PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator extender (homemade) CHEAP & EFFECTIVE

WHIPPLE5.7
04-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I built this awhile back to use for powerrake thatch and leaf cleanups. It obviously wouldn't take the weight of green grass but it wasn't intended to either. I just got tired of dumping the catcher 50+ on a 1 acre place so this took it from 50 to about 20. BTW thats on about a $300+ type of job, I don't normally bag the larger places unless for the reasons of powerraking or leaf cleanup so this works great. Its larger than the $330 extender as well. My overall cost was less than $20.

BTW the dog isn't trapped inside, its on the other side:laugh:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/977/002sxc.th.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=002sxc.jpg)

Kennedy Landscaping
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Looks good, the dog thing is funny. I don't imagine its very durable though

IdealLawnCare
04-07-2009, 10:55 PM
If it works for your needs then it is perfect.

DRBLawnBuster
04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
is it made of metal i cant tell the picture is super small and i cant make it bigger.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-07-2009, 11:06 PM
is it made of metal i cant tell the picture is super small and i cant make it bigger.

Yes its metal. You should be able to click on it to link to a bigger pic.

lifetree
04-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes its metal. ...

It looks like it's made out of fence type material, or something similar !!

verant
04-07-2009, 11:34 PM
I built this awhile back to use for powerrake thatch and leaf cleanups. It obviously wouldn't take the weight of green grass but it wasn't intended to either. I just got tired of dumping the catcher 50+ on a 1 acre place so this took it from 50 to about 20. BTW thats on about a $300+ type of job, I don't normally bag the larger places unless for the reasons of powerraking or leaf cleanup so this works great. Its larger than the $330 extender as well. My overall cost was less than $20.

BTW the dog isn't trapped inside, its on the other side:laugh:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/977/002sxc.th.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=002sxc.jpg)

How did u make this, what type of material? was it hard to make? i'd be interested in creating this! looks good

2brothersyardcare
04-08-2009, 07:49 AM
can you make a hole catcher?

br549oicu8
04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
can you make a hole catcher?

That's a new one!! I never knew anyone trying to catch HOLES......:laugh:

riverwalklandscaping
04-08-2009, 12:21 PM
how does it empty? looks like if you were to hit anything it would be time to make new one but good idea.

mcwlandscaping
04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Looks like chicken wire....if it works then that's great! I understand how it would only work for light stuff but that's when you need that extra capacity the most!!

WHIPPLE5.7
04-08-2009, 10:18 PM
How did u make this, what type of material? was it hard to make? i'd be interested in creating this! looks good

Its made of a steel rabbit cage that was modified to the exact fitment of my catcher. Thats where the sturdiness comes from. On the outside of that is a really fine messed fencing material. Its not as flimsy as some of are making it out to be. The rabbit cage makes it ridget enough and the mesh is so the clippings won't get thru. Sorry for the late response but I just finished a 13 hour day of rototilling(front tine:cry:), power raking, aerating, and sidewalk edging places that haven't been edged in 25 years(8" overgrowth). I feel like I was thrown from horse and then trampled by it:cry:.

DRBLawnBuster
04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Sounds like a rough day, is there any way you could enlargen the picture becasue when i click on it nothing happens.

PeterA
04-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Rather have you buy one of ours, but that is pretty clever, using an old rabbit cage.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Rather have you buy one of ours, but that is pretty clever, using an old rabbit cage.

Peter, you need this man in your engineering department:) Neccessity is the mother of all inventions.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Well I've used it for a couple of weeks now on some really large properties involving extensive leaf cleanups and thousands of of pounds of power raking thatch. Its holding up pretty well and stays in place good enough. Don't worry PeterA I'll still buy your grass catchers and I may end up getting the extenders from you guys sooner or later but as for right now I'm just squeezing the life out of penny I can. My wifes job has been alittle on shaky side lately(major cut in hours and maybe layoffs) so I've been as cheap as possible. Even though my homemade contraption works I don't think its a permanant thing or nearly as good as a manufactured one.

PeterA
04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
I understand. Everyone is being careful right now with the economy the way it is. Hope things go well with you and that your wife's job steadies up. One day the economy will perk up, probably about the time everyone throws the towel in and decides we are in a permanent downturn. Any prudent person is watching every dollar. Our sales have actually been holding up remarkably well this year, so I am grateful.