PDA

View Full Version : Is there a name for this type of turf condition?

openbook
04-03-2009, 06:28 PM
I would describe it as super turf. I've seen it at a wells fargo last year. The turf is so irrigated and thick it doesn't even resemble grass anymore, it's kind of like a mushy carpet. The color I think was even brighter green than normal. After cutting there would be tons of clumps to either rake up or try and blow back into the turf. The tips on the grass would also brown more than normal because it was so thick and hard to mow.
Does anyone know what that might be? If I see it again this year I will post a pic.

starry night
04-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Maybe we could call it "overfertilized."

FYS777
04-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Over fert, over water, dull blades. my 2 cents

Midstate Lawncare
04-03-2009, 11:55 PM
is it the last lawn green and the first one brown throughout the season?... if it is it's probably zoysia grass.

openbook
04-04-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't think it's zosyia. Probably what other people said over fert and over watered.

Valk
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Cut it taller so as to provide more space for the clippings to fall into and disperse. I'd go at least 3"...or better yet 3.5"-4" and side-discharge if possible...as opposed to mulching.

I had a lawn like this last year that was unbelievably/unnaturally(??) thick and dense. It was over-fertilized/over-watered (Ryan) and grew like wildfire...AND, there was a pride/ego factor going on as well. I asked to mow 2x/week and the homeowner didn't want to pay for it...so he mulch-mowed Sunday's and I mulch-mowed it Thursday's until July...after that I had to side-discharge it mowing 1/week.
B-E-A-UTIFUL lawn/turf...and an absolute nightmare, too. :realmad:

He's doing it himself this year and cancelled with his Ryan fert guy...as per my recommendation, unless he was willing to mow 2x/week...which he'll need to do this Spring anyways. :rolleyes: