PDA

View Full Version : 4WD Gas Milage

EagleGrounds
04-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Alright, me and my friend have a bet going, and i am 99.9% sure i am correct.

He enjoys driving his jeep on the road with 4WD on because "he thinks it handles better", which is an entirely different story that i argue with him against.

But anyways i told him that he is getting worse gas milage w/ 4WD on, especially for having it on for no reason. So he came back and said no it gets the same milage.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Im almost positive i am right, what do you think?

wellbuilt
04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I only used 4x4 in off road conditions or snow . I think most owners manuals have a speed restriction . Some jeeps had 4x4 only . You will get better mileage in 2x4 and wear less parts . I don't know if the jeeps have locking hubs now . All wheel drive is different . John

Mowbizz
04-03-2009, 01:59 PM
You can't be driving on pavement in 4wd...there needs to be either a front or rear wheel slipping while you're in 4wd or you will ruin your differential.
AWD (all wheel drive) is NOT 4WD. AWD kicks in when a wheel slips for better traction on the fly automatically. You probably would not notice that much difference in AWD for gas mileage, as it's not getting used much. You would see a difference if driving all the time in 4WD though...more friction, more gears turning etc...

RedRebel
04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Oh, its just a matter of time before the transfer case or front ring and pinion grenades anyways....

doubleedge
04-05-2009, 05:15 PM
That is very bad for the drivetrain. The front wheels and the back wheels take separate paths while you are turning, which causes a speed difference. There is no differential between the back and front wheels in most 4wd trucks and suv's, so the drivetrain is fighting with itself when all of the wheels have traction (when they don't all have traction, the slipping wheel speeds up or slows down to compensate).

nosparkplugs
04-05-2009, 05:21 PM
2wd will always get better MPG, that is just simply physics less weight & moving parts. The only advantage a 4x4 would have on a hard surface is the ability to transfer more power/torque to the ground.

Now their is a kit called "SPIN DOCTER" for 4x4's that free's up the front drive system, and reduce's drag; however most folks are tightwads, and don't want to spend the cheese on the kit. Personally it would be my first purchase if I did finally purchase a 4x4

Other than that 4x4 is just more money, and trouble

TXNSLighting
04-06-2009, 10:52 PM
2wd will always get better MPG, that is just simply physics less weight & moving parts. The only advantage a 4x4 would have on a hard surface is the ability to transfer more power/torque to the ground.

Now their is a kit called "SPIN DOCTER" for 4x4's that free's up the front drive system, and reduce's drag; however most folks are tightwads, and don't want to spend the cheese on the kit. Personally it would be my first purchase if I did finally purchase a 4x4

Other than that 4x4 is just more money, and trouble

Not with chevys!! Im getting the same or worse economy than my 4x4 counter parts!

4.3mudder
04-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Um, you have to get worse. You have more moving parts bearings, ring pinion that are moving. It is not good to drive on the road with 4wd anyway.

EagleGrounds
04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, now i can show him i was correct, like usual :laugh:

hosejockey2002
04-11-2009, 12:25 AM
But anyways i told him that he is getting worse gas milage w/ 4WD on, especially for having it on for no reason. So he came back and said no it gets the same milage.

Tell your buddy to drive in low range in the city. Tell him he'll have better acceleration and braking, and better mileage because the engine will be up higher in it's powerband. :laugh::laugh:

STIHL GUY
04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
my ranger doesnt get too good of mileage in 4WD. its not good to drive in 4WD unless there is some grit or something under the tires that they are slipping ex. dirt/snow