PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Dump Bed

GMTA
04-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Ok so I just bought a 96' F350 Stake Body Dump and the bed is rusted and rotted. Is it worth rebuidling the bed with new steel beams as needed or should I continue to look for a replacement? Anyone have experience in rebuidling their dump bed?

dirtfan1981
04-04-2009, 11:57 PM
it depends how mechially inclided u are and have the excess to the right tools. If its a floor just replace the rotted and tie in to the old good metal. Just have to make sure u grind of the rust and junk to get a good weld pentration.

Really just depends on what u want to do.

joshco84
04-05-2009, 03:46 AM
it depends how mechially inclided u are and have the excess to the right tools. If its a floor just replace the rotted and tie in to the old good metal. Just have to make sure u grind of the rust and junk to get a good weld pentration.

Really just depends on what u want to do.

This post is perfectly correct. A floor is no problem with the right tools.

And if it is just a stakebed, a new flatbed is really not that expensive. You might be better off with another bed anyways.

GMTA
04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
It is the side rails that the stake sides insert into and 2 or 3 cross braces that have rotted completely through where they connect up to the side rails. The bed floor is PT wood planks that I will be replacing with fixing the steel. I will post before pics when I get some. Thanks for the replies!

GMTA
04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Here are some pics I took tonight of the side rails and an example of how bad a few of the cross braces are under the bed (pic #5) which are supposed to connect to the side rails. Previous owner added support pieces to try and hold things together but obviously the bed is lacking support.

Jelinek61
04-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Scrap that thing and buy new/used. That is more work then i would be willing to do.

GMTA
04-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Scrap that thing and buy new/used. That is more work then i would be willing to do.

That seems to be the most logical route. Looking into Ebay/Craigslist lately for a replacement that won't break the bank.

joshco84
04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Wow you werent kidding about it rotting. Must have had a salt spreader on it. I agree that scrapping it and going with a different bed would be better option.

GMTA
04-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Wow you werent kidding about it rotting. Must have had a salt spreader on it. I agree that scrapping it and going with a different bed would be better option.

I believe it did have a spreader on it but was primarily used as a plow truck by the previous owners and obviously neglected.

addictedtolandscaping
04-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I would ship that thing. You can build one, but again, comes down to the right tools. I think you are going to be wasting your time trying to fix that

GMTA
04-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Is it possible to replace the stake body with another stake body but not a dump stake body. I am interested in buying a stake body off a flat bed truck(non-dump) and just replacing the body and using my dump hydraulics . What kind of modifications will need to be made to allow this to work, if it is even possible?

addictedtolandscaping
04-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Should be able to, may have to make some shims as it will probrably sit a bit higher, you will need to get some plates to build the hinge pins mounts etc. But this is exactly the approach I would take.

GMTA
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Should be able to, may have to make some shims as it will probrably sit a bit higher, you will need to get some plates to build the hinge pins mounts etc. But this is exactly the approach I would take.

I am going to take a look at a non-dump stake body tonight and hopefully things measure up. This is probably the cheapest way to replace but we'll see if things line up