PDA

View Full Version : James Solecki - Soffit Lights

MEXANDME
04-06-2009, 09:51 PM
James,

What you have described below is exactly what I am looking for.

Would you mind recommending a supplier or two.

Thanks!!!

Ros

Soffit Lighting can be effective if it is not overdone. The vast majority of it is installed by trades that have no knowledge or experience in technical lighting design and as such it is usually too bright, has lots of glare (direct line of sight to the lamp) and there is too much of it.

I would recommend you use MR16 based LV recessed fixtures, and make sure the trims you select are deep regressed and adjustable gimbals so that you can aim the light. Start with 20W BAB (flood) lamps. Brighter is NOT better.

See the effect, not the source.
Member: IESNA, LO, MBA, AOLP

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Sure. I highly recommend the use of Contrast Lighting products.

For exterior soffit mounted applications I would go with the IT3000M retrofit 'can' and a T3450D-xx-xx-SM-MG Trim ring. (the xx is the colour codes of the trim and the inner lamp cone. the MG stands for Marine Grade which is a great upgrade for exterior use but not entirely necessary with their paint grade trims.. depends on your climate)

The main thing here is to pick a can and trim combo that recesses the lamp back off the surface of the soffit/ceiling. Most pot trims do not do this, they keep the lamp flush to the surface and as such provide for tons of glare. The T3250D series of trims come in a variety of formats that recess the lamp into the can and still provide you with 26 Degrees of gimbal for aiming.

http://www.contrastlighting.com/en/prodlowT3450.htm

http://www.contrastlighting.com/en/pdf/IT3000LM.pdf

Contrast is a really good company and is Canadian Made product, offering you guys in the USA great value.

Pro-Scapes
04-07-2009, 04:00 AM
We have also used the lightolier product with great results in this application. I think the housing is LVR2000 and either a 2005 or 2006 series trim ring. Had the first set of them up for about a year and a half now with zero issues. Not even a lamp out in them.

Eden Lights
04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
We have also used the lightolier product with great results in this application. I think the housing is LVR2000 and either a 2005 or 2006 series trim ring. Had the first set of them up for about a year and a half now with zero issues. Not even a lamp out in them.

The lightolier product is the best for this application: it's easy to install and work with, the 2006 trim has 35 degrees of adjustment, the lamp holder will take a accessory lens, and it's 100% glare free. You will be hard pressed to find anything better.

Kiril
04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Curious is anyone has used the 1 gang foot/step lights in soffits?

Pro-Scapes
04-07-2009, 11:11 AM
The lightolier product is the best for this application: it's easy to install and work with, the 2006 trim has 35 degrees of adjustment, the lamp holder will take a accessory lens, and it's 100% glare free. You will be hard pressed to find anything better.

I agree and it was in fact you Eddie who turned me on to them. Me and my clients thank you.

I have a challenging sofit one now. Someone put regular 4 inch can lights with the lamp right at the trim in a gable area so the cans are sitting at about 45 degrees. Anyone try to retrofit these into a sloped celing can that is regressed ?