PDA

View Full Version : I need help With my spring cleanups! Please

badgerfan
04-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I started my landscape business a few months ago and have about 30 accounts presently. I have taken on several spring cleanups that I will be doing next week. I was wondering if anyone could give me a brief breakdown of what exactly a spring cleanup consists of in the commercial landscape business. I would also appreciate it if somebody could help give me a better idea of the equipment and its applictions that I should use during the cleanup. I feel I have an idea of what a cleanup entails but would love to hear from someone who is more knowlegable than myself. Thanks everyone!

Ryan

verant
04-07-2009, 11:41 PM
well up here in MN..its often thatching with a front mount thatcher on a ZTR and then having a bagger to suck up all the debri of the dead thatch and left over leaves from last fall. Also cleaning out the beds and landscaping with a blower. All of the debri is usually hauled away also.

lawnproslawncare
04-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Remove leaves, clean gutters, edge concrete, dethatch, trim shrubs/tree's, mulch, and sometimes the owner will have more

LB1234
04-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Not to sound like a complete horses fanny but...

That's great that you already have 30 accounts and spring cleanups lined up but isn't the "spring cleanup" written out in the contract/s and spells out what is and/or what isn't included? If not you could possibly be running into some problems were an argument might take place b/t yourself and a customer on what you feel is included in a spring cleanup and what they think is included in a spring cleanup. Be careful.

Also, I'm curious how you priced the cleanups if you aren't exactly sure what that includes...at least that's how I'm interpreting your post. Correct if wrong please.

As for equipment...it can vary depending on what you are going to be doing for your spring cleanup. Hedgetrimmers to cut back perennials like ornamental grasses or prune shrubs (be carefull what you prune and when you prune it), leaf blower to get all the leaves out of the beds, gloves and handheld mallet for getting those hard to pull weeds out of the ground, carryall barrell to emtpy the weeds/leaves, etc. into wherever you are placing it, hand pruners for any selective pruning...the list goes on...depends how much you are doing and what the jobs are like.

badgerfan
04-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Yeah lb, I now realize that I should have spelled out in more detail exactly what my spring cleanups included in a contract. I have been telling customers that I am going to blow the leaves and debris out of the planting beds. I am saying that I will pick up sticks and debris from the yard. I also am saying that I will dethach the yard and bag the leaves from the yard. I think I told one or two that I would prune the dead growth from bushes.(dumb move) These are for good sized yards of about 17,500 square feet plus or minus. I started out quoting about 125 dollars until I realized that I was an idiot. My more recent bids have been around 280 dollars. I am learning as I go and probably won't make a dime on my first few jobs but I guess live and learn.

Does anyone know if the JRCO front mount dethacher works well?

lawnguyland
04-08-2009, 07:40 AM
yeah me too-

I started a plumbing business and have 30 accounts. Can anyone tell me how to fix a leaky faucet? Thanks.

Jimslawncareservice
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
yikes someone has his hands full.:confused:

Ducati996
04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm a gynecologist and I have thirty patients can anybody tell me what a vagina looks like? :laugh:

mwh350
04-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm a gynecologist and I have thirty patients can anybody tell me what a vagina looks like? :laugh:

Yep Sure can :)!

lawnguyland
04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
hilllll larious!

chuckhopkins76
04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Just do the work and do a good job. If you make money or loose money, do your best and you will learn how to price the next time. Maybe you will also pick up all of these customers on a regular mowing basis. I am in your boat i am new also. I do not have any buddies to ask, so I'm just quoteing what I feal I need to at least make a little. One day I will be a pricing pro. Good luck to me and you both.

sdk1959
04-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Like the others posters stated you should have it spelled out whats included in your spring clean-up and what is extra with commercial & residential accounts.

When dealing with residential customers for spring clean-ups with leftover leaves from the fall in the beds & flowers coming up be careful in your estimate. Most normal people have a leaf clean-up done in the fall & thier yard & beds are cleared of leaves when the flowers have all died back and damaging them is not a problem.

Stupido people leave the fall leaves there all winter and want the beds cleaned out in the spring just as the early flowers are coming up and don't want them damaged. Pretty hard not to when the flowers may be hidden under the leaves and your using rakes and blowers to clean out the beds.

Ask if they have flowers in the beds and tell them & write in your estimates you are not responsible for any damage to flowers. If they ask why tell them leaf clean-up should be done in the fall when the flowers have died back, not in the spring when they are just coming up and can be damaged. If they balk, walk. You'll be glad you did.

tmc8524
04-08-2009, 11:23 PM
As far as pricing goes, look at the job after youve done a couple to get your feet wet. Keep in mind how long similar jobs took you before and estimate how long it will take you. I charge between 40-50 $/hr depending on the customer and how tough the job is. Just a tip don't ever tell them you are charging by the hr or they will think you are screwing them, also, unless you have major competition start kind of high and if they say gee that's a lot, then maybe work with them a little. If they don't say anything about the price then you made good money. But mainly keep a fair price, do the best you can and you both will be happy. You win some and you lose some.

Mahoney3223
04-09-2009, 12:47 AM
does anyone on here realize lose is spelled with 1 "o" not two. guess that's why we cut grass...derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....also how do you have 30 accounts in one year?? sounds suspicious

THC
04-09-2009, 04:45 AM
I power rake, use a blower to clean beds and bushes (I blow it onto the lawn), I'll use what ever method of gather and bagging the thatch that is the fastest. Blowers, hand rakes, vacuum.. sometimes all three. Sometimes I'll cut it after with a bagger but only for regular maintenance customers. Buy lots of VERY large heavy duty bags and I fill them up using a scoop shovel.

I use to include power brooming of sand and gravel from left over snow banks but this year it's separate if they want it.

badgerfan
04-09-2009, 04:56 AM
does anyone on here realize lose is spelled with 1 "o" not two. guess that's why we cut grass...derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....also how do you have 30 accounts in one year?? sounds suspicious

Actually now at 32 accounts and growing by about 3 per day. No that is not a lie just tremendous amounts of effort in expanding

wildlandscape
04-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I have the Jrco rake for my Scag and it is amazing with all the stuff it pulls up. I do not include this service in my spring clean up though, it is an extra piece of equipment that needs to be bought and maintained so it costs extra,