PDA

View Full Version : arbor vitae

BLC1
04-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I planted 3 arbor vitae last year. Last fall they started turning brown havent turned around. They are green on the insde but the outside is solid brown. The branches arent brittle but the needles do just fall right off.

Any ideas whats wrong with these? All 3 are exactly the same.

Thanks.

addictedtolandscaping
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Sounds like they took a severe beating from the wind. You can either prune the hell out of them to get back to the greenery assuming it doesn;t mean half the tree or give "Holly tone" a shot. It is a fert for evergreens that we use up here. I have seen it pull off some really amazing revitalization's. Make sure if you go with it though that you put it down either just before it rains or water the hell out of it, it smells like cat pi$$

BLC1
04-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I was thinking about wind but at the same time they are pretty close to the house and are in a fenced in back yard. Still possible that the wind beat them up?

Whitey4
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Some outer winter die off is to be expected. How exposed to the wind are they? These plants do need water, they are not very drought tolerant. They also do not do well in shade. I like the Holly Tone idea, but I would also use some slow release fert tablets or spikes that have all the micro nutrients that Holly Tone lacks somewhat.

Drew Gemma
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I bet you have bag worms look for sacks made out of web and the scale leaves of the arborvitie. Cut them out and kill them chemicals never penetrate the sacks so they survive no matter what you spray.

EVM
04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Young arbs need need allot of water. I would think if you saw damage in the fall it is from lack of water. Wind damage in the fall, probably not the case, I have never seen this wind damage on an arb. You would get that type of wind damage if you trimmed the shell of the arb too late in the season. Reminds me of a shopping center in my area, they keep replanting about 25 arbs and the arbs keep dieing just like you described. I am wondering when the property manager is going to realize that "HEY THESE THINGS NEED WATER!"

White Gardens
04-07-2009, 02:16 AM
I bet you have bag worms look for sacks made out of web and the scale leaves of the arborvitie. Cut them out and kill them chemicals never penetrate the sacks so they survive no matter what you spray.

Same thought here. We've had bag-worm problems around here the last 5 years.

They produce the exact symptoms as described.

Supposedly, Imidicloprid will work to control the bag worms.

Smallaxe
04-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Young arbs need need allot of water. I would think if you saw damage in the fall it is from lack of water. Wind damage in the fall, probably not the case, I have never seen this wind damage on an arb. You would get that type of wind damage if you trimmed the shell of the arb too late in the season. Reminds me of a shopping center in my area, they keep replanting about 25 arbs and the arbs keep dieing just like you described. I am wondering when the property manager is going to realize that "HEY THESE THINGS NEED WATER!"

Bingo... Always check the root ball for moisture for the first week at least after planting... soak them into their hole when planting... and remove the top of the burlap when B&B, no matter what anybody says.

I've seen a lot of these things die from drying out in their transplanted area. For several years now. :)

BLC1
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
We have been getting plenty of rain and snow lately. If it was the customer not watering last fall do you think they can recover now with all the moisture?

I will have to stop over there and check for the worms.

daveyo
04-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Are the root balls 2" above the existing soil? Make sure there not buried too deep or smothered by mulch, keep the crown above soil level, EVM's explanation is a good one and vise versa make sure there not drowning.