PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Book

BLC1
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
How many of your advertise with Yellow Book.

Any feedback on price and results would be appreciated.

Thanks

PROCUT1
04-08-2009, 01:56 PM
The phonebook seems a little ancient for me.

I dont know of anyone who still uses one. I get probably 5 or 6 different ones a year to my office and they go from the parking lot to the dumpster and never come out of the plastic.

The rates seem HUGE compared to the results you are likely to get now that computers have taken over.

Just my opinion.

Duffster
04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
The phonebook seems a little ancient for me.

I dont know of anyone who still uses one. I get probably 5 or 6 different ones a year to my office and they go from the parking lot to the dumpster and never come out of the plastic.

The rates seem HUGE compared to the results you are likely to get now that computers have taken over.

Just my opinion.

I agree somewhat

Where do people go to on the computer, yellow book dot com?

PROCUT1
04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I just google everything.

Type in the what youre looking for and the location and there it is.

BLC1
04-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Thats what I was thinking would be the biggest benefit is listed on their online search. The book goes out to a few hundred thousand people, if a few look at it great but, I was thinking if people are searching at yellowbook.com that would be the real value.

POPO4995
04-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I have ad's in two phone books, but next year will only be one. Just dont see the response I should get from the amount of money spent.

PROCUT1
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
With how many people i have seen in advertising over the years in the phone book I had thought it was a relatively cheap way.

Until I had the phone book people here a few years ago.

We talk about my ad....Etc etc....

Finally we get to the price.

He tells me $750.

I almost fell out of my chair.....$750 a year for the dam phone book???????????????/

He says.....

NO

$750 a MONTH for the phone book.

Meeting over.

BLC1
04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
They are running a pretty good special right now in this area. If you can land one job a month from your ad, you are paying for it.

BLC1
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
It actually seemed relatively cheap. Especially taking into consideration the online advertising you will get.

PROCUT1
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Anything you do to get your name out there is a good thing.

Marketing is all about name recognition. Its a whole program.

Most people complain about this or that advertising because they do it hit and miss.

....Put out 1000 flyers...No calls
Flyers suck

Well thats not how you have successful marketing.

Those same 1000 flyers have to go out to the same 1000 people many times.
Having your truck and trailer lettered may not directly get you jobs. But people see your truck, then see your flyer and put it together.

Same with yard signs, a website, phone book.

Its all about getting your name in front of a lot of people a lot of times.

Then it will fall into place.

My business is not lawn anymore and I dont target residential homeowners. Most of the people who would contact me are sitting at a desk at a computer, hours away from the job in my area.

So for me, its more beneficial to target them with a website and emails.

If I were doing residential homes. I would be in the phone book with a small ad. There are many people who dont use a computer and still use the yellow pages.

Just not my target market.

BLC1
04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
I agree with you 100%.

The deal the guy was telling me about was 5 lines for 38 bucks a month.

EDEN77
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I've been advertising in the Yellow Book for a few years now. For me, it's worth it. I get calls throughout the year. I added an ad in another Yellow Book for a neighboring county 2 years ago. Expensive ? How can you tell ? Each ad is under $1000.00 a year for a decent sized box ad. Get 1 or 2 good accounts from each ad and you've paid for the advertising. Other guys on Lawnsite have had success with flyers and even cold-calling. For me, I wish I would have started an ad 15 years ago.

IN2MOWN
04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
$4000.00 towards Yellow Book in the last 3 years.

2 calls.

No thanks. Never again.

honeydopm
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
$3000 a year for a dollar bill sized ad and havn't landed one account yet or had many calls-dont wast your money. I wish i would have spent my money elsewhere, like buying bulk flyers. You live you learn but learn from others mistakes!

Economy Landscaping
04-30-2009, 12:35 PM
dont waste your money... i did it for my old business and i lost way too much money paying them. To be honest... i really didnt get any business from them... $12,000 for 0 in return... yeah... not good (I was in 3 books and was listed in 3 location in the book (1 1/2 page ad plus 2 1/4 page adds)) what a waste of money...

jtisc01
05-28-2009, 12:49 AM
yellowbook.com is even a bigger joke, I've paid 105.00 a month for a top listing and have received not one call from the ad. Their salemen are sharks. be careful.

DLAWNS
05-28-2009, 07:00 AM
I had a terrible experience with them. They screwed up my ad and then gave me the run around. They straight up suck! Besides that I got like 3 calls, landed 1 and the customer bankrupted me. So I would have been better of spending my money elsewhere.