PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my English Boxwoods?

oOTurfmanoO
04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
We installed these guys last September, trimmed them and that was it. We were/are scheduled to finish everything this Spring.

Why do they look like this? It seems that the ones closer to the house are not as bad and if you look inside of them it is still reletively green. From what I hear it's wind damage as these guys are not tolerable of excessive winds.
Do you think they will bounce back? Some are yellow but still fel fleshy and others seem crisp as a new 100 dollar bill!

They were purchased from a wholesaler so there is no warranty with them. But the reality of it is it was a n act of God right? I did not buy/sell/install $hitty material so there would be nadda to stand behind for a return.

Any input....

dKoester
04-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Root fungus or english boxwood decline. Was there alot of snow on them over the winter?

Horizon Lawn
04-09-2009, 09:38 PM
i believe it will trim out of them this spring. It looks to me like they are just suffering from the cold of the winter.

betmr
04-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Did your customer keep up with watering them ?

betmr
04-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I looked at your picture again. Look at the ones behind the shed, they are greener, No ? Could this be wind damage drying the foliage ? just a thought. Cold wind off that pond.

White Gardens
04-10-2009, 02:44 AM
The last trimming on the boxwoods was too late last year.

The newer growth wasn't hardy enough to withstand the cold and wind.

Next year, do the last pruning earlier in the season.

oOTurfmanoO
04-10-2009, 07:37 AM
yep, it seems as though the ones closer to the home are less damaged. Some of the plants have no green in them.

Would I be responsible for this?

yardatwork
04-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd blame it on the winter. Boxwoods are hard to kill. They should rebound and green up. If doable, trim out/off all the brown and you'll get new green growth.

White Gardens
04-10-2009, 10:19 AM
yep, it seems as though the ones closer to the home are less damaged. Some of the plants have no green in them.

Would I be responsible for this?

Possibly, did you do a contract?? Did you discuss with the HO about warranty on the plants ?? Do you personally offer any sort of warranty either expressed or implied ?? Did you do research on the plant to make sure it would work in those conditions ?? Do you want to keep a good reputation ?? All questions you have to ask yourself.

I buy all my plants from local nurseries instead of doing wholesale. 75% of the time they have a 1 year warranty on most plants, trees, and shrubs, then I'm not 100% responsible for the cost of materials if a warranty issue arises.

White Gardens
04-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I'd blame it on the winter. Boxwoods are hard to kill. They should rebound and green up. If doable, trim out/off all the brown and you'll get new green growth.

I've seen a lot of boxwoods take a beating this year. The winter was extremely hard on them in our area, and it seems like there are a lot of guys planting them in areas where they shouldn't.

I struggled at one place to keep them alive for 3 years because the HO insisted I try to save them. Nothing like planting next to a side-walk, that gets salted heavily, and exposed directly to the north-west winds. I finally talked them into ripping them out and doing something different.

betmr
04-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Who took care of them, after planting ? I would'nt worry too soon, give them a chance to perk up, and get used to the new environment.

JNyz
04-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Did you check for leafminer?

Elite Outdoor
04-10-2009, 11:14 PM
You trimmed them to late in the year. English boxwoods for whatever reason can be very sensitive to trimming.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-10-2009, 11:35 PM
I have some at a customers that are right by the parking lot........they have the same kind of look to them.......I believe it is salt related....

oOTurfmanoO
04-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I had no idea of the high winds at the location. We actually had great conditions during install.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have wrapped them in burlap b4 winter hit.

EVM
04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
The boxwood will come back, do not touch them until all shrubs have popped with Spring growth; usually in the second-third week of May. I would go over the shrubs with my hands to knock the dead leaf off if they don't fall off by that time. Those plants will be fine.

Oh I forgot, NEVER, EVER use that many boxwoods again.

betmr
04-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Wide open space there, and open water, usually indicate windy conditions in winter, nice skating rink right in their back yard, does the ice still get thick out that way ?

White Gardens
04-11-2009, 01:38 PM
You trimmed them to late in the year. English boxwoods for whatever reason can be very sensitive to trimming.

It's not necessarily the trimming, but more that the new growth hasn't become "hardened" yet, and it makes it more susceptible to winter damage.

I've seen the same thing happen to many different types of shrubs that were trimmed too late.

The boxwoods might come back and look better this year, but I have a feeling that with the location, there will be winter damage every season.

shade tree landscaping
04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
i have noticed alot of them in my area (central NJ) doing the same thing. Some are in windy spots, others are not at all. I wonder if maybe its a diesase that is hitting the boxwoods in the northeast

oOTurfmanoO
04-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Wide open space there, and open water, usually indicate windy conditions in winter, nice skating rink right in their back yard, does the ice still get thick out that way ?

yep, I never entertained the thought of open area and a nice wind comming from the lake!

I never paid attention to it during the winter as far as ice.

Whitey4
04-11-2009, 09:50 PM
The last trimming on the boxwoods was too late last year.

The newer growth wasn't hardy enough to withstand the cold and wind.

Next year, do the last pruning earlier in the season.

I stopped reading at this post. Mr White is spot on. You prune too late, and get late season growth sprouts. This new growth is not hardy enough to get through the winter.

Trm off the yellowing dead growth early, let them fill in the openings, and prune as needed, but not beyond Sept 1 this year.