PDA

View Full Version : how not to hire a bum?

lawnfreak09
04-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I was thinking of hiring some help and was wondering how you guys weed out the bums..lol I mean what impresses you when someone calls for a job. I just dont want to hire someone i will regret. Thanks

shovelracer
04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
For starters the ones that find you without an add are usually the better ones. Usually more motivated since they took the initiative to ask you before you even said there was a job available. Ive had a job nearly everyday since I was 16 and only one was actually hiring. I got the rest by walking in and asking.

Dont listen to the talk of experience because 90% of it is BS.

Best is to weed them out over the phone a little. Then work them on a trial day. Give them some basic tasks and see how they follow instructions, if good then give them the most miserable, dirtiest job you have and see if they come back the second day.

LB1234
04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Best is to weed them out over the phone a little. Then work them on a trial day. Give them some basic tasks and see how they follow instructions, if good then give them the most miserable, dirtiest job you have and see if they come back the second day.

We do this all the time. We try and tell them how $hitty their job is going to be. That they are low man on the totem pole doing jobs no one else wants to do and that it is back breaking work in all types of weather. If I don't get the hesitant 'okay' at that point then I tell them they are on a trial basis for the 1st week. I work the ever living crap out of them. If they survive that they can continue to work. a lot just say "i've found another job" after the first day or two.

bohiaa
04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
There was a closeing of a local business here where I live. right at the time I had a help wanted ad running. the job I had to offer was NOT for these type of people.
the phone rang off the hook. I tried to inform then of how Shi&%$ the job was.

however, I did end up hireing a guy, and sure enoulf he left me shortly after. Hired this other guy against my better judgement, and sure enoulf he couldn't do the job, and he didn't wanna work.

there is no seceret forula here. just try to use your little vioce inside your head.
and CALL those referances.

dwlah
04-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Avoid the ones that have thier parents/bf/gf /wife ask you if you are hiring
Like has been said before If they are looking they will find you
If they pass the interview give them a trial period
find the crappiest jobs for them and stay on thier case
If they stay you wont have to "come down hard" after being the nice guy

One of my customers told me one day "Dont forget this is your business. You arent running a day care are you?"

OBTW Ive gotten a rep as a hard case to work for with the teenagers that know me
(doesnt bother me keeps the lazy ones at a distance)

ontheouter
06-14-2009, 12:18 AM
I always hire someone on the premise it's for 2 weeks only using the line it's for a once off job or while an offsider is taking some time off, and that it could lead to full time work.

That way I get to see how they work and what their attitude is without expectation of a trial or anything like that where they might try extra hard just to win the job, but then become their real slack selves after they are hired.

The most important thing I do is to let the new guy work with my other employees without me being there. This is the biggest give away for slackers because they will always act differently around the boss than they will around other employees. If they start slacking off or bad mouthing the boss with the other staff, I've got a loser and let em go.

DLAWNS
06-14-2009, 12:43 AM
I tell them that we drug test....they all say it's no problem, then half of them don't show up. I wonder why!!

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-14-2009, 01:07 AM
No tux = no job.

mikey.hill
06-14-2009, 02:37 AM
It cracks me up seeing guys being asses to their employees in a 'trial' run like this is the 1950's. Hire, motivate, teach and treat them right and you've just fostered a loyal employee(usually at a fraction of the cost).

THC
06-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Must have drivers licsense. That weeds things out considerably.

2 clowns mowing
06-14-2009, 08:10 AM
pre-employment drug screening takes care of most of it.

THC
06-14-2009, 08:58 AM
What a joke. Any body every told me to take a drug test to mow lawns would have very unpleseant experience. I'd basically tell them to go to hell.

Can you really say to somebody.. "If you want to mow lawns you need a drug test" It's absolutely ridiculous.

On the other hand we gotta make sure these landscaper types don't take steriods:rolleyes:

AI Inc
06-14-2009, 09:05 AM
What a joke. Any body every told me to take a drug test to mow lawns would have very unpleseant experience. I'd basically tell them to go to hell.

