PDA

View Full Version : HDR Photography Professionals?

Eden Lights
04-05-2009, 11:48 PM
I have been getting some pictures of our projects from the last couple of years and while I think they are above average, I want them to be unbelievable. Have any of you worked with a HDR professional or do you know of anyone that does HDR work with Exterior lighting? I have shared a definition of HDR, for those that have not heard of it.

High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography is the process of creating images in which the ratio between the maximum and minimum measurable light levels are higher than can normally be achieved during a single photographic exposure. HDR Tone Mapping is the process of transforming HDR photos into normal dynamic range photos, suitable for displaying on a computer monitor, television or for making a hard-copy print.

Eden Lights
04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Here are a few HDR worked shots.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Although I am a fan of HDR photography and think that it is really cool, I do not think that you should use this technique (other than in passing, as a 'hook') for your lighting portfolio. It gives the images a 'rendered look', something that is beyond real, almost like a comic book look.

I dont have much of an issue with photomanipulating images in order to improve their appearance, but I think that your photos should reflect the look that you are capable of reproducing with the lighting system alone.

Save the HDR photos for other interests IMO

steveparrott
04-06-2009, 09:25 AM
My layering techniques in photoshop are considered a manual type of HDR. I've tried to use photoshop's HDR processing that combine the layers automatically and produce a final image - that hasn't worked well at all. I understand that there's a program, Photomatix, that gives you more control over the result and I may try that.

Pro-Scapes
04-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Has anyone tried Apature on macintosh ? I am gettign my new mac desktop this week and will be getting it.

I do agree with James. Thoes pictures look surreal. While they are pleasing to the eye its just a bit over done.

JoeyD
04-06-2009, 12:18 PM
they look like vertically stitched, photo-shopped images!?? Cool looking though!

Eden Lights
04-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I am still looking for a HDR professional that has experience in the aspect of combining multiple exposures to create a final representation that is accurate with aspects to true visionary experience. This can be done in many programs that are available. I think you guys are seeing and commenting on some typical photo shop enhancements and that is not what I am looking for. If you know of someone please let me know.

Eden Lights
04-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Just for you James.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Again, that is just too surreal to my eye. It looks more like a painting than a photo and it is not really representative of what the eye would see.

I have a friend who does a lot of HDR photography, using photomatix, and the results are amazing. It is really cool to see the work he comes up with. However, it is not something that I would present in a portfolio of lighting projects. Doing the layering that Steve speaks of (George Gruel uses this technique too) is much more realistic in its output.

Regards.

Mr. Quik electric
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I thought those first 4 pics were amazing. Excellent contrast and depth, color saturation and composure. I don't care who you are.* Good pictures sell your work!* The last pic Eddie posted was obviously an example of the extreme or (comic book)....I got it!

Eden Lights
04-06-2009, 02:03 PM
James is still struggling with the concept of the scope of request with HDR, I hope he listens to his clients better than he does me.

Over exposed image + Under exposed image= Eddie's HDR Request, no other enhancements needed.

Thanks for mentioning George's work, I have seen his work while at Dog Park.

Eden Lights
04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Got it covered Guys, we had a marketing plan recently developed and the implementation of that plan included HDR work from a in-house expert within the agency. The problem was the agency wouldn't work a la carte from the six figure package, but I just received e-mail that due to their current work load they could squeeze me in to pick and choose parts of the plan.

Thanks for the responses.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
George Gruel has indicated to me and to others that he too is happy to work on manipulation of images on a freelance basis. He really is a master that this sort of thing, perhaps the best in the business.

I assure you I a not struggling with the concept of HDR imagery.

cgaengineer
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I am not good at HDR. I know what it is but that's about it. That being said there is many people at www.nikoncafe.com (Canon people welcome too) that would be willing to help you out and some are people who work with photos as a line of business.

If I were you Eden I would sign up and ask there. If you would like I would be more than willing to speak up for you since I also have several thousand posts at nikoncafe.com. Let me know if you are interested and I will post your photos from this site and we will find someone who can help you make them or edit them. I would like that you sign up and help describe exactly what you are looking for.

BTW, the photos you posted are right in line with some of the posters at nikoncafe (Professional)...some of these folks are good. If you join take a look in the birds/animals forums and shoot me an PM when you join and I will acquaint you.

cgaengineer
04-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Here are a few HDR worked shots.

These shots are nothing short of spectacular. Did you do them?

cgaengineer
04-07-2009, 03:40 PM
PM sent Eden.