it didn't do this so now I'm scared I killed the lawn. Here's a pic but I will also note I sprayed along the street and up the driveway where weed seed from other yards have blown and there is no damage or yellowing in that area so whats the deal?

yardatwork
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Have you checked for grubs or high acid...I see a pine tree off to the right of that pic. Maybe you need to lime the yard?

kirk1701
04-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Have you checked for grubs or high acid...I see a pine tree off to the right of that pic. Maybe you need to lime the yard?

Not grub, I put down grub control two weeks ago to deter moles. As for acid, LOL you probably better see my fertilizer thread it turned into an argument over all the lime I applied.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=256595&page=2

kirk1701
04-03-2009, 05:04 PM
OK I got some better pics for everyone today, it don't look as bad this afternoon then it did last night, but we did get two inches of rain overnight :)

It is pretty clear from the closeups the Spectracide Weed Stop has burned more then just weeds, Even the grass that is seeding is brown :confused:

And to think this is the area I literally worked my ass off blood sweat and tears last fall to get looking this great and now I'm afraid I destroyed it all in one hour :dizzy:

Any advice would be appreciated and could this had been caused by applying hours after I mowed?

kirk1701
04-03-2009, 05:05 PM
More pic's.
These are wider views and in the second pic is a very distinct line where I stopped.

yardatwork
04-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Ok...so maybe there was just too much fertilize. Since the rain seemed to help, I would be that the fertilize was the problem. With more rain and cutting, you're yard will probably get back to its old self.

You should have done your fertilizing in the morning when there was a dew still on the grass or do it right before a rain. You want the fertilizer to get into the soil, not to stay of the grass itself. If you applied in the hot of the day, you could burn the yard.

kirk1701
04-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Ok...so maybe there was just too much fertilize. Since the rain seemed to help, I would be that the fertilize was the problem. With more rain and cutting, you're yard will probably get back to its old self.

Thats just it, the Spectracide Weed Stop is a weed killer only not fertilizer?

kirk1701
04-03-2009, 06:07 PM
UPDATE!
I just got off the phone with Spectracide who said I should be OK. :cool:

Can you tell I'm worried? :) Anyhow I was told a little yellowing was fine, was asked how long it has been since it came out of dormant and said for me to water 15 minutes a day for the next couple a days and if it don't get any better by next Friday to call back and they would set up a claim. :confused:

Sice we just got 2" last night and more rain on the way plus some snow I don't think I need to pull out a water hose.

One things for sure, next time I use it I will cut the recomended mixture in half. Stretch the bottle twice as far too

kirk1701
04-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Another question for you all, this just caught my attention and shown in the pics above.

The grass is seeding and the majority of what seems to be turning brown is the stems to the seed and the blades of grass on the stems and the seed itself so would the seed be concidered weed not fescue?

Maybe I put this down too early?

joshua
04-03-2009, 11:37 PM
looks like you can shapen your blade.

foreplease
04-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Kirk, how about posting a picture of your sprayer. A photo showing the target weeds would be helpful too.

kirk1701
04-04-2009, 12:28 AM
looks like you can shapen your blade.

Oh I assure you the blade is razor sharp :)

Runner
04-04-2009, 12:39 AM
I was going to say the same thing about the sharpening of the blade. If your blade is razor sharp, it is the only razor sharp blade I've ever seen in my entire life that produces a cut like this. These shredded tips and torn edges on the ends of the blades are not from chemical burn...they are from tearing and ripping. Is your mower running at a decent rpm?
is

kirk1701
04-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Kirk, how about posting a picture of your sprayer. A photo showing the target weeds would be helpful too.
The sprayer is just one of the cheap Ortho Roundup Heavy Duty 2 Gallon Sprayers. Note, never had round-up in this just insecticide's, fruit spray and weed killer then is washed out.

Yea I can get some shots of the target weed tomorrow before I cut if I remember, LOL. Mostly crabgrass and mint

I was going to say the same thing about the sharpening of the blade. If your blade is razor sharp, it is the only razor sharp blade I've ever seen in my entire life that produces a cut like this. These shredded tips and torn edges on the ends of the blades are not from chemical burn...they are from tearing and ripping. Is your mower running at a decent rpm?
is

Yea, mower was just tuned up and idle speed was adjusted middle of last year when the carb was flushed and cleaned. Runs great but it is a 20 year old John deere walk behind.

Might add the blade was sharpened and balanced by a local repair shop not home done by me. I do believe things like that need to be precise and done by trained professionals.

So what could be causing the tearing?

White Gardens
04-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Another question for you all, this just caught my attention and shown in the pics above.

