PDA

View Full Version : Buy a Dodge and plan on replacing the front end

Gravel Rat
04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
My brother had to take his 94 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 off the road because it needs the typical Dodge front end rebuild. Around here is something you need to do every 50,000kms (31,000 miles).

Now my brother needs to replace all the link bushings and pan hard bar bushing. Truck needs new ball joints and new brakes new calipers and brake rotors the unit bearings need replacing. All on a truck that has 200,000kms (124,000 miles). The cost of repairs had made my brother to park the truck he is looking at 2000 dollars worth of work. I say to him well you bought a Dodge the only thing that runs good is the engine the rest of the truck is junk.

A friend of my brother and I has a 95 Dodge 2500 it needs the same work as my brothers truck. That truck has seen 3 sets of unit bearings (front wheel).

The 94-97 era Dodges have something that causes the passenger side tire to wear funny (stock tires) my brothers truck does it a stone mason has a 94 Dodge it does it.

punt66
04-07-2009, 10:45 PM
My brother had to take his 94 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 off the road because it needs the typical Dodge front end rebuild. Around here is something you need to do every 50,000kms (31,000 miles).

Now my brother needs to replace all the link bushings and pan hard bar bushing. Truck needs new ball joints and new brakes new calipers and brake rotors the unit bearings need replacing. All on a truck that has 200,000kms (124,000 miles). The cost of repairs had made my brother to park the truck he is looking at 2000 dollars worth of work. I say to him well you bought a Dodge the only thing that runs good is the engine the rest of the truck is junk.

A friend of my brother and I has a 95 Dodge 2500 it needs the same work as my brothers truck. That truck has seen 3 sets of unit bearings (front wheel).

The 94-97 era Dodges have something that causes the passenger side tire to wear funny (stock tires) my brothers truck does it a stone mason has a 94 Dodge it does it.
A truck with 125k thats 14 years old and needs front end work. hhmmm SHOCKING! :rolleyes:

POPO4995
04-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Ford front ends are the junk. I had a '04 F-250 w/ a plow and I replaced ball joints, tie rods, and axle seals 3 times in 16 months.....Ford :rolleyes:

Dirt Digger2
04-07-2009, 10:53 PM
wow GR...a 15 year old truck needing work done on it for normal wear...who woulda thunk it?

Gravel Rat
04-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I said you have to do it every 50,000kms (31,000 miles) that truck has seen the front end rebuilt twice already from the previous owner. Before my brother bought the truck it had front end work done to it. I did the front brakes 2 years ago they have about 20,000 miles and they are shot already.

Oh well my brother is driving his other truck right now it is a Ford.

4.3mudder
04-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I ahev heard problems with Dodge front ends, even some of the newer ones like up to 03 they were having ball joint failures on the half ton models. Heck, I passed a red Dodge pickup about 2 weeks ago on the highway, wheel all wrapped around under the truck, typical ball joint. I think it was either around a early 2000 model.

punt66
04-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I ahev heard problems with Dodge front ends, even some of the newer ones like up to 03 they were having ball joint failures on the half ton models. Heck, I passed a red Dodge pickup about 2 weeks ago on the highway, wheel all wrapped around under the truck, typical ball joint. I think it was either around a early 2000 model.

Even still thats 9 years old with likely over 100k on it. Its called maintenance.

Junior M
04-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Even still thats 9 years old with likely over 100k on it. Its called maintenance.
you hit the nail on the head..

Another typical thread pretty much saying Ford is god, I say BS..

igotdiesel2
04-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I have a 01 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. I have 135,00 + miles on the clock. I had to replace my entire front end (all but Axle) at 100,000. I was lucky I had a extended warranty on mine. Some of the Diesel Guys on my TDR Forum have replaced the 2nd gen 1994 to 2002) linkage with 3rd gen (2003 to now) linkage. -Jason.

punt66
04-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I have a 01 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. I have 135,00 + miles on the clock. I had to replace my entire front end (all but Axle) at 100,000. I was lucky I had a extended warranty on mine. Some of the Diesel Guys on my TDR Forum have replaced the 2nd gen 1994 to 2002) linkage with 3rd gen (2003 to now) linkage. -Jason.

Nothing wrong with that.

4.3mudder
04-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Well, I know people do not grease there zerks when they rotate the tires, I always do. I thought that is why they made car maunals?? Guess they don't anymore lol.

