PDA

View Full Version : I need some suggestions on what to do here....

JeffNY
04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
As you can see, its washing out, and going down the hill, into the central air unit. The water comes off the roof (no gutter) and comes down on the stones.
Just looking for something to put in there to stop it.

Thanks.

http://jeff98.com/images/CLS/IMG_1246.JPG

tyler_mott85
04-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Install Gutters. :clapping:

What first came to mind to me was burying rail-road ties at ground level. They wont wash out but I wonder how long they'd last from rotting with always being pounded with water.

yardatwork
04-03-2009, 11:22 AM
You answered your own question...install a gutter. Cheap and easy fix.

betmr
04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
You need Gutters and leaders bad. Then I would get a slab under that AC. Raise it up so it is above grade. I don't know if you just put gravel around the foundation, or if you dug for a curtain drain there.

At my place, I ran drain pipe out to the curb for my down spouts. Lot of water comes off that roof.

JeffNY
04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Here's another picture of the area im working with. Im almost thinking about digging a drain, put a grate over it, and cover it with more stone, then have it come out on the side, just past the ac unit.

http://jeff98.com/images/CLS/IMG_1245.JPG

cgaengineer
04-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Other then installing gutters you may want to do the following as well.

I would raise the AC unit a few inches. You can do it without disconnecting if you are careful.

You could also install a knee wall which will divert the flow around the unit.

Come to think of it, since the ground already slopes towards the unit I would install a knee wall anyway to divert the flow. I would also put the unit on a pad.

JeffNY
04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
The unit is on a pad, its just not high enough and the washed away dirt covers half of it already

betmr
04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Judging by your second picture, it looks like you already know what to do.

And by the way, JeffNY....is that as in, Jeffersonville, NY ? That's where I come from !

If so, I'll bet that rough sawn board and batten is local lumber, Lotta mills around there.

JeffNY
04-03-2009, 06:10 PM
no, sorry, My name's Jeff.

also, I haven't done anything here yet, just took pics.

kirk1701
04-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Judging by your second picture, it looks like you already know what to do.

And by the way, JeffNY....is that as in, Jeffersonville, NY ? That's where I come from !

If so, I'll bet that rough sawn board and batten is local lumber, Lotta mills around there.

Something else in that second pic. Looks like you already have underground preprated lines to cary the water off probably to the street where it should go.

JeffNY
04-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Like I said, I myself haven't done anything to this place, so I don't really know what is there. and the street is like 400' away

FYS777
04-04-2009, 12:59 AM
no, sorry, My name's Jeff.

also, I haven't done anything here yet, just took pics.

Hi jeff, here is what i think, the down spout that is already there is connected to the flex pipe that is sticking up at the corner of the house,
I would put small retainer blocks about two or three high from corner of house to end of ac unit, then clear out wash out, put plastic down, and put in rock big enough so it wont wash out again, kind of like building a minnie creek bed. from the corner of the house were the flex pipe to end of ac unit, my thoughts.

kirk1701
04-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Like I said, I myself haven't done anything to this place, so I don't really know what is there. and the street is like 400' away
Being 400' away and the fact that there seems to be a lot of runoff creating erosion just makes that much more sense that underground pipes have been installed for you. Hence; the flex pipe like FYS777 is refering to so all the contractor left for you to do was install gutters and connect them to the flex pipes.

He probably did this so you wouldn't have to tear up the yard and reseed to do it at a later date so the contractor actually saved you some money putting in the flex pipes for that reason and left the gutters for the new owners to purchase later.

FYS777
04-04-2009, 01:21 AM

Hey jeff, looks like it has gutters, run hose in gutter to see were water runs out, bet its the flex pipe, good luck.

FYS777
04-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Being 400' away and the fact that there seems to be a lot of runoff creating erosion just makes that much more sense that underground pipes have been installed for you. Hence; the flex pipe like FYS777 is refering to so all the contractor left for you to do was install gutters and connect them to the flex pipes.

He probably did this so you wouldn't have to tear up the yard and reseed to do it at a later date so the contractor actually saved you some money putting in the flex pipes for that reason and left the gutters for the new owners to purchase later.

it allready has gutters look at the down spout in picture.

FYS777
04-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Hey jeff, looks like it has gutters, run hose in gutter to see were water runs out, bet its the flex pipe, good luck.

If that flex pipe is already connected to the down spout on the gutters then all you have to do is extend the flex down past the ac unit. I've seen contractors run short and just leave it, but this may be all you need,:clapping:

CGlisson
04-04-2009, 03:13 AM
As stated above, gutters are the obvious answer.

If you can't do that for whatever reason, think about trenching the drip line and an extension into the lawn about 2 feet deep and installing a piece of pvc with drilled holes in it. Then cap the pvc at the end with an elbow and spout cover. After that, cover the drip line with some river rock and fill in the lawn area with the soil you removed. Reseed.

Just an idea, this is what I did in the back of my house where the basement entrance is. We had some flooding problems and this did the trick.

I can give you more info if you're interested.

FYS777
04-04-2009, 03:20 AM
As stated above, gutters are the obvious answer.

If you can't do that for whatever reason, think about trenching the drip line and an extension into the lawn about 2 feet deep and installing a piece of pvc with drilled holes in it. Then cap the pvc at the end with an elbow and spout cover. After that, cover the drip line with some river rock and fill in the lawn area with the soil you removed. Reseed.

Just an idea, this is what I did in the back of my house where the basement entrance is. We had some flooding problems and this did the trick.

I can give you more info if you're interested.

Post # 5 show in picture, lower right corner of pic, down spout from gutters

JeffNY
04-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Guess I should have posted all 3 pictures to begin with, it has gutters on the smaller parts of the house, not off the main peak. and I don't install gutters so thats out of the question. This picture of of the right side, its the same as the left side, so you can see where the gutters are and aren't.

Thanks for all the help

http://jeff98.com/images/CLS/IMG_1253.JPG

FYS777
04-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Guess I should have posted all 3 pictures to begin with, it has gutters on the smaller parts of the house, not off the main peak. and I don't install gutters so thats out of the question. This picture of of the right side, its the same as the left side, so you can see where the gutters are and aren't.

Thanks for all the help

http://jeff98.com/images/CLS/IMG_1253.JPG

Hey jeff, I see how they have the retainer blocks on the right hand side, do the same on the side you showed us first, i think i mentioned that, your welcome.

pitrack
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi jeff, here is what i think, the down spout that is already there is connected to the flex pipe that is sticking up at the corner of the house,
I would put small retainer blocks about two or three high from corner of house to end of ac unit, then clear out wash out, put plastic down, and put in rock big enough so it wont wash out again, kind of like building a minnie creek bed. from the corner of the house were the flex pipe to end of ac unit, my thoughts.
I agree with this, if gutters are out of the question, build sort of a trench so the water can flow past the ac unit into the open part of the yard.