PDA

View Full Version : Patio on hill

qualitycut
04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Ok I have a patio I am bidding on. It is on a slope, I will have a wall on the lower part of the hill about 2 feet in the center and maybe a foot to 6 inches into the hill about 23 feet long curved. Question is when I excavate for the patio should I put some dirt behind the wall or use only base material and clear? There will be a 2 foot planting area between the wall and the patio. I have done quite a few patios and walls but none on a hill and had to use a wall to make the grade level.

Thanks for any suggestions.

GMTA
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Just build it as if you were building a raised patio for that lower end to raise the patio up to grade. Your only problem is that the rain water is now going to flow right into your planting bed and behind your wall. Make sure to use proper drainage. In my opinion this is an odd design if I am following your plans. Why not do the raised patio with the wall, steps coming down through the wall, and planting beds in front of the wall instead of between the wall and patio like your saying?

PatriotLandscape
04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
use clean 3/4 in the raised area and make sure you use geo fabric or you'll be reparing it. take it from my expirience.