Gravel Rat
04-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Yes Fords have problems with ball joints. It is the poor design of the 4 link suspension that falls apart. The unit bearings on the 3/4 tons are also a failure point. Like I said a friend of my brothers and I had had to replace the unit bearings something like 3 times the truck was very low kilometers I think the first ones went at 70,000 (44,000 miles) they didn't last long had to be replaced again but went with OEM units they lasted longer.

The problem with wearing out the passenger side steer tire is still a problem with my brothers truck and the other guys in the area with 2500 Dodges.

Gravel Rat
04-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Once Dodge left the old Boxy Dodge body style the tougher driveline went out the window. Why Dodge put a Jeep suspension in a 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck is beyond me.

Junior M
04-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes Fords have problems with ball joints. It is the poor design of the 4 link suspension that falls apart. The unit bearings on the 3/4 tons are also a failure point. Like I said a friend of my brothers and I had had to replace the unit bearings something like 3 times the truck was very low kilometers I think the first ones went at 70,000 (44,000 miles) they didn't last long had to be replaced again but went with OEM units they lasted longer.

The problem with wearing out the passenger side steer tire is still a problem with my brothers truck and the other guys in the area with 2500 Dodges.
why do you make a big deal out of the minor issues Dodge has, yet you let the issues with Fords front ends slip under the radar?

I know why, you think Ford is the absolute only truck worth a thing and if it isnt Ford it isnt worth a s#it.. Get over it, Ford isnt the only company that sells trucks.

Junior M
04-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Once Dodge left the old Boxy Dodge body style the tougher driveline went out the window. Why Dodge put a Jeep suspension in a 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck is beyond me.
Really? thats why I've seen a 2002 Ford f250 and a 2001 Dodge 2500, both extended cabs, both long beds, both diesels, both 4x4, loaded with firewood and the Ford be squatted almost to the ground with the firewood level with the top of the bed and the Dodge be squatted the same amount with it rolled up.. I will say Dodge has one of the tougher suspensions..

It cant be all that bad..

What do you have against Dodge? Do you secretly want one? Do you not want to be humiliated when you tell people you bought a Dodge after pushing Ford down there throat for years? Why dont you ever say a thing about Chevy/GMC?

CrystalCreek
04-07-2009, 11:50 PM
HAHAHAHA. Oh thank goodness, the old GravelRat is back. I was starting to get worried buddy. It been like six weeks since you started one of these threads.

Oh....My Ford 350 has gone through two sets of ball joints, and is needing new ones soon. I also go through joints and other sh*t every 30000 miles, so I guess that shots your dodge theory to crap. I still love my truck, but have respect for the others out there. Just remember, the best truck in the world, is the one pulling me out of the mud today:laugh::laugh:

Gravel Rat
04-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I find it funny Junior hasn't even got a drivers license and he knows what Dodges are like.

I'am not kidding my brother had to park his truck the cost of repairing the cheap POS truck is too much money. He is considering of throwing it in Ritchie Bros to get rid of it. He has been lucky the transmission hasn't given him troubles it is still a stock 160hp engine.

Panhead
04-08-2009, 01:10 AM
If you are using stock rubber bushings as you are re-building it, you are wasting money. Spend the money and get prothanes or energy suspension bushings, forget you even have to rebuild again.

Gravel Rat
04-08-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't know what my brother is going to do. His truck will probably sit for a few months he has other bills to pay.

Like I have said many times we get bent over the barrel and screwed good on autoparts. I estimate the ball joints alone will be 350-400 dollars not installed. The brakes will be another 500 dollars in parts. Not sure about the suspension bushings.

topsites
04-08-2009, 03:10 AM
omg are you kidding me, a couple of days getting greasy does all of that for ...
Idk, the friggin' inner and outer tie rod ends are a bit pricey, I think $200 just for that.
And it is a bit tricky, after you get it all back together she'll need an INSTANT front end alignment.
I am serious, unless you get it aligned half-decent yourself, and even then I wouldn't drive it more than 5-10 miles.

I do these FEA's myself but that took some years of fooling around and a few wasted tires...

But bearings repacked, replace all those rubber bushings, the brake pads...
Ugh, new rotors, oh you said new bearings, why you know now I repack mine DIY so they don't crap out?
All right now it's another $200 in parts I'm thinking.

Why does it need new calipers?
Omg, anyhow, all right, 1-200 here.