The grass is seeding and the majority of what seems to be turning brown is the stems to the seed and the blades of grass on the stems and the seed itself so would the seed be concidered weed not fescue?

Maybe I put this down too early?

That is perenial rye-grass that is seeding itself. It's not a weed. I have a feeling the rye is what is yellowing, can't say for sure though.

Regardless the yard looks to be in overall good condition and should pull through in the next couple of weeks, especially when the rye is gone for the year. Rye-grass does yellow out some as it matures in the spring, but usually I never notice it like this.

GracesLandscaping
04-04-2009, 02:49 AM
i dont think your blade is razor sharp.... if it was, the tops of the grass wouldnt be "browned" as they are, they would be clean crisp and green!

kirk1701
04-04-2009, 12:39 PM
That is perenial rye-grass that is seeding itself. It's not a weed. I have a feeling the rye is what is yellowing, can't say for sure though.

Regardless the yard looks to be in overall good condition and should pull through in the next couple of weeks, especially when the rye is gone for the year. Rye-grass does yellow out some as it matures in the spring, but usually I never notice it like this.
Think your on to something White Gardens, just got up a little while ago, looked out the front window and like uhhh WOW.
The grass is not fully recovered but I will say I see a 75% positive & noticible difference:)

i dont think your blade is razor sharp.... if it was, the tops of the grass wouldnt be "browned" as they are, they would be clean crisp and green!

OK let me throw this out for yu, the blade is sharp I just had it done this month and the yard is rock free so I'm not hitting any stone. However, when I stop to empty the bag of grass, put my hand down the shoot to pull up what grass didn't make it to the bag I have noticed the blade is vibrating while idling, don't know how else to describe it. The mower is idle and the blade is not moving but it jumps up and down so fast if you hit your knuckle against it while grabbing the grass you will cut your knuckle or fingernail. Any thoughts?

kirk1701
04-04-2009, 07:08 PM
As promised, here are a few pics after I cut today. Seems like it grew just as much as any other cutting so I gotta say, dead grass don't grow :)

Still a noticible difference but you really have to look for it and know its there to see it. Someone driving down the road would never see it unless they knew.

The first pic is looking up the hill from the street and this whole area was treated.

Second pic, a view from the front where you can see the area that was treated compared with the grass to the left side of the tree was not treated.

Third pic, a close up of the weeds turning brown and also notice, no tearing in the grass?

Fourth pic, still some browning around the tree

More pics to come

kirk1701
04-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Ok here we have some wider angles of the front and side to compare the treated area to the area that wasn't treated.

The first pic, taked from standing in the treated area looking out toward the street that was not treated. As noted, not much difference anymore unless your looking and the line where treated area is at the bottom and stops at the first tree.

The second pic, taken from porch looking down to the trated area.

I really do think I'm in the clear? Opinions please.

grassman177
04-04-2009, 09:22 PM
grub control now??? THEY ARE NOT EVEN FEEDING FOR LIKE AT LEAST A MONTH AND A HALF. dont waste insecticide and do uneeded apps. you will be fine and your turf will outgrow the damage.

kirk1701
04-05-2009, 12:37 AM

Look at the latest pics just above GracesLandscaping
You will notice in the close up no rips or tears in the grass and its a nice crisp cut. Mower is just as it was left from last time I cut no changes made but guarantee you I can look at this same area in a few days and you will see the rip and tearing of the end of the grass blades. :confused:

Anyway, picture shows its not the mower, but again I'll listen to any recommendations and suggestions.

bigslick7878
04-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Look at the latest pics just above GracesLandscaping
You will notice in the close up no rips or tears in the grass and its a nice crisp cut. Mower is just as it was left from last time I cut no changes made but guarantee you I can look at this same area in a few days and you will see the rip and tearing of the end of the grass blades. :confused:

Anyway, picture shows its not the mower, but again I'll listen to any recommendations and suggestions.

Dude the lawn looks spectacular,grab a beer and pull up a chair and enjoy it rather than worrying over nothing.

When you sprayed the weeds you just went a little heavy in some spots,no big deal.

The grass will recover in due time after a few rains and growth.

kirk1701
04-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Dude the lawn looks spectacular,grab a beer and pull up a chair and enjoy it rather than worrying over nothing.

When you sprayed the weeds you just went a little heavy in some spots,no big deal.

The grass will recover in due time after a few rains and growth.

Thanks bigslick7878, yea its even looking better today then yesterdays pics and we have tornado warning in effect now which actually just spells RAIN to me :)

bigslick7878
04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks bigslick7878, yea its even looking better today then yesterdays pics and we have tornado warning in effect now which actually just spells RAIN to me :)

Yeah that big storm is coming our way here in Maryland too,Im glad because we need it.

kirk1701
04-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah that big storm is coming our way here in Maryland too,Im glad because we need it.

Actually we don't need it right now, wish I could take a rain check on this storm and cash it in sometime in July :laugh:

We just had a great soaking overnight rain last Thursday into Friday.

But hey, I'll take it all the same anytime we can get it.

lawns Etc
04-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Talk about someone having too much time on their hands. Glad your not my customer.

kirk1701
04-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Talk about someone having too much time on their hands. Glad your not my customer.

You don't understand the weather pattern here. After mid May our chances of rain decrease 50% till November.

kirk1701
04-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Hey all, thanks for the help here so just thought I'd post a conclusion to this story.

As bigslick7878 already hinted at above, I think I went a little heavy EVERYWHERE not just in spots. Reason I believe this is because I bought a new 4 gallon sprayer, the backpack kind with the dial inside you adjust the PSI and we'll guess what? The side has recovered so nicely I decided to (after I cut today) to treat the rest of the front yard. We'll with the old 2 gallon hand held sprayer it took at least 3 refills (6 gallon) just for the side :confused:
The new 4 gallon sprayer I filled one time and made 4 gallon which did the entire front plus the other side of the house (which is a small island) plus I had enough left to spot treat the back yard all with just 4 gallon :clapping:
Time will tell, but Maybe the reasoning for the yellowing in the first application was due to putting on to thick, maybe I didn’t apply enough this time and won’t see any results. Maybe now we can up the ratio back to 3 oz per gallon or maybe I need to apply it thicker by going slower?

Anyhow, since I went ahead and sprayed the rest of the front you can all asume the side did recover :laugh:
Area is still growing, growing just as much or more as the front yard and is weed free. No disappointing after effects to report and wouldn’t hesitate to repeat this application if needed. I did remember it worked great last season and how it got its name “Old Faithful”.:weightlifter:

hole in one lco
04-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey all, thanks for the help here so just thought I'd post a conclusion to this story.

As bigslick7878 already hinted at above, I think I went a little heavy EVERYWHERE not just in spots. Reason I believe this is because I bought a new 4 gallon sprayer, the backpack kind with the dial inside you adjust the PSI and we'll guess what? The side has recovered so nicely I decided to (after I cut today) to treat the rest of the front yard. We'll with the old 2 gallon hand held sprayer it took at least 3 refills (6 gallon) just for the side :confused:
The new 4 gallon sprayer I filled one time and made 4 gallon which did the entire front plus the other side of the house (which is a small island) plus I had enough left to spot treat the back yard all with just 4 gallon :clapping:
Time will tell, but Maybe the reasoning for the yellowing in the first application was due to putting on to thick, maybe I didn’t apply enough this time and won’t see any results. Maybe now we can up the ratio back to 3 oz per gallon or maybe I need to apply it thicker by going slower?

Anyhow, since I went ahead and sprayed the rest of the front you can all asume the side did recover :laugh:
Area is still growing, growing just as much or more as the front yard and is weed free. No disappointing after effects to report and wouldn’t hesitate to repeat this application if needed. I did remember it worked great last season and how it got its name “Old Faithful”.:weightlifter:
get a new spray tip for the 2 gal they do go bad you can tell if its spraying or dribbling out

naughty62
04-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Looks like you burned the tops off.mono stands of P.R. can be tough to maintain .short cut it looks patchy ,if let it grow to long you will soon cutting the the tender, lower parts of the stems .This will give it a patchy yellowing look .looks pretty good for a mono stand .A mono stand may require frequent overseeding and high maintaince schedule .Do they have acompanion grasses for P.R. lawns in your part of the woods ?

kirk1701
04-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Looks like you burned the tops off.mono stands of P.R. can be tough to maintain .short cut it looks patchy ,if let it grow to long you will soon cutting the the tender, lower parts of the stems .This will give it a patchy yellowing look .looks pretty good for a mono stand .A mono stand may require frequent overseeding and high maintaince schedule .Do they have acompanion grasses for P.R. lawns in your part of the woods ?

What do you mean by P.R. ???
Not following you there.

