PDA

View Full Version : Adding Sides on truck

kylefiroe90
04-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Alrite so im kinda runnin out of room in my truck bed and i need some ideas. I have a 2007 Chevy 1500 ext cab regular bed with a tool box. Im thinking about taking my tool box out and making some sides built up to the heigth of the cab with some 2x6 running horizontal and 2x4 attached vertically holding them together. Then painting the wood black to match the truck and putting my logo and business name down the sides. Theres a guy here on lawnsite Trudeau Landscaping or Redmax Man he has a dump insert with sides. I dont want the dump just the sides. He has the sides just like what i want. How you guys think it would look? Any clue on how to attach it to the truck?

slamjamrockinman
04-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I think it looks good, very professional with the lettering. I made some sides for my friends chevy 1500 that we use for work. They definately save time. I actually built a box that comes on and off in a few minutes. I will get some pics up for you, I am in the process of changing it a bit. I'll explain how it attaches to the truck once I get the pics up.

kylefiroe90
04-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Hmm...Uve got me thinking lol. Ya post them pics up asap lol im anxious to see how other people have done it.

93Chevy
04-04-2009, 12:08 AM
I need sides as well, but I have a toolbox that I can't take off. Which means my truck is gonna look funky with sides that aren't full bed-length.

kylefiroe90
04-04-2009, 12:51 PM
oh damn. Why is it that your tool box wont come out?

MileHigh
04-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm going to mount my tool box on the top of my sideboards...by the rear of the cab to the wood.

Alrite so im kinda runnin out of room in my truck bed and i need some ideas. I have a 2007 Chevy 1500 ext cab regular bed with a tool box. Im thinking about taking my tool box out and making some sides built up to the heigth of the cab with some 2x6 running horizontal and 2x4 attached vertically holding them together. Then painting the wood black to match the truck and putting my logo and business name down the sides. Any clue on how to attach it to the truck?

Let me know if you wanna know how I built them.

kylefiroe90
04-04-2009, 06:57 PM
hey man that looks pretty damn good. Are those 2x6's on the sides? ya if you could tell me the directions on how to do it cuz im kinda confused on how to attach the sides to the bed or just make an actual box.

tyler_mott85
04-04-2009, 08:06 PM
I am eventually wanting sides on my bed. I'd like to have metal stakes that go into the bed pockets for attachment points with lumber for the actual sides. I'm thinking about actually getting Cedar deck boards, drying them for a few weeks, then planing down the edges so there is no radius and making a solid side. Waiting on the first busy months checks to come in. :)

Good Luck!

MileHigh
04-04-2009, 10:27 PM
hey man that looks pretty damn good. Are those 2x6's on the sides? ya if you could tell me the directions on how to do it cuz im kinda confused on how to attach the sides to the bed or just make an actual box.

2x10...........

I made a strong box...doesn't flex if your pushing real hard on it. I felt that using the stakepockets would lose rigidity.

6 pins, 6 drilled holes, 2x4, 2x6 for rail cap, and 2x10 for sideboards, decking screws.

kylefiroe90
04-05-2009, 12:33 AM
that box looks damn good man! The only part im not sure about is that if your looking at my truck from behind the bed sides slope outwards wouldnt that affect the sides making them lean out? If you wouldnt mind you think you could post a pic of it from behind with the tailgate down? much appreciated my friend

scagwildcat
04-05-2009, 11:26 AM
what i did to my old truck was, i took and made a head ache rack then i attached it my welding it to two angle iron the length of your bed, on the angle iron i welded stake pockets to add my boards, this way i could put them on and off when i wanted, i dont like drilling holes so what it did was, i bougth those cheap stake pocket tie downs at the parts store, but you need to get the cheap ones that just have the eyelet that bolts to the top,
i put those under my bed liner and bolted the anglr iron to those. worked great ! very strong, and when i sold the truck, the guy didnt want it on so i took it off in 15min and you never knew it was ever there... it cost me about $150 for the whole setup.. i see if i can find some pictures...

MileHigh
04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I had to take the sideboards off...I hate plowing snow with them on.

I had the same issue as you...the boards would lean outwards towards the rear of the bed.

I really could care less about a few tiny holes in my bed.

So what I did was take a 2x4, and screw them into the back of the bed as you can see in the pics. Then I took another 2x4 and stuck them on the sideboards to fill in the little gap. I then take the 2x4 that is screwed into the truck and screw those into the 2x4 on the sideboards...straightens them right out.

By the way...these come off in less than 5 min.

kylefiroe90
04-05-2009, 07:19 PM
oh ok i think i gotcha still kinda confused but ill figure sumthin out im illiterate haha. How did you attach the 2x4 near the cab?

93Chevy
04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
oh damn. Why is it that your tool box wont come out?

Because I need it.:waving:

Brett's Cutting Edge
04-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Cant you use the stake pockets in the bed rail to slide a 2x4 in there?

WALKER LANDSCAPE
04-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Like this very easy

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Walker Landscape. what size wood are you using to run into the stake pocket.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
2x4 with a notch to fit in hole.

kylefiroe90
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
i took the dive today and went ahead and ripped the tool box out and put the sides on. Two 2x8's on both sides and against the cab. Ill post pics tomorrow after i paint it.

Lasko's Lawn Service
04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Soooo.....for you guys that have these wood sides already, can you pile the mulch in there now?....I have a 6 foot bed on a Chevy 1500 and was wondering how much mulch I could carry without breaking anything....currently I can only haul about 2 yards with now sides and a tool box in there....

kylefiroe90
04-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Lasko, i was just wondering the same thing. My chevy is only 2 wheel drive you guys think it would squat alot? oh and ill get some pics up of my new sides tomorrow if the rain lets up.

Chilehead
04-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Nice! I use 2 x 4s screwed into some pieces of plywood, and just set them in the bed. When there is a load of clippings in the bed, the walls don't go anywhere.