The ball joints might run ya another 20 or 50.
6-7-800 in parts

Because ALL of that is an all-in-one job, you tear the whole thing apart but one time to replace and fix all that crap.
Why I repack my bearings anytime I replace my brake pads, too.
Don't forget the front-end alignment, another $80

Shoot, I should have been a mechanic.

Gravel Rat
04-08-2009, 04:11 AM
I don't think any of the tie rod ends need replacing but the ball joints do so stripping off the knuckles etc drive out the ball joints. The calipers need done because 2 years ago when I did the brakes they looked iffy then. The rotors are shot.

Brake rotors 82 bucks for 2, brake pads 112, Callipers 100 dollars so around 300 for the brakes. Bushing set 118 dollars. Ball joints 187 dollars. Rough total on parts 605 dollars. If the unit bearings need replacing looking at 224 dollars each for aftermarket.

To do ball joints 4 hours labour 320 dollars, complete brake job 4 hours 320 dollars. Do the bushings probably 6 hours 480 dollars. Total labour 1120 dollars. Shop rate is 80 dollars per hour. Like I said it will be about 2 grand the estimated repairs 1725 dollars.

I could do the work but I don't have time. Our cousin might beable to do it if not the truck has to go to a shop.

newtostone
04-08-2009, 04:17 AM
They all need $ to keep going.

Junior M
04-08-2009, 08:57 AM
I find it funny Junior hasn't even got a drivers license and he knows what Dodges are like.

I'am not kidding my brother had to park his truck the cost of repairing the cheap POS truck is too much money. He is considering of throwing it in Ritchie Bros to get rid of it. He has been lucky the transmission hasn't given him troubles it is still a stock 160hp engine.
GR, you need to get your facts straight, I do have my drivers license and I've grown up around Dodges, thats all my family buys for 3/4ton+ diesels..(ignore the chevy in my sig, its a loophole:laugh:)

and your brothers truck is as old as me for gosh sakes, show me a 94 3/4ton diesel thats been worked out of that doesnt need some work?

And you once again pulled your normal crap and ignored my question about why you make a big deal out of the issues with Dodges, but when Ford has issues you let it fly under the radar..

Gravel Rat
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Ford trucks so have their problems but no where near as many as a Dodge does with their front suspension etc. In the same era trucks they had problems with the front spring buckets tearing off the frame.

When my brother blew the front axle shaft he had a h*ll of time getting one. The 4 wheel drive isn't reliable he had problems with that pizz poor vacuum set up Dodge uses.

As I said the only thing that actually works is the engine even thou somedays the Cummins doesn't want to start without being plugged in. The engine does have pretty good blow by.

Anytime I drive the truck you have to get used to the underpoweredness your foot is always near the floor.

I think I will keep my 6.0 it rockets my 9400lb F-450 up a 10% grade doing 110 km/h (68 mph) like nothing same hill in my brothers 6800lb 3/4 ton it barely does 80 km/h (49 mph). The 450 will go faster but I'am scared to go any faster too hard to control :laugh:

Junior M
04-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Ford trucks so have their problems but no where near as many as a Dodge does with their front suspension etc. In the same era trucks they had problems with the front spring buckets tearing off the frame.

When my brother blew the front axle shaft he had a h*ll of time getting one. The 4 wheel drive isn't reliable he had problems with that pizz poor vacuum set up Dodge uses.

As I said the only thing that actually works is the engine even thou somedays the Cummins doesn't want to start without being plugged in. The engine does have pretty good blow by.

Anytime I drive the truck you have to get used to the underpoweredness your foot is always near the floor.

I think I will keep my 6.0 it rockets my 9400lb F-450 up a 10% grade doing 110 km/h (68 mph) like nothing same hill in my brothers 6800lb 3/4 ton it barely does 80 km/h (49 mph). The 450 will go faster but I'am scared to go any faster too hard to control :laugh:
and your comparing a what? 94 to a what? 2004

Once again, you make a big deal out of Dodges issues and ignore fords..

TXNSLighting
04-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Man why doesnt your brother just do the work?? Theres just a few hours of work there, anyone with minor mecanical know how can do it...Just do it on a saturday. Seriously that stuff is simple. I was doing that crap when i was 16 and had no idea what was going on!!

Gravel Rat
04-09-2009, 03:10 AM
My brother doesn't do mechanics and I don't have time.