Anyhow, guess I planned this just right, Mowed Friday, put down the last fertilizer application afterwords. Saturday I went and bought two bags of Spectracide, Triazicide Insect Killer Granules in hopes of controlling what looks to be ants but after the application I seen Crickets coming out of the grass :rolleyes:

Today were getting a nice slow soaking rain to wash it all in and forecast expecting highs in the 80's by next weekend and I'm done till end of July :walking:

We'll, except for the mowing part that is. :cool2:

david shumaker
04-19-2009, 07:07 PM
UPDATE!
I just got off the phone with Spectracide who said I should be OK. :cool:

Can you tell I'm worried? :) Anyhow I was told a little yellowing was fine, was asked how long it has been since it came out of dormant and said for me to water 15 minutes a day for the next couple a days and if it don't get any better by next Friday to call back and they would set up a claim. :confused:

Sice we just got 2" last night and more rain on the way plus some snow I don't think I need to pull out a water hose.

One things for sure, next time I use it I will cut the recomended mixture in half. Stretch the bottle twice as far too

If you cut the rate in half, it will probably be ineffective. Just follow the instructions on the label.

kirk1701
04-19-2009, 07:18 PM
If you cut the rate in half, it will probably be ineffective. Just follow the instructions on the label.

Instructions on the label were followed, actually I used less per gallon then recomended :)

But anyhow, that part is solved, grass has recovered.

And as for cutting it in half, won't have to as Spectracide has already done it :dizzy:

Just picked up a couple bottles and the recomended ratio is now 5 oz per gallon. Last years bottle (which I used) was 2.5 oz per gallon :confused:

Got to looking and last years bottle has 7.4% 2D-4 and this year it has 3.6 :hammerhead:

Same price as last year, use twice as much this year ;)

naughty62
04-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Your lawn looks like it will come out of it.Go through your lawn and try to determine weither the your lawn has a appropriate mix ratio for your cultural practices and enviornment.I looks like like nice stand ,too much perrenial rye or bluegrass mixed in can leave a yard patchy after it stresses out .I like fescue lawns but ,people have a tendency use too high ratio of companion grass such bluegrass or annual rye.More is not always better and thicker.

foreplease
04-21-2009, 10:54 AM
What do you mean by P.R. ???
...and I'm done till end of July :walking:

We'll, except for the mowing part that is. :cool2:
We're going to hold you to that! :)

topsites
04-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeh, I'd say your mix could have been a little on the hot side, but I also think
the lawn will make it as the damage appears minor. Just leave it alone for a bit,
mow it and water it as normal but don't mess with it for about 30 days from the
time of the last application, then take it from there.

Probably could use some lime, not now thou, give it a little time.

kirk1701
04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
We're going to hold you to that! :)
Yea I know, I get paranoid with my lawn very easily. Guess because I worked hard to get it where its at and keeping it this way is half the job :)

Yeh, I'd say your mix could have been a little on the hot side, but I also think
the lawn will make it as the damage appears minor. Just leave it alone for a bit,
mow it and water it as normal but don't mess with it for about 30 days from the
time of the last application, then take it from there.

Probably could use some lime, not now thou, give it a little time.
The side has already recovered, looks great

foreplease
04-21-2009, 07:54 PM
...I worked hard to get it where its at and keeping it this way is half the job :)

I know you have and you have done really well. Take time to enjoy it and try not to reach for the sprayer every time something little changes. When I was younger and worked on golf courses, it used to frustrate that people would speak only in superlatives, saying either This is the best this place has ever looked or This is the worst the golf course has ever looked. Nobody ever drove in on a Saturday morning and said "It looks about like I expected it would, it looks nice."

kirk1701
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
I know you have and you have done really well. Take time to enjoy it and try not to reach for the sprayer every time something little changes. When I was younger and worked on golf courses, it used to frustrate that people would speak only in superlatives, saying either This is the best this place has ever looked or This is the worst the golf course has ever looked. Nobody ever drove in on a Saturday morning and said "It looks about like I expected it would, it looks nice."

Thanks foreplease, yes I do have it looking great and in fact I outdid myself I guess all the work last fall has paid off :weightlifter:
actually I never expected it to look like it does when I mowed the first time this year I was a bit surprised.

Have a couple jealous neighbors too to tell the truth :laugh:

after all, most of the neighborhood is johnson grass and crabgrass lawns ;)

I mean that literally to

CircleC
04-22-2009, 03:20 AM
Looks like possibly a little fungal activity. Curling tips, some leaf spoting, and one of the pics looked like wheel tracks from a mower. It will usually grow out of it or the fertilizer will help with recover. Weather and moister will play a role in fungus activity. If I'm not mistaken I think some of the Rye grasses are prone to leaf spot fungus. I could be wrong....all the fert and rain could have helped it recover. Look out for the dollar spot, brown patch and NRS in the summer!