PDA

View Full Version : Selling/ spreading mulch

lone wolf
04-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I have done many mulch jobs before and always sold mulch at retail cost and then our hourly rate. That is a hard sale because people most times base their decison on cost up front. I was thinking that their is a better way to tell a client how much it would cost them for a mulch job. Had many people ask us already about spreading mulch. How you guys handle their pricing with mulch?

Example: 1 yard retail cost is $30. Would/ could I double the retail cost? Bid it at $60 per yard installed? Or add 50% equals $45 per yard? Is their a better way to figure out this out?

yourmove
04-09-2009, 08:56 PM
When I sell and apply mulch, I figure cost + delivery (if I deliver) + hourly rate for application. I usually charge one hour labor per cubic yard. Sometimes I'll adjust my labor rate for how easy or hard spreading the mulch may be. Depending on the product I get anywhere from $60 - $90 per applied yard.

lone wolf
04-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey yourmove, thanks for getting back to me. That is kinda what I been hearing is doubling the retail price per yard installed. I do like what you do, 1 yard equals 1 man labor hour. P.S. been out doing clean ups, feels great after a long winter.

Murphy's LawnCare
04-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I multiply by 2.25 usually come out pretty well that way and I do not get turned down on many jobs figuring at that price.

JeffNY
04-09-2009, 09:53 PM
depends how far you have to go from the mulch pile to the area being mulched. If I gotta screw around and walk all over the yard with it, 2x what I paid, if I can get away with not using a wheel barrel then about 1.75x what I paid.

Lawnut101
04-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Well if I'm only spreading a few yards, then I give them a price per yard (I figure about double what I pay but I have a minimum of $50/yd even for the free crappy stuff from the city) and then when I am going to be spreading more than let's say 5 yards, I will figure cost of mulch, delivery and markup + about an hour of labor for each yard. I think that's what I have to do to get work around here. You can't use a multiplier for bigger jobs and get work. For instance, if I figure $80/yd installed for 10 yds, well that's $800 plus tax. I guarantee someone will come in around $600 and get the job, and make money, maybe not as much as they think, but they will make some.

Lawnut101
04-10-2009, 12:16 AM
I multiply by 2.25 usually come out pretty well that way and I do not get turned down on many jobs figuring at that price.

Is this formula for smaller amounts of mulch, like 2-3yds? I can't see getting this kind of money for big jobs, unless you get the mulch for $20/yd

familylawncare
04-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Remember, hopefully you are not paying retail for mulch. Here, we get it for $17-$21 then SELL for retail of $30 plus tax, and charge $30 per yard to install. Makes a good profit

MBS Services
04-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I am in Ohio and I just priced a job yesterday. The mulh at my price is $36 cu yd and I doubled the price for my labor. The job comes in at 15 cu yds and there are 10 tree and 10 different beds to wheelbarrow to. The customer looked at me like I was on crack. I don't feel that I was to high for what needed done.

topsites
04-10-2009, 12:09 PM
It is true, the distance I have to push that barrow makes a difference.

STIHL GUY
04-10-2009, 12:59 PM
i just did a mulch job this morning. it helps when the beds are close to the mulch pile so that your not pushing the barrow all over the place. i was able to spread 5 yds in 2 hours by myself