GravelyNut
04-09-2009, 09:38 AM
I guess you never saw a 70s era Dodge extended cab drop a ball joint. I have.

punt66
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I guess you never saw a 70s era Dodge extended cab drop a ball joint. I have.

Anything can drop a ball joint if you dont maintain them.

Gravel Rat
04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
The old boxy Dodges is when Dodge used leaf springs on all 4 corners with Dana 60s Front and back some used Dana 70 in the rear. You had manual hubs and a cast iron NP205 transfer case. Pretty well barebones basic but it was reliable.

Ford had the rotten Twin traction beam not the greatest but it still had manual hubs and basic only the 350s had the Dana 60.

Dodge went to complete h*ll when they came up with the brainwave of using a mono beam axle like the Dana 60 then put a poor axle engagement sleeve system with weak parts. Then like I said they put a suspension system that was originally designed for Jeep :rolleyes:

Nozzleman
04-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Well if the truck was worth it you could add (see link) to eliminate the weak unit bearings and center axle disconnect (what you call the sleeve system). It's pricey though at two grand. Now you add in brakes, ball joints, labor, and whatever else you mentioned and your around $4,000. But heck, the front end would be bomb proof.

https://store.dynatrac.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPCI&Product_Code=CR60-3X1104-A&Category_Code=HUBKITS

Gravel Rat
04-09-2009, 09:54 PM
My brother has grenaded one of the front U joints it wasn't repairable he had a h*ll of a time finding a replacement in the autowreckers.

I read some where you could do the hub conversion using parts from a Ford Dana 60 as Dodge trucks use a driverside drop transfercase.

In my brother situation it would be cheaper to fix what he has got and run the truck. Just coming up with the cash to buy the parts.

TXNSLighting
04-09-2009, 11:04 PM
My brother doesn't do mechanics and I don't have time.

Well then o well, He could at least try. like i said its not that hard...

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
04-10-2009, 09:18 AM
has he hit the normal dodge transmission failure around 130,000. most of my friends who have them lost transmission around there.

Gravel Rat
04-10-2009, 08:26 PM
With my brothers truck its still a stock 160hp so I don't think its stressing the automatic too much. It can barely get out of its own way :laugh:

South Florida Lawns
04-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Thats bad but aren't your conditions pretty harsh up there in your area? You guys drive the wheels off your trucks lol.

I had a friend with a 2000 3500 dodge that was used as a commercial auto transporter, had around 270k on it when he sold it all he replaced was the panhard and front rotors.

how's that 450 doing GR no major repairs on it yet? I'm going to look at some new 350's tonight maybe.

Junior M
04-11-2009, 02:25 PM
With my brothers truck its still a stock 160hp so I don't think its stressing the automatic too much. It can barely get out of its own way :laugh:
really? so this a 95 Dodge 2500, 4x4, auto, cummins? Correct?

nnj18
04-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't know what my brother is going to do. His truck will probably sit for a few months he has other bills to pay.

So all your other brothers are as poor or poorer then you?? HAHAHAAAA

Gravel Rat
04-11-2009, 10:02 PM
No he isn't poor just has lots of other business expenses to pay. Anybody with that same era truck in this area has the same problem. One guy hit the ditch with his truck and the whole axle folded under the truck.

Junior M
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
No he isn't poor just has lots of other business expenses to pay. Anybody with that same era truck in this area has the same problem. One guy hit the ditch with his truck and the whole axle folded under the truck.
what does he do?

Let me guess, he puts down carpet but your post will turn into a whole drawn out post about loggers, builders and excavation contractors not having work and you'll totally avoid the question at hand and never answer it even after being asked a second and third time?

Gravel Rat
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
He is in steel fabrication.

punt66
04-11-2009, 10:29 PM

So another guy got into an accident and something broke ;)

Junior M
04-11-2009, 10:35 PM
So another guy got into an accident and something broke ;)
I couldnt imagine why? ;) :confused: :laugh:

Gravel Rat
04-12-2009, 01:34 AM
No its only my brother that drives the truck its his personal truck.

KAG
04-12-2009, 04:56 PM
When I started fixing things on my 01 3500 dodge I upgraded the front end as much as possible with after market stuff. I do this to my Chevy and Ford trucks also when they need repairs. I always try to buy better parts or products.

In the end they just stay fixed longer.....everything breaks and wears out.

johnnybravo8802
04-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Yea, I'm having to replace my tires on my Dodge 1500 every 100,000 miles-WTF!!!!!Just kidding:laugh::laugh: