PDA

View Full Version : nightmare

ProMo
03-23-2002, 09:48 AM
just had a customer had a zone go out i thought it was a solenoid but it turned out to be an elecrical prob i charged 190 to rewire 3 valves with a 100 ft of irrigation wire customer thought this was way high but when i was checking wiring i noticed it was wired with telephone wire and explained that if she called a co with a meter to find the short and they saw it was phone wire they would probably suggest rewiring hope i was fair in pricing

SprinklerGuy
03-24-2002, 07:50 AM
sounds like you might not have charged enough. The customer will never understand the "telephone" wire problem. they only understand the "checkbook problem".

I hope you explained it to them before you did the work. My pet peeve with my techs is that they just do the work without COMMUNICATING. I could preach on this all day.

I have a stupid question. How come you don't have a meter?

HBFOXJr
03-24-2002, 08:14 AM
no breaka da balls ;)

ProMo
03-24-2002, 08:57 AM
been doing lawn maintenance for 10 years on bill phagans advice i just started doing irrigation didnt know there was a meter for tracing shorted wire until after i replaced it,this is a very long time customer. once she saw her yard turn back to green i believe she was satisfied.I worked for some irrigation co's 15-20 years ago and never saw a meter nor have i ever seen a system wired with tele wire.Just turning a failing biz around if things go well ill add a meter to my collection of tools.Been busy mowin and not runnin a biz

Chuck Sinclair
03-24-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by SprinklerGuy
sounds like you might not have charged enough. The customer will never understand the "telephone" wire problem. they only understand the "checkbook problem".

I hope you explained it to them before you did the work. My pet peeve with my techs is that they just do the work without COMMUNICATING. I could preach on this all day.

I have a stupid question. How come you don't have a meter?

Tony,

What kind of meter a you refering to? it might help to let them know.

SprinklerGuy
03-24-2002, 07:51 PM
I was referring to the meter he was referring to......

noticed it was wired with telephone wire and explained that if she called a co with a meter to find the short and they saw it was phone wire

I thought maybe he meant he should have used an OHM meter to see if the solenoid was truly bad or if there was a break in the wire....blah blah blah. I really was just kidding no offense intended. Just think if a guy is doing irrigation work he ought to have the tools to do it. Didn't mean nothin by it HB Foxx!!!

By the way, you may have actually SAVED her money by replacing the wire. Lots of times we replace rather than trace with our 521 just because it can take longer to find nicks and cuts and stretches than it would take to dig a 100 foot trench and put in new wire. Plus, the warranty would then apply....blah blah blah

BTW Harold, get your service contract going yet? We have sold over 50 of ours and lotsa extra work coming in from those service contract clients. Could be a gold mine next season!

HBFOXJr
03-25-2002, 06:59 AM
I'll vote the wire replacement was good because the wire was wrong. Also some folks put splices in the ground, not just at valves. A lot of times it's cheaper to wholesale replace than screw around repairing an unknown hard to find problem.

Tony- been doing so much other stuff that servcie contracts are not to the top of the list yet.

We are drought emergency restricted here as of 2 weeks ago and can't water at all. Ouch! No work.

ProMo
03-25-2002, 07:33 AM
I believe replacement was the right thing to do the wire broke in two places around the valve just from touching it and i was using a volt meter the customer had in her garage it was an antique but i dug back two feet from valve no voltage and two feet on front side of first two valves had power so it was somewere in between lost money in time i spent but i gained a little knowledge anywere to look for a used meter?

HBFOXJr
03-25-2002, 08:54 AM
a volt ohm meter is so handy period. You can get a Fluke 7-300 for $50-60 that auto detects ac/dc ohms vs voltage. A 7300 that can do amps and other stuff is a little more.