PDA

View Full Version : arborvite ?

ethany
04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I planted a row of these about 5 years ago. They were about 2-3 feet high and now about 6 feet, except for three of them. These three are about three feet high, so they did not grow much or not at all.

My question is why are these three not growing? They are green like the others but never grew. Also what do you recommend as a growth stimulator or how should I amend the soil?

My soil is more clay than sand if that helps at all.

Kiril
04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Any irrigation?
How about a soil test?

yardatwork
04-03-2009, 10:20 AM
I'd bet that these three aren't getting the same amount of sun light.

Isobel
04-03-2009, 01:32 PM
have you got a picture of the area?

betmr
04-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm wonderin' how everyone can tell, I don't see a picture, I don't know if they're talkin' 'bout the ones on the right or the left ?

Isobel
04-03-2009, 02:15 PM
My only other thought is that they are of different species. Either they were picked out incorrectly, or mislabled. For example it could be a difference between Thuja occidentalis and a Thuja plicata. Depending on the variety it could explain why some are taller than others in the relatively short time frame of 5 years.

What is your background, are you a landscaper, or a homeowner? did you plant these yourself, or did you have someone else do it?

If it is a matter of different species a growth stimulator isn't going to help, in my opinion. You can't change the nature of the plant. If its a slow grower, then that's it. you'd have to replace them.

ethany
04-03-2009, 04:58 PM
I am a homeowner and yes I did plant them myself. Since I planted all of them myself the same way,I would not think it was an error on my part as far as the planting goes.

Now the other odd thing is they are planted next to each other in the row so its highly unlikely that they are another species,because when they were delivered they were in a group and I don't believe I could have found three the same species and planted together.

One more thing I just remembered the original ones they delivered they all died within a month or so and I had to replace them, from the same nursey for a reduced price.

The last thing I would like to ask is would it benefit them to mix in some organic compost or should I buy hollytone(for the ones that are ok)? I put down hollytone in the past but thats it because I was told they are low maintenance.

I just wanted to say this is a great service you provide and I am glade I came across this forum

openbook
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Maybe they were just weak plants to begin with and might take a while to catch up. You could start cutting back the leaders on the taller ones to slow them down while the other ones catch up. Fertilize them, and maybe get a soil test.

joshua
04-03-2009, 10:41 PM
a picture would really help!!! it could be any number of things. from different arbs., planted to deep, or any number of other problems. until then we're pretty much geussing.

openbook
04-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Joshua might be right, those ones might be planted too deep. Especially in clay soil you want to plant high because of the poor drainage.

ethany
04-04-2009, 12:27 AM
I will try to post a picture tomorrow. I guess the ultimate question is when is the point I just dig them up and plant new ones. I hate to throw out a plant if there is something I can do but I don't see any other choice.

BostonBull
04-04-2009, 08:24 AM
I guess the ultimate question is when is the point I just dig them up and plant new ones.

we cant answer this question without first seeing some good pictures of different angles and distances.

Look forward to viewing your pics and finding a resolution.