PDA

View Full Version : under mulch

minix
04-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Whats the best thing to put down under mulch to stop weeds?

Thanks

LB1234
04-06-2009, 12:43 AM
what's the situation....

mulch for plants, mulch for decorative, stone mulch, hardwood mulch, what size stones.

I've found the best thing that works under hardwood mulch is nothing. Weed mat's are a waste of time, effort, and money in mulch beds. Stone beds are a different story...but it depends on the situation. You can use plastic and it works well but you need to be careful cause it won't allow water to penetrate and if its a planting bed its tuff unless you have some type of water system in place.

pitrack
04-06-2009, 12:46 AM
I used to be a major believer in fabric under mulch but lately I have begin to notice a good way to stop the weeds is to remove all of the grass or weeds in the area you will be mulching, and then spraying the area with weed killer/preventer. Then lay down 2-3 inches of mulch. I have heard of a brand "snapshot" I may try on my next mulch job. Hope this helps.

grassman177
04-06-2009, 09:52 AM
snapshot works well, it does take multiple apps though and you better be licensed for pesticides.

on to the original ?----- if itis really bad and it is for yourself, to be honest wet newspaper 5 layers thick under the mulch is unbeatable and degradable. commercially i would not use it, a bit tacky. so i guess what the application is depends on the answer

MarkintheGarden
04-06-2009, 10:14 AM
snapshot works well, it does take multiple apps though and you better be licensed for pesticides.

on to the original ?----- if itis really bad and it is for yourself, to be honest wet newspaper 5 layers thick under the mulch is unbeatable and degradable. commercially i would not use it, a bit tacky. so i guess what the application is depends on the answer

Yes, newspaper works better than I would have thought!
I find that brown paper, either from a roll or brown paper bags, works well also and is not as visible as either newspaper or landscape fabric.

Isobel
04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
newspaper or cardboard.

works great!

Kate Butler
04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Newspaper works better than cardboard because as it saturates it bonds to the other layers of newspaper next to it (surface tension, if you care to know why) and makes a more thorough bond than wet cardboard. I use more than 5 layers, though - at least 10 and sometimes more (depending on how much time it's going to take to count and lay out sheets. You should have at least 2" of overlap with the paper and if you are a real nut about it: pre-emerge on the ground before the paper goes down and more pre-emerge on top of the mulch.

starry night
04-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I've been using Treflan for years. Prevents weeds but doesn't harm annual flowers that you might plant later. (Again this is assuming you have a pesticide license.)

Look for a private message, minix.

sdk1959
04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I use 1"-2" of grass clippings in my garden to control weeds and in my flower beds under the mulch, works great, it's natural, adds nitrogen and its free.:)

l3en007
04-06-2009, 08:42 PM
license and use Snap Shot. It works great and you make $$$$$ on it. After mulch preparation in beds, I ALWAYS apply 14-14-14 ornamental fertilizer and snap shot. Any paper, plastic or fabric is a complete waste of time and will actually become a hassle in the long run.

Isobel
04-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I disagree, the newspaper does decompose over time, and costs you nothing to buy.

betmr
04-06-2009, 08:46 PM
If it is wood mulch, I don't put anything, Fabric keeps the composted mulch from mixing with the soil, and on even slightest slopes the mulch slides off easily.
Under Stone or gravel I use filter fabric to keep the stone separate from the soil.

Just my opinion but, I don't like the newspaper, cardboard idea. Because I feel it would hinder the flow of and trap too much water and nutrients at the surface, and not deep into the root zone.

Just a 3" layer of mulch, and then either pre-M...pull by hand...or spot treat.

WalkerMike98
04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
pendamethalin or prowl

starry night
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Or in my case: Let others use the weed mat and then I come in and get paid to rip it out after it does more harm than good.

betmr
04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Or in my case: Let others use the weed mat and then I come in and get paid to rip it out after it does more harm than good.

I hear Ya!! :drinkup: