PDA

View Full Version : Trimming tall hedges

chuckhopkins76
04-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I was going to see if someone had any ideas on the best way to trim 9' tall hedges. I done it last week at a customers house with a latter and a set of shears. I was kind of scared to use my gas powered trimmers,that high. Any thoughts ?

bohiaa
04-04-2009, 09:22 AM
they make a trimmer, that's on a pole, and it's adjustable, however being in your situwation, "with only 1 customer with these tall bushes" it's not worth the 500.00 to purchase them.

in the past we have used the truck to stand on, this doesn't allways work. if ya cant get the truck in there.

so like you, were still using the ole ladder, it's NOT very safe. and kind of hard to make them look good

jkilov
04-04-2009, 09:29 AM
The best way to trim 9' tall hedges would be me :laugh: since I'm 6'4.

If you have a lot of jobs like that an articulating hedge trimmer attachment on a split stick trimmer will do. Or a single edge hedge trimmer, these can have longer blades, typically up to 40" or more and aren't as hard to use as some might think.

If it's just occasional and you prefer not to invest money into, I suggest an aluminum stand-on platform. Seen them in box stores. It's a stable frame with a deck to stand on, and small wheels to roll it around. Can be partially collapsed to fit on a trailer.

Kate Butler
04-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Depending on the brand you use, there are articulating hedge trimmers that fit the business end of a line trimmer. Mine's a Stihl and it kicks it good.

White Gardens
04-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Depending on the brand you use, there are articulating hedge trimmers that fit the business end of a line trimmer. Mine's a Stihl and it kicks it good.

Same here, I picked up a brand new articulating hedge trimmer attachment and stuck it on the end of my trimmer. Good thing was I got the attachment off e-bay for $160, far less than buying new.

My favorite thing to do with it is knock down brush with it,

chuckhopkins76
04-05-2009, 09:48 AM
thanks guys i will try it