Can you really say to somebody.. "If you want to mow lawns you need a drug test" It's absolutely ridiculous.

On the other hand we gotta make sure these landscaper types don't take steriods:rolleyes:

Im with ya here. A stoner can do a menial job. Somebody that is sober that will dig holes for $10 an hr is a loser.

DLAWNS
06-14-2009, 11:31 AM

That's fine, they can tell me to go to hell. I don't want them representing my company. I don't need some baked out dude ruining my properties and breaking my sh*t. Don't get me wrong, I did my share when I was younger and still enjoy partying but I've grown up a bit. Now if they legalize it, than things would be so much different. Where did you get steroids from.

Im with ya here. A stoner can do a menial job. Somebody that is sober that will dig holes for $10 an hr is a loser.

I'm not saying they can't. I put two ads on Craigslist and within 12 hours had about 35 calls the first time and about 45 in less than 12 hours the second time and used the drug test comment and the valid drivers license as the two main ways to weed out the losers. So I'm a loser b/c I bust my a** for 14 hours a day while sober? That seems a little dumb to me. I used to bust my a*s for peanuts when I was young...It's called paying dues.

You guys are just posterboys for professional LCO's. No wonder nobody respects us.

CrystalCreek
06-14-2009, 07:18 PM

These guys are totally right in the fact that anyone can do this job high. BUT I DONT WANT THAT IMAGE IN MY COMPANY!!! Also, if the cops ever do a road side check and find a bag in your vehicle, then good luck with the impound fees. Also, see how many people want to hire you if you have a drug reputation. Commercial work sure wont come easy. I do not ever judge people for what they do, thats why I love America. But keep your beer and drugs away from my business.

THC
06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
My point was..

Do you think if someone drinks alcohol that they will be working drunk all the time? It's really none of your business UNTIL they are drinking on the job.. or getting high. Same thing.

I'm not sure about your impound laws down south there, we don't have such laws here. IN fact, Pot is almost legal here. But if someone is impared be it from drinking, pot or even lack of sleep or texting.. that can be dangerous.

But I've never taken a drug test (I don't do drugs) and I wouldn't ask anyone to, I'm not even sure it's legal to. I still don't allow them to even smoke cigarettes in my truck because of 2nd hand smoke and NEVER on customers property.

So I think only hiring people with drivers license is the best way to weed out bums, I'm not sure hiring only non smokers is legal, but if it is, that would be another good way.

DLAWNS
06-14-2009, 11:14 PM
My point was..

Do you think if someone drinks alcohol that they will be working drunk all the time? It's really none of your business UNTIL they are drinking on the job.. or getting high. Same thing.

I'm not sure about your impound laws down south there, we don't have such laws here. IN fact, Pot is almost legal here. But if someone is impared be it from drinking, pot or even lack of sleep or texting.. that can be dangerous.

But I've never taken a drug test (I don't do drugs) and I wouldn't ask anyone to, I'm not even sure it's legal to. I still don't allow them to even smoke cigarettes in my truck because of 2nd hand smoke and NEVER on customers property.

So I think only hiring people with drivers license is the best way to weed out bums, I'm not sure hiring only non smokers is legal, but if it is, that would be another good way.

I just don't want to deal with any of that because I had a guy that was doing drugs on the job. I don't need any of that drama. Besides, I find it funny that we are talking about weed and your username is THC! :laugh:

W.L.M.
06-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Drug test, drivers license, what school they went to and where the reside can pretty much tell me if someone would work out or not. In this industry people from the country just always seem to be better workers than those from the city.

dtelawn
06-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I have to agree about the questions. I don't know of any Legit(GOOD) job out there with a company that does not require a drug test. Many places require it before giving an interview. I personally don't care if a guy is a pothead but by telling them you will test is a great idea. A person who WANTS or NEEDS a job will say fine.

On the worker issue, try to find a young one who grew up farming, loading hay, framing houses, ect. They will be a better bet.

Az Gardener
06-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Wow "give them the worst, dirtiest jobs" "work them to death" "see if they show up the next day" sounds like you guys will end up with the stupidest applicant not the best people.

