PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS52 weedeater question

Field King
04-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Is the FS52 a straight shaft? I see one listed at an upcoming yard sale ad but no number to call ahead.

starry night
04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
FS52 is a curved shaft. I have one and wish I could find another 1 or 2. I don't like the newer ones. The older one which I have has been rebuilt a couple times.
I just prefer the balance and the counter-clockwise head rotation.

Juan_Deere
04-09-2009, 11:26 PM
FS52 is a curved shaft. I have one and wish I could find another 1 or 2. I don't like the newer ones. The older one which I have has been rebuilt a couple times.

I've never seen a weedeater that DIDN'T rotate counter-clockwise. Am I missing something here?

powernoje
04-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I've never seen a weedeater that DIDN'T rotate counter-clockwise. Am I missing something here?

straight shaft trimmers and curved shaft trimmers rotate in different directions...

starry night
04-09-2009, 11:48 PM
straight shaft trimmers and curved shaft trimmers rotate in different directions...

I wouldn't argue with you except ...........I've bought several Stihl string trimmers and the newer Stihl engines rotate clockwise even in the curved shafts. That's why I keep rebuilding my earlier Stihls because I have such a hard time using the ones that are clockwise. I'm too old to learn new tricks.

Juan_Deere
04-10-2009, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't argue with you except ...........I've bought several Stihl string trimmers and the newer Stihl engines rotate clockwise even in the curved shafts. That's why I keep rebuilding my earlier Stihls because I have such a hard time using the ones that are clockwise. I'm too old to learn new tricks.

What you are saying doesn't make sense. After powernoje's post, I went and looked at some of my trimmers. All of the straight shaft rotate counter-clockwise, and all of the curved shaft rotate clockwise. So if Stihl has gone to only clockwise in all their trimmers, that means the straight shaft are the ones that changed, not the curved shaft.

Tofutti
06-19-2011, 09:56 PM

Old thread, I know... But I just revived an old FS52 that I've had, but never started in over ten years, until today. Was going to pull the engine and swap it with another old FS44 so I'd have a straight shaft. The piston, rings and cylinder walls look great. I just can't seem to get the needle valves happy enough. If you're willing to either come get it, or ship it over, you can just have it.

It starts and runs, idles for a few mins then eventually dies out. Exhaust screen is clean. Also pulled the fuel filter off, just to troubleshoot that: The original filter had disintegrated completely. Cleared the line, backflushed it too. Pulled carb apart and cleaned it all. Looks good, just can't seem to get needles right. Great compression for such an old machine really. It's a good runner, I just suck with needle valves.

Yours if you want it.

starry night
06-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the offer but in the meantime I have come up with a couple older ones to fix up. Regards.

Tofutti
06-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Not a problem. I find older machines almost every day and rather than seeing them end up in scrap piles, I try to revive them. Most of them need nothing. I just think that every time I pull an old machine out of the pile and save it, that may just save somebody scouring ebay for parts because they are in love with that old model for some reason. I want nothing out of it other than being able to see an old machine being used once again for what it was made for, rather than being crushed and melted down.

We still use old Echo's every day that I've pulled from the scrap pile and started right up.

Any other old stuff you or somebody you know would like to get ahold of, hit me up. I just want to see it used again.

Humbertslawncare
06-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey man. I have a FS 52 that is about shot. I would like to get this off of you. How much would you be willing to sell it for. Thanks in advance.

Tofutti
06-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey man. I have a FS 52 that is about shot. I would like to get this off of you. How much would you be willing to sell it for. Thanks in advance.

If you were talking to me, you can simply have it for no charge. You just need to find a way to get it there, or pay shipping. If you want to leave a "tip" for it, you can, however I am asking nothing for it. I'd just be happy to see it find an actual home.

Mjrtude
07-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Did you ever get rid of the FS-52. I just picked one up, Love it but its missing the air cleaner cover. I believe Stihl offered two versions one w a snap over plastic cover, which is what I have and another w a bolt on cover for the air cleaner. I was able to find a used bolt on version on ebay but I'm not sure if I am going to be able to get it to work. Do you have any fs-52 parts floating around such as the air cleaner filter and snap on cover?

thanks
Frank