PDA

View Full Version : I think I &*^&* up my truck today

corey4671
04-04-2009, 01:33 AM
It has rained here nearly every other day for the last three weeks so the ground is WET. I was parked on the side of the road today at a customers house. The driver's side of the truck was off the pavement and the passenger side was on the pavement. When I left, I took off slow as usual but I felt the left rear tire slip on the wet ground and it was like the whole truck jerked to the right. I'm afraid what happened was the left rear spun on the mud and the right was on the solid pavement. I know I busted a rear end like this several years ago. It's like the truck wants to pull to the right now. Does this sound like I've busted something in the rear end?

fool32696
04-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I think it would be almost impossible to damage your truck by doing that. 99.9% of trucks on the road have open differential that allows the tires to rotate at different speeds. That's why you get a "one wheel peel" when there is a traction difference between the tires.

doubleedge
04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
I couldn't imagine a differential causing this problem. Seems more like a steering problem to me.

jdogg399
04-04-2009, 06:56 PM
does it want to go to the right all the time now
sounds to me like a axle broke

corey4671
04-04-2009, 11:40 PM
It has been pulling to the right slightly for a while but seems like yesterday it really started doing it more after this incident. If an axle or the chunk were broken it should be making some God awful noise shouldn't it?

dirtfan1981
04-04-2009, 11:54 PM
if it puulls to one side check ur aligment or brakes. If the rearend was messed up ud know. if a piece breaks off while driving chances are it not going to fall right away. It probably jam ur gears and u would have bigger problems. Yeah the rearends are made to do that now days unless u have a locker.

corey4671
04-05-2009, 12:38 AM
don't think I have a locker. It's an 04 Silverado 2500HD with a 4.10 rear end

joshco84
04-05-2009, 03:41 AM
I think it would be almost impossible to damage your truck by doing that. 99.9% of trucks on the road have open differential that allows the tires to rotate at different speeds. That's why you get a "one wheel peel" when there is a traction difference between the tires.

I believe you are looking for "One Tire Fire"!!

All kidding aside, if you had a broken axle you would know. It wouldnt just pull.

joshco84
04-05-2009, 03:42 AM
don't think I have a locker. It's an 04 Silverado 2500HD with a 4.10 rear end

A factory pickup wont have a locker anyways, but it may have a limited slip differential. And i would imagine with a 410 in it that the rearend is a limited slip.

Dirt Digger2
04-05-2009, 09:30 PM
if you have a broken axle you wouldn't be able to move the truck because all the power would be going to the axle with the least resistance (the broken one)

ProTouch Groundscapes
04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
our 02 HD will lock the rear end if it starts to lose traction, we have the 4.10's also. so im sure yours would as well. but under normal driving, its just one tire doing the work, then the limited slip engages.

topsites
04-06-2009, 11:23 AM
First thing would be to check, and equalize air tire pressure all around?

corey4671
09-16-2009, 12:55 AM
ok..it started doing it again today. turning to the right uphill...right side tire was doing all the pulling and squealing at that. Backed up and it made a big CLUNK..everything was fine after that.

Gravel Rat
09-16-2009, 09:05 PM
I would be pulling the rear diff cover off and looking for chunkys.

E.L.Co
09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
A factory pickup wont have a locker anyways, but it may have a limited slip differential. And i would imagine with a 410 in it that the rearend is a limited slip.

only chevy equips the z 71 s with an eaton g 80 LOCKER i have an 07
its locked up on me before

E.L.Co
09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
i think you locked up the locker...it makes a big clun k when it un locks finally if it gets jammed

02DURAMAX
09-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Dont worrry its your locker!

all Gm HDs have them!

bobcatoh
09-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Got bad news for ya. Pretty sure your rear end is toast. My 03 Silverado did the same thing, cost over $2,000. The cartridge in the rear end is broke. Do the tires try to skid thru a turn? The bang you heard was probably one of the ears breaking off. Chances are even if your take off the rear end cover you won't see a problem.

E.L.Co
09-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Got bad news for ya. Pretty sure your rear end is toast. My 03 Silverado did the same thing, cost over $2,000. The cartridge in the rear end is broke. Do the tires try to skid thru a turn? The bang you heard was probably one of the ears breaking off. Chances are even if your take off the rear end cover you won't see a problem.

my friend did the same thing to his 03, mine locked up backing over a curb with one of the tires and the other on wet pavement...it finally unlocked cuz i gave it short spurts of gas in reverse and it went CLUNK and now its fine but i dont notice it working as much as before

RN Lawncare
09-18-2009, 04:53 PM
I work on cars ALOT! With my dad cause my grandpa owns a junkyard and alot of times when it pull's to the side it's a tierod, But I don't see how this could mess up a tierod but just throwing it at ya!

D8dozerboy
09-18-2009, 05:30 PM
When the locker in GMs lock while 1 tire is slipping it clunks and sounds all kinds of bad. Try to take it easier when taking off in situation like this.

THC
09-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I just went through a bunch of noise and squealing and it didn't do it in reverse etc. It turned out to be the brake adjusting cable. It broke and was inside the rear drum. I made a thread about it in the mechanic forum.

GravelyNut
09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
only chevy equips the z 71 s with an eaton g 80 LOCKER i have an 07
its locked up on me before
Better go look under the nearest Chevy 3500 Dually with a 4.10. The locker is/was an option and not just as a Z 71. Code for 2001 was G80 for the locker and GT5 for the 4.10 gears. Spec codes and data from UofW. (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/niagara/data/edmunds/2001_Chevrolet_Silverado_3500_LS_4WD_Regular_Cab_LB.xml) And it does go in with a bang at times.

corey4671
09-19-2009, 02:19 AM
When the locker in GMs lock while 1 tire is slipping it clunks and sounds all kinds of bad. Try to take it easier when taking off in situation like this.

I don't do jackrabbit starts. I have had times when trying to take off that it feels like only one rear wheel is doing all the work. Like its slipping. Most of the time it's fine.

Den69RS96
09-22-2009, 02:38 PM
make sure you have a locker in the rearend. If you have a regular clutch type posi rear, change the fluid and make sure to add the friction modifier to it. If you have a locker, they are noisey and can exhibit the behavorial you've described. Found this about lockers

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Detroit-Locker-automatic-lockers.htm

badbart
09-22-2009, 02:56 PM
You have a G80 Eaton locking differential. (if you look in your glovebox door you can find the code, G80) All HD 2500 and 3500 Chevys and GMC's have them. They function as an open differential until one wheel slips in excess of 100 rpm's faster than the non slipping wheel. I myself prefer the posi-track diff's, but they are not available as an option on these trucks. They operate with a gov-lock system. This provides positive locking at speeds under 25 mph, but it can, and does activate rather violently, and with a lot of noise at times. And they can and do hang up sometimes. They require no special additive as posi units do, but I believe there are only one or two oils that are recommended by Eaton. The next time you have an issue, put the truck in reverse and back up. This should unbind it. If not pop the cover and see if you have any "extra" parts lying in the bottom of the case. Good luck!