First thing is you need to be offering a job with some type of opportunity. If you don't at least have a plan for that, something that you can spell out for a applicant well you will be at the bottom of most job seekers lists. at least the ones who will come to work every day motivated to build your company and their opportunity. Call it B/S if you want but its a fact.

Next you need to have a hiring system and you do the same steps every time then you refine it, so it gets better every hiring cycle.

I run my adds on jobbing dot com. Computer literate people will be more educated than newspaper applicants IMHO and it saves me work. I can peruse resumes and then e mail them an application and directions to our yard set a time for interviews at my leisure.

When they arrive I start out explaining what we as a company do, who are clients are and what they expect. I have a laptop with a slide show of our clients homes they can watch while I review their application.

I then go on to explain our business plan how it provides a win win win situation for everyone. I talk about our systems, training, benefits, what we expect of them. This is a script I wrote it is the same every time.

Then I have a list of prepared questions I ask them. I start out with ice breaker questions about their families, hobbies, first job, favorite and least favorite jobs. Then into the tougher questions. All of this is designed to give me an idea who this person is what motivates them and the most important is this a person I would want in my back yard working if my kids were out in the yard.

All this takes about 30 minutes. Then if they seem like a good fit for our company I let them know, so far so good on my end and I ask if they like what they are hearing and do they want to continue.

If they do I have them do a timed vision test. a where's Waldo kind of thing to see what they can see. If the guy can't spot trash under a bush or a weed in a shrub I want to know now not later.

Then I have them plant a flower pot. I have a printed set of directions on how to prep the soil, what amendments to put in the soil etc. I want to see them follow the directions on the paper to the letter. If they do that and they do OK on the vision test I know I have someone I can train to do what we do.

That is just the beginning. I also have a check of list that I must follow to be sure I have followed all the steps. Then there is the offer, the employee contract, the employee manual review, the operations manual review, the drug test and background check permission form, the... oh hell here it is

New Hire check list

Name __________________________ Date___________ Interviewed by _______________

___ Turned in complete application
___ Shown job-site pictures on computer
___ Explain our work including tasks for position applied for
___ Shown Newsletter
___ Shown Worksheet
___ Shown production rate calendar
___ Interview completed with notes on worksheet
___ Aptitude test complete, score_____
___ Eye test complete, score_____

Job offer Date___--____--____ Pay rate_______ Start day___ Date___--___--___

___ Position contract completed and signed by both parties
___ Operations manual reviewed and signed
___ Employee Manual reviewed and signed
___ Confirmation of training signed
___ Check out document completed and signed
___ I-9 Documents inspected by Gardener representative and form completed
___ AZ-4 form completed and signed by employee
___ Federal W-4 form completed and signed by employee
___ Consent to drug test and background check signed by employee
___ Picture taken of employee
___ Time sheet given

60- Days

___ Insurance forms given to employee
___ Direct deposit form given to employee
___ Employee measured for uniforms and ordered

90-Days

___ Insurance card given to employee
___ Costco or Samís card Membership card given

This is how you don't hire a bum, its not easy but what is?

topsites
06-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes, I don't hire, problem solved. :laugh:

As for the comments regarding drinking and drugs?
I don't touch or go anywhere near the stuff, I work stone cold straight and sober because I have been down that road and I regret
what I did, but I also learned drugs are for losers and now it has been many years since the days. I am not judging anyone here
for what they do, that is their business but today I no longer wish to be associated with this or the folks who practice it.

Now there are those of us left in this world who will work like this, we take pride in ourselves, even if it is for peanuts.

I tell them that we drug test....they all say it's no problem, then half of them don't show up. I wonder why!!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam .... :p

Must have drivers licsense. That weeds things out considerably.

Agreed.

I would have to ultimately agree, however, that Az gardener appears to have the better of the approaches, that is,
this is something to be taken seriously, if you in turn wish to be taken that way.

No drugs, no drinking, and a driver's license, those are the first signs somebody is or isn't serious.

supercuts
06-15-2009, 06:50 PM
It cracks me up seeing guys being asses to their employees in a 'trial' run like this is the 1950's. Hire, motivate, teach and treat them right and you've just fostered a loyal employee(usually at a fraction of the cost).

me too, i take them in and show them how could they can have it. tell them if the show up on time and work hard ill take care of them. works so far.

THC
06-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Isn't it true that some of us would take ANYBODY that showed up, knowing that they are disposable..

I've had guys that don't have any ID so I had to pay cash.. he almost threatened me so I fired him.

Had a guy that half way through the day asked if I minded if he had a beer.. he had beer in his gym bag.

I had a ****** that actually managed to put the back pack blower on backwards. It was all hunched up top of his shoulders near the back of his head.

I had a guy that drew tits on the side of my truck in the dust.

I had a friend who I must have hired and got sick of 5 times. Most of these guys would piss on a customers yard if they could.

This spring I lucked out and found a real smart guy (native american). Every time I turned around he was doing something smart like putting stones back in the beds or putting together the sump pump hoses or raising eavetroughs. But he went and got a job for $17/hour.. I was paying $12.

DLAWNS
06-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Wow "give them the worst, dirtiest jobs" "work them to death" "see if they show up the next day" sounds like you guys will end up with the stupidest applicant not the best people.

First thing is you need to be offering a job with some type of opportunity. If you don't at least have a plan for that, something that you can spell out for a applicant well you will be at the bottom of most job seekers lists. at least the ones who will come to work every day motivated to build your company and their opportunity. Call it B/S if you want but its a fact.

Next you need to have a hiring system and you do the same steps every time then you refine it, so it gets better every hiring cycle.

I run my adds on jobbing dot com. Computer literate people will be more educated than newspaper applicants IMHO and it saves me work. I can peruse resumes and then e mail them an application and directions to our yard set a time for interviews at my leisure.

When they arrive I start out explaining what we as a company do, who are clients are and what they expect. I have a laptop with a slide show of our clients homes they can watch while I review their application.

I then go on to explain our business plan how it provides a win win win situation for everyone. I talk about our systems, training, benefits, what we expect of them. This is a script I wrote it is the same every time.

Then I have a list of prepared questions I ask them. I start out with ice breaker questions about their families, hobbies, first job, favorite and least favorite jobs. Then into the tougher questions. All of this is designed to give me an idea who this person is what motivates them and the most important is this a person I would want in my back yard working if my kids were out in the yard.

All this takes about 30 minutes. Then if they seem like a good fit for our company I let them know, so far so good on my end and I ask if they like what they are hearing and do they want to continue.

If they do I have them do a timed vision test. a where's Waldo kind of thing to see what they can see. If the guy can't spot trash under a bush or a weed in a shrub I want to know now not later.

Then I have them plant a flower pot. I have a printed set of directions on how to prep the soil, what amendments to put in the soil etc. I want to see them follow the directions on the paper to the letter. If they do that and they do OK on the vision test I know I have someone I can train to do what we do.

That is just the beginning. I also have a check of list that I must follow to be sure I have followed all the steps. Then there is the offer, the employee contract, the employee manual review, the operations manual review, the drug test and background check permission form, the... oh hell here it is

New Hire check list

Name __________________________ Date___________ Interviewed by _______________

___ Turned in complete application
___ Shown job-site pictures on computer
___ Explain our work including tasks for position applied for
___ Shown Newsletter
___ Shown Worksheet
___ Shown production rate calendar
___ Interview completed with notes on worksheet
___ Aptitude test complete, score_____
___ Eye test complete, score_____

Job offer Date___--____--____ Pay rate_______ Start day___ Date___--___--___

___ Position contract completed and signed by both parties
___ Operations manual reviewed and signed
___ Employee Manual reviewed and signed
___ Confirmation of training signed
___ Check out document completed and signed
___ I-9 Documents inspected by Gardener representative and form completed
___ AZ-4 form completed and signed by employee
___ Federal W-4 form completed and signed by employee
___ Consent to drug test and background check signed by employee
___ Picture taken of employee
___ Time sheet given

60- Days

___ Insurance forms given to employee
___ Direct deposit form given to employee
___ Employee measured for uniforms and ordered

90-Days

___ Insurance card given to employee
___ Costco or Samís card Membership card given

This is how you don't hire a bum, its not easy but what is?

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Az Gardener
06-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Thank you, I was afraid that post was going to be lost and it took quite a bit of time to put it all down.

bohiaa
06-16-2009, 04:20 PM
dont know about you guys, But my insurance co. wont cover anyone who test postive for drugs. I cant. and wont put anyone on the road knowing that they could possabley be under the infulance. and kill a family. nor will I put them behind the controls of any equipment, that's considered dangrous.

I owe that much to my fellow humans. and I hope that other LCO's show responsabilty in there decission making to do the same...

Just think, the family you save, may be your own.

mikey.hill
06-16-2009, 05:40 PM
dont know about you guys, But my insurance co. wont cover anyone who test postive for drugs. I cant. and wont put anyone on the road knowing that they could possabley be under the infulance. and kill a family. nor will I put them behind the controls of any equipment, that's considered dangrous.

I owe that much to my fellow humans. and I hope that other LCO's show responsabilty in there decission making to do the same...

Just think, the family you save, may be your own.

I'm not condoning marijuana use in the workplace, but I'm just saying ... people do it, probably some of your employees, and they do it while they're working. I know because I was one of those guys. Those days are behind me now, but my boss never knew and neither did the other employees but I was always careful and was actually one of the better employees there - never got injured like some of the guys coming in with nasty hangovers - never broke any equipment(that wasn't up for maintainence anyways). Alot of (non-recreational) users smoke weed because it's anti-depressant properties and tbo I'd rather have a stoned lawn guy than someone on some perscription drug that does god knows what to there brain and their ability to work.

On a side note - when I was 20 I worked in a ski shop in Colorado for a winter. There were about 30 employees and every single last one of us smoked mounds and mounds of weed everyday, all day. Most of our job was to setup rental skis for the customers which one wrong twist of the binding settings or a simple mistake could wind up causing a broken leg, arm or even worse. Despite our daily habit and fitting up close to 250,000 customers that year, we had a perfect track record (There were injuries of course, but not a single one was the fault of our shop ). The boss smoked pot with us, so did the owner of the resort - so everyone knew. Even the customers knew when they saw us hazey eyed with a big smile on our faces.

(6) The study, conducted in the Netherlands, examined the performance of drivers in actual freeway and urban driving situations at various doses of marijuana. It found that marijuana produces a moderate, dose-related decrement in road tracking ability, but is "not profoundly impairing" and "in no way unusual compared to many medicinal drugs. ... The study found that unlike alcohol, which encourages risky driving, marijuana appears to produce greater caution, apparently because users are more aware of their state and able to compensate for it (similar results have been reported by other researchers as well.(7)) It should be noted that these results may not apply to non-driving related situations, where forgetfulness or inattention can be more important than speed (this might explain the discrepancy in the Baltimore hospital study, which looked at accidents of all kinds).

AI Inc
06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=DLAWNS;3041860] don't So I'm a loser b/c I bust my a** for 14 hours a day while sober? That seems a little dumb to me. I used to bust my a*s for peanuts when I was young...It's called paying dues.

QUOTE]

I never said that, I said" a sober guy willing to dig holes for $10 an hr is a loser"

nobagger
06-16-2009, 07:51 PM
ROFLMAO! I tell them over the phone we drug test and they need a driver's license. That usually takes care of 98% of them. The other 2% that actually show up, half are still worthless and the other 1% might, just might work out. Your in for a lot of disappointment. I bet we went through (so far since 2003) probably 200 aps and I have one good guy who can run everything, another good guy who does pruning (kinda) and a lot of grunt work and a guy who thinks he is the king of lawn care and is a pita! Good luck.

mikey.hill
06-16-2009, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=DLAWNS;3041860] don't So I'm a loser b/c I bust my a** for 14 hours a day while sober? That seems a little dumb to me. I used to bust my a*s for peanuts when I was young...It's called paying dues.

QUOTE]

I never said that, I said" a sober guy willing to dig holes for $10 an hr is a loser"

So while I was taking 16 hours each semester in college, earning my degree in Computer Science and Mathematics while digging ditches for a friend of mine because that's the only job I could find that was flexible with my schedule, that made me a loser? I still employ several college kids to do my odd jobs and things I prefer not to do and the thing is ... they do a pretty badass job. To add to this, my younger brother just had a new kid(his second). He works days at a glass company and in the evenings busts his hump as a laborer putting in sprinker systems. He's also a college student and pretty all around stand up guy. I think you shouldn't be so quick to judge people who do what it takes to make ends meet.

THC
06-16-2009, 08:45 PM
I don't see how a hard worker can ever be called a loser. I would rather dig ditches outside then work inside at macdonalds.

bohiaa
06-16-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm not condoning marijuana use in the workplace, but I'm just saying ... people do it, probably some of your employees, and they do it while they're working. I know because I was one of those guys. Those days are behind me now, but my boss never knew and neither did the other employees but I was always careful and was actually one of the better employees there - never got injured like some of the guys coming in with nasty hangovers - never broke any equipment(that wasn't up for maintainence anyways). Alot of (non-recreational) users smoke weed because it's anti-depressant properties and tbo I'd rather have a stoned lawn guy than someone on some perscription drug that does god knows what to there brain and their ability to work.

On a side note - when I was 20 I worked in a ski shop in Colorado for a winter. There were about 30 employees and every single last one of us smoked mounds and mounds of weed everyday, all day. Most of our job was to setup rental skis for the customers which one wrong twist of the binding settings or a simple mistake could wind up causing a broken leg, arm or even worse. Despite our daily habit and fitting up close to 250,000 customers that year, we had a perfect track record (There were injuries of course, but not a single one was the fault of our shop ). The boss smoked pot with us, so did the owner of the resort - so everyone knew. Even the customers knew when they saw us hazey eyed with a big smile on our faces.

(6) The study, conducted in the Netherlands, examined the performance of drivers in actual freeway and urban driving situations at various doses of marijuana. It found that marijuana produces a moderate, dose-related decrement in road tracking ability, but is "not profoundly impairing" and "in no way unusual compared to many medicinal drugs. ... The study found that unlike alcohol, which encourages risky driving, marijuana appears to produce greater caution, apparently because users are more aware of their state and able to compensate for it (similar results have been reported by other researchers as well.(7)) It should be noted that these results may not apply to non-driving related situations, where forgetfulness or inattention can be more important than speed (this might explain the discrepancy in the Baltimore hospital study, which looked at accidents of all kinds).

yes, that's the way it was, were in a new day and age now.
one of the reasons that people wont hire drug users is simple insurance.
if a person doesn't care about there self then why should we. " the tax payers" however when they do something dumb, get hurt, or need medical help. and the hospital finds out there have drugs in there system and the insurance wont pay. then WHO DOES ?

you do, and so do I.

at my company we do NOT support illigal activety, in any way.

THC
06-17-2009, 12:51 AM
You have a strange system down there. Up here they don't care about your employees names at all, just the job they're doing. Mowing lawns in one rate, roofers pay a bit higher, well the employer does anyway. But once that employee is gone, we don't need any contact with him. EI or Compensation is between the one who is receiving and the government branch responsible.

AI Inc
06-17-2009, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=AI Inc;3046540]

So while I was taking 16 hours each semester in college, earning my degree in Computer Science and Mathematics while digging ditches for a friend of mine because that's the only job I could find that was flexible with my schedule, that made me a loser? I still employ several college kids to do my odd jobs and things I prefer not to do and the thing is ... they do a pretty badass job. To add to this, my younger brother just had a new kid(his second). He works days at a glass company and in the evenings busts his hump as a laborer putting in sprinker systems. He's also a college student and pretty all around stand up guy. I think you shouldn't be so quick to judge people who do what it takes to make ends meet.

Well obviously things are different around there then here. College kids dont work around here. The spoiled little brats go to europe for the summer in a good economy. In a bad one they live at home for the summer, drink all night and wake up at noon.When their dad gets on their case they tell him if he knew how to make real money they could be in europe. Been a buss owner for 27 yrs , only had 2 college kids the whole time.

My point was, if someone smokes a bone when they go home at night , thats not reason enough not to hire them.

AI Inc
06-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Back in my house framing days , seems ya had 3 choices. A drunk , a stoner or a coconut. Id take the stoner over the other 2 any day.

terrapro
06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Back in my house framing days , seems ya had 3 choices. A drunk , a stoner or a coconut. Id take the stoner over the other 2 any day.

What is a coconut? :confused:

If they ask "can you pay in cash I am on unemployment" thats the first sign or if they say "can you pick me up every morning I don't have a license" there is another one.

It also matters what type of employee you are looking for. If you want to build your business with them or have some disposable labor. Just pay what they are worth.

93Chevy
06-17-2009, 10:32 AM
AZ Gardner, thank you for you post. Obviously you value your company's image. I have a great respect for that.

Although I'm only a part timer and don't have employees yet, I believe that every employee needs to be treated with dignity and respect. Some employees are not worth keeping, as they bring the image of the company down. However, I believe if you value your employees and make them feel appreciated, you will get a greater investment on your employees.

AI Inc
06-18-2009, 06:44 AM
[QUOTE=terrapro;3047743]What is a coconut? :confused:

QUOTE]

Cocaine head.

THC
06-18-2009, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=terrapro;3047743]What is a coconut? :confused:

QUOTE]

Cocaine head.

OH! LOL, I thought it was a racist name against Canadians.:laugh:

Regardless, Don't ever call me coconut.:laugh:

DLAWNS
06-18-2009, 12:55 PM
AZ- I appreciate your post and think it made some awesome points. As long as you don't care, I think I will be adopting some of your methods. Let me know what you think.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Gardener thank you for nice hiring prosess I forgot some things I used to do
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
12-12-2009, 04:24 AM

I wouldn't say he's a loser but you do have to wonder about his mental capacity. There are many people out there doing menial jobs because every now and then they "burn" one in the evening or on the weekend and every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to give a pre-employment drug screen(many times for a minimum wage job). They can't pass it because they are an occasional toker. I see 2 things happening here. I see it as a subliminal way of the government enforcing a law that they are helpless to enforce any other way. I also see it as a way Insurance companies use to deny paying claims thereby increasing there bottom line(like they aren't bending everyone over a barrel every day as it is) I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it wouldn't surprise me if they are working hand in hand. Either way, it leaves many "good" people hanging out to dry. I do not agree with drug or alcohol use on the job. I would absolutley go "postal" if I got wind of it happening. But I'm not going to hold the fact that a guy twists one up every now and then against him. I think it is degrading and wrong. You'll miss out on some "good" or even "great" people by excluding them over this. Tweekers and freaks are pretty easy to pick out and personal hygiene goes a long way in telling you what type of person you are dealing with. I won't hire someone that looks like a pin cushion or a tatoo billboard. They must have relatively short hair and clean shaven unless growing a mustache or beard. By the way, I have a very good(I won't say great:laugh:) employee who is an alcoholic. He has been sober for 3 yrs and goes to his AA meeting every wed night. I think he may twist one up every now and then, I'm not sure. I don't know because I've never given a pre-employment drug screen. JMO

stressed
12-12-2009, 09:36 AM
That is a good question lawnfreak,im trying to find that out myself.I hired one of the worst guys ever last year.He ended up tearing stuff up on purpose so id get rid of him so he could get on unemplotment.You really gotta watch who you hire and bring into your business.I truly think telling them you drug test before you hire them is a great way to weed out sum.I mean you can make em fill out application and check their past jobs.What im gonna do this year is train them,warn em once if they mess up,fire em the second time.There are too many people wanting jobs to deal with an idiot