PDA

View Full Version : Vista Lighting Seminar

cgaengineer
04-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Has anyone taken it? What is to be expected for a green horn?

They have one scheduled for April 24th at JDL and I plan on attending.

Flow Control
04-08-2009, 08:15 AM
I took it back in February. I was expecting the Vista product push but the one I went to was pretty good, I recommend it if you have the time. I learned a few things about different lenses & applications. I have taken similar classes before and this ranks up there for the basic level. I think their were 60-70 people there at the class. I have to have 10 CEU's a year so I take any classes that I can.

cgaengineer
04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Well hopefully I will learn something. I will say LV lighting is very new to me but I am interested in learning more. I have the Unique lighting manual but would like to see some real world installation tips/advice/suggestions.

I am not even sure LV Lighting is something I want to do right now because of the economy and the area we are in but would like to learn more about it. I have only installed lighting at my own house using Unique fixtures and a Unique transformer.

AI Inc
04-08-2009, 08:34 AM
I have done about 10 systems. Its not an easy sell. I do know one contractor around here that does well with it. When he sells landscaping he will mention it . If they dont bite , he will still set up a temp along the walkway , on his first or second day onsite.
He tells me , 9 times out of ten they end up buying.

cgaengineer
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I have done about 10 systems. Its not an easy sell. I do know one contractor around here that does well with it. When he sells landscaping he will mention it . If they dont bite , he will still set up a temp along the walkway , on his first or second day onsite.
He tells me , 9 times out of ten they end up buying.

Your friend is doing it the right way.

Besides the selling, I am not familiar enough with the art of lighting. I need to become more familiar with fixture choices, how to use a certain fixture, why that type, aiming...I am not the artistic type. I know what looks good, but I would not know where to start.

Anyone can pop some brass/copper fixtures in the lawn and call it low voltage lighting. This is what I want to avoid.

AI Inc
04-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Your friend is doing it the right way.

Besides the selling, I am not familiar enough with the art of lighting. I need to become more familiar with fixture choices, how to use a certain fixture, why that type, aiming...I am not the artistic type. I know what looks good, but I would not know where to start.

Anyone can pop some brass/copper fixtures in the lawn and call it low voltage lighting. This is what I want to avoid.

I have a good book around here somewhere. Ill look for it and let ya know the name. Its about exactly what your looking to learn.

AI Inc
04-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Author: Janet Lennox Moyer
2nd Revised EditionISBN: 9780471451365
ISBN-10: 0471451363
Publisher: John Wiley and Son
Date Published: 8/04/2005
Format: Hardback Book
Pages: 416
Language: English
RRP $190.00
Price $171.00

Approx Delivery
7-10 Days
Hardback Book
Book Description:

This is a richly illustrated and up-to-date source of practical guidance and hard-to-find technical data on all aspects of landscape lighting. The Landscape Lighting Book, Second Edition shows you how to achieve a wide range of beautiful and dramatic lighting effects. You'll get expert guidance and advice on the theory, design process, project needs, and techniques of landscape lighting. You'll find prizewinning projects designed by the author and other landscape lighting professionals throughout the United States. Plus, hundreds of diagrams, drawings, and black-and-white and full-color photographs illuminate topics and provide visually stunning insights into new and creative ways that lighting can transform landscapes.This fully updated edition covers the latest technologies and equipment and features new chapters on installation, documentation, and seasonal lighting. You'll also find: guidelines for preparing lighting drawings, control and transformer charts, symbol lists, and other technical specifications design strategies for avoiding potential conflicts between plantings and landscape lighting equipment accurate performance characteristics of all lighting materials, finishes, and fixtures the best ways to locate fixtures, set appropriate light levels, and perform preventive system maintenance the special lighting needs of plants in indoor environments and, a complete listing of fixtures, controls, lamps, and accessories manufacturers and vendors.Whether you're seeking to sculpt a landscape with light or make an outdoor space useable at night, The Landscape Lighting Book, Second Edition shares all the technical and creative insights you'll need to beautify your landscaping

cgaengineer
04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I have seen that one on Amazon and wondered about it. So you think its a good book for us simple type AI? The price sure is not very good!!

AI Inc
04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Actualy I will sell you mine for $65 if you want it.

AI Inc
04-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Its a good book, but I have attn span problems.

cgaengineer
04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Actualy I will sell you mine for $65 if you want it.

I'll take it. Sent PM.

AI Inc
04-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I'll take it. Sent PM.

OK , its at my office in Mass , Ill probably be there sometime today.

sprinklerchris
04-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Author: Janet Lennox Moyer
2nd Revised EditionISBN: 9780471451365
ISBN-10: 0471451363
Publisher: John Wiley and Son
Date Published: 8/04/2005
Format: Hardback Book
Pages: 416
Language: English
RRP $190.00
Price $171.00

Approx Delivery
7-10 Days
Hardback Book
Book Description:

This is a richly illustrated and up-to-date source of practical guidance and hard-to-find technical data on all aspects of landscape lighting. The Landscape Lighting Book, Second Edition shows you how to achieve a wide range of beautiful and dramatic lighting effects. You'll get expert guidance and advice on the theory, design process, project needs, and techniques of landscape lighting. You'll find prizewinning projects designed by the author and other landscape lighting professionals throughout the United States. Plus, hundreds of diagrams, drawings, and black-and-white and full-color photographs illuminate topics and provide visually stunning insights into new and creative ways that lighting can transform landscapes.This fully updated edition covers the latest technologies and equipment and features new chapters on installation, documentation, and seasonal lighting. You'll also find: guidelines for preparing lighting drawings, control and transformer charts, symbol lists, and other technical specifications design strategies for avoiding potential conflicts between plantings and landscape lighting equipment accurate performance characteristics of all lighting materials, finishes, and fixtures the best ways to locate fixtures, set appropriate light levels, and perform preventive system maintenance the special lighting needs of plants in indoor environments and, a complete listing of fixtures, controls, lamps, and accessories manufacturers and vendors.Whether you're seeking to sculpt a landscape with light or make an outdoor space useable at night, The Landscape Lighting Book, Second Edition shares all the technical and creative insights you'll need to beautify your landscaping

I have this book and have found it to be helpful.

sprinklerchris
04-09-2009, 04:35 PM

Good classes usually. Vista does a good job and does not just push product like the other manufacturers.

Tomwilllight
04-09-2009, 05:46 PM
You may want to check my web site - www.WLLD.us - I have reviewed all of the books on Landscape Lighting that are independently published. I didn't review books published by manufacturers.

The reviews may help you to get started.

Tom

cgaengineer
04-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks Tom. For everyone else I signed up for the seminar and will be going April 24th.

dave k
04-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Chris, I attended it last year in Kennesaw, I may take it again as a refresher.
Dave

cgaengineer
04-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Chris, I attended it last year in Kennesaw, I may take it again as a refresher.
Dave

We can ride together if you want. Let me know and I will swing by your house or you can pick me up at the office.

Tomwilllight
04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Chris and Dave,

I'd like to meet up with you two the next I visit family in Athens.

Later, Tom

cgaengineer
04-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Chris and Dave,

Later, Tom

Sounds good, let us know.

dave k
04-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Chris and Dave,

Later, Tom

Tom, just let us know, I live about 15 to 20 min. from UGA
Actually have a Statham mailing address, when will you be in town?

Dave

Tomwilllight
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Don't know yet. May not be until Thanksgiving but I would like to get back sooner. I have a Great-nephew who just turned 1 and we need to see him again.

Tom

dave k
04-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Good, we can talk TURKEY then. :laugh: