PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Trailer

CHRIS92789
04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,
I just bought my Uncle's old trailer from him. Its about 13 feet long and maybe 6 feet wide. The trailer is an ATV trailer and you could fit 3 full size (250) ATV's on it. The only problem with the trailer is the wheels are inside the frame and they come threw the trailer and above the floor if that makes any sense. There is about 2 to 3 inches of tire showing. Now my question is can i raise the floor of the trailer i was thinking maybe using 4/4 and outlining the trailer? Also is there anywhere i could by the lift gate's for landscaping trailers? If anyone has any ideas please let me know! I will post pictures tomorrow of the trailer.

Thanks,
Chris

superrman77
04-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I am doing the same thing you are doing. My wheels are on the inside. You prob have a old camper trailer. That is what mine is. Just make you some fenders to put over the tires. That would be the best thing to do.

CHRIS92789
04-09-2009, 09:06 PM
It's def. not a camper trailer. Its an atv trailer. I need the whole deck though. Other wise i cant fit my mowers onto the trailer. I think im just going to pretty much put a deck on the trailer. I'll take pictures tomorrow!

-chris

DRBLawnBuster
04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Look at my thread in my signature just click on the link there are a few pictures of the trailer i made fomr an old pop -up, my 48" mower jsut fits between the 2 fenders.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
04-10-2009, 05:40 PM
you could put a new axle on it and make it wider than trailer or get a drop axle to raise it up some

CHRIS92789
04-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I actually think I'm going to go with the longer axle. For right now ill just redo the decking of the trailer and use it for the time being until i can afford a new axle.

South Florida Lawns
04-11-2009, 02:03 PM
I say raise it then you'll have a deck over trailer, those are nice, just make sure you make the ramp longer otherwise the angle will be steep.

hondarancher4435
04-12-2009, 01:02 AM
couple options

1. put more leafs in to lock out the suspension and cover the whole deck but that will give you a really bumpy ride.

2. get a welding shop to make new shackles for the leafs that drop them down and build you a gate.

i say for money reasons add a couple leafs and call it done with. i am actually in the process of converting a boat trailer to a utility trailer.

CHRIS92789
04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah i finished ripping the rest of the wood off this morning. I think im going to frame it out with 4x4's and use marine ply wood to deck it out. I should have 3 inches of clearance for my tires. Now its just money.

hondarancher4435
04-12-2009, 05:50 PM
im telling you that is not a good idea and it will not look good why not take one of the other routes and make your equipment look nice.