PDA

View Full Version : Question

TnLawn33
04-04-2009, 04:25 PM
I have a property that has a low spot that runs down the entire middle of the back yard. What would you suggest to fill in this spot? I've heard dirt, sand, dirt and sand. please help. Thanks

The Elements Group
04-04-2009, 04:49 PM
What type of turf is the yard? this will depend on what you should use...

TnLawn33
04-04-2009, 04:52 PM
It is all grass. The house next door is on a hill and all of the water runs into the yard. Always has standing water and makes it hard to cut.

iluvbermuda
04-05-2009, 09:15 AM
If it was a warm season grass I would go with sand.

kirk1701
04-05-2009, 02:56 PM
It is all grass. The house next door is on a hill and all of the water runs into the yard. Always has standing water and makes it hard to cut.

OMG this just sounds so familiar.
Sounds like my next door neighbor but she tried to block the water with cinderblocks from going down hill :laugh:

Dreams To Designs
04-06-2009, 10:00 AM
When you fill in this low spot, where will the water run to and create another low spot? Is this low area in the back yard supposed to be a drainage swale? You need to determine where the water runoff will be going before you change the grade.

If you must add, removing the existing grass as sod, if possible, add soil, similar to what is there or a blend of topsoil and compost, leave the dirt to wash down the drain when you wash up. Often golf courses and warm season grasses are topdressed with sand, but unless sand is the native soil, adding it to the existing soil can bring a whole host of additional problems.

Kirk